Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
/blogbanners/6NationsPreview2011Part1.png

Another epic Autumn International series, full of edge - of - your - seat moments, massive hits, and a certain Twickenham try, that will have supporters and pundits alike grinning like ten year olds on Christmas morning, is over and done with. Now we look forward to a pre - World Cup Six Nations, guaranteed to be a platform for those who do well, and a slap in the face for the team(probably Roman in origin) that gets the unwanted prize of the 'wooden spoon'.
So, let's look forward to the Six Nations of 2011, and get a small insight into the strengths and weaknesses of each team.Let's start with the most likely ***le contenders. For last place that is. Italy.Discuss the Six Nations HereItaly are a team that has struggled hugely in the competition since their addition to the previous 'Five Nations' in 2000. Their forward prowess has often managed to stem the flow of heavy defeats, however their lack of orchestrators in the key positions 'scrum - half' and fly - half' has let them down since the notable retirements of Stade Francais genius and fly - half Diego Dominguez, and Treviso scrum - half Alessandro Troncon, 'revered as his country's most notable and famous rugby player'. The pair played together on more than 50 occasions, giving stability and balance, while Dominguez's 983 points in 74 internationals gave the team as a whole a reliable source of points.

Nowadays, not even the dreaded scrum - half Paul Griffin is playing for the team, so they rely on inexperienced Pablo Canavosio, with no fly - half nailing down the jersey. Since Dominguez's departure from international rugby, the Azzurri have had a real problem with getting a consistent goal - kicker. They used bit - part players without international class simply because they could put their foot through a ball, which is always a desperate and ineffective strategy.
If we're honest, we all know that the Italians' best chance of even securing a win in the tournament will be won by playing better than their football counterparts did in this years South African World Cup. All jokes aside, the way for Italy to win is for them to play the most unattractive kind of rugby possible, for seventy nine minutes of the match. In the remaining minute they can use what remnants of a back - line they have left to hopefully kick the oval straight into row Z. Their forwards really are quite a scary sight, full of people who look like they might well mug you for a T - Bone steak. I mean, the Leicester Tigers prop Martin Castrogiovanni looks more like a bear than a tiger, and should be avoided at all costs. The man is a genuine animal, and ever since moving to England, has been causing mayhem to poor clean - shaven, home - counties front rowers. Nick Mallet has given a real impetus to the whole team, and the backs are actually starting to come out of the woodwork and into form, giving Mirco Bergamasco the support he has needed for the first five years of his test career.
2211222329_606eb9c116.jpg

I have also failed to mention that Italy, more by luck than judgement, have in their ranks one of the best number 8's in the world, Sergio Parisse. The captain has 65 caps for Italy, and defines the term 'Lead from the front'. He is a huge figure, an inspirational leader, and more importantly, their best player by a country mile. If Italy are aiming to come fifth or higher, Parisse must get over his recent spate of injuries and pull on his jersey in February with some of his seemingly effortless genius in tow, like the paparazzi that hang on his every word.
Image: Sergio Parisse sporting his new feminist undershirt.
Italy
Strength: Big forward pack
Weakness: Inexperienced in key positions.
Star man: Sergio Parisse
Prediction: Wooden Spoon Onto Scotland, the 'woads', a team consisting of more redheads than the hub around a supermarket at the release of a new range of sun lotion. The North of the border has been lacking any top quality rugby in the last ten years. As a rule. However the Autumn Internationals showed that if it rains, as it very much likes to in Scotland, then there is a chance for a massive upset. This was epitomised in the 21 - 17 victory over the South African Springboks at Murrayfield, when horrible weather and accurate kicking won them a dull game. It's a depressing but clear future for Scottish rugby, as their forwards continue to struggle against the formidable packs of Wales and Italy, and their backs can do nothing right when compared with France's fatal Toulouse contingent, a back line of pure class.Scotland must concentrate on their basics, as some of their runners, such as new find Joe Ansbro and experienced winger Sean Lamont, are hugely influential in terms of creating chances through their physical approach. Scotland's forwards are in surprisingly good nick at the moment, managing to keep up with the South African giants and suppress the one known as 'The Beast' or Tendai Mtawarira by his mum and dad.
AnsbroPA6_web_rdax_520x332.jpg
Image: Joe Ansbro, the first black man to ever play for Scotland. He made his debut against South Africa in the Autumn Series.Scotland's main problem, in my opinion, is that their players are more put into the starting fifteen to stem the tide than to build the dam. Their players have been in recent years solid but nothing special, meaning the big three southern - hemisphere teams will take their mediocrity and turn it into points, like magicians with funny accents. However, I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel for Scottish rugby, as more and more players are starting to show true class at club - level, giving ex - England coach Andy Robinson more reasons to scratch his already balding head and ponder his selections for the RBS Six Nations of 2011. Join to this the fact that he already has a consistent performer in fly - half Dan Parks, ironically receiving the 'Man of the Match' award twice in last years Six Nations, even though both games were Scotland losses. Parks has shown for a number of years that his consistency doesn't falter under pressure, and his goal - kicking is extremely reliable, a bonus for any International Rugby coach. Scotland.
Strength: Big runners.
Weakness: Lack of winning experience + Average pack.
Star man: Dan Parks
Prediction: 5th

