• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 Player of the Year

Brian O'Driscoll - Being more than a captain in a Grand Slam winning side; winning the Heineken Cup; playing well on the Lions Tour; Good start to the 09-10 season.

Paul O'Connell - Grand Slam, Captain of Lions

John Smit - Captain of the world's best side & Tri-Nations & Lions winners.

Heinrich Brussow - for being the revalation of the Summer's internationals and getting one over on Williams, Wallace, McCaw and Smith.

Fourie du Preez - For all South Africa and the Bulls have achieved. Best 9 in the world without question.

All arguments in this thread for both O'Driscoll & Du Preez are all on point.

Very hard to separate the two, like someone mentioned earlier.....toss a coin!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 14 2009, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
O'Driscoll was captain of the team that went undefeated in the 6 nations (the premier international rugby tournament), while also picking up the HEC (the premier club rugby tournament) and with a little help from Jamie Roberts he pretty much ****** on that awesome south african team for the duration of the summer.

He's gonna win it lads. You can complain about it all you want but you KNOW hes going to win it. Just accept it, or better still agree that he should get it and we can all just get along. There is no point in nominating anyone else really. I'd agree with DuPreez as you have to name at least another one, but no point wasting time on others.

Now that I've won all the SH hearts and minds .......... I'll get my coat.[/b]

You jest, surely?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 13 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He's gonna win it lads. You can complain about it all you want but you KNOW hes going to win it. Just accept it, or better still agree that he should get it and we can all just get along. There is no point in nominating anyone else really. I'd agree with DuPreez as you have to name at least another one, but no point wasting time on others.[/b]
Other then the "lifetime achievement" aspect O'Driscoll's 2009 does not stand up to the accomplishments of South Africans who played on the Bulls and Springboks. Winning the Super 14 matches the Heineken Cup victory. Winning the Tri-Nations in the convincing style that they did matches Ireland's 6N victory. The deciding factor would be the Lions tour where the team from a single nation beat the combined efforts of four nations - you have to give that to South Africa. If SANZAR put together a team and were beaten by Ireland then I would say give it to Brian but the Springboks managed to be a supernational team and that gives them the edge.

Fourie Du Preez did 3 times in one year, what Ireland has failed to do in the last 100 years. Beat the All Blacks :lol: :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 14 2009, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fourie Du Preez did 3 times in one year, what Ireland has failed to do in the last 100 years. Beat the All Blacks :lol: :p[/b]

FACT ! *****es :p

I don't see why winning a grand slam for the first time in whatever amount of years has any bearing on player of the year, by that logic Du Preez should be miles ahead of Brian any way since we just beat the ABs 3 times in a row for the first time since the 40s.

Nobody kicks Du Preez's ass, end of, hell back in 2006 when we got the worst hiding of all time against the Ozzies, he was literally the only player who still had any dignity left after the match, put in a massive performance, stopped at least something like 21 points from being scored against us.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Oct 14 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 14 2009, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
O'Driscoll was captain of the team that went undefeated in the 6 nations (the premier international rugby tournament), while also picking up the HEC (the premier club rugby tournament) and with a little help from Jamie Roberts he pretty much ****** on that awesome south african team for the duration of the summer.

He's gonna win it lads. You can complain about it all you want but you KNOW hes going to win it. Just accept it, or better still agree that he should get it and we can all just get along. There is no point in nominating anyone else really. I'd agree with DuPreez as you have to name at least another one, but no point wasting time on others.

You jest, surely?
[/b][/quote]
Lol, I love how people from up North say the Six Nations is the pinacle of international rugby. Let's see, they have teams ranked -

Ireland - 4th
France - 5th
England - 7th
Wales - 8th
Scotland - 10th
Italy - 12th

I can see your logic at rating that competition above the competition in which the top three teams in the world compete in...I mean you can make a case for entertainment value, but not for which are the better teams. Hell, a combined effort of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland couldn't beat the Springboks in the Lions series.

This is a little off topic though...but to be frank, BOD dosn't really deserve the ***le this year. I mean he has had some success, and deserves to be in the running, but there are several more deserving players, and as much as I hate to admit it, du Preez should win it this year.

This should not be about the achievements of their seperate teams but about the performances of the players in the AI, 3 & 6 N and Lions tour (it can only be between FdP and BOD).
Even so I would argue that SA's achievements shades that of Ireland/Lions. A grandslam over a Lions series and beating NZ thrice in one year? ... to put it in perspective; SH teams go up and get clean sweeps year in and year out and NH teams rarely, even never in some cases beat NZ. We also put a stop to your combined effort and only faltered after making 10 changes to our line-up.

For this award a panel (not sure of the make-up) watches these internationals and votes for 3 guys that stood out in each (i.e the performance of an individual). Person with the most votes wins. I just wonder how the number of games played gets taken into account if at all. One would have to watch all the games Ireland, SA and the Lions played to get a fair reflection but I would guess it would be quite close as their value and stats in the Lions are dead even IMO and where FdP had a blinder every 3N I'm sure BOD had the same in the 6N. Guess the deciding factor is if you take the opposition played against into consideration..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Oct 14 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 14 2009, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fourie Du Preez did 3 times in one year, what Ireland has failed to do in the last 100 years. Beat the All Blacks :lol: :p[/b]

FACT ! *****es :p

I don't see why winning a grand slam for the first time in whatever amount of years has any bearing on player of the year, by that logic Du Preez should be miles ahead of Brian any way since we just beat the ABs 3 times in a row for the first time since the 40s.

Nobody kicks Du Preez's ass, end of, hell back in 2006 when we got the worst hiding of all time against the Ozzies, he was literally the only player who still had any dignity left after the match, put in a massive performance, stopped at least something like 21 points from being scored against us.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly! The teams performance shouldn't influence who gets the award. Du Preez is an amazing player and in my opinion has outshone BOD( :eek: ) this season.

Now now, one guy made a comment on how the 6 nations is the supposed premier rugby competition in the world, that's all that happened, can we please get back to how an individual should be rated as an individual and not as the accumulated success of his team ?

2009 Player of the Year- Ronan O'Gara

Well it doesnt say BEST player of 2009 does it.

I personally didn't think Du Preez had a great Lions tour, good yes, but not great. If anything, the best scrum half on that tour was Mike Phillips. Granted before and since then Du Preez has easily been the best scrum half in the world, and on some occasions the best player. Same can be said for O'Driscoll though, as there was a batter centre on tour aswell, although O'Driscoll was a big part that made Roberts the best player on tour.

It's going to be very close, that's for sure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 14 2009, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are you kidding me? He says this, clear as day, and half a dozen of you still bite.

The Tri-Nations has far superior teams and in that respect, it is a stronger tournament.

The 6 Nations, however, is more exciting. The national rivalries are that little bit more intense and the possibility of anything happening makes it so. Yes the rugby is of lower standards than the 3N so it depends whether you want top excitement or top quality.

Neither is the PREMIER COMPETITION IN TEH WORLD

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Oct 14 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
2009 Player of the Year- Ronan O'Gara

Well it doesnt say BEST player of 2009 does it.[/b]
If you are talking Pocket Pool then he gets my vote - probably also the vote of Her Majesty QE2!

Latest posts