• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2011 NEW ZEALAND RUGBY WORLD CUP

K

kaiauakid

I am part way through writing an ebook...well really a magazine about the NZ 2011 Rugby World Cup. Plan to have on the internet by March/April 2010 (next year) and then a follow up in Jan/Feb 2011. One of the things in it will be an el cheapo return airfare out of Heathrow (exclusively to the readers of this mag) with a possible 35% discount for the rugby fan/nutter....as long as the fare is paid for by Jan 30th 2011......has to find own accomodation etc but airfare will be cheap! cheap! cheap!.....yet to be signed off, but have a lot of interest from airlines.

Is this info and airfare attractive to the fans?

What else does the fan (read potential traveller) want to know TODAY?

We'll list the venues, towns, the restaurants, accomodation, pubs and drinking places, nite clubs, tourism, how to get there.....even try and find out the referees names so you can hassle them before the game!!!!! watch out for their s-t-r-a-n-g-e driving law. It's a doozey!....and when you get there, you just gotta try their green-lipped mussels!...ummm, smoked, battered, steamed in wine, in the shell on a fire, curried. All yummy, sweet as Bro!....and go to a place called Kaiaua, ("kye-oh-wuhh") 80 min south of Auckland where the best fish and chips are served. Pub next door - 1 min from the beach. Then, after the pub you can drive another 10 minutes south and jump in to the Miranda Hot Pools. As they say locally, 'fennn-test-tick Bro! choyyys!'

I guess, I am writing to see WHAT information you (the fan) would like to know about NZ and the event, today. That's almost 23 months before the whistle, but you gotta start planning soon. Write a list....might get your name up in lights! Cheers! and BIG thanks for your help.

Well I currently live in Brisbane, but used to live in NZ (New Plymouth). I am going to come over just for the final and not spend much time touring round, partly because I've seen most of it before.

If I were going to suggest information, I would say that pubs and clubs would be important. Mostly because the people who would go to the world cup for longer than 1 weekend, would be in their 20's and wanting to find out about what they can do at night.

If my travel arangements go as planned Ill be in Australia at the time and will be doing my best
to head over for a few games. Any Welsh fans planning on heading to Wellington can sample some Welsh
hospitality at the Welsh Dragon bar. Its just off Courtney place in Welly, my GF works there and may be working there during the WC, the place should be buzzing when the taffs are in town to take on SA.

i think were gonna plan our tour around the RWC so if all goes to plan me and my team will be there : )

I am planning to come to support Canada to see our game vs. Asia 1 (likely Japan, again) in Napier and then the match against the All Blacks in Wellington. I would like to know what else we should see in NZ, especially stuff like LOTR related sites and even more important stuff like where Brett and Jemaine lived while growing up.

Also pubs of interest in the cities hosting the games would be good info, as well as hotel info from 1 star hotel all the way up to 5 star sites like Cape Kidnappers, which is near Napier I believe.

One more thing - how about flight discounts from North America to NZ? If you are doing this with ANZ I do believe they have direct flights from Vancouver and LAX, perhaps also San Fran.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Oct 14 2009, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One more thing - how about flight discounts from North America to NZ? If you are doing this with ANZ I do believe they have direct flights from Vancouver and LAX, perhaps also San Fran.[/b]

Hi Wayner...........at present we are only talking with European to NZ airlines....where the biggest rugby population will travel from. We hope the fare can get down to 880BPD or somewhere around that price (I think it's normally 1100BPD???)....will keep the forum informed. Not Air NZ.....too stuffy.

To the others, yes, I will try and get as much accomodation info as poss....food costs are also on the agenda as well as rental cars etc so that you can have a fairly wide view of costs 18 months before the whistle. It wont be exact but close enuff to know what the NZ ground costs will be. The book will be around the 150 to 200 pages mark (packed with great information for the poor ******** who can't get there and are sitting at home crying in front of their TV sets during each game!) and hope I can persuade the owners of this forum to let me give away 250 FREE books here next March.

Brett and Germain come from a little town called Masterton, about 3/4 of way south from Napier to Wellington. They are real heroes in that town....talk to ANY of the locals and they'll tell you wild (BS?) stories about them. Cape Kidnappers is only 40? 50 min south of Napier....full of bloody gannets squawking and ******** about the place.......pity the locals didn't see them as food!

