• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 British and Irish Lions

samhall

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
It might seem a way off now but boy is it coming. Lions vs Australia could be one of the best tours in a long long time. Australia's young guns wont be quite as young but will be tighter and more talented. The Lions on the other hand have a chance in my mind of having a very competetive tour. Im not going to ask for a squad but instead a starting XV for 2 years time.

1) Cian Healy
2) Dylan Hartley
3) Adam Jones
4) Courtney Lawes
5) Richie Gray
6) Sean O'Brien
7) Sam Warbuton
8) Jamie Heaslip (just)
9) Mike Phillips
10) Jonathon Sexton
11) George North
12) Jamie Roberts
13) Manu Tuilagi
14) Chris Ashton
15) Leigh Halfpenny

In fairness players might burst onto the scene in 2 years but i reckon this is the side that may take the field in 2 years time.

Faletau over Heaslip any day! I'd also put Gethin Jenkins over Cian Healy.
Bradley Davies and Alun Wyn Jones would certainly be contenders for second row.

Well Gethin Jenkins over Cian Healy everytime.

There are surely better options than Mike Phillips. I don't think Hartley is the best hooker currently in the home nations either.

Well Gethin Jenkins over Cian Healy everytime.

There are surely better options than Mike Phillips. I don't think Hartley is the best hooker currently in the home nations either.

Matthew Rees would be my choice over Hartley, but with Rees injured I would only select on current form.
Which scrumhalf has been better than Phillips lately? Youngs hasn't been up to his usual form lately and I don't rate Murray.
Lloyd Williams in 2013? Could happen!

Matthew Rees would be my choice over Hartley, but with Rees injured I would only select on current form.
Which scrumhalf has been better than Phillips lately? Youngs hasn't been up to his usual form lately and I don't rate Murray.
Lloyd Williams in 2013? Could happen!

Phillips has the odd dash of brilliance e.g. scoring tight tries. His service his still woeful. Ohhh how I wish Chris Cusiter would find his old form.

Naming a Lion's XV is pretty damn tough, they bring a big squad so they can play pretty much any game plan. I wouldn't disagree with any of the players you've given though, I just don't think they would start that side. Putting Jamie Roberts, Manu Tuilagi and George North in the back line is probably too much power...

1. Gethin Jenkins/Cian Healey/Alex Corbisiero (Gethin is still an absolute work horse)
2. Matthew Rees/Dylan Hartley/Sean Cronin (If the current Welsh front row is still on form they'd start every time)
3. Adam Jones/Dan Cole?? (I'm not an expert on the front row..)
4. Courtney Lawes/Luke Charteris/Al Kellock
5. Richie Gray/Bradley Davies
6. Sean O'Brien/Tom Croft/Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton/Stephen Ferris/Tom Wood
8. Jamie Heaslip/Toby Faletau/(Richie Vernon)
9. Chris Cusiter/Mike Phillips/Ben Youngs
10. Johnny Sexton/Rhys Priestland/(Toby Flood/James Hook)
11. George North/Tim Visser/Keith Earls
12. Jamie Roberts/(Billy Twelvetrees?)
13. Manu Tuilagi/Jonathan Davies (Would not be surprised if they put one of the 10s in at 12)
14. Halpenny/Ashton
15. Foden/Halfpenny/Kearney

God, people will think I'm Welsh now :lol:

Personal choice would have to be:

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. Jones
4. Lawes
5. Grey
6. O'Brien
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Sexton
13. Roberts
14. Halfpenny
15. Foden

16. Corbisiero
17. Hartley
18. Cole
19. Croft
20. Cusiter
21. Tuilagi
22. Kearney

Tim Visser is an audacious shout!

Think I read somewhere he qualifies for Scotland in time for the next 6 Nations in 2012.

Phillips worked well with Priestland and in turn Roberts, so I would keep that inside back setup for the Lions.
I should have suggested Gav at 12, just to see what would happen. Cipriani at 10 please!

I think he could already play for the Lions taking into account his time in England
I don't think he does as he's not qualified for England - he would have been if he'd have stayed for something like 1 more day, as you have to be living/playing in a country for three years continuously, but he moved to Scotland just before he's qualified

Tim Visser is good enough actually, he is a try scoring machine in the Magners League and has been the leading try scorer two seasons straight playing for a team which is hardly one of the best in the league, he's an awesome finisher

his performance for Barbarians further proved to me that he would be good enough for international level. however competition will be tough in 2013 as Bowe, North, Ashton will all still be there, Earls and Evans could possibly make the squad even Fitzgerald could have regained form by then

surely he's spent one day in England since then on an away trip, or spent a weekend there or something?

and I was thinking if his time combined in England and Scotland could qualify him for the Lions

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a class winger... And he qualified for England but moved to Scotland before he'd ever played for them. Pretty sure he qualifies for Scotland in June.

Any other thoughts on scrum half? If Cusiter finds form it's an easy pick... Outside shout could be Murray if he gets a couple of games under his belt?

Murray or Tavis Knoyle, I reckon

Both likely to get a good number of games under their belt with Mike Philips off to France and Irelands other scrumhalves, bar one or two, are pretty poo

He's a class winger... And he qualified for England but moved to Scotland before he'd ever played for them. Pretty sure he qualifies for Scotland in June.

Looking reasonable for Newcastle, an ND1 outfit and a scottish province doesn't make him class. More like a Zircon encrusted in a dog-shite being called a diamond.

Latest posts