TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
2z70g7k.png

One week in, we've seen some nice results last week and this week will again include some mouthwatering encounters.

Waikato successfully defended the Ranfurly Shield last week by beating Northland and this week, they will try the same when Otago is visiting. With both teams getting a win in the first week, momentum will be key for this game. TJ Ioane and Peter Breen scored tries for Otago in the 32-29 win over Bay of Plenty. Waikato beat Northland 31-22 with 3 tries: Rory Grice, Joe Webber and Toby Smith. These two teams last met in 2011 when Waikato won 25-10 in Hamilton.

The two teams most far apart will also be battling each other. The Southland makes the trip from Invercargill all thw way up north to Whangarei. Unlike the Waikato-Otago game, these two teams lost in the first round. Southland failed to score a single try against Tasman in week 1, losing 15-25 while Northland failed to take the Ranfurly Shield in Waikato. Last year, both teams met up in Invercargill with Southland winning 16-12.

One match most people will be looking forward to is the Battle of the Bays. Baypark Stadium in Tauranga is the venue when Bay of Plenty and Hawke's Bay will try to be the better team. Last year, this was the most exciting match of the season. The Magpies won 42-41 with a last-minute try by Ihaia West while Gillies Kaka scored a hat-trick. Hawke's Bay acquired good veteran players with Super Rugby experience in Ged Robinson, Ben Franks and Alby Mathewson. Last week they beat Manawatu 45-18, scoring 7 tries. The hosts, Bay of Plenty, lost to Otago in the first week. The game was going back and forth with both getting enough chances to win the game, but it was Hayden Parker who slotted the deciding penalty with 4 minutes to go.

Other matches this week are:

North Harbour vs. Counties Manukau in Albany
Taranaki vs. Wellington in New Plymouth
Tasman vs. Canterbury in Blenhelm
Manawatu vs. Auckland in Palmerston North

Round 2 Fixtures

North Harbour.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Counties Manukau.png

North Harbour Stadium, Albany (Thursday, 06:35 GMT / Thursday, 19:35 NZST)

Taranaki.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Wellington.png

Yarrow Stadium, New Plymouth (Friday, 06:05 GMT / Friday, 19:05 NZST)

Waikato.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Otago.png

Waikato Stadium, Hamilton (Friday, 07:05 GMT / Saturday, 20:05 NZST)

Tasman.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Canterbury.png

Landsdowne Park, Blenhelm (Saturday, 01:35 GMT / Saturday, 14:35 NZST)

Northland.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Southland.png

Toll Stadium, Whangarei (Saturday, 03:35 GMT / Saturday, 16:35 NZST)

Bay of Plenty.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Hawkes Bay.png

Baypark Stadium, Tauranga (Sunday, 01:35 GMT / Sunday, 14:35 NZST)

Manawatu.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Auckland.png

Arena Manawatu, Palerston North (Sunday, 03:35 GMT / Sunday, 16:35 NZST)

With Slade, Taylor, L Whitelock, Coltman and Shields all being brough into the AB camp Canterbury in particular could be further depleted significantly - depends how many of these guys get released to play ITM cup. Shields would be a blow to Wellington and I suspect Coltman will be released to play for Otago.

Early hunches on this weekes games subject to team announcements:

Waikato to pip Otago but I sense an upset could be on the cards here
Northland to beat Southland
HB will be too much for BOP
Counties Manukau too strong for Harbour
Wellington will tear appart Taranaki
Tasman is my upset pick to beat Canterbury (subject to team announcements though) EDIT - Change of heart - taking Canterbury, they should be too strong!
Manawatu to get drilled by Auckland

Last edited:
Game 1 teams named:
A few changes for NH - Parsons out replaced by Niuia at hooker, Bef Afeaki comes in at prop and will captain the side. Brandon Nansen replaces Josh Olsen at lock. Big changes in the loosies with Scott Uren and Leigh Thompson starting. Bryn Hall starts at halfback with Helleur to the bench, and Nafi Tuitavake starts on the wing.