One of the things I have been approached about is the 'Maori experience.' Like, going onto their cultural tours, (a fantastic one in Waimarama, near Napier, is eel fishing at night with torches! to me that is a real Kiwi experience. Up in Auckland, a private upmarket Maori restaurant on the sand with a Maori concert in front of a huge bonfire.....300 quid a head I believe!!!!!) and visiting their Maori villages. By the way, expect to rub noses (called a hongi...phonetically: "haww-ngee") as this is traditional.....you also gotta get an invitation to Maori cuisine called a hangi. They bury the food under leaves in the hot ground oven for 3 to 4 hours and then out comes this delicious, scrumptious tasting food that is truly out of this world! Will make your European white-mans taste buds go 'boiiiiing!' fricken' finger sucking great! Learn the local greeting....kia ora - phonetically: "key-aura." Means, gidday.....how-yer-goin'....hello....greetings. The locals will love you for that...their PM uses it all the time.

What else does everybody want to know?.........yeh! yeh!....the finals will be AB's playing Wallabys.....and the fricken AB's shite themselves....again! another New Zealander mass suicide outside of Eden Park!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaiauakid @ Oct 14 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Oct 14 2009, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One more thing - how about flight discounts from North America to NZ? If you are doing this with ANZ I do believe they have direct flights from Vancouver and LAX, perhaps also San Fran.[/b]

Hi Wayner...........at present we are only talking with European to NZ airlines....where the biggest rugby population will travel from. We hope the fare can get down to 880BPD or somewhere around that price (I think it's normally 1100BPD???)....will keep the forum informed. Not Air NZ.....too stuffy.

To the others, yes, I will try and get as much accomodation info as poss....food costs are also on the agenda as well as rental cars etc so that you can have a fairly wide view of costs 18 months before the whistle. It wont be exact but close enuff to know what the NZ ground costs will be. The book will be around the 150 to 200 pages mark (packed with great information for the poor ******** who can't get there and are sitting at home crying in front of their TV sets during each game!) and hope I can persuade the owners of this forum to let me give away 250 FREE books here next March.

Brett and Germain come from a little town called Masterton, about 3/4 of way south from Napier to Wellington. They are real heroes in that town....talk to ANY of the locals and they'll tell you wild (BS?) stories about them. Cape Kidnappers is only 40? 50 min south of Napier....full of bloody gannets squawking and ******** about the place.......pity the locals didn't see them as food!

One of the things I have been approached about is the 'Maori experience.' Like, going onto their cultural tours, (a fantastic one in Waimarama, near Napier, is eel fishing at night with torches! to me that is a real Kiwi experience. Up in Auckland, a private upmarket Maori restaurant on the sand with a Maori concert in front of a huge bonfire.....300 quid a head I believe!!!!!) and visiting their Maori villages. By the way, expect to rub noses (called a hongi...phonetically: "haww-ngee") as this is traditional.....you also gotta get an invitation to Maori cuisine called a hangi. They bury the food under leaves in the hot ground oven for 3 to 4 hours and then out comes this delicious, scrumptious tasting food that is truly out of this world! Will make your European white-mans taste buds go 'boiiiiing!' fricken' finger sucking great! Learn the local greeting....kia ora - phonetically: "key-aura." Means, gidday.....how-yer-goin'....hello....greetings. The locals will love you for that...their PM uses it all the time.

What else does everybody want to know?.........yeh! yeh!....the finals will be AB's playing Wallabys.....and the fricken AB's shite themselves....again! another New Zealander mass suicide outside of Eden Park!
[/b][/quote]
Yes, we've all seen how effective the Wallabies have been against the All Blacks in recent years. Is it Australia's 6th consecutive loss against New Zealand or their 7th, I forget.

I'm hoping to be there in NZ at the time. No definate plans, though at the moment I'm planning on taking a career break from work in order to take a year off and go travelling. I was planning on doing this next year, but I've since thought about holding back untill 2011 so that I can be in NZ at the same time as the world cup.

