Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Canterbury
Canterbury.png

2011 record
: Played 10, won 6, lost 4 (33 points). 2nd​ in Premiership​

Canterbury continued their dominance in recent years of the ITM Cup in 2011, winning the tournament for the 4th​ year in succession, after defeating Waikato 12-3 in a tryless final. The season did not go entirely to plan though. They lost the Ranfurly Shield early in the season to Southland, and ended the season with less wins than Taranaki, and had to rely on bonus points to earn a spot in the final. As in many previous seasons, Canterbury are in some ways victims of their own success, with seven of their starting players unavailable for much of the season due to All Black commitments.

Canterbury's tight-five is particularly hard hit by the loss of All Blacks, with the both first choice props (Wyatt Crockett and Owen Franks) and locks (Sam Whitelock and Luke Romano) unavailable. Canterbury will rely heavily on the experience on hooker Cory Flynn, as the inexperience of the tight-five may be the only weakness in the Canterbury side. Canterbury still look to have a quality loose-forward trio despite the unavailability of Kieran Read and Richie McCaw, with George Whitelock, Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, and Nasi Manu all quality Super Rugby players.

Canterbury look particularly dangerous in the backs, with almost a complete backline of Super Rugby starters, as well as Super Rugby players covering from the bench. Andy Ellis is an exceptional halfback at this level, and will look to control the game alongside either Tom Taylor or Tyler Bleyendaal. Ryan Crotty had a strong Super Rugby season, while Robbie Fruean has always excelled at this level, and out wide Telusa Veainu, Patrick Osbourne, and Sean Maitland have enough pace and power to scare any opposition.

Possible match-day 23:

1. Paea Fa'anunu, 2. Corey Flynn, 3. Andrew Olorenshaw, 4. Luke Katane, 5. Dominic Bird, 6. George Whitelock (c), 7. Matt Todd, 8. Nasi Manu, 9. Andy Ellis, 10. Tom Taylor, 11. Adam Whitelock, 12. Ryan Crotty, 13. Robbie Fruean, 14. Telusa Veainu, 15. Sean Maitland
Reserves: 16. Codie Taylor, 17. Nepo Laulala, 18. Sam Cottam, 19. Joel Everson, 20. Luke Whitelock, 21. Willi Heinz, 22. Tyler Bleyendaal, 23. Patrick Osbourne

Predicted finish in 2012: 1st

Waikato

Waikato.png

2011 record
: Played 10, won 7, lost 3 (33 points). 2nd​ in Premiership.​

Waikato had a strong season in 2011, claiming top spot in the Premiership with a won 7, lost 3 record, though several of the defeats they did suffer (to Manawatu and Bay of Plenty) were very heavy. They were unable to continue their strong regular season form in the final, losing to Canterbury 12-3. Waikato look to have composed a strong squad again this season, that should be capable of pushing for the ***le in 2012.

Waikato have a well established front row - featuring Super Rugby props Toby Smith and Ben May - which should be able to more than hold its own against any team at this level. Lock is an area of concern for Waiakto however, with only one experienced lock in the squad (Romana Graham). There is certainly plenty of depth in the loose-forwards, with veteran Marty Holah sure to feature, alongside dynamic Hurricanes flanker Jack Lam, powerful captain Alex Bradley, and the versatile Matt Vant Leven. Waikato have such great depth in the loose forwards that promising players such as Rory Grice and Zac Hohneck may struggle to even make the match day 23.

Waikato have undoubtedly the strongest halfback rotation in the country, with the dynamic Chiefs pair of Tawera Kerr-Barlow and Brendon Leonard. Waikato are sure to miss Stephen Donald at first-five, though they do have a number of options at 10, with Sam Christie, Trent Renata, and Piers Francis all competing for this spot, though Renata may be preferred at fullback. Waikato possess a solid midfield of Jackson Willison and Save Tokula, while youngsters Declan O'Donnell, Glen Robertson, and Joe Webber will all be pushing for spots outwide, alongside New Zealand Sevens player Tim Mikkelson.

