• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 Investec Tri-Nations Squad

C

candybum

http://allblacks.com/news/10432/Eaton-and-...i-Nations-squad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The selection of 2008 All Blacks, lock Jason Eaton and winger Hosea Gear, and the return of All Black veterans Richie McCaw, Rodney So'oialo and Sitiveni Sivivatu, are the key features of the 30-strong All Blacks squad for the Investec Tri Nations, announced today by All Blacks Coach Graham Henry and his Assistant Coaches Wayne Smith and Steve Hansen.

John Afoa - Auckland
Jimmy Cowan - Southland
Wyatt Crockett - Canterbury
Aled de Malmanche - Waikato
Stephen Donald - Waikato
Jason Eaton - Taranaki
Bryn Evans - Hawke's Bay
Owen Franks - Canterbury
Hosea Gear - Wellington
Andrew Hore - Taranaki
Cory Jane - Wellington
Jerome Kaino - Auckland
Tanerau Latimer - Bay of Plenty
Brendon Leonard - Waikato
Luke McAlister - North Harbour
Richie McCaw - Canterbury (Captain)
Keven Mealamu - Auckland
Mils Muliaina - Waikato
Ma'a Nonu - Wellington
Kieran Read - Canterbury
Josevata Rokocoko - Auckland
Isaac Ross - Canterbury
Sitiveni Sivivatu - Waikato
Conrad Smith - Wellington
Rodney So'oialo - Wellington
Brad Thorn - Canterbury
Isaia Toeava - Auckland
Neemia Tialata - Wellington
Piri Weepu - Wellington
Tony Woodcock - North Harbour

The squad is made up of 17 forwards and 13 backs with the forwards bolstered by the return of All Blacks captain Richie McCaw who has recovered from his pre-Iveco Series knee injury, while Rodney So'oialo returns after his recovery and rehabilitation. In the backs, Sitiveni Sivivatu returns after recovering from a dislocated shoulder, which ruled him out of the Iveco Series.

It will be a quick turnaround for 26-year-old Hurricanes and Taranaki lock Jason Eaton and 25-year-old Hurricanes and Wellington winger Hosea Gear, who last played for the All Blacks on the 2008 Grand Slam tour, with the pair returning to New Zealand yesterday after helping the Junior All Blacks to victory in the recent IRB Pacific Nations Cup in the Pacific Islands.

Meanwhile, the injury news for the All Blacks continues, with Isaia Toeava likely to miss the first three Tests of the Investec Tri Nations, with a scan late this week confirming that he has a stress fracture in his left foot; while Stephen Donald is also recovering from his hamstring strain.

The All Blacks squad will assemble in Wellington for a two-day camp next week (Wednesday and Thursday) and four players will assemble with the squad for the camp as cover: Hurricanes and Wellington utility back Tamati Ellison, Crusaders and Canterbury first five-eighths Stephen Brett and 2008 All Blacks Ben Franks and Anthony Tuitavake, who were all members of the victorious Junior All Blacks squad.

Players not considered for selection due to injury include lock Ali Williams (Achilles), wing Rudi Wulf (shoulder), flanker Adam Thomson (hand), centre Richard Kahui (shoulder), lock Anthony Boric (toe), halfback Andy Ellis (ribs), hooker Corey Flynn (forearm), flanker Scott Waldrom (back) and first-five eighths Daniel Carter (Achilles).

All Blacks Coach Graham Henry said the team was under no illusions how challenging this year's Investec Tri Nations would be.

"It's going to be a huge contest right from the first Test. But this group of players has the resolve and the character to meet that challenge head on so we are expecting it to be another massive competition between the three top-ranked countries in world rugby," he said.

The All Blacks open the Investec Tri Nations on Saturday July 18 when they take on the Wallabies at Eden Park, Auckland, in the first Bledisloe Cup clash before they head to South Africa for two Tests against the Springboks at Vodacom Park, Bloemfontein (July 25) and ABSA Stadium, Durban (August 1). They play the Wallabies at ANZ Stadium, Sydney, on August 22 and finish the competition with two home Tests against the Springboks at Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, on September 12 and the Wallabies at Westpac Stadium, Wellington, the following week on September 19.

The All Blacks will assemble in Auckland on Sunday 12 July ahead of the Auckland Bledisloe Cup Test.

Meanwhile, tickets to the Auckland Test are selling quickly with almost 30,000 sold and just 2,000 remaining. Tickets cost as little as $20 for children and $50 for adults and are available from Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.co.nz or 0800 111 999).

