• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2010 NZ Super14 squads...

J

Juggernaut

Blues: Tony Woodcock, John Afoa, Charlie Faumuina, Tevita Mailau, Keven Mealamu, Tom McCartney, Anthony Boric, Ali Williams, Kurtis Haiu, Jerome Kaino, Peter Saili, Serge Lilo (D), Tom Chamberlain, Chris Lowrey, Viliame Ma'afu, Alby Mathewson, Chris Smylie, Stephen Brett (D), Daniel Kirkpatrick (D), Luke McAlister, Benson Stanley, Isaia Toeava, George Pisi, Rudi Wulf, Anthony Tuitavake, Joe Rokocoko, Rene Ranger, Paul Williams.

Chiefs: Nathan White, Ben Afeaki, James McGougan, Sona Taumalolo, Aled de Malmanche, Hika Elliot, Kevin O'Neill, Craig Clarke, Culum Retallick, Romana Graham, Jarrad Hoeata (D), Liam Messam, Tanerau Latimer, Luke Braid, Sione Lauaki, Colin Bourke, Brendon Leonard, Junior Poluleuligaga, Stephen Donald, Mike Delany, Callum Bruce, Jackson Willison, Richard Kahui, Lelia Masaga, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Dwayne Sweeney, Tim Nanai-Williams, Mils Muliaina.

Hurricanes: John Schwalger, Jacob Ellison, Neemia Tialata, Anthony Perenise, Andrew Hore, Dane Coles, Jeremy Thrush, Bryn Evans, James Broadhurst (D), Jason Eaton, Michael Paterson, Victor Vito, Karl Lowe, Scott Waldrom, Rodney So'oialo, Nick Crosswell, Piri Weepu, Tyson Keats (D), Aaron Cruden, Willie Ripia, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Jason Kawau (D), Tamati Ellison, David Smith, Hosea Gear, Andre Taylor, Cory Jane.

Crusaders: Wyatt Crockett, Owen Franks, Ben Franks, Peter Borlase, Corey Flynn, Ti'i Paulo, Brad Thorn, Isaac Ross, Chris Jack, Sam Whitelock, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw, George Whitelock, Jonathan Poff, Thomas Waldrom, Andy Ellis, Kahn Fotuali'i, Daniel Carter, Daniel Bowden (D), Ryan Crotty, Tim Bateman, Robert Fruean, Adam Whitelock, Sean Maitland, Kade Poki, Zac Guildford, Colin Slade, Jared Payne.

Highlanders: Jamie Mackintosh, Clint Newland, Chris King, Bronson Murray (D), Jason Macdonald, Jason Rutledge, Josh Bekhuis, Tom Donnelly, Hayden Triggs, Joe Tuineau, Adam Thomson, Alando Soakai, John Hardie, Tim Boys, Nasi Manu, Stephen Setephano, Jimmy Cowan, Sean Romans, Matt Berquist (D), Michael Hobbs, Jayden Hayward, Jason Shoemark (D), Kendrick Lynn, James Paterson, Fetu'u Vainikolo, Ben Smith, Robbie Robinson, Israel Dagg

Lots of 5/8 movements.

Blues picked up Stephen Brett (Canterbury) & Daniel Kirkpatrick (Wellington) from the draft, while releasing Daniel Bowden (Auckland) to the Crusaders to be understudy to Carter.

With Kirkpatrick moving to the Blues, this allows the Hurricanes to select talented prospect Aaron Cruden (Manawatu).

Hawkes Bay marksman Mat Berquist was picked up by the Highlanders.

No Taniela Moa in the Blues and was not even picked up in the draft....big fall for the big guy. Smylie ahead of him was an interesting one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 11 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Blues: Tony Woodcock, John Afoa, Charlie Faumuina, Tevita Mailau, Keven Mealamu, Tom McCartney, Anthony Boric, Ali Williams, Kurtis Haiu, Jerome Kaino, Peter Saili, Serge Lilo (D), Tom Chamberlain, Chris Lowrey, Viliame Ma'afu, Alby Mathewson, Chris Smylie, Stephen Brett (D), Daniel Kirkpatrick (D), Luke McAlister, Benson Stanley, Isaia Toeava, George Pisi, Rudi Wulf, Anthony Tuitavake, Joe Rokocoko, Rene Ranger, Paul Williams.