Possible match-day 23:

1. Toby Smith, 2. Marcel Cummings-Toone, 3. Ben May, 4. Chris Middleton, 5. Romana Graham, 6. Jack Lam, 7. Marty Holah, 8. Alex Bradley (c), 9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 10. Sam Christie, 11. Declan O'Donnell, 12. Jackson Willison, 13. Save Tokula, 14. Tim Mikkelson, 15. Trent Renata
Reserves: 16. Vance Elliot, 17. Ted Tauroa, 18. Fraser Armstrong, 19. Sam Kilgour, 20. Matt Vant Leven, 21. Brendon Leonard, 22. Piers Francis, 23. Glen Robertson

Predicted finish in 2012: 3rd​

Taranaki

Taranaki.png

2011 record
: Played 10, won 7, lost 3 (31 points). 3rd​ in Premiership​

Taranaki had a strong season in the 2011, with the highlight of the season undoubtedly being winning the Shield off Southland in round 12. They were perhaps unlucky not to have made the finals of the Premiership too, as they ended the season with a better win:loss record than Canterbury, but their inability to collect bonus points saw them finish in 3rd​ position. They enter 2012 as holders of the Ranfurly Shield, and will be under pressure not only to maintain the Shield, but to match or better their 3rd​ place performance of last season.

The strength of the Taranaki side is without doubt their tight five. Though Andrew Hore is with the All Blacks, they can still rely on experienced hooker Laurence Corlett, while Highlanders prop Chris King joins Michael Bent, Shane Cleaver, and Willie Ioane as propping options. Lock is an area of immense strength for Taranaki, with four Super Rugby locks in the side (Craig Clarke, James Broadhurst, Jason Eaton, and Jarrad Hoeata), and several other promising options (Blade Thomson and Kane Barrett). Eaton, Hoeata, Thomson, and Barrett may however be employed in other positions, meaning they should have plenty of height at lineout time. Openside flanker Scott Waldrom had an outstanding season for Taranaki in 2011, and will look to repeat that performance this year.

Taranaki welcome experienced halfback Chris Smylie into the side this season, but one of the key backline players will definitely be Beauden Barrett. Barrett had an outstanding season for Taranaki last year, and followed it up with a strong season for the Hurricanes, and will look to spark Taranaki's backline again this season. Despite their forward dominance last season, Taranaki often struggled to score tries, earning only two try scoring bonus points last season. With the electric Andre Taylor out wide, backed up by Highlanders fullback Kurt Baker and young speedsters such as Waisake Naholo and Jackson Ormond, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to score more freely this season.

Possible match-day 23:

1. Michael Bent, 2. Laurence Corlett, 3. Chris King, 4. Craig Clarke (c), 5. James Broadhurst, 6. Jason Eaton, 7. Scott Waldrom, 8. Jarrad Hoeata, 9. Chris Smylie, 10. Beauden Barrett, 11. Jackson Ormond, 12. Jayden Hayward, 13. Willie Rickards, 14. Andre Taylor, 15. Kurt Baker
Reserves: 16. Timo Tutavaha, 17. Shane Cleaver, 18. Willie Ioane, 19. Blade Thomson, 20. Chris Walker, 21. Brett Goodin, 22. James Marshall, 23. Waisake Naholo

Predicted finish in 2012: 2nd

Bay of Plenty

Bay%20of%20Plenty.png

2011 record
: Played 10, won 6, lost 4 (31 points). 4th​ in Premiership​

Bay of Plenty made an outstanding start to the 2011 season, winning their first four matches, including comprehensive victories over Wellington and Waikato. They looked set for a finals spot before a shock loss to Northland saw the wheels fall off their campaign, with Bay of Plenty ending the season in 4th​ spot, though only two points behind the top teams. The enter 2012 with high expectations, though these have been somewhat tempered due to the absence of a number of key players.

Though they have few stars in their tight-five, Bay of Plenty are well served up front, with a number of hard-working players. Depth at prop and lock may prove an issue though if they do suffer injuries. The departure of inspirational skipper Colin Bourke is a major blow for Bay of Plenty, and this is compounded with the absence of Sam Cane, who is away with the All Blacks. In Tanerau Latimer and Luke Braid they still possess several quality loose-forwards, though they need youngsters Carl Axtens and Jesse Acton to step up this season.

The experienced 9,10, 12 axis of Jamie Nutbrown, Chris Noakes, and Phil Burleigh is a key for Bay of Plenty, and if they get quality ball they will look to control the game. Injuries to Jason Hona and Toby Arnold have deprived Bay of Plenty of some firepower out wide, though Kenny Lynn's arrival will help alleviate this, and Lelia Masaga is always a massive threat at this level.