Ticket holders and Eden Park ground members are encouraged to use the free transport options available to and from the park – visit www.maxx.co.nz closer to the date for full details.[/b]

Some inevitable inclusions and omissions. Can't help but to feel Messam was a scapegoat for the 1st test loss. And seems silly to have 5 props when Franks is very unlikely to get any game time. Discuss.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Jul 4 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The selection of 2008 All Blacks, lock Jason Eaton and winger Hosea Gear, and the return of All Black veterans Richie McCaw, Rodney So'oialo and Sitiveni Sivivatu, are the key features of the 30-strong All Blacks squad for the Investec Tri Nations, announced today by All Blacks Coach Graham Henry and his Assistant Coaches Wayne Smith and Steve Hansen.

John Afoa - Auckland
Jimmy Cowan - Southland
Wyatt Crockett - Canterbury
Aled de Malmanche - Waikato
Stephen Donald - Waikato
Jason Eaton - Taranaki
Bryn Evans - Hawke’s Bay
Owen Franks - Canterbury
Hosea Gear - Wellington
Andrew Hore - Taranaki
Cory Jane - Wellington
Jerome Kaino - Auckland
Tanerau Latimer - Bay of Plenty
Brendon Leonard - Waikato
Luke McAlister - North Harbour
Richie McCaw - Canterbury (Captain)
Keven Mealamu - Auckland
Mils Muliaina - Waikato
Ma’a Nonu - Wellington
Kieran Read - Canterbury
Josevata Rokocoko - Auckland
Isaac Ross - Canterbury
Sitiveni Sivivatu - Waikato
Conrad Smith - Wellington
Rodney So’oialo - Wellington
Brad Thorn - Canterbury
Isaia Toeava - Auckland
Neemia Tialata - Wellington
Piri Weepu - Wellington
Tony Woodcock - North Harbour

The squad is made up of 17 forwards and 13 backs with the forwards bolstered by the return of All Blacks captain Richie McCaw who has recovered from his pre-Iveco Series knee injury, while Rodney So’oialo returns after his recovery and rehabilitation. In the backs, Sitiveni Sivivatu returns after recovering from a dislocated shoulder, which ruled him out of the Iveco Series.

It will be a quick turnaround for 26-year-old Hurricanes and Taranaki lock Jason Eaton and 25-year-old Hurricanes and Wellington winger Hosea Gear, who last played for the All Blacks on the 2008 Grand Slam tour, with the pair returning to New Zealand yesterday after helping the Junior All Blacks to victory in the recent IRB Pacific Nations Cup in the Pacific Islands.

Meanwhile, the injury news for the All Blacks continues, with Isaia Toeava likely to miss the first three Tests of the Investec Tri Nations, with a scan late this week confirming that he has a stress fracture in his left foot; while Stephen Donald is also recovering from his hamstring strain.

The All Blacks squad will assemble in Wellington for a two-day camp next week (Wednesday and Thursday) and four players will assemble with the squad for the camp as cover: Hurricanes and Wellington utility back Tamati Ellison, Crusaders and Canterbury first five-eighths Stephen Brett and 2008 All Blacks Ben Franks and Anthony Tuitavake, who were all members of the victorious Junior All Blacks squad.

Players not considered for selection due to injury include lock Ali Williams (Achilles), wing Rudi Wulf (shoulder), flanker Adam Thomson (hand), centre Richard Kahui (shoulder), lock Anthony Boric (toe), halfback Andy Ellis (ribs), hooker Corey Flynn (forearm), flanker Scott Waldrom (back) and first-five eighths Daniel Carter (Achilles).

All Blacks Coach Graham Henry said the team was under no illusions how challenging this year’s Investec Tri Nations would be.

“It’s going to be a huge contest right from the first Test. But this group of players has the resolve and the character to meet that challenge head on so we are expecting it to be another massive competition between the three top-ranked countries in world rugby,†he said.

The All Blacks open the Investec Tri Nations on Saturday July 18 when they take on the Wallabies at Eden Park, Auckland, in the first Bledisloe Cup clash before they head to South Africa for two Tests against the Springboks at Vodacom Park, Bloemfontein (July 25) and ABSA Stadium, Durban (August 1). They play the Wallabies at ANZ Stadium, Sydney, on August 22 and finish the competition with two home Tests against the Springboks at Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, on September 12 and the Wallabies at Westpac Stadium, Wellington, the following week on September 19.

