Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Heineken%20Cup.png

Pool Six
Edinburgh.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Munster.png

Murrayfield, Edinburgh (12/10/2013, 13:35 Local Time)

Gloucester.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Perpignan.png

Kingsholm, Gloucester (12/10/2013, 18:00 Local Time)

Munster and Perpignan will contest this one I reckon.

I think Gloucester's form this season proves that the english clubs have too many teams in the heineken cup. They could probably do with losing a couple of qualification places. I mean if we're serious about lifting the quality of the competition then gloucester don't really fit into PRL elite competition ethos, do they.

I don't think that's true. Gloucester are in bad form, but they more than deserved a HC based on last season. Remember that Bath, who finished 7th and are in the Amlin, are good enough for a HC place.

love the USAP...I don't know how strong Munster is this year, but it seems like a big challenge for the Catalan team..

I don't think that's true. Gloucester are in bad form, but they more than deserved a HC based on last season. Remember that Bath, who finished 7th and are in the Amlin, are good enough for a HC place.

I think the term "also rans" sums up gloucester quite well. If you include them becasue they could trip big teams up at Kingsholm then that lends credence to the argument that Treviso, Cardiff and Glasgow are just as important to any euro competition.

I think Gloucester's form this season proves that the english clubs have too many teams in the heineken cup. They could probably do with losing a couple of qualification places. I mean if we're serious about lifting the quality of the competition then gloucester don't really fit into PRL elite competition ethos, do they.

Another reason to introduce Regions. Boost our Euro competitiveness without increasing the salary cap! ;)

Munster are looking good this season. All their top players have been wrapped in cotton wool and not allowed to play or train since the end of last season. ;)

Munster and Perpignan will contest this one I reckon.

Can't agree with this - as J'nuh says Gloucester are in poor form, but prior to the season beginning they were tipped for top 4 by many, and i don't think there's many among us who doubt their potential on paper. But in any case the inconsistency of most mid-table English teams over the past few years has been related to this issue. Many teams have crept into the heineken cup through a strong season and been poor the next season, rendering them pretty much cannon fodder for the top french and irish sides.

It's also a little inaccurate to say that Gloucester are in bad "form" per se.

Their tight five (particularly their front row) is just getting absolutely battered.

Really looking forward to seeing Taumalolo... love that guy.

Last edited:
I don't entirely agree that Gloucester have a poor tight give rats - Nick Wood has been a huge loss, so I guess yes in that respect it's down to crap depth rather than poor form. But Shaun Knight and Rupert Harden impressed me when I saw them last year.

Arguably lock is a problem. Make Kalamafoni play there so that the back-row can be qera kvesic and morgan. Oh I guess Hooker's an issue - don't really rate Daviduk.

I'll accept that.
I disagree that they have shown potential before, though; I maintain that they are just a bit ****.

It's also a little inaccurate to say that Gloucester are in bad "form" per se.

Their tight five (particularly their front row) is just getting absolutely battered.

Really looking forward to seeing Taumalolo... love that guy.
Half the front 5 have had very little game time. Here's the list:

Nick Wood (first-choice loosehead) is banned.
Shaun Knight (first-choice tighthead) had played 64 out of a possible 560 minutes coming into the Exeter game, having only recovered from injury the week before. All the other props have a head start and more match fitness than he.
Huia Edmonds (first-choice hooker) came back into the 23 after recovering from a 6-month long injury earlier in the week. No experience with new scrum rules, not match fit. He may not have even been fit because...
Britton and George, two of our hookers, are banned and injured respectively. This forced Edmonds into the team perhaps when he wasn't ready. Britton and George are big hookers that would undoubtedly help Gloucester out in the scrum.
Dan Murphy (second-choice loosehead) sustained a short-term injury the week before and apparently recovered in time for Exeter, but I doubt he was fully recovered if Yann Thomas was starting ahead of Dan.
James Hudson was making his Premiership debut for Glos, having not appeared for us since pre-season.

Yann Thomas/Darren Dawidiuk/Rupert Harden is not our first-team front row.

I didn't say there weren't any reasons for them being ****, but they are ****.
In the same way that Leicester haven't been the same this season - yes, there are reasons for it - but that doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Yeah, I'm just explaining part of the reason why the pack is so weak.

Though the front 5 at Glos certainly needs attention.

We should top this group I think. We won't get beaten at home, USAP and Gloucester away are two maybe games.

Edinburgh started very well. Matt Scott making some good runs and deserved their early try. Munster cant get a grip on the ball long enough to threaten. I also like the idea of Edinburgh allowing the crowd to stand on the running track so their closer to the action, makes the crowd look and sound bigger than usual.

Latest posts