Chiefs: Nathan White, Ben Afeaki, James McGougan, Sona Taumalolo, Aled de Malmanche, Hika Elliot, Kevin O'Neill, Craig Clarke, Culum Retallick, Romana Graham, Jarrad Hoeata (D), Liam Messam, Tanerau Latimer, Luke Braid, Sione Lauaki, Colin Bourke, Brendon Leonard, Junior Poluleuligaga, Stephen Donald, Mike Delany, Callum Bruce, Jackson Willison, Richard Kahui, Lelia Masaga, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Dwayne Sweeney, Tim Nanai-Williams, Mils Muliaina.

Hurricanes: John Schwalger, Jacob Ellison, Neemia Tialata, Anthony Perenise, Andrew Hore, Dane Coles, Jeremy Thrush, Bryn Evans, James Broadhurst (D), Jason Eaton, Michael Paterson, Victor Vito, Karl Lowe, Scott Waldrom, Rodney So'oialo, Nick Crosswell, Piri Weepu, Tyson Keats (D), Aaron Cruden, Willie Ripia, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Jason Kawau (D), Tamati Ellison, David Smith, Hosea Gear, Andre Taylor, Cory Jane.

Crusaders: Wyatt Crockett, Owen Franks, Ben Franks, Peter Borlase, Corey Flynn, Ti'i Paulo, Brad Thorn, Isaac Ross, Chris Jack, Sam Whitelock, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw, George Whitelock, Jonathan Poff, Thomas Waldrom, Andy Ellis, Kahn Fotuali'i, Daniel Carter, Daniel Bowden (D), Ryan Crotty, Tim Bateman, Robert Fruean, Adam Whitelock, Sean Maitland, Kade Poki, Zac Guildford, Colin Slade, Jared Payne.

Highlanders: Jamie Mackintosh, Clint Newland, Chris King, Bronson Murray (D), Jason Macdonald, Jason Rutledge, Josh Bekhuis, Tom Donnelly, Hayden Triggs, Joe Tuineau, Adam Thomson, Alando Soakai, John Hardie, Tim Boys, Nasi Manu, Stephen Setephano, Jimmy Cowan, Sean Romans, Matt Berquist (D), Michael Hobbs, Jayden Hayward, Jason Shoemark (D), Kendrick Lynn, James Paterson, Fetu'u Vainikolo, Ben Smith, Robbie Robinson, Israel Dagg[/b]

No real surprises in any of these squads. There a few notable omissions: Taniela Moa, Grayson Hart, George Nauopo, Johnny Leota, James King, Ross Kennedy all come to mind as players unlucky to miss out. Also Quintin MacDonald (Tasman hooker) was one I was hoping would be picked up somewhere, but he is still young.

Interesting that Auckland have only picked three locks, and two of them are equally adept as blindside flankers (Haiu, Boric) - surely they should have picked another lock (James King comes to mind) instead of the abundance of Outside backs they have chosen (George Pisi is the one I would not have selected). I suppose Chris Lowrey must be the '4th lock' in the squad.

I'm happy with the Highlanders squad - Vainikolo must be on his last chance as he is a defensive liability whose attacking game seems to have disappeared over the last year. Would have liked to see George Nauopo back (instead of maybe Hardie), and another mid-field player (Leota/Kawau) in the mix but I think the squad is basically as strong as it can be.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juggernaut @ Nov 11 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lots of 5/8 movements.

Blues picked up Stephen Brett (Canterbury) & Daniel Kirkpatrick (Wellington) from the draft, while releasing Daniel Bowden (Auckland) to the Crusaders to be understudy to Carter.

With Kirkpatrick moving to the Blues, this allows the Hurricanes to select talented prospect Aaron Cruden (Manawatu).

Hawkes Bay marksman Mat Berquist was picked up by the Highlanders.