Got to think about these things you know....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaiauakid @ Oct 13 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What else does everybody want to know?.........yeh! yeh!....the finals will be AB's playing Wallabys.....and the fricken AB's shite themselves....again! another New Zealander mass suicide outside of Eden Park![/b]
I will be back in Canada by the time the finals begin - I would hate to see the ABs lose as that would be the most heartbraking day in NZ history.

yehhhhh.....me too Wayner,.....me too. Just trying to help my poor wee delicate Kiwi body from getting disappointed like France. Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. As Nick rightly said, how many times have the Wallabys been effective in the last 6 games????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaiauakid @ Oct 15 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yehhhhh.....me too Wayner,.....me too. Just trying to help my poor wee delicate Kiwi body from getting disappointed like France. Preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. As Nick rightly said, how many times have the Wallabys been effective in the last 6 games????[/b]
Hey Kaiauakid, you gotta be dreamin mate, the Wallabies got no show of making the final, AB's, Bok's final and sadly yes, the bloody Yarpies will probably take it back to YaYa land/.
Anyone who comes down here for the cup has just gotta check out NZ's West Coast especially a little coastal town about 30kms west of Hamilton called Raglan for you surfie boys its got the best longest left hand break in the Southern hemisfere

I have Sadly I won't be going. I planned to go but I'm not going to be able to afford to go and do what I would like to at a World Cup. I would follow the Argentina Pumas arround and go to all of their games and other games at the same venues. But, if I were to go I'd only be able to go to a few games, which I think defeats the purpose. So I am not going to go, but I think I'll be in Japan for 2019. Thats better than England 2015 in my opinion. It also gives me a little under 10 years to learn Japanese.

I will be hosting people at my house for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016. I don't live in Rio but I'll be doing a massive roadtrip with Brazilian rugby mad people. The, of course, there is the 2023 Rugby World Cup which should be held in Argentina!!!!!!!!!

I'm going! :D

In 2007, during the WC I met some Kiwis at the NZ v Italy match. <strike>After weeks of calling each other names</strike> somehow we became friends, and they said they would be delighted to host us in 2011, come the next WC. I first thought they were talking non-sense until I called them a couple months ago -- the offer stands! :eek:

I am going to attend every single game played by Los Pumas, and maybe some others!

I'll be hosting people at home during the Football WC in 2010. Whoever wants to attend should be contacting me already -- no kidding!

Melhor, if I'm still alive in 2016 I am definitely going to go to Brazil for the Olympic Games -- if you do have some space, I'd love to go with your people. If everything goes down as I intend it to do, I'll drive all the way to Río with my father and my cousins.

Well, i will mostlikely skip it, will go to NZ end of 2010 or beginning 2011.
Just visiting my family and friends. Maybe some good form of accomodation would be nice, I know from experience that every time there's an event going on in NZ it's very hard to find a place to stay, except staying with friends.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 28 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just visiting my family and friends. Maybe some good form of accomodation would be nice, I know from experience that every time there's an event going on in NZ it's very hard to find a place to stay, except staying with friends.[/b]

.....talk to me amobok etc.....have a farm 70 min south of Akl with huge paddocks. Have you got a tent? farm also has a private beach where you can get mussels and fish for dinner. Your cost? food, car, tent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaiauakid @ Nov 2 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 28 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just visiting my family and friends. Maybe some good form of accomodation would be nice, I know from experience that every time there's an event going on in NZ it's very hard to find a place to stay, except staying with friends.[/b]

.....talk to me amobok etc.....have a farm 70 min south of Akl with huge paddocks. Have you got a tent? farm also has a private beach where you can get mussels and fish for dinner. Your cost? food, car, tent.
[/b][/quote]

Hmmmmmm, I will give you a shout when i know more :D

As I will be a poor student at the time, I don't think I'll be able to attend any actual matches, but if I do it will likely be amongst some 'minnows' where the tickets are about $100 cheaper than All Blacks matches. Other than that I'll be undergoing the alternative option and hit the pubs.

To all you bikers out there, might I suggest the Puhoi Pub, it's 40 minutes north of Auckland. I can't give exact directions, as I've only been there once, but it's one of the places that has stuck in my memory. Some other New Zealand users might know more about the place than me, but personally I think it's worth a visit.

If you're in the Taranaki region, then I'd suggest going up the Kapuni side of the mountain and checking out Dawson Falls. It's about a ten minute walk each way, but it's worth a look if you want to see some nature, and you don't have to be much of a tramper to get there.

Down Wellington way I'd just suggest that you go for a walk along the walkway.

Looking at the match schedule, these three matches look like the ones I would be most likely to attend, if I attend any:

Ireland v Americas 2, Argentina v Europe 1 and New Zealand v Canada.

If anyone here is thinking about going to any of these matches, and if I think I will definitely be able to go closer to the time, I'd love to meet up.

Latest posts