• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 Junior World Championship

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Only 6 weeks or so to go until the start of the 2013 Junior World Championship in France. I'm excited, as this tournament usually produces some top class rugby, and we get a chance to see some stars of the future. How do people see their teams chances, and who are players we should watch out for?

New Zealand have just recently named their squad for the tournament:

Forwards: Donald Brighouse (Wellington), Epalahame Faiva (Waikato), Nick Grogan (Manawatu), Alexander Hodgman (Canterbury), Sione Mafileo (North Harbour), Kalafi Pongi (Counties Manukau), Boyd Wiggins (North Harbour), Scott Barrett (Canterbury), Jackson Hemopo (Otago), Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland), Christopher Vui (Auckland), Adam Burn (Waikato), Joseph Edwards (Auckland), Jordan Manihera (North Harbour), Hadleigh May (Otago), Ardie Savea (Wellington).

Backs: Tayler Adams (Southland), Sheridan Rangihuna (Hawke's Bay), Simon Hickey (Auckland), Jade Te Rure (Manawatu), Michael Collins (Otago), Jason Emery (Manawatu), Fa'asiu Fuatai (Otago), Teihorangi Walden (Otago), Penikolo Latu (Hawke's Bay), Leroy Van Dam (Auckland), Lolagi Visinia (Auckland), Joseph Webber (Waikato).

It certainly looks a much stronger side than last season on paper, especially considering Ardie Savea and Jason Emery have been released from Super Rugby duties to attend the tournament. I expect both players to be absolute superstars at this level: Savea is a freak, while Emery was probably our only standout player last season, and should only be better for having another season of top level rugby experience.

Others to watch out for in the forwards are locks Jackson Hemopo and Patrick Tuipolotu, who are big physical players who both have some experience at ITM Cup level. The loose-forwards looks strong too, with big Joe Edwards very impressive for Auckland last season (some were calling for him to be given a spot in the Blues this season), Adam Burn is very highly rated, while Hadleigh May has been very impressive in Dunedin club rugby.

Tyler Adams is a good young halfback, and Simon Hickey is a very promising first-five (though is more a kicking 10 than a running 10). I'm not sure about the quality of their backups though. Collins and Emery will form a very strong midfield, while there is plenty of pace and power out-wide. Webber impressed for Waikato last season and has played a bit of 7's for NZ, Latu showed some great speed and power for Hawkes Bay, Visinia impressed in his cameo's for Auckland (and is a big guy!), and while I know nothing about Van Dam he is sure to be good with a name like that :)

Last edited:
Was a tad suprise Tauasosi Tuimavave wasn't looked at after his 50 point effort against Rimutaka. He's still 18 mind and has been pretty unlucky with injuries, so plenty of time - but he's looked good for Poneke when he's played. Am also a fan of Nick Grigg for Petone- was hoping he may be another bolter.

Overall happy with the squad though. It certainly does look better than last years - still probably not quite as good as 2009, 2010 and 2011. Will be happy to see Ardie Savea and Jason Emery there, though wondering why Bryn Hall or Tj Peranara weren't selected seeing as the eligability cut off is usually at the start of the year.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this.

Our side should be much stronger than the 6N with a number of guys coming back from injry like Ed and Adam Byrne (not related though Ed's brother Bryan is a hooker) and Dan Leavy. It's a decently young side with a good few in their first year out of school. To me it's a good mobile team with some very dangerous backs. Unfortunately the set piece seems very weak particulary the lineout andthere isn't really a set 10 imo with most being more 12s than 10's. Also unfortunately two of our best players Stuart Olding and Robbie Henshaw will quite possibly be in N.A. with the senior squad.

Here's one of Olding's tries from this year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A1hlTNMJFgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I'd love to see him vs Emery.

For those interested here's a blog about 4 players one from each province to look out for if they go.

http://dementedmole.com/2013/04/15/4-up-2013/

Also an interesting battle at loosehead with two very mobile players in Ed Byrne and Peter Dooley. Though I think Dooley may be able to play a bit at tighthead?

Here's a try Dooley scored in a recent u21 final.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jRGhoNnWgts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Start at 23 seconds.

Last edited:
Was a tad suprise Tauasosi Tuimavave wasn't looked at after his 50 point effort against Rimutaka. He's still 18 mind and has been pretty unlucky with injuries, so plenty of time - but he's looked good for Poneke when he's played. Am also a fan of Nick Grigg for Petone- was hoping he may be another bolter.

