• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Canadian Rugby Championship and General Canadian Rugby Chat.

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The CRC schedule has been announced and a long overdue expansion of an extra round has finally been done. All teams will now face each other home and away. I'll add soem further thoughts later as I don't have much time right now.

2014 Canadian Rugby Championship Schedule Venues and exact times to be announced later

Sat Aug. 9th:
British Columbia Bears at Prairie Wolf Pack

Sat Aug. 16th:
Atlantic Rock at Ontario Blues
Prairie Wolf Pack at British Columbia Bears

Thu Sept. 4th:
Ontario Blues at Prairie Wolf Pack
Atlantic Rock at British Columbia Bears

Sun Sept. 7th:
Ontario Blues at British Columbia Bears
Atlantic Rock at Prairie Wolf Pack

Thu Sept. 18th:
Prairie Wolf Pack at Atlantic Rock
British Columbia Bears at Ontario Blues

Sun Sept. 21st:
Prairie Wolf Pack at Ontario Blues
British Columbia Bears at Atlantic Rock

Sat Sept. 27th:
Ontario Blues at Atlantic Rock

Just four teams?

Yes sadly, there is a 5th team that sometimes operates in other age groups and competitions called the Voyageurs, which is Quebec along with part of Ontario(the Eastern part mostly). If the budget got large enough it would be possible to add them, a 6th team would be even more unlikely but perhaps BC could be split into a Mainland and Island sides.

Just a reminder to those wondering what the regions are....(the first two are self explanatory.)

Ontario Blues
British Columbia Bears
Atlantic Rock (Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Quebec)
Prairie Wolf Pack (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba)

I'll definitely try to make an Ontario game or two. I went to one a few years ago when BC was being called Pacific Tyee for whatever reason. Unfortunately I missed out last year due to a family vacation :( our club was playing against Burlington before the Ontario game at the same field. I was pretty annoyed at missing it so I want to get out there this year.

Also, Little Guy do you know much about Eastern Ontario? Their clubs are listed on the rugby Ontario website but don't they play in the Quebec leagues?

Last edited:
The BC Bears were called the Pacific Tyee because the BC rugby union had a little petty disagreement with Rugby Canada.

Edit" Off topic fact of the day; Dan Pletch has been named head coach of McMaster's rugby team:lol:

Last edited:
The BC Bears were called the Pacific Tyee because the BC rugby union had a little petty disagreement with Rugby Canada.

Edit" Off topic fact of the day; Dan Pletch has been named head coach of McMaster's rugby team:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh jesus. That was great.

Jonny24,I believe each sub-union (Niagra, Toronto, Eastern and Southwest) have their own leagues. Then there is the Marshall Leagues (Premier and Provincial). The premier is the best 8 teams in Ontario, while the latter is the next top eight. However I`m not sure if the East is involved with the Marshall league. The 2013 edition does not have any of the Eastern clubs participating.

Yes I'm familiar with how the other unions fit in. Southwest is basically folded into Niagara. But yeah I thought it was weird that the provincial leagues didn't have any eastern teams.

The Eastern Ontario clubs are in the ORU but play in the Quebec league. Has been like that for past 3-4 seasons. When they even play for a CRC team it seems to be the Rock.

What's the secret to the Canadians winning record against the Americans?

Some reasons I have for the record we have against the United States would be....

1. More time together as a squad, Canada seems to have more time together as a combined unit particularly with the elite training centre.

2. Better goal kicking, Pritchard(and a couple of other backups) have generally been higher percentage kickers than their Eagles counterparts, this has turned the tide in some close match ups.

3. Better bench and depth, the starting XV are quite even and in fact the United States are superior in more than a few positions, but in most matches Canada have been able to put on better replacements or cover for injured tour players. This has turned some close late games

4. Luck and some bounces/breaks. I'm thinking of the 2nd RWC qualifier as a prime example, a few bounces here and there, some missed kicks and we came out as mildly undeserving winners. Over the years it seems as though we've pulled a couple extra wins over the Eagles.