The All Blacks will assemble in Auckland on Sunday 12 July ahead of the Auckland Bledisloe Cup Test.

Meanwhile, tickets to the Auckland Test are selling quickly with almost 30,000 sold and just 2,000 remaining. Tickets cost as little as $20 for children and $50 for adults and are available from Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.co.nz or 0800 111 999).

Ticket holders and Eden Park ground members are encouraged to use the free transport options available to and from the park â€" visit www.maxx.co.nz closer to the date for full details.[/b]

Some inevitable inclusions and omissions. Can't help but to feel Messam was a scapegoat for the 1st test loss. And seems silly to have 5 props when Franks is very unlikely to get any game time. Discuss.
[/b][/quote]

Squad quite impressive

I guess the ABs fans are satisfied by this team

f***ing disgrace... seriously what did Read do in the first game? he was unheard of. At least Messam was out there being proactive when the all blacks' were getting dominated, playing stupid rugby and not kicking... Henry didnt even give him a chance to prove himself, im sure he would of had a blinder the next week or even against italy, on the bench at least jesus he even said that messam missed tackles and got turned over, SO DID READ, he was the man that missed the first try and he didnt even touch the f**king ball let alone appear in the breakdown... And masaga should of played in the PNC... i mean i think its a bit slack, as good as a player gear is, i think masaga could of done the same or even better against the lower tier teams and proven himself just as gear was allowed to. Whitelock was looking promising as well i would of liked to see him there, oh well, come end of year tour and im sure he would of replaced latimer in there. The five prop crap is nonsense as well, like you said candybum, franks aint going to get time, unless one of the props has a sort of injury we arent aware of (Tialata or Woodcock?). Nice to see Ross finding his feet, although i dont think he'll be too effective come Tri Nations when we lock horns in the grind with the other teams. his style opts for the open game and i dont think we'll be seeing too much of that. I hope Messam can come back strong for the end of year tour, he was YEARS ahead of Read this year in super 14 and was hard done by henry.

I don't see New Zealand winning the 3teams1cup this year, their team doesn't seem to be that great compared to the All Blacks of yesteryear I think SA will win it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Jul 6 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't see New Zealand winning the 3teams1cup this year, their team doesn't seem to be that great compared to the All Blacks of yesteryear I think SA will win it.[/b]

I agree

While I am a big Hosea Gear fan, I can't help but think that Lelia Masaga didn't get the opertunity he diserved. I mean he got one game, and he was swapped for Cory Jane in the 60th minute. End of year toar, I see the biggest victim of all being brought back...Scott Waldrom, gotta feel really sorry for him, he should have started all 3 of those tests and been on the bench for Tri Nations, however due to injury, his big oppertunity was was lost to Latimer...I think people are ruleing NZ out too much, I think it is possible for us to win, however I have to admit, NZ is coming into the tournement in worse form.

Messam was given an opertunity, was he hard done by? yes, but when you get an oppertunity to shine, don't play like a freaken center if your position is #8. Read, and i am hardly his biggest fan, at least did what he was supposed to do, did he do it amazingly? no, but he got to the breakdowns, helped distribute the ball ect, unlike Messam, who stands in the backline and trys a grubber kick...

The think Gear has that Masaga dosn't is Masaga seems to be good with ball in hand however I am impressed with how Gear contributes and reads the game, I would like to see both the wingers with great futures.

We were written off last year and we saw what happened there. I can't say I'm too worried, even if we don't win I think that the pride in wearing the black jersey will inspire the team to perform like the All Blacks of yesteryear.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Jul 7 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We were written off last year and we saw what happened there. I can't say I'm too worried, even if we don't win I think that the pride in wearing the black jersey will inspire the team to perform like the All Blacks of yesteryear.[/b]

Just like the pride of wearing the Queensland Reds jersey inspires the Reds to <strike>lose</strike> perform like the Reds of yesteryear

You guys kidding right. NZ will win yet another Tri-Nations however I do feel it will be very close call with OZ pushing hard.

If Oz had the two home games against NZ this year I would predict a Wallabies win.

The All Blacks don't really look as menacing as they have been in the past but I'm sure we still have a good chance of winning the series even thou there's a few injuries and still a couple players that need more game time.

Hope Roks can pick his game up and show us that he's still got what it takes to take on the Boks and Ozzies. If he doesn't to be honest even thou I'm a Hosea Gear fan I think Masaga should have been given a proper go and if he wasn't being tossed up between the Juniors and All Blacks he could of shown the 3 wisemen what he's really made of.

Latest posts