• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 Currie Cup] Team of the tournament

Okay, here goes... I think we should all give our top XV and during this week and when the finals are over, we can vote on the positions. Players picked in this thread, will be options for the poll.

I will start it off:

15. Gio Aplon
14. Anthony Volmink
13. Heimar Williams
12. Robert Ebersohn
11. SP Marais
10. Demetri Catrakilis
9. Sarel Pretorius
8. Jacques Botes
7. Jaco Kriel
6. Deon Fourie
5. Lood de Jager
4. Paul Willemse
3. Ruan Dreyer
2. Scarra Ntubeni
1. Marcel van der Merwe

Can we play guys out of position if it makes sense?

1 Marcel van der Merwe
2 Scarra Ntubeni
3 Ruan Dreyer
4 Paul Willemse
5 Lood de Jager
6 Deon Fourie
7 Jaco Kriel
8 Willie Britz my bolter for the LOLz
9 Sarel Pretorius
10 Demetri Catrakilis
11 Anthony Volmink
12 Damian de Allende
13 Robert Ebersohn
14 SP Marais
15 Gio Aplon

Well, it depends. Placing a lock at scrum half is not really an option but if the player has played the position, it's fine. Robert Ebersohn, Tim Whitehead and Heimar Williams, for instance, have played inside and outside center. Aplon, SP Marais, Odwa Ndungane have played wing and FB.

By the way, stormer, can't you just pick a team yourself rather than copying mine? 13 players in common. Jeez ;)

I'm tempted to say a player should have something like a minimum of two or three stars in a position, so flankers and centres should be in their dedicated position. Second row and wings we can switch around though.

Here's my team:

1. Stephen Kitshoff
2. Scarra Ntubeni
3. Marcel van der Merwe
4. Paul Willemse
5. Lood de Jager
6. Deon Fourie
7. Jean Deysel
8. Willie Britz

9. Cobus Reinach
10. Fred Zeilinga
11. Cheslin Kolbe
12. Damian De Allende
13. William Small-Smith
14. Anthony Volminck
15. Gio Aplon

I know you would disagree with some. and that a guy like William Small-Smith didn't play as many games as others, but I made my selection not only through consistency, but also by entertainment value.

Also, SP Marais is a bit overrated IMHO. for a fullback he tends to make way too many mistakes.

I forgot about Rhule. SP was the only guy where I was going "ehhhhh". I'll stick with what I have and swap out SP to 22 and bring in Rhule to start.

I forgot about Rhule. SP was the only guy where I was going "ehhhhh". I'll stick with what I have and swap out SP to 22 and bring in Rhule to start.

for me Rhule only had one good game really, and that was when he scored 4 tries... He's still a kak defender!

1. Stephen Kitshoff
2. Scarra Ntubeni
3. Marcel van der Merwe
4. Paul Willemse
5. Lood de Jager
6. Deon Fourie
7. Jaco Kriel
8. Willie Britz
9. Sarel Pretorius
10. Fred Zeilinga
11. Cheslin Kolbe
12. Damian De Allende
13. Heimar Williams
14. Anthony Volminck
15. Gio Aplon

For me this was quite a difficult task in the sense that I have been somewhat underwhelmed by the newbies for a large part; no one that stood out like Etzebeth or Goosen did and who could have gone straight to the Bokke after the CC in my mind.

Some of these guys who might have it still have a lot to prove IMO:

I was very excited about Paul Willemse but wonder whether he is... athletic enough to step it up. I also question his impact on the scrums as the Bulls have struggled on occasion. Guys like Kolbe, Volmink, Rhule, Marias and Aplon are probably just too small and some of them still error prone for test rugby where there is less space and opportunity. The scrums seem difficult to judge and even though a guy like Marcel van der Merwe is incrdibly dynamic I'd like to see him with extended chances in SR and see how he fares in his key role. Deon Fourie, one of the better players for 2 years now is probably too small to cut it at the flanks for the Bokke if Brussow is considered too small and he has issues with his core duties as a hooker and then there is the twin peaks ahead of him; Mounts Bismarck and Adriaan. PS and Goosen seems like the best bets but have had limited chances. So too Burger who has impressed off the bench but is getting on in years. Taute seems like a distant memory. Even some of the returning Bokke looked average-ish; Lambie getting schooled in tactical kicking by Catrakilis and Serfontein and JJ Engelbrecht outshone by the departing Rob Ebersohn...

Someone please cheer me up?

Lambo had a nice outing today. Varied it up nicely and not afraid to run. I do like the Cat. He is underrated by most. Another with a good all-around game. Certainly a better option than Jantjies, WP will be better off with him.

SP is developing well, making mistakes but at least he is getting involved. He is far off from the Green shirt right now, but I won't rule 2015 out yet.

Was good to see Frans Steyn back, dammit but he tackles like a monster
Also great see Schalk Burger better and better with every game, with the caption most likely out injured he might even start

Also great see Schalk Burger better and better with every game, with the caption most likely out injured he might even start

yeah. I am a huge fan of Fransie!

He could be our solution to fullback for the EOYT while Taute is still out injured...

agreed and to be honest Taute still needs to convince me that he is Bok qaulity
Aplon at this stage at least makes things happen

agreed and to be honest Taute still needs to convince me that he is Bok qaulity
Aplon at this stage at least makes things happen

LOL, poor Taute. He has had wo years to convince people but unfortunately 1 of them was at the Lions (which does not count IMO) and the other he had 10 minutes of being uninjured. Hopefully he gets his chances with the Stormers next year.

I did not see the Sharks - Cheetahs game. Worth watching? More importantly, has Steyn at least lost a couple of KGs? A serious talent but I question his will ATM. If we could get him back in top shape along with JP Pietersen returning and I hear Jaque Fourie has a new deal that allows him to play tests while based in Japan along with FdP... well thats some serious talent and experience we've got there. The only reservation is what does it say to the local guys if we play all of FdP, Habana and Fury based overseas? Thhen there is Pienaar and Morne Steyn along with Zane Kirchner who are now based in Yurop as well... Juandre Kruger, Guthro Steenkamp, Francois Louw... at some point it just e=gets ridiculous. Have to start culling the foreign-based players IMO.

LOL, poor Taute. He has had wo years to convince people but unfortunately 1 of them was at the Lions (which does not count IMO) and the other he had 10 minutes of being uninjured. Hopefully he gets his chances with the Stormers next year.

I did not see the Sharks - Cheetahs game. Worth watching? More importantly, has Steyn at least lost a couple of KGs? A serious talent but I question his will ATM. If we could get him back in top shape along with JP Pietersen returning and I hear Jaque Fourie has a new deal that allows him to play tests while based in Japan along with FdP... well thats some serious talent and experience we've got there. The only reservation is what does it say to the local guys if we play all of FdP, Habana and Fury based overseas? Thhen there is Pienaar and Morne Steyn along with Zane Kirchner who are now based in Yurop as well... Juandre Kruger, Guthro Steenkamp, Francois Louw... at some point it just e=gets ridiculous. Have to start culling the foreign-based players IMO.

Yes, watch the highlights on SuperSport website

Latest posts