• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2011 Canadian Rugby Championship

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The next season of the CRC was announced the other day and the schedule has been expanded(thank god). Each team is now playing five matches although some will be exhibitions.

The format for the games that count will be each team playing each other at least once and playing their geographic rival and one other on the opposite end of the country twice. There will be no Championship game just whoever gets the most points at the end of the season wins.

I'm not sure why they couldn't just have everybody play each other home and away but perhaps being a World Cup year this was difficult or maybe it's just good old Rugby Canada sketchiness and budget issues.

Here are the Regions

The Rock - Newfoundland(Where they play), Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and Quebec
Ontario Blues - Ontario
Prairie Wolf Pack - Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta
BC Bears - British Columbia

Schedule

Sat. July 30th
The Rock @ British Columbia (Venue TBC)
Ontario Blues @ Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary Rugby Park)

Tue. August 2nd
The Rock @ Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary Rugby Park)
Ontario Blues @ British Columbia (Venue TBC)

Sat August 13th
Prairie Wolf Pack @ British Columbia (Venue TBC)

Sat August 20th
Ontario Blues @ The Rock (Swilers RFC)
British Columbia @ Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary Rugby Park)

Sat August 27th
British Columbia @ The Rock (Swilers RFC)
Prairie Wolf Pack @ Ontario Blues (Venue TBC)

Saturday September 3rd
The Rock @ Ontario Blues (Venue TBC)

Last edited:
Isnt there also this team called "Velox" they came down here and I am almost sure they were an active team in Canada?

Isnt there also this team called "Velox" they came down here and I am almost sure they were an active team in Canada?

Yes there is Rigo they are from Victoria but they do not play in the CRC which is the regional and highest level of Canadian domestic rugby. The Velox Valhallians play in the British Columbia Premier League which has some really good players and quality teams. Many of their players have played for the BC Bears which are British Columbia's team in the CRC.

There are probably some Canadians from out West on TRF who know much more about them than I do since I'm from Ontario and can keep up with the local scene here much easier.

So each team is a region? There is four regions, with their own domestic leagues, which they pick their player base from? Like the NPC? Sounds like a decent format. Is the league pro or semi pro? What's the crowds like?

Perhaps a North American league would suit both Canada and the U.S.? Like the magners league? I'm sure it's been tried what went wrong?

Sorry for all the questions but I love learning about other rugby nations.

So each team is a region? There is four regions, with their own domestic leagues, which they pick their player base from? Like the NPC? Sounds like a decent format. Is the league pro or semi pro? What's the crowds like?

Perhaps a North American league would suit both Canada and the U.S.? Like the magners league? I'm sure it's been tried what went wrong?

Sorry for all the questions but I love learning about other rugby nations.

I should have listed the regions in my first post they are as follows

The Rock - Newfoundland(Where they play), Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and Quebec
Ontario Blues - Ontario
Prairie Wolf Pack - Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta
BC Bears - British Columbia

I'm guessing in the unlikely event that a person from the territories NWT, Yukon or Nunavut was able to qualify they would probably play in whatever region is south of them.

The league is semi-pro and frequently players who play in lower divisions in Europe come back to play in the summer here. As well the top players are selected to play in the America's Rugby Championship. They did try a league with the States involved but the American team dropped out and it became the CRC. I think there is a chance for growth especially with an NFL lockout looming, and many unversities in Canada are dropping expensive Gridiron programs.

Crowds aren't too large but The Rock draw the best with 2,500-3,000 a game. Most of the other teams draw 1,000-2,000 fans per game.

Last edited:
"Crowds aren't too large but The Rock draw the best with 2,500-3,000 a game. Most of the other teams draw 1,000-2,000 fans per game."

That is a good number for a region game. Connacht only get between 1,000-5,000 (Anything above 1,500 is on good day) The same goes for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Newport Gwent Dragons.

Sounds like the future is bright in Canada. Just need to get back on the international tour to really help development. With the players coming back from Europe it must be a good learning environment and decent standard. What happened to the American team then? Money?

