• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Australia vs. New Zealand in Sydney (17/08/2013)

I said a few weeks ago: "Ben Smith and Rene Ranger were the best NZ backs in the last Super Rugby".

Regards

Bene Ranger!

Halfpenny isn't an attacking fullback in the way of say Cullen or his Welsh predecessor Lee Byrne. His preference when receiving the ball from deep in space is to kick, rather than run (not saying it is good/bad). He does run when he is closer to support. I could gif you all but can't be bothered. Take a look at Shane Williams' try v Samoa (RWC2011), or a few of the tries in the third test v Australia, he works with little space down the touchline very well, opting to use his support rather than run himself. Furhermore, his defence is honestly very good. Look at how quickly he moves across to cover Strettle and win the Triple Crown for Wales in 2012. He manages to hit a moving Strettle at pace, starting from a fair ways infield. If he was born in Christchurch, well...

Didn't the Lions win the last test by more?

Lions >> Small Blacks, obvs.

Was trying to remember what happened the last time the Lions tried to take on the ABs... Oh that's right, the ABs swept them 3 - 0 wasn't even a contest!
Honestly the OZs are not a good team, the Lions were barely any better. The RC will be a contest between a pretty good SA team and the ABs, no question a bout it! My hunch says the ABs and SA will split their two games but overall the ABs are better and will win on bonus points. The 4 try point on the weekend away in OZ is pretty important. I don't think SA will get 5 in OZ.

he made them look easy but we have seen wingers for the AB's screw enough of those up in recent times, I remember Jane bombing one from a SBW offload with a completely open line not too long ago. So far all the chances and half chances he is nailing perfectly.

long way to go no one can be sure who will win it yet. I just think so far he is the front runner in NZ for a Nomination.

Halfpenny was fantastic and critical to the Lions victory. Sure lions series dont happen often and that makes it special But the All Blacks thrashing of Aussie in Aussie puts that series into perspective I think and the reality is Halfpenny would struggle to make a game day 23 for the All Blacks. He will surely get a nomination but actually win it?

They were easy IMO. I'm not saying I could've scored them (I probably scored the one off Crudens offload ;)) but I think any of the ABs back three could've got them. He just paced it to the line, got the ball first and defenders were only really there to tackle him when he was either near or over the line. What Im tryin to say is, those tries don't show Bens other more exciting evasive skills. He can score way better tries than that.

As for Halfpenny he was just an example of the other players out there. I only mentioned him cos he played a really good fullbacks role for a guy who looks like a halfback. Unlike Ben who naturally gets to play for the ABs which IMO makes things easier for you to just concentrate on your own game, Halfpenny IMO has more weight on his shoulders and is a vital part of a Welsh side who are world beaters but not like the ABs with all due respect.

I don't really want to go into a big comparison of the two. They're both good.

Didn't the Lions win the last test by more?

Lions >> Small Blacks, obvs.

Err I think 6 tries to 2 probably tells a more accurate story about this test than 47 - 29

The AB's gave away a lot of cheap points from unforced errors, esp in the first half

Was trying to remember what happened the last time the Lions tried to take on the ABs... Oh that's right, the ABs swept them 3 - 0 wasn't even a contest!

And that was against "the best prepared Lions team ever to leave the shores of the British Isles"

They were so bad, there were even Lions jokes going around, like...

Q: There are only two things on the Earth that are visible from space. What are they?

A: The Great Wall of China, and the gap in the Lions' back-line!

Last edited:
wouldn't say he was ever out of favor or form. I think everyone knew his talent but he was stuck behind Toeava in the pecking order and in hindsight that was wrong but Toeava clocked up running meters and linebreaks in super rugby like nothing else, even then Ben Smith was only just behind him - but probably better at many other aspects of the game. in hindsight he should probably have been a regular for the all blacks since his debut in 2008.

if anything it shows just how hard it is to make the AB's.

cheers, I recall him playing a test a long time ago then not seeing him until this year for the highlanders and ABs hence I thought he was out of favour. I suppose I didn't really follow him closely until I heard about him on here :)

Err I think 6 tries to 2 probably tells a more accurate story about this test than 47 - 29

The AB's gave away a lot of cheap points from unforced errors, esp in the first half

Hmm, well in that case we'll go with the 5 tries to 1, meaning the Lions' defense is twice as good as the All Blacks and their attack five sixths as good. Therefore we reach the inevitable conclusion that they're the far superior team. :p

Hmm, well in that case we'll go with the 5 tries to 1, meaning the Lions' defense is twice as good as the All Blacks and their attack five sixths as good. Therefore we reach the inevitable conclusion that they're the far superior team. :p

Haha, keep living in la la land if you want mate, but the cold hard facts are that the last time the Lions and ABs played the Lions got humiliated. If you want to try and compare current teams who havent played each other this year then here is your order.

OZ - terrible
Lions - a tiny bit better
SA - good
ABs - very good

If you are not convinced look at the records of the respective teams over the last 24 months, then come back to us and try and make a coherent argument ;)

Guys, not meaning to point out the extremely f*cking obvious, but Feic is obviously looking for a bite from ridiculiously defensive All Blacks fans.

Stop biting.

Guys, not meaning to point out the extremely f*cking obvious, but Feic is obviously looking for a bite from ridiculiously defensive All Blacks fans.

Stop biting.

Easy Tiger - Feic tried to make his point and I've made mine - no harm in that is there?

EDIT: 21 - 3, 48 - 18, & 38 - 19 ;) Oh and better not forget the NZ Maori 19 - 13!!

Last edited:
Anyone have the inside word on Cruden for game 2? Hope he's fit!

