TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
2z70g7k.png

The ITM Cup will kick off this week and here's a quick preview at the 3 most important games.

Thursday when last years Championship winners Counties Manukau host Wellington. The Steelers will be looking for a big win after winning promotion last year after beating Otago in the final 41-16. Big names for Counties include Tim Nanai-Williams, Frank Halai, Mo Schwalger and Bundee Aki. The Wellington side will be looking for quality attack in Tim Bateman, Lima Sopoaga and TJ Perenara. Conrad Smith, Julian Savea and Cory Jane are expected to be representing the All Blacks during the ITM Cup. The last time these two teams played each other, was in 2010. Counties won 25-31 in Wellington.

Premiership winners Canterbury kick off a day later against Taranaki at AMI Stadium in Christchurch. With a lot of players lost due to All Blacks call-up (Carter, Franks, Flynn, Read and Sam Whitelock, to name a few) the scouting system of Canterbury will be tested again. Tom Taylor, Patrick Osbourne and Willi Heinz are definitely players to watch. Taranaki lost Craig Clarke who moved to Connacht in Ireland but there's still enough talent to make something nice out of the season. Andre Taylor, Jarrad Hoeata and Beaden Barrett are all possible All Black call-ups but if they stay put, they are definitely the ones to give Taranaki a fighting chance. Last year, Canterbury lost to Taranaki in New Plymouth (18-9), but won in Christchurch in the semi-finals (51-27 after extra time).

On Saturday, Waikato will host Northland to defend the Ranfurly Shield. The province, who is the biggest contributor to the back-to-back Super Rugby champions the Chiefs, lost two ITM Cup finals in the last 3 years. Ben Tameifuna, Liam Messam and Tawera Kerr-Barlow are possible All Blacks in the side, that is lead by Matt Vant Leven. Northland lost a great player in Rene Ranger, who moved to Montpellier in France. Fijian winger Rupeni Caucaunibuca is an experienced winger of whom a lot will be expected. Last year, Northland beat Waikato 27-29 in Hamilton.

Other matches this week are:

Hawke's Bay vs. Manawatu in Napier
Southland vs. Tasman in Invercargill
Auckland vs. North Harbour in Auckland
Otago vs. Bay of Plenty in Dunedin

Round 1 Fixtures

Counties%20Manukau.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Wellington.png

Growers Stadium, Pukekohe (Thursday, 06:35 GMT / Thursday, 19:35 NZST)

Canterbury.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Taranaki.png

Rugby League Park, Canterbury (Friday, 06:35 GMT / Friday, 19:35 NZST)

Hawkes Bay.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Manawatu.png

McLean Park, Napier (Saturday, 01:35 GMT / Saturday, 14:35 NZST)

Southland.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Tasman.png

Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill (Saturday, 04:35 GMT / Saturday, 17:35 NZST)

Waikato.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Northland.png

Waikato Stadium, Hamilton (Saturday, 06:35 GMT / Saturday, 19:35 NZST)

Auckland.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
North Harbour.png

Eden Park, Auckland (Sunday, 01:35 GMT / Sunday, 14:35 NZST)

Otago.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Bay of Plenty.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin (Sunday, 03:35 GMT / Sunday, 16:35 NZST)

Just a quick couple of corrections
re Northland and Ranger - He will play for (and captain) Northland this year
http://www.taniwha.co.nz/latest-news/itm-cup/itm-cup-season-launch-ranger-captain-squad-announced/

re Counties - I understand Nanai-Williams and Mo Schwalger are likely out for the year with injury (I'm not 100% in the know about these two though, someone might want to clarrify)
http://www.itmcup.co.nz/itmCupnews/22934/Hika-Elliot-signs-for-Counties-Manukau

Otherwise cheers for kicking off the ITM cup thread TRF_Ezequiel.