No Taniela Moa in the Blues and was not even picked up in the draft....big fall for the big guy. Smylie ahead of him was an interesting one.[/b]

Not surprised at Moa's demotion - he struggled for both the Blues and Auckland this year. When he played well he was outstanding, however we only saw that for a few games the entire year, the rest of the times he was pretty poor. I would have thought Grayson Hart (the other Auckland halfback) may have got close to being selected though - he's probably got the best pass of any halfback in the country but needs to develop the rest of his game. He's only 21 though so he will have plenty of time to develop.

I would have picked Moa at least to back up Mathewson.

Really excited about Cruden's move to the Hurricanes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 11 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm happy we picked up Aaron Cruden and got rid of Dan Kirkpatrick but I thought Fa'atonu Fili might of picked up a contract

Has anyone seen the new jerseys they look like crap:
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/photos/zoom/-/6457468[/b]

Over the last few years the NZRFU have generally not picked players in-eligible for NZ (though this year there are two: Poluleuligaga, and Ma'afu). As such I don't think Fili would have been given too much consideration. He is clearly ranked behind Cruden in the canes region - I imagine he would be considered on par with the other first-fives from the region (Berquist, Ripia, Kirkpatrick), but because he is in-eligible for NZ he didn't get selected.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 11 2009, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Interesting that Auckland have only picked three locks, and two of them are equally adept as blindside flankers (Haiu, Boric) - surely they should have picked another lock (James King comes to mind) instead of the abundance of Outside backs they have chosen (George Pisi is the one I would not have selected). I suppose Chris Lowrey must be the '4th lock' in the squad.[/b]
I agree with you on the George Pisi selection.

Very unlucky for Van Der Heiden to have missed out as he had a terrific year.

What ever happend to Caleb Ralph?Has he retired, is he injured or playing overseas?

You are a liar if you say you arent suprised that Moa wasn't picked haha. Its easy to sit back and say "ohh yeah i knew that would happen" after the fact, noone would have picked it last week. He was an All Blacks squad member last year!

Grayson Hart is crap. You cant afford to make poor decisions when you're that one dimentional, hes had some fair shockers in his short career. Brett Goodin and Aaron Smith have more of a claim. Goodin is very sharp, an established leader, great running game, great passing game his only real weakness ive heard is that hes a lazy trainer. Aaron Smith was faultless for Manawatu, haven't seen him have a bad game yet.

My "Unlucky XV"
1)Hikairo Forbes
2)David Hall
3)Joe Savage/Ben May
4)Toby Lynn
5)George Naoupu
6)Brent Thompson
7)Jack Lam
8)Mark Bright
9)Taniela Moa
10)Fa'atonu Fili
11)Ryan Shortland
12)Johnny Leota
13)Paul Perez
14)Sherwin Stowers
15)Charlie Ngatai/Corey Aporo

16)Ash Dixon
17)Keith Cameron
18)Ross Kennedy
19)Chris Smith
20)Aaron Good
21)Jack Cameron
22)Pehi Te Whare

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 11 2009, 03:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm happy we picked up Aaron Cruden and got rid of Dan Kirkpatrick but I thought Fa'atonu Fili might of picked up a contract

Has anyone seen the new jerseys they look like crap:
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/photos/zoom/-/6457468[/b]

Quiet dissapointing tbh, very sec design, barelly any changes with the 07-08 shirt ; And BNZ, ok I do have an account with those guys but at least they could invest in bringing out decent/cool jerseys.

Squads looking, really curious about the upcoming season.

Why do all New Zealand teams always have the same sponsor? Blues should go back to their old royal blue, the new one is crap.

Crusaders 22
1 Wyatt Crockett
2 Corey Flynn
3 Ben Franks
4 Chris Jack/Isaac Ross
5 Brad Thorn
6 Kieran Read
7 Richie McCaw
8 Thomas Waldrom

9 Andy Ellis

10 Dan Carter
11 Zac Guildford
12 Tim Bateman
13 Kade Poki
14 Sean Maitland
15 Colin Slade

16 Ti'i Paulo
17 Owen Franks/Peter Borlase
18 Isaac Ross/Chris Jack
19 George Whitelock
20 Kahn Fotuali'i
21 Ryan Crotty
22 Jared Payne