Go the Prairie Wolf pack! ... hopefully they can go one better than their runner up placing last year :D

... I'm hoping that I can catch one of these games this year

Crowds aren't too large but The Rock draw the best with 2,500-3,000 a game. Most of the other teams draw 1,000-2,000 fans per game."

That is a good number for a region game. Connacht only get between 1,000-5,000 (Anything above 1,500 is on good day) The same goes for Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Newport Gwent Dragons.

Sounds like the future is bright in Canada. Just need to get back on the international tour to really help development. With the players coming back from Europe it must be a good learning environment and decent standard. What happened to the American team then? Money?

I think the amount of travel is what hurts the profability of North American rugby teams, all these squads have to fly out to play one another and in the case of BC vs. The Rock it is across an entire continent.

The crowds are ok now that I think about it compared to some of the smaller clubs in Europe, I guess the RFU chamiponship would be at that level as well but with many more games per team a season. I guess I was comparing them to how well the CFL and NHL draw in Canada. The CFL is the 7th to 8th highest average attendance for worldwide sports at just under 30,000 a game and the NHL always draws virtual sellouts at Canadian rinks.

I think the CRC really helps Canadian domestic rugby because so many of our players have to compete for limited foreign player spots overseas, with Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans amongst others also vying for those 2-3 spots in a lineup on game day.

Internationally the IRB is trying to get a more comprehensive schedule for tier two and higher level tier three countries, we played Georgia, Portugal, Spain and Belgium in the fall, with the latter two being not very challenging opponents.

Go the Prairie Wolf pack! ... hopefully they can go one better than their runner up placing last year

... I'm hoping that I can catch one of these games this year

Once the rosters are released I'll be able to better add insight, but I think we will see a very competitive season Shaggy, especially with the expanded format. I think the BC Bears will be looking to improve on their winless season, The Rock looked good last year and the Wolf Pack (I had that listed as Fire but thats the old name thanks for catching that Shaggy) were a surprise, Ontario is always a solid squad as well. Hopefully I can make it to a game in Oakville where Ontario plays it isn't too far down the road from me and is actually where I was born, although I'm busy during that time of year with work(harvest time) I still might be able to pop down there for a game.

Last edited:
I can understand what your saying about the travel issue. Makes away fans non-existed. I looked up a map of Canada and it's at least three times as big as Ireland!!

I couldn't agree more with your original post. Your suggested format of a round robin format seems the best format, but like you said there must be some sort of restriction holding back the league, let be money, travel or it just being a world cup year.
I personally think though that in the future some U.S. regions have to be added. Development is all about cross boarder competition; Heinekin Cup, Magners League, Super 15.

I would love to see Canada start to push for tier one status. This league going pro with a few kiwis would be the perfect breeding ground for Canadian players.

You mentioned earlier about Gridiron?? Will this aid Canadian rugby much??

Sounds like Canada are going in the right direction. Even more so now that the IRB are starting to sort integration between the tiers. A few years I could see,

Domestic Club-Canadian Rugby Championship, hopefully fully pro with the inclusion of some U.S. teams
Domestic International-Americas Rugby Championship, perhaps Tonga replaced with Uruguay (Makes Sense)
Proper International Tours-Churchill cup, World cup and proper autumn tour against tier one nations

Sounds like the future is bright

I can understand what your saying about the travel issue. Makes away fans non-existed. I looked up a map of Canada and it's at least three times as big as Ireland!!

I couldn't agree more with your original post. Your suggested format of a round robin format seems the best format, but like you said there must be some sort of restriction holding back the league, let be money, travel or it just being a world cup year.
I personally think though that in the future some U.S. regions have to be added. Development is all about cross boarder competition; Heinekin Cup, Magners League, Super 15.

I would love to see Canada start to push for tier one status. This league going pro with a few kiwis would be the perfect breeding ground for Canadian players.

