Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
rdpro12.png

Round 1 Fixtures

Scarlets.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Leinster.png

Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli (Friday, 19:05 GMT)

Newport.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Ulster.png

Rodney Parade, Newport (Friday, 19:15 GMT)

Glasgow.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Cardiff.png

Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow (Friday, 19:35 GMT)

Connacht.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Zebre.png

Sportsground, Galway (Saturday, 17:00 GMT)

Benetton.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Ospreys.png

Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso (Saturday, 18:30 GMT)

Munster.png
Versus_RD_Pro12.png
Edinburgh.png

Musgrave Park, Cork (Saturday, 19:15 GMT)

The Scarlets v Leinster and Dragons v Ulster matches are on the BBC red button.

The Scarlets v Leinster is also available online on RTÉ.

Munster v Edinburgh is on TG4 and BBC Alba

Glasgow v The Blues is on BBC Alba

Treviso v Ospreys on S4C

Any others...?

LEINSTER:

15: Dave Kearney
14: Darragh Fanning
13: Fergus McFadden
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jimmy Gopperth
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Jack McGrath
2: Sean Cronin
3: Martin Moore
4: Tom Denton
5: Devin Toner
6: Rhys Ruddock
7: Shane Jennings CAPTAIN
8: Jordi Murphy

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Aaron Dundon
17: Jack O'Connell
18: Mike Ross
19: Mike McCarthy
20: Dominic Ryan
21: Isaac Boss
22: Noel Reid
23: Brendan Macken

Pretty good team to put out for the first game considering how many have been involved with summer tours. Really happy to see D.Kearney back as he was really going well before that kick in the head. McGrath and Murphy getting game time also pleases me as those are two who will have to step up as backs more and more over the next season and beyond.

Stronger team than usual for the first game that's for sure! I'll be keeping an eye on how the front row and the centres go - Moore and McFadden in particular. Scarlets are no scrummaging powerhouse so it'd be really nice for the young lads if we could get on top of them. McFadden has a big chance to stake his claim for the 13 shirt next season. No doubt he'll get moved at some point with Macken coming on, but he should get about 50 or 60 minutes to impress.

Second row looks a bit weak, but McCarthy for Denton would add the needed grunt. Back row impressive as ever.

No reason we can't win this game.

A surprisingly strong Leinster team.

The nordies:
(15-9): J Payne, A Trimble, L Marshall, C Farrell, D McIlwaine, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): C Black, R Herring, R Lutton, J Muller (Captain), D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): N Annett, T Court, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, S Doyle, I Porter, J McKinney, D Cave

Marshall at 13 is the most interesting call. I've said numerous times that I think he could excel there and be O'Driscoll's long term successor for the national team.

I would have imagined the centres the other way around, however I suppose the bosher at 12 and the playmaker at 13 is in vogue at the moment. Front row doesn't look like all that much is going on.

I would have imagined the centres the other way around, however I suppose the bosher at 12 and the playmaker at 13 is in vogue at the moment. Front row doesn't look like all that much is going on.
For this game I agree with you, the centres would probably fit better with Marshall at 12. Marshall is still a powerful player who can bust tackles and use footwork to beat people. Putting him outside other playmakers like Olding at 12 and Jackson at 10 could be a real recipe for success.

uhmmm.... of the two, I would say the playmaker is at 12.

I wouldn't mind if Ulster would send us at least one of their young centers, preferably Marshal as I agree with Snoop Marshal has the skills to play 13 for a club side and hopefully Ireland. Not that'll ever happen.

I wouldn't mind if Ulster would send us at least one of their young centers,

fekk away off! They're ours - and you aren't getting near them!!

:-D

<although 5="" or="" 6="" into="" 2="" don't="" really="" go....="" luke="" marshall,="" paddy="" wallace,="" chris="" farrell,="" jared="" payne,="" darren="" cave,="" stuart="" olding...="" mike="" allen="" is="" a="" centre.="" thankfully="" we="" can="" play="" jp="" at="" full-back="" and="" on="" the="" wing.=""></although>[although 5 or 6 into 2 doesn't really go. Luke marshall, Paddy Wallace, Stuart Olding, Chris Farrell, Darren Cave, Jared Payne and Mike Allen are all centres - luckily we can play JP at full back and MA on the wing.]

Last edited:
Taken from the Beeb.

Glasgow:
Peter Murchie; Sean Lamont, Mark Bennett, Alex Dunbar, Byron McGuigan; Scott Wight, Henry Pyrgos; Jerry Yanuyanutawa, Pat MacArthur, Ed Kalman, Tim Swinson, Al Kellock (capt), Rob Harley, Chris Fusaro, Richie Vernon.