Hurricanes

15 Tamati Ellison
14 Corey Jane
13 Conrad Smith
12 Ma'a Nonu
11 Hosea Gear
10 Aaron Cruden
9 Piri Weepu

8 Rodney So'oialo
7 Scott Waldrom
6 Victor Vito
5 Jeremy Thrush
4 Jason Eaton
3 Neemia Tialata
2 Andrew Hore
1 John Schwalger

That is a pretty good team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MLegg @ Nov 12 2009, 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Crusaders 22
1 Wyatt Crockett
2 Corey Flynn
3 Ben Franks
4 Chris Jack/Isaac Ross
5 Brad Thorn
6 Kieran Read
7 Richie McCaw
8 Thomas Waldrom

9 Andy Ellis

10 Dan Carter
11 Zac Guildford
12 Tim Bateman
13 Kade Poki
14 Sean Maitland
15 Colin Slade

16 Ti'i Paulo
17 Owen Franks/Peter Borlase
18 Isaac Ross/Chris Jack
19 George Whitelock
20 Kahn Fotuali'i
21 Ryan Crotty
22 Jared Payne[/b]
= ***le number 8!

I think Owen Franks is bound to be starting ahead of his brother - as Owen has had an outstanding season, while Ben has been injured almost the whole year. The loose-forwards mix is interesting - the trio you have picked is the obvious one, however I'd be surprised if the trio of Read, Whitelock, McCaw (at 8) wasn't used quite a bit this year. In the backs the only position that is yet to be decided is centre, with numerous possibilities: Adam Whitelock, Fruean, Poki, Crotty (at 12 with Bateman at 13). I think Fruean is one that could really flourish in the Crusaders environment - I'd expect him to be starting at centre by the end of the season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 11 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You are a liar if you say you arent suprised that Moa wasn't picked haha. Its easy to sit back and say "ohh yeah i knew that would happen" after the fact, noone would have picked it last week. He was an All Blacks squad member last year!

Grayson Hart is crap. You cant afford to make poor decisions when you're that one dimentional, hes had some fair shockers in his short career. Brett Goodin and Aaron Smith have more of a claim. Goodin is very sharp, an established leader, great running game, great passing game his only real weakness ive heard is that hes a lazy trainer. Aaron Smith was faultless for Manawatu, haven't seen him have a bad game yet.[/b]

I'm certainly not a lying when I say I'm surprised that Moa wasn't picked - perhaps I just have a bit more insight into the game than you do :p He has been horribly inconsistent this year - he even got dropped from the Auckland 22 on more than one occasion this year! Out of curiosity who do you think Moa should have been picked ahead of?

It was obvious to anyone who follows rugby that Moa wasn't going to be selected for the Blues given they had gone out and got Mathewson as there number one halfback, leaving the remaining halfbacks in the region to fight out the remaining spot. Smylie had obviously overtaken Moa by the end of last years Super 14 (he was starting with Moa/Hart on the bench), and was even rewarded with a spot in the Junior AB's (along with Mathewson) - clearly he was rated by both the Blues and AB coaches as a better halfback than Moa.

Moa's only chance of a spot was through the draft - the Highlanders, Chiefs, and Crusaders all have two quality halfbacks who they were always going to pick, the only place that Moa had a chance to play was at the Canes. So basically he was competing with players from the Canes regions (Goodin, Smith) and all the other halfbacks in the draft (Keats, Scott Cowan, Grayson Hart) for one spot (backing up Weepu). The Hurricanes chose Keats, who was arguably the form half-back of the entire Air New Zealand Cup - no surprise at all. So I don't think Moa should have been picked on form, while the several serious off-field incidents he has been involved in this year wouldn't have helped his cause!

So yes a big fall from grace for Moa given that he was in the All Blacks squad last (though only after a huge number of injuries - he was at best ranked 6th best halfback in the country!). He still is young (24) so still has plenty of time to develop the consistency he needs in his game.

Your "Unlucky XV" looks pretty good - I will note that several of the players (David Hall, Ben May) were unavailable through injury.