Next, we move on to the Irish. Ireland have been fairly steady ***le contenders in the past 5 years. They have built a both solid and capable team, winning a Grand Slam in 2009 and being denied a Triple Crown with the last kick of a 23- 20 loss to Scotland on 20th March 2010. They may have young talent coming from the Heineken Cup dominators Leinster and Munster, such as Keith Earls, Jonny Sexton and fairytale giant Devin Toner, however it is still age before beauty in terms of the squad as a whole. Key figures such as Paul O' Connell and the centre combination mentioned below bring the experience necessary to release an exciting, young and talented crop of players.

_40675863_odrsicoll_darcy203x270.jpg

Brian O' Driscoll is still the obvious figure in terms of pure class, regardless of age, as is his centre partner at both club and international level, Gordon D'arcy. These two have been one of the best 12 - 13 combinations not only in Europe but Worldwide, stunning the international scene with pace, strength and incredible, almost telepathic communication. The two compliment eachother incredibly, and are a pivotal part of the Irish team, providing a massive 255 points between them and the former captaining Ireland to their first Grand Slam since 1948 in 2009.

Image: A youthful looking centre pairing of Gordon Darcy and Brian O' Driscoll.Having British and Irish lions Cian Healey, Jamie Heaslip and Rob Kearney, to name but a few, is a huge plus for head coach Declan Kidney, a man who knows all about the difficulties of forming a winning team. Kidney didn't manage to settle at Munster, a club with which he had two stints, firstly from 1998 - 2002 and then from 2005 - 2008. His first stint being deemed as a failure, as he 'merely' managed to reach the final of the Heineken Cup in 2000 and 2002. This shows Munster's gravitas within the European game, and luckily for Mr. Kidney in 2005 he went back and won the famed trophy not once, but twice, in his comeback season and also in 2008. Kidney has proved himself since taking the job of predecessor Eddie O'Sullivan, being awarded 'IRB Coach of the Year' on 28th November 2009, followed by 'Phillips Manager of the Year' on 9th December 2009 due mainly to his part in coaching Ireland to a first Grand Slam in since 1948 in the same year.
Ireland now have a consistent core of quality international players, and it is still a mystery as to their lack of form in the Autumn Internationals, where they had a series of poor performances, losing to a weak South African team among others. I think that the Irish team at present will grow into an incredibly strong team, in a couple of years, but I think this year is a bit soon for them to be ***le contenders, and a lack of depth in key positions could also be potentially problematic.