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Gordon Reid, Moray Low, Tyrone Holmes, Jonny Gray, Chris Cusiter, Ruaridh Jackson, Tommy Seymour.

Blues: Tom Williams; Harry Robinson, Owen Williams, Gavin Evans, Chris Czekaj; Rhys Patchell, Lloyd Williams; Taufa'ao Filise, Matthew Rees (capt), Scott Andrews, Bradley Davies, Filo Paulo, Macauley Cook, Josh Navidi, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Marc Breeze, Sam Hobbs, Benoit Bourrust, James Down, Luke Hamilton, Lewis Jones, Gareth Davies, Dafydd Hewitt.

A young back line for the Blues and I expect Glasgow to really challenge the defence. Brother of Lloyd Williams, Tom Williams has had a good pre-season at full-back with some good territorial kicking and strike running, yet I expect Glasgow to look to put intense pressure on him early on. He is very quick but not sure about defence as of yet.

Czekaj hasn't offered much in a while and I feel might be there to shut down Lamont.

Oh, and Gavin Evans is a real threat, Glasgow will have their entire back line looking out for him after he closely missed out on a lions place. Some say he would have even been selected over BOD ;).

Glasgow to win by 10.

Nice looking team can't wait to see how Fitz and Moore get on.

Taken from the Beeb.

Glasgow:
Peter Murchie; Sean Lamont, Mark Bennett, Alex Dunbar, Byron McGuigan; Scott Wight, Henry Pyrgos; Jerry Yanuyanutawa, Pat MacArthur, Ed Kalman, Tim Swinson, Al Kellock (capt), Rob Harley, Chris Fusaro, Richie Vernon.

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Gordon Reid, Moray Low, Tyrone Holmes, Jonny Gray, Chris Cusiter, Ruaridh Jackson, Tommy Seymour.

Blues: Tom Williams; Harry Robinson, Owen Williams, Gavin Evans, Chris Czekaj; Rhys Patchell, Lloyd Williams; Taufa'ao Filise, Matthew Rees (capt), Scott Andrews, Bradley Davies, Filo Paulo, Macauley Cook, Josh Navidi, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Marc Breeze, Sam Hobbs, Benoit Bourrust, James Down, Luke Hamilton, Lewis Jones, Gareth Davies, Dafydd Hewitt.

A young back line for the Blues and I expect Glasgow to really challenge the defence. Brother of Lloyd Williams, Tom Williams has had a good pre-season at full-back with some good territorial kicking and strike running, yet I expect Glasgow to look to put intense pressure on him early on. He is very quick but not sure about defence as of yet.

Czekaj hasn't offered much in a while and I feel might be there to shut down Lamont.

Oh, and Gavin Evans is a real threat, Glasgow will have their entire back line looking out for him after he closely missed out on a lions place. Some say he would have even been selected over BOD ;).

Glasgow to win by 10.

Think Jerry Yanuyanutawa becomes my new favourite name in rugby.

Scarlets Team v Leinster; Friday September 6th 2013 kick off 7.05pm at Parc y Scarlets;
15 Gareth Owen; 14 Liam Williams; 13 Scott Williams; 12 Steve Shingler; 11 Kristian Phillips; 10 Rhys Priestland; 9 Gareth Davies;
1 Phil John; 2 Ken Owens; 3 Samson Lee; 4 George Earle; 5 Jo Snyman; 6 Aaron Shingler; 7 Josh Turnbull; 8 Rob McCusker (capt).

Scarlets Team v Leinster; Friday September 6th 2013 kick off 7.05pm at Parc y Scarlets;
15 Gareth Owen; 14 Liam Williams; 13 Scott Williams; 12 Steve Shingler; 11 Kristian Phillips; 10 Rhys Priestland; 9 Gareth Davies;
1 Phil John; 2 Ken Owens; 3 Samson Lee; 4 George Earle; 5 Jo Snyman; 6 Aaron Shingler; 7 Josh Turnbull; 8 Rob McCusker (capt).
Shingler playing inside centre. I am interested in the Scarlets suddenly.

Dragons: Dan Evans; Tom Prydie, Pat Leach, Jack Dixon, Hallam Amos; Jason Tovey, Richie Rees; Aaron Coundley, T. Rhys Thomas, Dan Way, Matthew Screech, Andrew Coombs (capt), Jevon Groves, Nic Cudd, Lewis Evans.
Replacements: Hugh Gustafson, Phil Price, Francisco Chaparro, Adam Jones, Netani Talei, Jonathan Evans, Kris Burton, Ross Wardle.
From BBC

Like the backline, very young though, but something to develop. Tight five is somewhat less **** than we have seen before. Screech is already better than Nimmo and Tyler I am willing to bet. Back row will get stronger with Froby returning, might consider Ieuan Jones on the blindside when Toby is there.

