• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 Player of the Year

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 13 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fourie du Preez makes a strong case. I would say the candidates that may be in the running are.

South Africa: Have had a very strong year in rugby, most likley a SA player will get the award.
Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Bryan Habana (probebly not twice though)
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Australia: Little chance to be honest.
Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

New Zealand: Not a great year for NZ so very unlikley a player will be chosen, especially considering key players haven't really stepped up.
Mils Muliaina
Richie McCaw (Has actually performed pretty well, but hasn't been with a winning team)
Comrad Smith

Ireland: May have a chance of a player selected, but I wouldn't rate anyone's chances too highly
Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

Other then those players, I can't see anyone else realistically taking the award. Maybe some others but none that, in my opinion, will be up for the running.[/b]

That analysis is far too reasonable. It actually makes sense, which is something that these awards are at odds with.

In 2008 Richie McCaw got a few games in with the ANZC winning cantabs, then captained the Crusaders to the Super 14 ***le, then captained the allblacks to the Bledisloe and Trinations. He then captained NZ to a Grandslam in which none of the home nations could score a single try, every game was a thrashing (bar plucky munster).

So obviously the 2008 player of the year was Shane Williams. Richie McCaw didnt even get a nomination, Ryan Jones did though.
[/b][/quote]

Provincial and club competitions don't come into account with this award... internationals only...

Also, it's judged on form starting from LAST YEARS AI's through until the end of this years Tri Nations...

The reason why last years award was lacking in Southern Hemisphere representation was due to there being no EOYT because of the World Cup in 2007...

The upcoming tests won't come into account for this years award...

[/b][/quote]

Then why wasn't there such a lack of southern hemisphere players in the 2004 awards.. Either way i think its bullshit.

Mike Blair, Ryan Jones and Shane Williams in the top 5 players in the world? Just because there is no EOYT doesn't mean the Trinations ceases to be a recognised competition. Its the top 3 nations in the world
[/b][/quote]

The award celebrates individual performances. All 3 of those players you mentioned excelled last year.

McCaw simply didn't play enough rugby last year to get nominated despite being dominant when he returned.

Dan Carter was rightly nominated, but there weren't really many standout individual performances that deserved nomination.

In 2004 there were only 3 southern hemisphere players nominated - Burger, Jonker (2 from South Africa) and Giteau.

South Africa had a very strong year which resulted in them winning the Tri Nations for the first time in a while, and Burger was a standout that year.

I'd suggest you just simply get over it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 13 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love how people from other countries all ways back their player being "the best of the year".[/b]

In O'Driscolls case its pretty obvious, just the first 10 posters were focused on the SpringBok players. I cant see him NOT getting it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 13 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 13 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love how people from other countries all ways back their player being "the best of the year".[/b]

In O'Driscolls case its pretty obvious, just the first 10 posters were focused on the SpringBok players. I cant see him NOT getting it.
[/b][/quote]

I would give it to Du Preez.

He has been inspirational over the past 12 months.

Previous awards for those who care...

2001 Keith Wood (Ireland )
George Gregan ( Australia)
Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland )
George Smith ( Australia)
Jonny Wilkinson ( England)

2002 Fabien Galthié ( France)
Richie McCaw ( New Zealand)
Joe van Niekerk ( South Africa)
Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland )
Jason Robinson ( England)

2003 Jonny Wilkinson ( England)
Imanol Harinordoquy ( France)
Steve Thompson ( England)
Phil Waugh ( Australia)

2004 Schalk Burger ( South Africa)
Serge Betsen ( France)
Gordon D'Arcy (Ireland )
Matt Giteau ( Australia)
Marius Joubert ( South Africa)

2005 Daniel Carter ( New Zealand)
Bryan Habana ( South Africa)
Victor Matfield ( South Africa)
Tana Umaga ( New Zealand)

2006 Richie McCaw ( New Zealand)
Daniel Carter ( New Zealand)
Chris Latham ( Australia)
Paul O'Connell (Ireland )
Fourie du Preez ( South Africa)