Possible match-day 23:

1. Tristan Moran, 2. Dan Perrin, 3. Josh Hohneck, 4. Leon Power, 5. Culum Retallick, 6. Tanerau Latimer, 7. Luke Braid (c), 8. Carl Axtens, 9. Jamie Nutbrown, 10. Chris Noakes, 11. Ben Smith, 12. Phil Burleigh, 13. Mali Kefu, 14. Lelia Masaga, 15. Kenny Lynn
Reserves: 16. John Pareanga, 17. Mike Kainga, 18. Greg Pleasants-Tate, 19. Warren Smith, 20. Jesse Acton, 21. Josh Hall, 22. Nick McCashin, 23. Brett Mather

Predicted finish in 2012: 4th​

Auckland
Auckland.png

2011 record
: Played 10, won 5, lost 5 (26 points). 5th​ in Premiership.​

The traditional powerhouse of New Zealand rugby, Auckland had a disappointing season in 2011, finishing 5th​. With the unavailability of several All Blacks, and the departure of a number of experienced players, Auckland may struggle to improve on last seasons performance. The 2012 squad is one of the youngest and least experienced Auckland squads ever – the talent of many of the young players is undeniable, though one feels that this side is probably a number of years away from reaching their true potential.

Auckland have a promising - though inexperienced - tight-five, many of whom who have been part of the New Zealand Under 20's setup over the last few seasons. Captain Daniel Braid will have the massive job of getting the best out this young forward pack in the absence of experienced forwards such as John Afoa (overseas), Charlie Faumuina (with the All Blacks), Ali Williams (injured), Jerome Kaino (injured and departing), and Chris Lowrey (overseas).

Alby Mathewson and Gareth Anscombe form a solid halves pairing, and Anscombe's accurate goal-kicking will be vital for Auckland. Outside of Anscombe there is a host of young talented players. Though questions remain as to how they will deal with the pressure of tight matches given their lack of experience at this level, there is no doubt a backline containing players of the calibre of George Moala, Ben Lam, and Charles Piutau could cause any opposition backline difficulties if they manage to click.

Possible match-day 23:

1. Pauliasi Manu, 2. Tom McCartney, 3. Angus Ta'avao, 4. Liaki Moli, 5. Steven Luatua, 6. Nathan Hughes, 7. Daniel Braid (c), 8. Peter Saili, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Gareth Anscombe, 11. George Moala, 12. Hadleigh Parkes, 13. Malakai Fekitoa, 14. Ben Lam, 15. Charles Piutau
Reserves: 16. Steve Fualau, 17. Siua Halanukonuka, 18. Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19. Andrew Van der Heijden, 20. Sean Polwart, 21. Auvasa Faleali'i, 22. Tony Fenner, 23. Dave Thomas

Predicted finish in 2012: 6th

Wellington
Wellington.png

2011 record
: Played 10, won 5, lost 5 (25 points). 6th​ in Premiership​

Wellington had mixed results in 2011, with impressive victories over Canterbury and Taranaki, though they suffered embarrassing defeats to Bay of Plenty and Hawke's Bay. The ended 6th​ overall in the Premiership, and will want to improve that position this season. However with injuries to key playmakers, and a number of their top players earning All Blacks call ups, 2012 may prove another difficult season.

Though still young, the Wellington Lions front row is one of one of the most exciting in the country, with hooker Dane Coles hooking between promising props Reggie Goodes and Jeffery Toomaga-Allen. Powerful bench hooker Motu Matu'u is sure to make an impact (literally) on opposition players when he is unleashed from the bench too. Wellington have an experienced locking combination, however due to the absence of Brad Shields (injured), Faifili Levave (in Japan), and Victor Vito (All Blacks), Wellington look a bit light in the loose forwards. They will be happy to welcome back Serge Lilo though, who missed last season with injury.

Injuries to Wellington's key halves pairing of TJ Perenara and Lima Sopoaga leave Wellington very thin at halfback and first five. Frae Wilson looks like he will get the first shot at 9, while Hurricanes second-five Tim Bateman may move in one spot to occupy the Lions 10 jersey, though experienced Samoan first-five Fa'atonu Fili is another option. Wellington look to have a very powerful midfield, with Charlie Ngatai and Shaun Treeby very direct runners, but lack the firepower the usually possess out wide, with their entire first choice back three (Savea, Gear, and Jane) selected for the All Blacks.

Possible match-day 23:

1. Reggie Goodes, 2. Dane Coles, 3. Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 5. Ross Filipo, 6. Mark Reddish, 7. Scott Fuglistaller, 8. Genesis Mamea, 9. Frae Wilson, 10. Tim Bateman, 11. Matt Proctor, 12. Charlie Ngatai, 13. Shaun Treeby, 14. Alapati Leiua, 15. Jason Woodward
Reserves: 16. Motu Matu'u, 17. Solomona Sakalia, 18. Whetu Henry, 19. Lua Lokotui, 20. Serge Lilo, 21. Tomasi Palu, 22. Fa'atonu Fili, 23. Ope Peleseuma