Also a strong Wellington team has been named for Wellington to play Counties including ABs Coles, Thrush, Shileds, Vito, and Perenara:
Matt Proctor, Joe Hill, Tim Bateman, Shaun Treeby, Sinoti Sinoti, Lima Sopoaga, TJ Perenara, Victor Vito, Adam Hill, Brad Shields, Mark Reddish, Jeremy Thrush (c), Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Dane Coles, John Schwalger. Reserves: Eugene Smith, Tolu Fahamokioa, Taniela Koroi, Kaipati Gaualofa, Faifili Levave, Frae Wilson, Afa Fa'atau.

Will wait to see the team Counties name but you'd imagine this Wellington forward pack will be a bit too much for them.

Last edited:
Also Canterbury are severly depleted for their game against Taranaki. On top of having their ABs out athey are missing Nasi Manu, George Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Robbie Fruean, Johnny McNicholl, Colin Slade, Codie Taylor, Tom Taylor and Corey Flynn are all out. As a result you'd have to say Taranaki will be a big chance of winning firt up!

Canterbury: Jamie Verran, Patrick Osborne, Adam Whitelock, Rob Thompson, Milford Keresoma, Tyler Bleyendaal, Willi Heinz, Jordan Taufua, Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, Luke Katene, Matt Symons, Nepo Laulala, Ben Funnell, Paea Fa'anunu. Reserves: Marcel Cummings-Toone, Sione Faletau, Joel Everson, Jed Brown, Andy Ellis, Richie Mo'unga, Marty Swart

Possible Taranaki squad: Kurt Baker, Waisake Naholo, Andre Taylor, Isaia Tuifua, Seta Tamanivalu, Beaudein Waaka, Chris Smylie, Blade Thomson, Berny Hall, Kane Barrett (captain), James Broadhurst, Jarrad Hoeata, Shane Cleaver, Timo Tutavaha, Carl Carmichael. Reserves, Sione Lea, Ryan Cocker, Nemia Soqeta, Doug Tietjens, Jamison Gibson-Park, Daniel Brooks, Jackson Ormond

Anyone think the $4.5 on offer for Taranaki at the TAB or the +13.5 points they are being given are qay too much?

Last edited:
Also Canterbury are severly depleted for their game against Taranaki. On top of having their ABs out athey are missing Nasi Manu, George Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Robbie Fruean, Johnny McNicholl, Colin Slade, Codie Taylor, Tom Taylor and Corey Flynn are all out. As a result you'd have to say Taranaki will be a big chance of winning firt up!

Canterbury: Jamie Verran, Patrick Osborne, Adam Whitelock, Rob Thompson, Milford Keresoma, Tyler Bleyendaal, Willi Heinz, Jordan Taufua, Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, Luke Katene, Matt Symons, Nepo Laulala, Ben Funnell, Paea Fa'anunu. Reserves: Marcel Cummings-Toone, Sione Faletau, Joel Everson, Jed Brown, Andy Ellis, Richie Mo'unga, Marty Swart

Possible Taranaki squad: Kurt Baker, Waisake Naholo, Andre Taylor, Isaia Tuifua, Seta Tamanivalu, Beaudein Waaka, Chris Smylie, Blade Thomson, Berny Hall, Kane Barrett (captain), James Broadhurst, Jarrad Hoeata, Shane Cleaver, Timo Tutavaha, Carl Carmichael. Reserves, Sione Lea, Ryan Cocker, Nemia Soqeta, Doug Tietjens, Jamison Gibson-Park, Daniel Brooks, Jackson Ormond

Canterbury at it again stealing Manawatu players.. Rob Thompson is from Palmerston North, his brother Isaac played a few games for the turbos in past seasons. So that makes it 4 Manawatu guys in their starting line-up, plus Baker and Taylor in 'Naki. Manawatu would be great if we could hang onto the guys produced in the region.