Ireland.
Strength: Good combination of experience and youth.
Weakness: Front Row
Star Man: Brian O'Driscoll
Prediction:4thTo discuss the Six Nations Visit The Six Nations Forum Click Here

Cian Healy isn't a Lion...

This thread is pretty tough on Ireland. I'm confident enough that Ireland can do well based on performances by Irish players in the Heineken Cup. You didn't mention Sean O'Brien who in my opinion has been the best player in Europe this season. I think we've the best backrow and centre pairing in the competition and probably the most threatening attacking flyhalf in Jonny Sexton. I believe our major weakness lies in the front row where we've struggled to compete with anyone in the scrum over the last 2 years. If Mike Ross is selected, as he should be, then I think Ireland will hold their own in the scrum. I can't see them bullying anyone in this area but I think they can steady the ship. Two other potential areas of weakness are at fullback and scrumhalf. The injured Rob Kearney has been left out of Kidney's 30 man squad for the 6 nations but in all honesty even if he was available he wouldn't be guaranteed the jersey. His performances in club and international rugby of late have been sub-par. The obvious choice for fullback is Luke Fitzgerald. He claims it to be the position where he plays best. I'd disagree based on some performances he's had there this season. Fitz has looked shakey over the last 2 weeks in my opinion and I actually wouldn't start him on the wing, let alone at fullback. 3 of the 4 tries conceeded in the last 2 Heineken Cup matches were down his wing and the one that wasn't was entirely his fault anyway. If I were picking the team I would put Luke on the Wolfhounds for a game or 2 so he can find his feet and I'd probably start Earls and McFadden on the wings with Bowe at fullback.
There are 4 scrumhalves in contention for the Irish 9 jersey. None of them are really going to strike fear into the heart of the opposition. Stringer and Reddan are the 2 scrumhalves who have been preforming reasonably well lately. I'd pick Stringer at 9 for his quick pass. It's the same mentality as I'd have for picking Ross at 3; just pick someone who can do the main job well. Stringer's not likely to run the show or make too many impressive breaks but our talented backline will sort that out and it'll make it even easier for them if they have quick ball off the back of the rucks.
I would consider Ireland to be in better shape than Wales and not far behind England or France. I'd say they'll come 2nd or 3rd but I think we have serious hopes of winning the 6 nations this year.

While I think what you say about Bowe at FB is a good idea i think it will be Duffy at 15 with kidney going to the safe option, but who knows.

I have my eyes completely set on a slam. We have the best backrow in Europe, the best flyhalf, the best centres and some other quality thrown in there too. Anything less and I'll be disappointed.

Scotland's... players have been in recent years solid but nothing special, meaning the big three southern - hemisphere teams will take their mediocrity and turn it into points, like magicians with funny accents.

Erm, we've beaten two out of those big three southern hemisphere teams in the last two seasons!

Will be genuinely and massively disappointed if we lose any of our home matches and as such cannot see us coming as low as 5th. Ireland and Wales will have to have some transformation to merit beating Scotland. The match in Cardiff last year has been gone over 100 times but it was a horrendous match for the Scotland players, physically and psychologically, yet it was only an exceptional set of circumstances in the last 10 mins or so (including the questionable actions of Mr Byrne) and the team effectively being down to 11 players that allowed Wales the chance to snatch the win. And they haven't done very much to impress since - won 1, drawn 1 in 10 matches. I've heard a lot from Irish fans that Ireland lost that match at Croke Park rather than Scotland having won it but even if that was the case (and Scotland grinding out wins and forcing teams into errors or giving away penalties has been a strength that has simply increased under AR) what suggests Ireland will be any better this time around? Again, their recent form is very poor - losing 6 out of their last 8 matches and I can't see what has changed within that team to indicate that their form will suddenly improve. I'd put Wales and Ireland to finish 4th and 5th this year, they seem tired teams without any single component of form, belief or spark - and you can't say that of Scotland.