Overall happy with the squad though. It certainly does look better than last years - still probably not quite as good as 2009, 2010 and 2011. Will be happy to see Ardie Savea and Jason Emery there, though wondering why Bryn Hall or Tj Peranara weren't selected seeing as the eligability cut off is usually at the start of the year.

I'm sure Tuimavave will come into contention next season, as the NZRFU still have the policy that they will only select players in their final year of eligibility unless under-exceptional circumstances (e.g. there is a position where there is no 'older' players up to the perceived standard).

The age cut-off is the 1st of January - players need to be under 20 at the start of the current year. Therefore players need to be born in 1993 or later to be eligible for this tournament. Both Perenara and Hall were born at the start of 1992 (so are already 21) and hence in-eligible for this tournament.

Really looking forward to this.

Our side should be much stronger than the 6N with a number of guys coming back from injry like Ed and Adam Byrne (not related though Ed's brother Bryan is a hooker) and Dan Leavy. It's a decently young side with a good few in their first year out of school. To me it's a good mobile team with some very dangerous backs. Unfortunately the set piece seems very weak particulary the lineout andthere isn't really a set 10 imo with most being more 12s than 10's. Also unfortunately two of our best players Stuart Olding and Robbie Henshaw will quite possibly be in N.A. with the senior squad.

Here's one of Olding's tries from this year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A1hlTNMJFgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I'd love to see him vs Emery.

For those interested here's a blog about 4 players one from each province to look out for if they go.

http://dementedmole.com/2013/04/15/4-up-2013/

Also an interesting battle at loosehead with two very mobile players in Ed Byrne and Peter Dooley. Though I think Dooley may be able to play a bit at tighthead?

Here's a try Dooley scored in a recent u21 final.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jRGhoNnWgts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Start at 23 seconds.

Sounds like Ireland should have a pretty handy side. The problem for Ireland is that they have both New Zealand and Australia in their pool, hence progressing to the semi-finals could prove very difficult!

Last edited:
Two old boys from my school in that squad - pretty happy with that effort!

I didn't realise Emery was still eligible. Do you think he would've been released if the Highlanders were in the top six?

Two old boys from my school in that squad - pretty happy with that effort!

I didn't realise Emery was still eligible. Do you think he would've been released if the Highlanders were in the top six?

I don't think it would have mattered to much, as it is played during the June International window (hence neither Savea nor Emery will miss any Super Rugby).

I don't think it would have mattered to much, as it is played during the June International window (hence neither Savea nor Emery will miss any Super Rugby).

Ah I wasn't aware. Guess Ellison will be back soon anyway, so they can afford another injury ;)

Jade Te Rure has apparently impressed in club rugby in Manawatu. I'm surprised Jamie Booth isn't in there at halfback, although maybe he has another year to go.

NickD; Nick Griggs must surely be older than 20? He's been playing for Petone for like 3 seasons hasn't he? Very handy player though no doubt.

Jade Te Rure has apparently impressed in club rugby in Manawatu. I'm surprised Jamie Booth isn't in there at halfback, although maybe he has another year to go.

NickD; Nick Griggs must surely be older than 20? He's been playing for Petone for like 3 seasons hasn't he? Very handy player though no doubt.

Yeah my mistake - turned 20 in Septamber 2012 (so he is in fact 20). Always thought of him as younger (probably cause I used to play with and against him and he was a year or so younger than me - guess I forget I'm getting older...).

Wales have a good team, and are really just are a few nasty forwards in the tight-five off having a strong chance this year. Especially if Patchell goes, although chances are he'll be in Japan, playing for the full side.