Just a quick couple of corrections
re Northland and Ranger - He will play for (and captain) Northland this year
http://www.taniwha.co.nz/latest-news/itm-cup/itm-cup-season-launch-ranger-captain-squad-announced/

re Counties - I understand Nanai-Williams and Mo Schwalger are likely out for the year with injury (I'm not 100% in the know about these two though, someone might want to clarrify)
http://www.itmcup.co.nz/itmCupnews/22934/Hika-Elliot-signs-for-Counties-Manukau

Otherwise cheers for kicking off the ITM cup thread TRF_Ezequiel.

Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of the ITM Cup and don't have all the inside info. This was all info I gathered online while writing. If anyone would like to help me write these previews for the next 9 rounds, just send me a PM

Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of the ITM Cup and don't have all the inside info. This was all info I gathered online while writing. If anyone would like to help me write these previews for the next 9 rounds, just send me a PM

Sorry bro, I hope you didn't think I was having a go at you. I've been checking the forum regulalry in the hope that someone would get the ITM cup kick started and was very greatful you did. I would offer to help but don't think I would be that reliable. For what it is worth I will chuck my 2 cents worth in when ever I can. Rene captaining the Northland side is HUGE. I;m really excited to see him play out a last season in NZ (It's a real shame he is leaving because the ABs could have done with him, both as a winger and Centre option). Steelers losing Nanai-Williams (potentially) for the season is a massive loss as well. They have good cover for Schwalger though with Hika Elliot reported to be coming into the side from Round 2.

The reality with the ITM cup is info has always been bloody hard to come by ever since Super Rugby took over and much fewer people cared about the provincial stuff. I've found you have to spend a ridiculas amount of time researching the games by going to all the individual team web sites. No wonder the ITM cup is struggling!

Sorry again if I cam across poorly with my comments re your original post.

Counties Team to play Wellington Tonight:
1. Simon Lemalu 2. Suliasi Taufalele 3. Attila Va'a * 4. Ronald Raaymakers 5. Sikeli Nabou 6. Adam Cathcart 7. Maama Vaipulu 8. Fritz Lee ©
9. Augustine Pulu 10. Baden Kerr 11. Toni Pulu 12. Bundee Aki 13. Rey Lee-Lo 14. Ahsee Tuala 15. Sherwin Stowers
16. Mark Price 17. Sam Aiono* 18. Ryan Wilson* 19. Sean Reidy 20. Kane Hancy 21. Sam Vaka* 22. Frank Halai

Again I just coant imagine how the Counties forward pack will match up against an AB studded Wellington pack tonight!

Nah, no problem. Was just giving my 2 cents as well haha. I like writing these little appetizers, but a lot of research is required. Funnily enough, I get more info from the Wiki pages than from the actual NZRU- or team-websites.

Lineups for the Ranfurly Shield match between Waikato and Northland:

Waikato
Toby Smith, Brayden Mitchell, Paul Alo-Emile, Brian Alainu'uese, Sam Kilgour, Rory Grice, Jack Lam, Adam Burn, Kylem O'Donnell, Sam Christie, Joe Webber, Jackson Willison (c), Save Tokula, Tim Mikkelson, Trent Renata

Vance Elliot, Latu Talakai, Chris Middleton, Jono Armstrong, Mick Snowden, Joe Perawiti, Semisi Masirewa

Northland
Bronson Murray, Ross Wright, Scott Vessey, Tom Murday, Bryce Williams, Dan Pryor, Jack Ram, Jake Paringnatai, Sonatane Takula, Ben Seymour, Mateo Malupo, Derek Carpenter, Rene Ranger (c), Whiria Meltzer, Mathew Wright

Robbie Abel, Justin Davies, Owen Pihema, William Whetton, Mac Sykes, Daniel Hawkins, Warren Dunn

I'm particular interested in how Alainu'uese does for Waikato. The Chiefs need a new young lock for next season and I'm hoping either this guy or Nick Ross, another Waikato squad member, will step up this season. They both ex-U20 players.

Waikato should be too strong for Northland, particularly in the forwards. There are some explosive runners on display from both sides: Ranger, Webber, Tokula.