North Harbour Team: Greg Pleasants Tate, Raymond Niuia, Ben Afeaki - Captain, Chris Smith, Brandon Nansen, Jordan Manihera, Scott Uren, Leigh Thompson, Bryn Hall, Jon Elrick, David Raikuna, Tua Saseve, Pita Ahki, Nafi Tuitavake, Codey Rei,
Replacements: Adrian Smith, Alex Wooton, Irwin Finau, Malakai Ravulo/Zak Judge, Brenton Helleur, James Semple, Tevita Li

6 changes to the Counties team - New front row with prop Sam Aiono starting alongside hooker Hika Elliot and prop Jarrod Firth. Jimmy Tupou will start at lock, midfield pairing will be Rey Lee-Lo and Sam Vaka with Frank Halai on the starting on the wing. Simon Lemalu and Bundee Aki move to the pine joined by potential ITM Cup new caps, hooker Michael Lea and Samoan international Ki Anufe.

Counties Manukau: 15 Sherwin Stowers, 14 Ahsee Tuala, 13 Sam Vaka, 12 Rey Lee-Lo, 11 Frank Halai, 10 Baden Kerr, 9 Augustine Pulu 8 Fritz Lee (c), 7 Maama Vaipulu, 6 Adam Cathcart, 5 Jimmy Tupou, 4 Ronald Raaymakers, 3 Jarrod Firth, 2 Hika Elliot, 1 Sam Aiono.
Replacements: 16 Michael Lea, 17 Simon Lemalu, 18 Ryan Wilson, 19 Sean Reidy, 20 Kane Hancy, 21 Ki Anufe, 22 Bundee Aki.

I didnt get to watch all of the NH game but did watch Counties get mauled by Wellington. Hard to pick a winner as a result but my sense is that Counties were beaten by a very good Wellington team and will bounce back. On paper they have a better side than NH and I think the scoreboard in the NH Auck game flattered NH as for the first 60min they were well outplayed.

Counties by 10 for me!

Taranaki has named their team to play Wellington with several changes as well from the team that got drilled by Canterbury (B).

Beaudein Waaka has been benched with Daniel Brooks starting. Chiefs hooker Rhys Marshall starts in place of Timo Tutavaha. Ope Peleseuma will debut at second five-eighth, and Highlanders flanker Doug Tietjens starts with Berny Hall out with injury.

TARANAKI: Kurt Baker, Jackson Ormond, Andre Taylor, Ope Peleseuma, Waisake Naholo, Daniel Brooks, Chris Smylie, Blade Thomson, Doug Tietjens, Kane Barrett (captain), James Broadhurst, Jarrad Hoeata, Shane Cleaver, Rhys Marshall, Carl Carmichael. Reserves: Timo Tutavaha, Sione Lea, Nemia Soqeta, Mitchell Crosswell, Jamison Gibson-Park, Beaudein Waaka, Seta Tamanivalu

Wellingotn team TBC but obviously they will at the least be without Coles and Thrush from last weeks team which will lesson their tight five significantly. Should be too strong for Taranaki though...

EDIT: Wellington team named with several changes. Of note Ngatai and Fillipo return after their post Super Rugby break, TJ Perenara, Thrush and Coles are all out, while Ardie Savea, Reggie Goodes, and Eric Sione return from injury. Proctor switches to wing so Ngatai can slot in at fullback and Sinoti Sinoti drops out altogether (I presume through the injury he sustained last week). Shields drops to the bench replaced by Levave and Matu'u replaces Coles at hooker. A solid Wellington team given the disruptions caused by AB duty.

Wellington Lions:
Charlie Ngatai, Matt Proctor, Tim Bateman, Shaun Treeby, Joe Hill, Lima Sopoaga, Frae Wilson, Victor Vito (c), Adam Hill, Faifili Levave, Mark Reddish, Ross Filipo, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Motu Matu'u, John Schwalger. Bench: Reggie Goodes, Eric Sione, Kaipati Gaualofa, Brad Shields, Ardie Savea, Tomasi Palu, Afa Fa'atau

Wellington to win convincingly again!

Last edited:
Canterbury have named their side to play Tasman, the significant changes are Crotty being released by the ABs and he slots into the 12 Jersey and George Whitelock replacing brother Luke who was called up to the AB squad. Ellis and Heinz rotate as anticipated.