You mentioned earlier about Gridiron?? Will this aid Canadian rugby much??

Sounds like Canada are going in the right direction. Even more so now that the IRB are starting to sort integration between the tiers. A few years I could see,

Domestic Club-Canadian Rugby Championship, hopefully fully pro with the inclusion of some U.S. teams
Domestic International-Americas Rugby Championship, perhaps Tonga replaced with Uruguay (Makes Sense)
Proper International Tours-Churchill cup, World cup and proper autumn tour against tier one nations

Sounds like the future is bright

Your idea for the America's Rugby Championship is bang on, the organizers are looking to do that exact thing with bringing in Uruguayan and even Chilean teams. Tonga "A" was just a last minute fill in that happened to fit in with last years schedule.

I don't mind Canada having to play a couple tier two countries as I'm sure not every tier one country is anxious to play and probably handidly beat us (especially if we send weaker sides like we did in November, 2008), but that being said last falls tour should have included at least one tier one opponent. Italy and Scotland replacing Belgium on that tour would have made it a much more challenging and rewarding expereince.

The IRB is responsible for a lot of Rugby Canada's budget though and that gives them a bigger say in who we get to play than a well funded side would have but to give credit to the IRB it is actually reponsible for some of the more positive developments in recent years. There are always a lot of issues in the Canadian rugby hierarchy with poor managment and bitter and often petty politics behind the scenes, if we can ever move past this it would be a massive boon also.

I'd love to see some American sides added to a cross border league, there are some quality players and athletes at a college level in the States that lose that outlet to play higher level rugby after they graduate. Again the problems are similar for the Eagles, competing for limited overseas spots, an underfunded 15's team and a lack of a mid-high level domestic competition. The U.S. does have a (usually) stronger 7's program than Canada at the moment which is one direction some of their players at the back's positions can take their careers.

An NFL lockout could give a perfect outlet for networks to show World Cup games (even if time delayed), although that might be a moot point if there is a labour agreement. The NBA is almost guarenteed to be locked out, but I don't think the basketball fan base is naturally inclined to follow rugby like a gridiron crowd would. Here in Canada there are some gridiron fans particularly in Southern Ontario who refuse to follow the CFL as they think its an inferior product or don't like the vastly different rules(I'm not one of them) an NFL lockout might leave them with something to watch on Sundays, but not sure whether they would follow a lower tier North American league or "adopt" overseas clubs to follow exclusively. which happens with association football in many cases here in Canada.

Last edited:
Yeah the IRB have done some good work for tier two nations, but I feel that they don't do all they can. Teams like Canada, U.S.A and the Pacific Island teams are nations that the IRB should be really pushing. Don't get me wrong nations like Romania, Georgia, Namibia are all top tier two nations but I really feel that the Islanders and North American teams are the real future for a wider more competitive international game. I remember when Canada pushed Wales the whole way a few years back and I would love to see that again, a nice break from seeing the top 8-10 nations playing each other all the time.

Maybe I didn't explain myself fully concerning a international tour. Completely agree that there should be at least one tier one nation in a international tour. For example 1)Georgia 2)Ireland and finish the tour against a another nation on the way up. Like I said development is all about integration between the tiers.

From what I remember from stats, Canada have a reasonable player base? which will only increase in the future. Done a little research on the NFL lockout aswell. If it goes ahead there is a chance for rugby to have a real boost. I'm sure NHL will receive the biggest increase but there is still an opportunity for rugby in Canada to get to a new audience.

You'r saying about U.S. and Canadian players finding it hard to compete for limited overseas spots and finding a competitive level after collage. To me, you and the rest of the world the perfect answer is the CRC but for some reason the IRB and the Canadian Rugby Union just don't seem to act. It is so frustrating, even more so for yourself, that obvious things are just not put in place to improve the standard of rugby. There must be some series obstacles blocking the development in Canada. But I should also give credit where it is due. The CRC does sound great but it really does need a round robin system to up competition length and competitiveness.