SA Under-20 squad:

Andrew Beerwinkel - Blue Bulls - Prop
Marne Coetzee - KwaZulu-Natal - Prop
Aidon Davis - EP Kings - Number 8
Luan de Bruin - Free State - Prop
Jacques du Plessis - Blue Bulls - Lock
Robert du Preez - KwaZulu-Natal - Flyhalf
Ockert du Toit - Free State - Hooker
Justin Geduld - SARU contracted - Centre
Irne Herbst - Blue Bulls - Lock
Jannes Kirsten - Blue Bulls - Lock
Cheslin Kolbe - Western Province - Fullback
Sylvian Mahuza - Leopards - Fullback
Devon Martinus - Golden Lions - Prop
Luther Obi - Leopards - Wing
Sergeal Petersen - EP Kings - Wing
Handre Pollard - Blue Bulls - Flyhalf
Seabelo Senatla - SARU contracted - Wing
Jan Serfontein - Blue Bulls - Centre
Sithembiso Sithole - Western Province - Prop
Kwagga Smith - Golden Lions - Flank
Roelof Smit - Blue Bulls - Flank
Ruan Steenkamp - Blue Bulls - Flank
Dries Swanepoel - Blue Bulls - Centre
Stefan Ungerer - KwaZulu-Natal - Scrumhalf
Hanco Venter - KwaZulu-Natal - Scrumhalf
Dennis Visser - Blue Bulls - Lock
Michael Willemse - Western Province - Hooker
Percy Williams - Golden Lions - Scrumhalf

Sounds like Ireland should have a pretty handy side. The problem for Ireland is that they have both New Zealand and Australia in their pool, hence progressing to the semi-finals could prove very difficult!

I'm not sure what to expect really. With the setpiece weakness our backs won't be able to do much. Also of course Aus and N.Z. are going to be in all likelihood better than us. Luckily the fixtures are a bit kinder than last year where we had S.A. first and then England who rested most of their team against Italy. This year it's Aus-Fiji-New Zealand. We're also probably also not as good as last year and are very hard to predict we could come anywhere from 4th to 2nd.

I'm not sure what to expect really. With the setpiece weakness our backs won't be able to do much. Also of course Aus and N.Z. are going to be in all likelihood better than us. Luckily the fixtures are a bit kinder than last year where we had S.A. first and then England who rested most of their team against Italy. This year it's Aus-Fiji-New Zealand. We're also probably also not as good as last year and are very hard to predict we could come anywhere from 4th to 2nd.

Is Hanrahan too old now? He was the Irish player that impressed me the most last year...

Is Hanrahan too old now? He was the Irish player that impressed me the most last year...

Yeah this is a younger newer team from the team that beat the boks I think Olding is the only starter still eligble.

scrum_zpse5960a57.gif

My favorite moment from last year. Kiwi scrum owned!

I'm not sure what to expect from Ireland. The backline is dangerous but the pack are weak enough. There'll be players coming back from injury etc and maybe Ruddock can uncover a few new players.

Wales have a good team, and are really just are a few nasty forwards in the tight-five off having a strong chance this year. Especially if Patchell goes, although chances are he'll be in Japan, playing for the full side.

I'd personally prefer Patchell to play for the U20's. If he doesn't go though, Sam Davies is a tidy player in the mould of Biggar.

I'm expecting the Welsh side to be pushing for the Semi-final place again, there's some real quality players there, although I agree they might be missing a gnarly forward or two.

Wales' Junior World Championship Squad 2013:

Forwards: Ellis Jenkins (capt, Blues / Cardiff), Nicky Smith (Ospreys / Swansea), Gareth Thomas (Scarlets/ Carmarthen), Tom Davies (Blues /Cardiff), Dan Suter (Ospreys / Bridgend), Nicky Thomas (Ospreys / Swansea), Ethan Lewis (Blues / Cardiff), Elliot Dee (Dragons / Bedwas), Carwyn Jones (Scarlets / Carmarthen), Jack Jones (Ospreys / Rovigo), Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys / Swansea), Ieuan Jones (Dragons / Newport), Daniel Thomas (Scarlets / Llanelli), Sion Bennett (Scarlets / Carmarthen), James Benjamin (Dragons/ Bedwas)

Backs: Rhodri Williams (Scarlets / Llandovery), Joshua Davies (Dragons / Bedwas), Rhys Patchell (Blues / Cardiff), Sam Davies (Ospreys / Swansea), Cory Allen (Blues / Cardiff), Steffan Hughes (Scarlets / Llanelli), Jack Dixon (Dragons / Bedwas), Thomas Pascoe (Blues / Pontypridd), Harry Robinson (Blues / Cardiff), Aaron Warren (Llandovery), Ashley Evans (Ospreys / Bridgend), Jordan Williams (Scarlets / Llanelli), Hallam Amos (Dragons / Bedwas)

Looking at the pools, if we don't make the semi's I'd be massively disappointed. That's the kindest draw possible.

Latest posts