Predicted finish in 2012: 7th​ – relegated to Championship

Hawke's Bay
Hawkes%20Bay.png

2011 record
: Played 10, won 6, lost 4 (29 points). 1st​ in Championship – promoted to Premiership​

The Hawke's Bay Magpies had a strong season in 2011, finishing second place after the regular season, before beating Manawatu in the final to gain promotion to the Premiership in 2012. The 40-20 demolition of Wellington in round 7 was undoubtedly one of the highlights of the season. Though will be without star All Black fullback Israel Dagg, they still have enough talent to compete well with the other Premiership sides, though rely heavily on their Super Rugby players such as Hika Elliot, Ben Tameifuna, Karl Lowe, Chris Eaton, Andrew Horrell, and Zac Guildford.

Despite the departure of inspirational prop Sona Taumalolo, Hawke's Bay should be able to compete well up front, with fringe All Blacks Hika Elliot and Ben Tameifuna being joined by the experienced Peter Borlase, and the promising Ash Dixon. The loss of locks Brodie Retallick and Bryn Evans is less easily covered, with Ross Kennedy the only experienced lock remaining, though South African giant Johan Schoonbee has shown promise. The starting loose-forward trio looks strong, however they cannot afford to suffer many injuries in this department, as they lack depth in the loose forwards.

Kahn Fotuali'i is a massive loss for Hawke's Bay, as he was a key playmaker whether at 9 or 10. The departure of Dan Kirkpatrick has left Hawke's Bay with few experienced options at 10, with Dan Waenga and talented under 20's first-five Ihaia West likely fighting for the 10 jersey, though they may opt to shift Andrew Horrell – who had an outstanding season with the Chiefs - in from second-five. There is plenty of firepower out wide, with Guildford, Nemani, and Kaka all very dangerous at this level.

Possible match-day 23:

1. Adrian Barone, 2. Hika Elliot, 3. Ben Tameifuna, 4. Maselino Paulino, 5. Ross Kennedy, 6. Trent Boswell-Wakefield, 7. Karl Lowe, 8. Michael Coman (c), 9. Chris Eaton, 10. Dan Waenga, 11. Zac Guildford, 12. Andrew Horrell, 13. Tua Saseve, 14. Tino Nemani, 15. Gillies Kaka
Reserves: 16. Ash Dixon, 17. Jody Allen, 18. Peter Borlase, 19. Johan Schoonbee, 20. Kieran Coll, 21. Isaac Paewai, 22. Ihaia West, 23. Star Timu

Predicted finish in 2012: 5th​

Last edited:
Hawke's Bay and Taranaki look very strong this season, it's nice to see a bit more balance within the competition now, compared to, say, six or seven years ago.

For the Canterbury side:

1.Andrew Olorenshaw
2.Corey Flynn
3.Nepo Laulala

16.Ben Funnell
17.Joe Moody
18.Sam Cottam

Apart from that, good write up. I agree with all the rankings except I think Taranaki might come first.
Auckland's squad looks very exciting. Obviously not all of the young guns will perform straight away but some of them will likely force their way into SupeRugby. I'm hoping Tu'ungafasi is one of these. I've heard he has been performing well in the preseason (back in his usual tighthead position). I don't rate Manu so I hope to see Taavao-Matau and Tu'ungafasi propping their scrum by the end of the competition.

For the Canterbury side:

1.Andrew Olorenshaw
2.Corey Flynn
3.Nepo Laulala

16.Ben Funnell
17.Joe Moody
18.Sam Cottam

Apart from that, good write up. I agree with all the rankings except I think Taranaki might come first.
Auckland's squad looks very exciting. Obviously not all of the young guns will perform straight away but some of them will likely force their way into SupeRugby. I'm hoping Tu'ungafasi is one of these. I've heard he has been performing well in the preseason (back in his usual tighthead position). I don't rate Manu so I hope to see Taavao-Matau and Tu'ungafasi propping their scrum by the end of the competition.

I would be surprised if Fa'anunu doesn't feature in Canterbury's 22 - he was Canterbury's first choice LH prop last season when Crockett was unavailable. You are right that Nepo Laulala will likely feature somewhere (I had forgotten about him), and I actually meant to have Joe Moody in 17 rather than Mark Abbot (who I think is actually a loosie!). I was undecided whether to include Funnell or Taylor as the bench hooker. Funnell is certainly ahead of Taylor in terms of experience, but I think Taylor has more potential.