2007 Bryan Habana ( South Africa)
Felipe Contepomi ( Argentina)
Juan M. Hernández ( Argentina)
Yannick Jauzion ( France)

2008 Shane Williams ( Wales)
Mike Blair ( Scotland)
Daniel Carter ( New Zealand)
Ryan Jones ( Wales)
Sergio Parisse ( Italy)

I reckon Morne Steyn could be the wild card for the award. He has broken a stack load of international records this year

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Oct 14 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 13 2009, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 13 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fourie du Preez makes a strong case. I would say the candidates that may be in the running are.

South Africa: Have had a very strong year in rugby, most likley a SA player will get the award.
Jaque Fourie
Fourie du Preez
Bryan Habana (probebly not twice though)
Victor Matfield
Morne Steyn
Heinrich Brusow

Australia: Little chance to be honest.
Rocky Elson
Matt Giteau

New Zealand: Not a great year for NZ so very unlikley a player will be chosen, especially considering key players haven't really stepped up.
Mils Muliaina
Richie McCaw (Has actually performed pretty well, but hasn't been with a winning team)
Comrad Smith

Ireland: May have a chance of a player selected, but I wouldn't rate anyone's chances too highly
Bryan O'Driscol
Paul O'Connel

Wales:
Shane Williams
Jamie Roberts

Other then those players, I can't see anyone else realistically taking the award. Maybe some others but none that, in my opinion, will be up for the running.[/b]

That analysis is far too reasonable. It actually makes sense, which is something that these awards are at odds with.

In 2008 Richie McCaw got a few games in with the ANZC winning cantabs, then captained the Crusaders to the Super 14 ***le, then captained the allblacks to the Bledisloe and Trinations. He then captained NZ to a Grandslam in which none of the home nations could score a single try, every game was a thrashing (bar plucky munster).

So obviously the 2008 player of the year was Shane Williams. Richie McCaw didnt even get a nomination, Ryan Jones did though.
[/b][/quote]

Provincial and club competitions don't come into account with this award... internationals only...

Also, it's judged on form starting from LAST YEARS AI's through until the end of this years Tri Nations...

The reason why last years award was lacking in Southern Hemisphere representation was due to there being no EOYT because of the World Cup in 2007...

The upcoming tests won't come into account for this years award...

[/b][/quote]

Then why wasn't there such a lack of southern hemisphere players in the 2004 awards.. Either way i think its bullshit.

Mike Blair, Ryan Jones and Shane Williams in the top 5 players in the world? Just because there is no EOYT doesn't mean the Trinations ceases to be a recognised competition. Its the top 3 nations in the world
[/b][/quote]

The award celebrates individual performances. All 3 of those players you mentioned excelled last year.

McCaw simply didn't play enough rugby last year to get nominated despite being dominant when he returned.

Dan Carter was rightly nominated, but there weren't really many standout individual performances that deserved nomination.

In 2004 there were only 3 southern hemisphere players nominated - Burger, Jonker (2 from South Africa) and Giteau.

South Africa had a very strong year which resulted in them winning the Tri Nations for the first time in a while, and Burger was a standout that year.

I'd suggest you just simply get over it.
[/b][/quote]

No need to be a dick.

And 3 out of 5 isnt exactly a lack of SH players..

Its just my opinion that the award is bit of a joke. None of those three players could crack the lions xv this year. How could 3 of the top 5 players in the world fall so far so quickly.

I'd go with O'Driscoll over Du Preez, just for the fact that he is Irish. And because he was a part of the best centre partnership in the world, for a while this year.

It would be a shame not to give it to O'Driscoll because of the historical nature of his accomplishments this season. The other players discussed (du Preez especially) are right up there with performance, but it is the significance of what O'Driscoll did this season that should catapult him to the top.