Also, worth noting that the two number 7's are Jack Lam and Jack Ram ;)

Lineups for the Ranfurly Shield match between Waikato and Northland:

I'm particular interested in how Alainu'uese does for Waikato. The Chiefs need a new young lock for next season and I'm hoping either this guy or Nick Ross, another Waikato squad member, will step up this season. They both ex-U20 players.

Waikato should be too strong for Northland, particularly in the forwards. There are some explosive runners on display from both sides: Ranger, Webber, Tokula.

Also, worth noting that the two number 7's are Jack Lam and Jack Ram ;)

Admittedly I am not very familiar with many of the names in each team BUT from what I've seen from pre-saeson and by the looks of the two teams I think Waikato will have their work cut out for them in this first shield defence. I'm not saying Northland will win, but I expect them to push Waikato for a good 60 min at least! Also note Northalnd beat Waikato last season in round 3 29 - 27!

Counties Team to play Wellington Tonight:
1. Simon Lemalu 2. Suliasi Taufalele 3. Attila Va'a * 4. Ronald Raaymakers 5. Sikeli Nabou 6. Adam Cathcart 7. Maama Vaipulu 8. Fritz Lee ©
9. Augustine Pulu 10. Baden Kerr 11. Toni Pulu 12. Bundee Aki 13. Rey Lee-Lo 14. Ahsee Tuala 15. Sherwin Stowers
16. Mark Price 17. Sam Aiono* 18. Ryan Wilson* 19. Sean Reidy 20. Kane Hancy 21. Sam Vaka* 22. Frank Halai

Again I just coant imagine how the Counties forward pack will match up against an AB studded Wellington pack tonight!

Wellington look very impressive in the first half - up 29 - 9. Definitely a team to watch this year if they can keep their ABs on the park. Vito, Perenara, Coles all standouts so far and their backs are getting great ball and have been explosive! This one could easily blow out!

Wellington destroyed Counties, very pleasing. Number of Wellington players having big games, notably Toomaga-Allen Vito, Coles, Schwalger and Bateman. Some of the debutants looked very good as well.

Wellington destroyed Counties, very pleasing. Number of Wellington players having big games, notably Toomaga-Allen Vito, Coles, Schwalger and Bateman. Some of the debutants looked very good as well.

Stunning 80 minutes from Wellington. I think you could make a case for the entire starting line up and even a couple of the reserves in terms of stand out performances. Very very impressive, particularly for the first outing of the season.

Final score 55-16, a huge win for Wellington. I hope Counties Manukau can bounce back as I enjoyed watching them last year. I could only listen to the game on radio, but it seemed that no matter where they were on the field, Wellington just sliced the Counties defense wide open whenever they had the ball.

From the Auckland vs. North Harbour game, seems a bit silly to have a long-arm penalty against the replacement halfback for incorrect feed to the scrum because the starting halfback had done it already. That's almost like giving a yellow card to the replacement flanker because number 7 was already warned for hands in the ruck.

Last edited:
Bad night for Southland, bullied off the ball and offered so so little in attack. Hopefully see a vast improvement when Robbie Robinson gets back.
Am I wrong in thinking that this year the last place championship team are being relegated to the Heartland?

The shield match was quality. I can see why Northern Hemisphere teams get players straight from the ITM. Great game.

Bad night for Southland, bullied off the ball and offered so so little in attack. Hopefully see a vast improvement when Robbie Robinson gets back.
Am I wrong in thinking that this year the last place championship team are being relegated to the Heartland?

The shield match was quality. I can see why Northern Hemisphere teams get players straight from the ITM. Great game.

Haven't heard anything like that, it would be ridiculious if it were the case anyway. Hypothetically it would mean you'd drop a team like Manawatu who have two All Blacks and more Super Rugby and NZ 7's players, for a team like Wanganui which wouldn't really have the resources to compete.

Latest posts