• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] Italy

Melhor Time

Bench Player
Sat November 9 Italy v Australia
Sat November 16 Italy v Fiji
Sat November 23 Italy v Argentina

From what I am aware the FIR is yet to confirm the venues. See here.

The UAR says Italy v Argentina will be in Rome

ESPN Scrum says Italy v Argentina will be in Naples

From a quick search Florence and Turin also pop up for the Wallabies test while Cremona does for Italy v Fiji.

Where are they really being played?

Sat November 9 Italy v Australia
Sat November 16 Italy v Fiji
Sat November 23 Italy v Argentina

From what I am aware the FIR is yet to confirm the venues. See here.

The UAR says Italy v Argentina will be in Rome

ESPN Scrum says Italy v Argentina will be in Naples

From a quick search Florence and Turin also pop up for the Wallabies test while Cremona does for Italy v Fiji.

Where are they really being played?

Tickets for the Italy-Argentina in Rome (Stadio Olimpico) are already on sale.
Torino is the likeliest candidate for the match against Australia.

They get another go against Australia, at home, again. Will definitely be interesting. More of the same it seems, big scrum for Italy, good backs for Aussies...maybe this match will mix it up a bit though.

Fiji may be interesting, but Italy will contain them most probably. Good defense and a scrum will suffice, barring some potential try-scoring flair.

Finally Italy Argentina is clearly the most interesting matchup for me, as Argentina are basically an upgraded version of Italy. Powerful scrum, but with added genuine attacking ability. Good backs...but in Italy still, so it sort of evens it out. Looking forward to this one the most for the Italy tests, and prob. a Top 3 Nov. test overall.

They get another go against Australia, at home, again. Will definitely be interesting. More of the same it seems, big scrum for Italy, good backs for Aussies...maybe this match will mix it up a bit though.

Fiji may be interesting, but Italy will contain them most probably. Good defense and a scrum will suffice, barring some potential try-scoring flair.

Finally Italy Argentina is clearly the most interesting matchup for me, as Argentina are basically an upgraded version of Italy. Powerful scrum, but with added genuine attacking ability. Good backs...but in Italy still, so it sort of evens it out. Looking forward to this one the most for the Italy tests, and prob. a Top 3 Nov. test overall.

Since when did this current Argentina side have a powerful scrum?

They are a different side to Italy these days.

Last edited:
Looking forward to us having another crack at the Australians after we pushed them so close last time around in Firenze. The game with Argentina should(Fingers crossed) be a good one both in terms of the match and the atmosphere. I would say both teams these days....certainly since Brunel came in for us... are less reliant on their scrums and look to put the ball wide through the hands more :)

Please forgive me for my ignorance, I'm a new fan to this beautiful sport, but from my little humble knowledge, I feel as if I wouldn't be surprised if Italy pulled an upset against any of them (Australia,Fiji & Argentina) but at the same time it wouldn't be something I expect. Those are my two cents and mix emotions about them..

I feel as if I wouldn't be surprised if Italy pulled an upset against any of them (Australia,Fiji & Argentina) but at the same time it wouldn't be something I expect.

Italy beating Fiji is rather not an upset considering their current strength, even if there's only one place between them in the rankings.

It was average under the old rules.

"average" as in resisting strong scrums around the world, then yes average. They did fairly well in France in 2012 as the latest I can remember before the rule change.

"average" as in resisting strong scrums around the world, then yes average. They did fairly well in France in 2012 as the latest I can remember before the rule change.

They rarely ever dominated any sides under the old rules, even the weaker ones like Australia or an Adam Jones-less Wales. It was average, even Ireland got the nudge on them last November.

Last edited:
I never bought the whole massive Argie pack thing. Sure they had some good players up front, but I never felt particularly freighted by their scrum.

I never bought the whole massive Argie pack thing. Sure they had some good players up front, but I never felt particularly freighted by their scrum.

surely you've watched them this tournament. And I dunno about the 80's or 90's, but the latest I've seen them recently was when I watched the Boks Pumas 2007 semi-final, and they were having their way and well, and the Boks at that time were no joke up front.

It got it's reputation back from the amateur era and just turned pro era. Reggiardo was one of the finest scrummagers of his time in the late 90's early 00's and Hasan, Roncero, Scelzo and Grau were all highly rated and at one point they had two sets of quality front rows and could afford to lose the likes of Noriega and Castro to other nations.

However it past it's best and started to wane around 2007/08 however people continued to wrongly hype it up and still did so even after some poor performances, Roncero and Scelzo remained in the team long after they had both gone well past their sell by date and depth beyond the 22 is a big problem now.

Put quite simply they thrived in the old scrums from the amateurs/early pros but didn't under the modern rules with increased "hit". The change in their fortunes in this tournament has actually been quite sudden with the rule changes, they weren't doing that last year.

Last edited:
Italy's latest attempt at a poach for their fly half problem ... Scotland U20's Tommaso Allan (http://www.scottishrugby.org/scotland-u20/player/tommaso-allan)

141441919_3016214.jpg

What happened with James Ambrosini.
Combine him and Allan and you have a full Italian... Tommaso Ambrosini

Latest posts