I had a feeling people were gonna get emotional and try merge this with a life time achievement award. O'Driscoll has been an awesome great player this year, but he was not the best and did not achieve the most.

Du Preez has been the standout player in a team that went undefeated in its EOYT last year... won the Lions series (not sure if that counts?)... went undefeated against the All Blacks... and won the Tri-Nations...

If the Super 14 counted then he would have that accomplishment as well... but alas...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 13 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 13 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Oct 13 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Oct 13 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that O'Driscoll has been a majour part of two historic ***le captures this year could edge it his favour.[/b]

Du Preez has won the Super14, A Lions Series, and the Tri-Nations. So it will be interesting...
[/b][/quote]

it's nothing to do with what they've won, it's the performances that they put in throughout the season, which were both outstanding, so it's a toss of a coin.
[/b][/quote]
I just think that the historic nature of both championship wins will come into play. It's tough to ignore it. SA have won the Tri Nations plenty of times etc. Wheras last year truly was an increadible year for Ireland, the likes that's never happened before and is unlikely to happen again anytime soon. O'Dricaoll was at the heart of the majority of that success (bar Munster winning the ML), and the judges will be aware of that. The success of the team has always factored in the winning decision imo.
[/b][/quote]

:huh: .We won it for only the third time this year... (edited)

Anyway here are my 5 nominations :

*Fourie du Preez
*Morne Steyn
*Paul O'Connell
*Brian O'Driscoll
*Jamie Roberts

O'Driscoll was captain of the team that went undefeated in the 6 nations (the premier international rugby tournament), while also picking up the HEC (the premier club rugby tournament) and with a little help from Jamie Roberts he pretty much ****** on that awesome south african team for the duration of the summer.

He's gonna win it lads. You can complain about it all you want but you KNOW hes going to win it. Just accept it, or better still agree that he should get it and we can all just get along. There is no point in nominating anyone else really. I'd agree with DuPreez as you have to name at least another one, but no point wasting time on others.

Now that I've won all the SH hearts and minds .......... I'll get my coat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 13 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
O'Driscoll was captain of the team that went undefeated in the 6 nations (the premier international rugby tournament), while also picking up the HEC (the premier club rugby tournament) and with a little help from Jamie Roberts he pretty much ****** on that awesome south african team for the duration of the summer.

He's gonna win it lads. You can complain about it all you want but you KNOW hes going to win it. Just accept it, or better still agree that he should get it and we can all just get along. There is no point in nominating anyone else really. I'd agree with DuPreez as you have to name at least another one, but no point wasting time on others.

Now that I've won all the SH hearts and minds .......... I'll get my coat.[/b]
You have balls of brass...that's why I like you. :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 13 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why dont you buff them while you're down there[/b]

Oi, you are coming with me ya foo! I need some sort of back-up. The Irish i can handle, and the English you can handle. It's the Welsh that scare me. Those ******** have ways and means nobody can counter.

Leaving the debate above for a moment, I feel O'Driscoll is the real forrunner, and who I'd give the award to, as the likes of Roberts, Du Preez, Styne and O'Connell have been good, but remember that O'Driscoll has only played in two losing games this year, and even in those two (The 2nd Lions test where they would have won if he hadn't been forced off, alongside Roberts and the props, and last week's defeat to London Irish, in which he almost dived over in the final minute.) he easily could have won.

Leigh Halfpenny would be my outside bet, as he's had an amazing breakthrough season this year, marking himself down as one of the top international wingers in his first year of professional Rugby. Doubt he'll actually win it, but wouldn't be too suprised to see him as a nomination. Gethin Jenkins deserves to be in the frame as well- He hasn't won anything, (Besides the EDF Energy Cup, but that doesn't really count as anything.) but has always made the so-called 'Better Team's time rougher. No wonder the South Africans targeted him.

Only one way to settle this by the way things are going. 28th of november I say.

Latest posts