Do you know any future plans that the Canadian union has planned? Most importantly though is where could I check out one of these games? Are they televised? That wolfpack team does look pretty cool.

Yeah the IRB have done some good work for tier two nations, but I feel that they don't do all they can. Teams like Canada, U.S.A and the Pacific Island teams are nations that the IRB should be really pushing. Don't get me wrong nations like Romania, Georgia, Namibia are all top tier two nations but I really feel that the Islanders and North American teams are the real future for a wider more competitive international game. I remember when Canada pushed Wales the whole way a few years back and I would love to see that again, a nice break from seeing the top 8-10 nations playing each other all the time.

Maybe I didn't explain myself fully concerning a international tour. Completely agree that there should be at least one tier one nation in a international tour. For example 1)Georgia 2)Ireland and finish the tour against a another nation on the way up. Like I said development is all about integration between the tiers.

From what I remember from stats, Canada have a reasonable player base? which will only increase in the future. Done a little research on the NFL lockout aswell. If it goes ahead there is a chance for rugby to have a real boost. I'm sure NHL will receive the biggest increase but there is still an opportunity for rugby in Canada to get to a new audience.

You'r saying about U.S. and Canadian players finding it hard to compete for limited overseas spots and finding a competitive level after collage. To me, you and the rest of the world the perfect answer is the CRC but for some reason the IRB and the Canadian Rugby Union just don't seem to act. It is so frustrating, even more so for yourself, that obvious things are just not put in place to improve the standard of rugby. There must be some series obstacles blocking the development in Canada. But I should also give credit where it is due. The CRC does sound great but it really does need a round robin system to up competition length and competitiveness.

Do you know any future plans that the Canadian union has planned? Most importantly though is where could I check out one of these games? Are they televised? That wolfpack team does look pretty cool.

i'm by no means an expert on Canadian Rugby, having not been here for too long, but in terms of popularity with the sporting public, it's way down the list, behind Ice Hockey, NHL, Canadian Football, Baseball, and probably Soccer. when you combine this with the vast distances that players need to travel, and that the seasons run at different times depending on the province that you are playing in (in BC it's a winter sport, in the rest its a summer sport), and the lack of understanding of the rules by the general public, it's not an easy problem to address..

I see the popularity of the 15 aside game perhaps increasing on the back of the 7 aside game, with the Americans pushing 7's as it's an Olympic sport in 2016, and with the Canadian Women's 7's side being strong ... stronger sides will hopefully attract stronger opposition, but sides generally only get stronger by playing against stronger opposition ... hopefully the IRB can give all of the tier two nations a hand by scheduling regular games against tier one nations

@ Jayatron frequently the CRC games are streamed live via the internet, I will let you know when I hear details and will make sure to post them on here for all those interested. Also one or two games may be carried on the CBC, Canada's national television station which last year carried the final.

@ Shaggy you bring up a great point which I didn't touch on with the different seasons, British Columbia being able to play games in the late fall and late winter. Even in Southern Ontario playing rugby in March can be questionable hence the freak weather we've had out here this week. In a place like the Prairies its impossible to play from December-Late March. Often rivalry between provincial unions and boards exacerbates the problems facing the Canadian game.

At the High School level the game is played in some places mine had a team but this wasn't the case in some other nearby schools, although the cost effective nature of rugby when compared to running a gridiron team makes it an attractive option. At a university level most schools are runnning both a men's and women's team the popularity of the women's game is growing ver fast and this could cross over to some more popularity for the men's game as well.

I think the sport can grow here, maybe it won't rival the big four of Hockey, Gridiron, Baseball, Basketball and even Soccer(very popular at a playing level in Canada not so much as a spectator sport) but I think if properly run could become a well attended niche sport much like indoor lacrosse, the NLL regularly gets 8-10,000 fans at their games, also with a relatively small playing base and sporadic media coverage.