Canterbury: Jamie Verran, Patrick Osborne, Adam Whitelock, Ryan Crotty, Milford Keresoma, Tyler Blyendaal, Andy Ellis, Jordan Taufua, Matt Todd, George Whitelock (c), Luke Katene, Matt Symons, Nepo Laulala, Ben Funnell, Joe Moody. Reserves: Marcel Cummings-Toone, Paea Fa'anunu, Joel Everson, Jed Brown, Willi Heinz, Richie Mo'unga, Rob Thompson

Tasman: 1. Tim Perry, 2. Quentin MacDonald, 3. Siua Halanukonuka, 4. Alex Ainley, 5. Joe Wheeler, 6. Liam Squire, 7. Shane Christie, 8. Tevita Koloamatangi, 9. Mark Swanepoel, 10. Hayden Cripps, 11. James Lowe, 12. Andrew Symons, 13. Kieron Fonotia, 14. Bryce Heem, 15. Tom Marshall. Subs: 16. Francis Smith, 17. Sila Puafisi, 18. Tevita Cavubati, 19. George Stowers, 20. Kaide Whiting, 21. Billy Guyton, 22. Mitchell Scott.

Canterbury should be too good - initially thought Tasman might be able to take advantage of the number of 1st pick Cantabs out but Canterbury should have too much class.

Last edited:
they need to stop Toby Smith at the Airport when he tries to leave and join the Rebels. Just take his passport off him. Simple as that.

As expected Counties too much for NH - good comeback from the boys after the bad loss to Wellington in Rnd 1. Counties 44 North Harbour 14.

A lot of impressive players on the field for Counties tonight but Halai, Pulu, Cathcart, Kerr, Lee-Lo, Raaymakers and Elliot shone for me!

Auckland team named - with 4 changes Pauliasi Manu and Ofa Tu'ungafasi come into the front row, flanker Luke Braid drops to the bench with Sean Polwart starting, while Jack Whetton could make his Auckland debut off the bench.

Auckland: Pauliasi Manu, Tom McCartney, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Liaki Moli, Patrick Tuipulotu, Joe Edwards, Sean Polwart, Peter Saili, Piri Weepu, Simon Hickey, Tenina Sauileoge, Hadleigh Parkes – captain, Malakai Fekitoa, George Moala, Lolagi Visinia
Reserves: Nathan Vella, Sam Prattley, Jack Whetton, Luke Braid, Wayne Ngaluafe, Vince Aso, Saleaula Silipa

No changes to Manawatu
Manawatu:
1. Hubert Buydens, 2. Rob Foreman, 3. Ma'afu Fia, 4. Fraser Stone, 5. Michael Fitzgerald, 6. Nick Crosswell, 7. Callum Gibbins, 8. Antonio Kirikiri, 9. Nic Stirkazer, 10. Jade Te Rure, 11. Tomasi Cama, 12. Tevita Taufu'i, 13. Jason Emery, 14. Nehe Milner-Skudder, 15. Lewis Marshall.
Reserves: 16. Bryn Templeman, 17. Chris Eve, 18. Hamish Gosling, 19. Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, 20. Papa Wharewera, 21. Nate George, 22. Newton Tudreu.

Auckland should be too strong. Auckland by 20+

Copy and Paste for the Shield game tonight:
Waikato welcome back captain Matt Vant Leven after the No.8's rest following the Super Rugby final. He is joined by fellow Chiefs team-mate Ben Tameifuna, who will start from the bench. Centre Save Tokula will be hoping Friday's game will be one to remember in what is his 50th appearance in the Waikato colours. For Otago, promising outside back Buxton Popoali'i is unavailable after straining a hamstring in Otago's 32-29 win over Bay of Plenty. Kieran Moffatt could also miss the match due to a calf injury. He has pencilled in to start at right wing, with Matt Faddes coming in if the wing is deemed unfit.