Erm, we've beaten two out of those big three southern hemisphere teams in the last two seasons!

Will be genuinely and massively disappointed if we lose any of our home matches and as such cannot see us coming as low as 5th. Ireland and Wales will have to have some transformation to merit beating Scotland. The match in Cardiff last year has been gone over 100 times but it was a horrendous match for the Scotland players, physically and psychologically, yet it was only an exceptional set of circumstances in the last 10 mins or so (including the questionable actions of Mr Byrne) and the team effectively being down to 11 players that allowed Wales the chance to snatch the win. And they haven't done very much to impress since - won 1, drawn 1 in 10 matches. I've heard a lot from Irish fans that Ireland lost that match at Croke Park rather than Scotland having won it but even if that was the case (and Scotland grinding out wins and forcing teams into errors or giving away penalties has been a strength that has simply increased under AR) what suggests Ireland will be any better this time around? Again, their recent form is very poor - losing 6 out of their last 8 matches and I can't see what has changed within that team to indicate that their form will suddenly improve. I'd put Wales and Ireland to finish 4th and 5th this year, they seem tired teams without any single component of form, belief or spark - and you can't say that of Scotland.

Erroneous!

Scotland can only beat other teams through boring, negative rugby. They drag the teams down to their crap level and beat them by experience.

Scotland can only beat other teams through boring, negative rugby. They drag the teams down to their crap level and beat them by experience.

Well, if it leads to us beating Ireland, I have no problems with that B)

Edit: Oh, and it's called being realistic, if they know they can't score that many tries, why bother trying? (no pun intended)

I agree with the above, but I do think tat when Italy and Scotland have their moment of brilliance they can win some games.
Not the most exciting rugby but it's the result that counts.

Sorry for the mistake regarding Cian Healey's Lions credentials, obviously didn't research it well enough. Thanks for taking the time to read my work though, means a lot to receive both positive and negative feedback as a young blogger. Not sure about Stringer at nine, because with scrum halves such as Mike Phillips, 6.2 and 16.5 stone, he will be run straight over. However I do agree that his pass is exceptional. Scotland I have to say only beat people with an in - form Dan Parks on boggy, muddy, rainy Edinburgh nights, and it would be a shame if that was the only way that Scotland could play, as players such as Max Evans, the Lamont brothers and Paterson do have the potential to create some magic. However, Hiz, I think you're deluded if you think either Wales, Ireland, England or France are going to end the tournament beneath Scotland. Think Italy may even challenge you this year, with Parisse, the Bergamasco brothers and Canale playing well.

String despite being small has shown he can out a man down and he IMO has saved many a try whit his little tap tackles.

Aye, I think Stringer is capable in defence, but his delivery is what sets him apart from the other Irish 9s, atm
No point having a your forwards doing all the work to get you the ball if your scrumhalf takes so long to ship it out that the defence is set and waiting

It's weird seeing Stringer around the international scene... I was CERTAIN this was the end of his international career;

Uggghhh!! That video still sends a shiver up my spine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggesting Wales are going to finish top 3? Oh, you are too kind.

No, really. You are too kind...

Nice analysis though. I'd break it up into more paragraphs if you get a chance to edit though!

Yeah I have to agree that Stringer is probably the best of the Irish 9's at the moment, even though I wouldn't really say he's International class anymore. He does however have a stunning delivery and when he plays well, Christ does he play well! I just think that his defence may be a weak point, especially with the potential for a shallow chip and chase.
Actually Meh, even though I am biased, I think that Wales have a good chance of getting a top three finish or even higher, as their trend of raising their game for the Six Nations is apparent for all to see from the last ten years. Wales, even without players like Tom Shanklin and Martyn Williams, still have brilliant players such as Jamie Roberts and Sam Warburton, who more than make up for the losses. We'll see how Wales do come Friday.

I think without Jenkins Wales are bollocksed on Friday. Undoubtedly their best player by a country mile

Latest posts