I thought Jonny Leota was unfortunate to not tget a contract with the highlanders and another one I thought would definately get a contract was Karne Hesketh dudes a beast when he plays and always goes hard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 12 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought Jonny Leota was unfortunate to not tget a contract with the highlanders and another one I thought would definately get a contract was Karne Hesketh dudes a beast when he plays and always goes hard.[/b]
Agree on Leota, especially considering we (the Highlanders) are short on mid-field backs. Karne Heskath is an interesting one - he is exceptionally hard to stop with the ball in hand, however he really lacks the pace to be a top winger, and his defense is atrocious - I think it was a toss up between him and Vainakolo as to who got the last wingers birth. Personally I'd almost have been tempted to pick Ryan Shortland over either of them, as he was probably the form winger for Otago this year (and he could also cover for our lack of mid-field backs).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 12 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 11 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grayson Hart is crap. You cant afford to make poor decisions when you're that one dimentional, hes had some fair shockers in his short career. Brett Goodin and Aaron Smith have more of a claim. Goodin is very sharp, an established leader, great running game, great passing game his only real weakness ive heard is that hes a lazy trainer. Aaron Smith was faultless for Manawatu, haven't seen him have a bad game yet.[/b]

I'm certainly not a lying when I say I'm surprised that Moa wasn't picked - perhaps I just have a bit more insight into the game than you do :p He has been horribly inconsistent this year - he even got dropped from the Auckland 22 on more than one occasion this year! Out of curiosity who do you think Moa should have been picked ahead of?

It was obvious to anyone who follows rugby that Moa wasn't going to be selected for the Blues given they had gone out and got Mathewson as there number one halfback, leaving the remaining halfbacks in the region to fight out the remaining spot. Smylie had obviously overtaken Moa by the end of last years Super 14 (he was starting with Moa/Hart on the bench), and was even rewarded with a spot in the Junior AB's (along with Mathewson) - clearly he was rated by both the Blues and AB coaches as a better halfback than Moa.

Moa's only chance of a spot was through the draft - the Highlanders, Chiefs, and Crusaders all have two quality halfbacks who they were always going to pick, the only place that Moa had a chance to play was at the Canes. So basically he was competing with players from the Canes regions (Goodin, Smith) and all the other halfbacks in the draft (Keats, Scott Cowan, Grayson Hart) for one spot (backing up Weepu). The Hurricanes chose Keats, who was arguably the form half-back of the entire Air New Zealand Cup - no surprise at all. So I don't think Moa should have been picked on form, while the several serious off-field incidents he has been involved in this year wouldn't have helped his cause!

So yes a big fall from grace for Moa given that he was in the All Blacks squad last (though only after a huge number of injuries - he was at best ranked 6th best halfback in the country!). He still is young (24) so still has plenty of time to develop the consistency he needs in his game.

Your "Unlucky XV" looks pretty good - I will note that several of the players (David Hall, Ben May) were unavailable through injury.

[/b][/quote]

I dont know mate, im not saying he wasnt playing badly, he definitely was. But no matter how bad his form was its still a suprise to see a guy like that miss out on a contract.

Sione Lauaki has played some of the worst games of rugby ive ever seen, Jacob Ellison got schooled everytime he set foot on the pitch, and Paul Williams was shown up badly on many occasions. They all made the cut.

I would have definatly picked him ahead of Tyson Keats, sure, he looks good around the clinical war machine that is canterbury, but im not too sure how he will fare in the hurricanes environment. Not to mention hes 28, thats 150 in halfback years. I rate Junior Polu as a great footballer, but hes ineligible for NZ so it would be up in the air for me between the two. I also think Sean Romans and Andy Ellis are hugely overrated but can see why they would be picked up instead.

Moa has so much raw talent that its criminal noones doing anything about it. He has a great pass, is very strong and has shown that when he runs with it he makes things happen, he just needs to get his head straight. Now hes probably going to go overseas and NZ rugby is instead stuck training up Tyson Keats for his 2 remaining years of rugby.

And yeah i wasnt sure about the length of their injuries. It just makes it worse that Hikairo Forbes wasn't chosen. He looked to me to be the best non all black in Waikato week in week out.

Latest posts