TEAMS:

Waikato:
1. Toby Smith, 2. Brayden Mitchell, 3. Paul-Alo Emile, 4. Brian Alainu'uese, 5. Sam Kilgour, 6. Rory Grice, 7. Jack Lam, 8. Matt Vant Leven, 9. Kylem O'Donnell, 10. Sam Christie, 11. Joe Webber, 12. Jackson Willison, 13. Save Tokula, 14. Tim Mikkelson, 15. Trent Renata.
Substitutes: 16. Vance Elliott, 17. Ben Tameifuna, 18. Chris Middleton, 19. Jono Armstrong, 20 Mick Snowden, 21. Wharenui Hawera, 22. Semisi Masirewa.
Otago:
1. Craig Millar, 2. Liam Coltman, 3. Scott Manson, 4. Tom Donnelly, 5. Tom Franklin, 6. Gareth Evans, 7. Lee Allan, 8. Paul Grant (c), 9. Fumiaki Tanaka, 10. Hayden Parker, 11. Fa'aisu Fuatai, 12. Peter Breen, 13. Michael Collins, 14. Kieran Moffat/Matt Faddes, 15. Tony Ensor.
Substitutes: 16. Sam Anderson-Heather, 17. Tama Tuirirangi, 18. Charlie O'Connell, 19. TJ Ioane, 20. Willis Scott, 21. Josh Renton, 22. Jayden Spence.

I didn't get to see a great deal of either of these teams in the first round so am struggling to pick a winner. I think as upset is a good chance and maybe the Otago boys will take the shield home but given my uncertainty I am going to lean in favour of Waikato. The home team in a shield match is always tough to beat and the return of a couple of Super Rugby players in Matt Vant Leven and Tameifuna along with seasoned guys like Jack Lam, Jackson Wilison, Save Tokula, and Tim Mikkelson should be enough to get them home...

Thoughts anyone??

Otago win the shield for the first time since 1957!

Unbelievable! Lets put some context on this.

The last time Otago Held the Ranfurly Shield was 28 September 1957 when they lost it to Taranaki...

► Sputnik had not yet been launched into orbit.
► Dwight D. Eisenhower was President of the USA, Harold McMillan was PM of England, Keith Holyoake PM of NZ, Robert Menzies PM of Australia
► Colin Meads and Wilson Whineray made their test debuts against Australia at the SCG.
► Pelé made his football debut for Brazil
► Lew Hoad (Australia) won the Wimbledon Men's Singles ***le
► Juan Manuel Fangio (Argentina) won the Formula 1 driver's championship, for the fifth and last time; a record which stood for 46 years until beaten by Michael Schumacher
► Bernstein & Sondheim's now famous musical "West Side Story" opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC, and Broadway
► With great fanfare, the Ford Motor Company introduces the Edsel. The car turned out to be a complete lemon!!

and finally, I had just turned two years old; most of you reading this weren't even born yet!

1957... The year my dad was born. Shows you how long ago this is. I think the Ranfurly Shield is one of the most prestigious trophies in rugby world wide. The whole setup of the Shield makes it so unique.

Unbelievable! Lets put some context on this.

The last time Otago Held the Ranfurly Shield was 28 September 1957 when they lost it to Taranaki...

► Sputnik had not yet been launched into orbit.
► Dwight D. Eisenhower was President of the USA, Harold McMillan was PM of England, Keith Holyoake PM of NZ, Robert Menzies PM of Australia
► Colin Meads and Wilson Whineray made their test debuts against Australia at the SCG.
► Pelé made his football debut for Brazil
► Lew Hoad (Australia) won the Wimbledon Men's Singles ***le
► Juan Manuel Fangio (Argentina) won the Formula 1 driver's championship, for the fifth and last time; a record which stood for 46 years until beaten by Michael Schumacher
► Bernstein & Sondheim's now famous musical "West Side Story" opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC, and Broadway
► With great fanfare, the Ford Motor Company introduces the Edsel. The car turned out to be a complete lemon!!

and finally, I had just turned two years old; most of you reading this weren't even born yet!
Oldie! Not only had most of TRF not been born, but I would hazard a guess and say that most parents of TRF members weren't even around!

Congratulations to Jabby and Dingo Darwin.

Anyone know anything about Taranaki wing Frazier Climo?
Signed for the Arsecelts.

Congrats to Otago for winning it, pity we lost it. I hope we can still regain it.

shield game was a good one. Some big performances on both sides. Vant Leven and Mikkleson had massive games for waikato. Parker had an awesome first half and that otago #6 was crazy around the breakdown.

but the big performance as TJ Ione (sp) a bench impact specalist and the team effort on defense

That said waikatos attack was all kinda individual efforts and not really creative, just basic spin it it hit it up.

sorry i'm a bit late to the party...had to sober up for work!

Can i get a collective TRF prayer that we can /get Bender (smith) back for the defense?

Latest posts