TV networks might be reluctant to put more rugby on their networks due to the lack of advertising oppourtunities, in Gridiron especailly the NFL ads can be run during the game with ease, in rugby half-time, brief water breaks and injury time outs only allow brief cutouts for commercials.

I agree with Shaggy's point about 7's being a real area of growth especially in the States and in Canada, for some reason Canadians often think a sport isn't "legit" because it is not an Olympic sport, which probably comes from the fact that Ice Hockey has dropped the ball(or puck LOL) on their World Cup and run it through the Olympics. When in virtually every other team sport World Cup's are the premier event.

It does appear that Canadian rugby have a lot problems to contend with. Between different seasons, inner politics and a limited, but apparently good, championship. From what I hear from yourself's and the internet there seems to be real potential to expand, even more so with the lockout, in Canada.

Have to agree that expansion will be really helped by the 7's circuit. Even though I think the CRC pulling in crowds of 2-5 thousand is really healthy. Like I said that's the crowds of the lower premier and magners teams, with lower championship sides only dreaming of those crowds. I watched Leinster V Dragons today in Newport and they only had a crowd of 4 thousand. To pull in crowds like the lacrosse would be very reputable, even more so in a country dominated by hockey and NFL.

I look forward to watching the CRC live, and if I ever go to Canada will be sure to check it out. Please make sure, if you can, notify TRF when games will be on and where to catch them.

Pre season warm up games have begun for many teams, this Saturday at 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, the Ontario Blues will take on Argentine side Salta Province in Oakville, Ontario. The game will be streamed live on the internet, and I will try to provide a link, rugbycanada.ca will almost certainly provide a link as well just in case I can make it down to Oakville and watch it in person.

Last week The Rock beat a Canada Selects team 19-13.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats important to know is how our Ed is getting on.

"The Great One" plays on the BC Bears in the CRC when time permits, he also plays in the British Columbian CDI Premier League for UBC Old Boys Ravens. Which this year was won by the Castaway Wanderers. Surely he must have been missing for that game or merely was feeling magnanimous and wanted others to taste the joys of victory.

"The Great One" plays on the BC Bears in the CRC when time permits, he also plays in the British Columbian CDI Premier League for UBC Old Boys Ravens. Which this year was won by the Castaway Wanderers. Surely he must have been missing for that game or merely was feeling magnanimous and wanted others to taste the joys of victory.

:lol: ... The BC Bears didn't seem to "taste the joys of victory" last season ... I think they managed 4th out of 4 in his absence, if I recall correctly :D

Wouldn't mind seeing some of these games, so i'll see if I can find a stream

:lol: ... The BC Bears didn't seem to "taste the joys of victory" last season ... I think they managed 4th out of 4 in his absence, if I recall correctly :D

Wouldn't mind seeing some of these games, so i'll see if I can find a stream

Yeah they had a shocking season last year BC, and I don't think Ed got a game in, I know he did play for them in 2009, not sure if he will play this year with all the World Cup preparation. The Rock looked good in their pre season game, last years defending champs.

I found a link for the Ontario vs. Salta game along with a small match preview. The match starts at 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
I'm hoping to get to the game, but I have lost a lot of work time due to all the rain and I might do a bit on Saturday, so I might just watch it via the net.

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3817&leagueID=0&page=53047

And Shaggy it says your PM box is full I tried to send you a PM but it was full.

Last edited:
Yeah they had a shocking season last year BC, and I don't think Ed got a game in, I know he did play for them in 2009, not sure if he will play this year with all the World Cup preparation. The Rock looked good in their pre season game, last years defending champs.

I found a link for the Ontario vs. Salta game along with a small match preview. The match starts at 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
I'm hoping to get to the game, but I have lost a lot of work time due to all the rain and I might do a bit on Saturday, so I might just watch it via the net.

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3817&leagueID=0&page=53047

And Shaggy it says your PM box is full I tried to send you a PM but it was full.

Thanks for the link ... I've fixed the PM box full thing now ... I confess, I've been hoarding messages :D

Latest posts