Last edited:
I assume the Dragons didn't know they would get Tovey back when they brought Burton?

A shame for Tovey that his Blues spell was pretty poor really, looks unlikely he will make an international cap now seeing as he couldn't even make the Japan tour.

On the plus side he wasn't involved with the Japan tour.

Munster

15 Denis Hurley
14 Ronan O'Mahony
13 Casey Laulala
12 Ivan Dineen
11 Johne Murphy
10 Ian Keatley
9 Duncan Williams

1 James Cronin
2 Mike Sherry
3 Stephen Archer
4 Dave Foley
5 Donncha O'Callaghan
6 Dave O'Callaghan
7 Sean Dougall
8 James Coughlan (C)

Replacements:
Damien Varley,
Dave Kilcoyne,
John Ryan,
Billy Holland,
Tommy O'Donnell,
Cathal Sheridan,
JJ Hanrahan,
Cian Bohane.

Edinburgh

15 Greig Tonks
14 Dougie Fife
13 Nick De Luca
12 Ben Atiga
11 Lee Jones
10 Piers Francis
9 Sean Kennedy

1 Alasdair Dickinson
2 Ross Ford
3 WP Nel
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 Izak van der Westhuizen
6 Sean Cox (c)
7 Roddy Grant
8 David Denton

Substitutes:
16 Aleki Lutui,
17 Geoff Cross,
18 Lewis Niven,
19 Ollie Atkins,
20 Hamish Watson,
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne,
22 Harry Leonard,
23 Jack Cuthbert

I assume the Dragons didn't know they would get Tovey back when they brought Burton?

A shame for Tovey that his Blues spell was pretty poor really, looks unlikely he will make an international cap now seeing as he couldn't even make the Japan tour.

Tovey was a better standoff than Biggar in 2009/10, but suffered from numerous injuries at the wrong times. I can only assume he wasn't selected for Japan due to almost no rugby in 2013 (played a few until mid-Six Nations). I don't think he will be more than a Summer cap, but he can still be a handy player and surprise us. Richie Rees was what, 27 when he got his first cap?

Burton must have been an Edwards signing, much like Ryan, who was quickly cut when Lyn took over. I can't see Kris being a long term fixture, unless he somehow turns it around. He won't lose any inside backs to Wales right now (possibly Jonathan Evans and Jack Dixon next year). The Dragons have some good young players coming through, we need to invest in them, rather than some older Principality Prem player as we have done in the past. I don't expect miracles from Lyn. What I would expect is some decent signings within budget and setting up a team that is somewhat sustainable given the limits in the squad. Screech could be a good signing. Out second rows were hardly young and talented. I wouldn't mind taking Gough on a one year contract as well, just until we can ensure Matthew is able to play most matches for us at a good level (imagine he could be a bit of a mentor).

Hooker we actually have some passable depth. TRT should do the job for now, until Parry takes over (I think he will, over Gustafson). Elliott Dee looked good for the U20s as well. Prop is prop... If Coundley can stay fit we might have something there. We really needed Watchurst, very sad he had to retire.

Munster

15 Denis Hurley
14 Ronan O'Mahony
13 Casey Laulala
12 Ivan Dineen
11 Johne Murphy
10 Ian Keatley
9 Duncan Williams

1 James Cronin
2 Mike Sherry
3 Stephen Archer
4 Dave Foley
5 Donncha O'Callaghan
6 Dave O'Callaghan
7 Sean Dougall
8 James Coughlan (C)

How the hell can you promote the regular season Pro12 as a great league when sides like this are being put out? Laughable. How much of that would start a big Heineken Cup match with the the full team are back? Laulala plus Coughlan and Sherry maybe?

Thankfully for Munster, Edinburgh are not in a good place. That should be a pretty low standard game.

Tovey was a better standoff than Biggar in 2009/10, but suffered from numerous injuries at the wrong times. I can only assume he wasn't selected for Japan due to almost no rugby in 2013 (played a few until mid-Six Nations). I don't think he will be more than a Summer cap, but he can still be a handy player and surprise us. Richie Rees was what, 27 when he got his first cap?.

2009/10 was Biggar's breakthrough season where he became first choice and pushed out Hook to centre, it was the following season he had a difficult time, he said in interviews this year that Fiji disaster hurt his confidence.

Last edited:

Latest posts