Easy Tiger - Feic tried to make his point and I've made mine - no harm in that is there?

EDIT: 21 - 3, 48 - 18, & 38 - 19 ;) Oh and better not forget the NZ Maori 19 - 13!!

My point is Feic isn't actually try to make a point - he's trying to get a reaction.

It's one the reasons we love Feic :p
also how do matches held 8 years ago between two teams who have both almost completely changed have an bearing on today? ABs2011, you're making it far too easy for our man Feic ;)

Anyone have the inside word on Cruden for game 2? Hope he's fit!

Word is that both Beauydy and Cruden are injured and doubtful for Saturday. Though we should know more once the scanse return tomorrow.

ANyone have Donald's number?

Word is that both Beaudy and Cruden are injured and doubtful for Saturday. Though we should know more once the scans return tomorrow.

Anyone have Donald's number?

There, I fixed it.

If they are also injured. Then who is left??

Gareth Anscombe? Piri Weepu? With Donald playing overseas, there is surely no way that the NZRU will give him a call with all the talks that they won't pick guys who are not playing in NZ.

Willie Ripia???

I think someone posted a link to a story on the previous page, Colin Slate and Tom Talyor have been called up as injury cover at 10.

Makes me a bit jealous that, with three fly halves injured, the All Blacks still have the depth to call up a man who has played in a World Cup final. Admittedly he went of injured less than half way through but I think its hard to argue that Slade is worse than the fourth choice 10 that any other nation would be calling upon in a similar situation. His tendency to fall over injured in a stiff wind aside I quite like him as a player when he is on form. Hasn't exactly been consistent this year though (but Ben Smith/God aside, who has at the Highlanders?).

As for Taylor, I don't understand the beef some All Blacks fans have with him. I haven't seen many of his performances in Super Rugby this year but did catch a lot of his ITM games for Canterbury in 2012/13. On the basis of his performances then, good in defense, often looking dangerous on attack and with a stupidly accurate boot, I don't see whats wrong with him. Can anyone enlighten me?

I presume Anscombe hasn't been picked due to injury?

If Slade breaks in training this week I wonder who would get the call up? I think flying Nick Evans in from London would be great...

Haha, keep living in la la land if you want mate, but the cold hard facts are that the last time the Lions and ABs played the Lions got humiliated. If you want to try and compare current teams who havent played each other this year then here is your order.

OZ - terrible
Lions - a tiny bit better
SA - good
ABs - very good

If you are not convinced look at the records of the respective teams over the last 24 months, then come back to us and try and make a coherent argument ;)

Hang on, I was talking about the 2005 Lions. They were bloody awfu!l

This 2013 lot, much, much better. I'd say the AB's would have their hands full with them. I think their scrum would be marginally better than ours, our backs would have the wood on theirs, and the rest (breakdown, lineouts) would be about even. I think 3-0 to the AB's would not be a given.

I think someone posted a link to a story on the previous page, Colin Slate and Tom Talyor have been called up as injury cover at 10.

Makes me a bit jealous that, with three fly halves injured, the All Blacks still have the depth to call up a man who has played in a World Cup final. Admittedly he went of injured less than half way through but I think its hard to argue that Slade is worse than the fourth choice 10 that any other nation would be calling upon in a similar situation. His tendency to fall over injured in a stiff wind aside I quite like him as a player when he is on form. Hasn't exactly been consistent this year though (but Ben Smith/God aside, who has at the Highlanders?).

As for Taylor, I don't understand the beef some All Blacks fans have with him. I haven't seen many of his performances in Super Rugby this year but did catch a lot of his ITM games for Canterbury in 2012/13. On the basis of his performances then, good in defense, often looking dangerous on attack and with a stupidly accurate boot, I don't see whats wrong with him. Can anyone enlighten me?

I presume Anscombe hasn't been picked due to injury?

If Slade breaks in training this week I wonder who would get the call up? I think flying Nick Evans in from London would be great...

Slade got injured in the QF. Cruden was injured in the final.

There is nothing wrong with Taylor, like you say. He does the basics incredibly well but we have come to want a bit more of that out of first-five.

Anscombe is out of most of the ITM Cup and is having surgery.

Probably Lima Sopoaga and then Tyler Blyendaal would be the next two in line.

Nothing wrong with Tom Taylor. He's never been an All Black so why would All Blacks fans have any beef with him? You might be confusing him with Tom Marshall; some Crusaders fans are a bit miffed with him because he has signed for the Chiefs for 2014-15.

Colin Slade has had a pretty good season in a poor team this year, although I haven't watched may Highlanders games so you would=have to ask some of their fans how he has gone.

I have hear a rumour that Dan Carter might be making a surpise return.

Hang on, I was talking about the 2005 Lions. They were bloody awfu!l

This 2013 lot, much, much better. I'd say the AB's would have their hands full with them. I think their scrum would be marginally better than ours, our backs would have the wood on theirs, and the rest (breakdown, lineouts) would be about even. I think 3-0 to the AB's would not be a given.

Are you sure about that??

History has shown that the B&I Lions only win a series every 12 years...

Slade got injured in the QF. Cruden was injured in the final.

There is nothing wrong with Taylor, like you say. He does the basics incredibly well but we have come to want a bit more of that out of first-five.

Anscombe is out of most of the ITM Cup and is having surgery.

Probably Lima Sopoaga and then Tyler Blyendaal would be the next two in line.

Apparently Weepu isn't as far down the pecking order as one might expect.
Slade, Taylor, Weepu then Blyendaal...I'd be concerned if they have to go further than that BUT for what it's worth the young lad from HB looked like a talent in the ITM cup on the weekend.

Latest posts