Last edited:
I thought Fa'anunu started off as the first choice loosehead but lost his place towards the end of the season. It seems you are right, though. Till Crockett came back, he seemed to hold on to his place. Joe Moody and Olorenshaw were ahead of him on the bench for the final, though (Laulala and Crockett started). This is a bit strange unless he was injured (he did apparently get charged with assault around this time - perhaps that had an impact).
I would still go with Funnell, even though Taylor does have a lot of potential (I would've loaned Taylor out to another province as I think we still have Paul Ngauamo). Funnell really performed last year and unless he stops performing, I think it is hard to justify Taylor's inclusion ahead of him. As much as I'd really like to have a good look at Taylor.

Adjusted front row:
1.Paea Fa'anunu
2.Corey Flynn
3.Nepo Laulala

16.Ben Funnell
17.Joe Moody
18.Andrew Olorenshaw

Canterbury certainly seem to have a good production line of hookers going at the moment. You would think that at least one of Funnell, Ngauamo, and Taylor will have to move somewhere else, as they all look quality players. I had forgotten about Ngauamo too - I think he has a lot of potential too, and would be probably the biggest hooker going around the NZ scene at the moment..

Good God Peter Borlase.

Borlase is a solid bench option at this level. He obviously struggled at Munster (which would come as no surprise to anyone who has watched him play!), but will add a bit of experience to the Hawke's Bay pack. Luckily Irish clubs have learnt the folly of signing no-name New Zealand props... oh wait..... Michael Bent......

Borlase is a solid bench option at this level. He obviously struggled at Munster (which would come as no surprise to anyone who has watched him play!), but will add a bit of experience to the Hawke's Bay pack. Luckily Irish clubs have learnt the folly of signing no-name New Zealand props... oh wait..... Michael Bent......

I've been told a few times the Rabo Pro 12 is inferior to the ITM Cup...(carefully opens can of worms)

Don't get me started on signing Bent White was good though.

I've never really watched more than the odd game of the ITM but I'm planning on starting to watch it regularly this year if the matches aren't too early. Just need you to clarify is it teams are divided into two divisions but everyone plays each other eventually going to respective playoffs? And then the Ranfurly Shield is separate and is defended every match by the current holders until they are defeated and the process continues?

I've been told a few times the Rabo Pro 12 is inferior to the ITM Cup...(carefully opens can of worms)
Don't get me started on signing Bent White was good though.

I haven't watched enough Rabo Pro 12 to comment. Borlase to me has always been a very poor scrummager, but he got away with that by being part of a dominant Canterbury pack. When he was taken out of that pack I'm not surprised his woeful scrummaging technique was exposed. White is a good quality player - perhaps not the most dynamic prop, but generally does his core job very well.

I've never really watched more than the odd game of the ITM but I'm planning on starting to watch it regularly this year if the matches aren't too early. Just need you to clarify is it teams are divided into two divisions but everyone plays each other eventually going to respective playoffs? And then the Ranfurly Shield is separate and is defended every match by the current holders until they are defeated and the process continues?

To help explain the competition format (or confuse you more?) here is pretty picture to explain the (rather silly in my opinion) format:
itmcup-structure.jpg

Basically you play every team in your division once, and 4/7 of the teams from the other division.

The Ranfurly Shield is completely separate (as you suggest), but many still regard it as the greatest prize in New Zealand provincial rugby (as it has been around NZ Rugby for over 100 years). If a team wins the Ranfurly Shield there will often be a victory parade in the home town, which gives you an idea of how important the winning the Shield is! The Shield is contested in every home match for the holder (apart from playoff matches which don't count) - therefore holders can lose as many away matches as they want, as long as they keep winning at home!

Interestingly Stuff has their own predictions, which are pretty awful compared to the ones you've done (which I by and large agree with):

1 Auckland
2 Canterbury
3 Taranaki
4 Wellington
5 Bay of Plenty
6 Hawke's Bay
7 Waikato
8 North Harbour
9 Southland
10 Northland
11 Counties Manukau
12 Manawatu
13 Otago
14 Tasman

Must be a Blues fan?

Interestingly Stuff has their own predictions, which are pretty awful compared to the ones you've done (which I by and large agree with):

1 Auckland
2 Canterbury
3 Taranaki
4 Wellington
5 Bay of Plenty
6 Hawke's Bay
7 Waikato
8 North Harbour
9 Southland
10 Northland
11 Counties Manukau
12 Manawatu
13 Otago
14 Tasman

Must be a Blues fan?

I think making predictions in this competition is pretty difficult given the closeness of the competition, but I do agree that some of these prediction are pretty... ummm interesting. Auckland winning seems a bit out of left field (as does Waikato coming last!) - I suppose we will know a bit more when the competition kicks off in a few days time.

Latest posts