5. A better pathway to the National side, while the pathway is certainly not perfect in Canada I think it stands favourably to the system in the States. The Canadian Rugby Championship is an excellent example of this, and the United States could really use an equivalent competition. The college and University game tends to be better developed in Canada as well, the United States has some fantastic school teams but they stand heads and shoulders above other programs within the country and I've seen some games become so lopsided they make Namibia's performance against Australia in 2003 look good. It's not good for either the losing or winning side development wise in that kind of scenario.

6. Better coaching, with the exception of Ric Suggit's tenure I think Canada has usually had coaches that have held their own in the International arena, the United States has had some good coaches and some uhhh not so good coaches.

7. This is a mostly historical reason that is dissapating with every passing year considerably and is probably non existent now. More interest in the game, this would be mostly true of the pre 1995ish results, since than this factor has pretty much dissapeared, the United States likely has higher playing numbers in general than we do.

The Eastern Ontario clubs are in the ORU but play in the Quebec league. Has been like that for past 3-4 seasons. When they even play for a CRC team it seems to be the Rock.

I thought of this the other day and I wondered if Rugby Canada was worried about the strength of The Rock in the longer term. I've seen some dissapointing junior results from the Atlantic sides in the last few years and some of the Senior members of their CRC team are nearing the end of their careers or have peaked. They still tend to be a tough nut to crack at home but away results have been pretty poor.

Combined with the aging and mostly stagnant population growth in the team's catchment area compared to the other three sides, the long term prospects are a little concerning, I don't want to overstate this. If The Rock lost the Quebec(and Eastern Ontario in come cases) players this would hurt their depth even more as a number of guys come out of the Montreal/Eastern Ont. club scene.

Yes I'm familiar with how the other unions fit in. Southwest is basically folded into Niagara. But yeah I thought it was weird that the provincial leagues didn't have any eastern teams.

Yeah the NRU/Southwest clubs have to do considerable travel some years, I remember St. Catharines, Grimsby, Niagara II, even having to travel all the way to Windsor for games a few years back even at a low level. Division C which your in now and which I know a few guys in is at least a little better these days. I remember a slew of forfeitures at some of those extreme travel games as team's couldnt find enough willing players to make the trip.

Last edited:
Yeah it's definitely better travel wise in C. Two years ago we were up in A division and we had to do the drives out to Windsor, Chatham and Bruce. Now Stratford is as far as we go and that's only an hour and a half.

If the East coast is weakening maybe they could look at moving the Rock farther west, maybe Montreal.

Well answered indeed.

If I may pick your brains a little further, what should the next logical step be for Canadian Rugby?

Yeah it's definitely better travel wise in C. Two years ago we were up in A division and we had to do the drives out to Windsor, Chatham and Bruce. Now Stratford is as far as we go and that's only an hour and a half.

If the East coast is weakening maybe they could look at moving the Rock farther west, maybe Montreal.

As it stands having the Rock in Newfoundland means you probably miss out on some players in Ottawa and Montreal as they simply don't bother even trying to play due to distances involved. Obviously some do, but not a large number. If you moved the team to Montreal I'm sure you would have the same effect on the Atlantic players. It should just be a calculation on which side is strongest and then make the other travel. I'm guessing the Newfies are still better at the highest level.

I don't know if this is the right thread but how much travel is involved in the different unions across Canada? Here in Edmonton our union covers Northern Alberta so we have teams out in Drayton Valley, Edson, Cold Lake, Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray alongside teams inside Edmonton and in the Capital region. Fort Mac and GP are like 5 hour drives from Edmonton, Cold Lake is around 4 hours, Drayton is like 1.5 hours and Edson is around 2 hours away. The Alberta Premier League is split between Edmonton and Calgary but only within the two cities. It's the ERU Div 2s and 3s that get to do the Northern traveling.

I don't know if this is the right thread but how much travel is involved in the different unions across Canada? Here in Edmonton our union covers Northern Alberta so we have teams out in Drayton Valley, Edson, Cold Lake, Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray alongside teams inside Edmonton and in the Capital region. Fort Mac and GP are like 5 hour drives from Edmonton, Cold Lake is around 4 hours, Drayton is like 1.5 hours and Edson is around 2 hours away. The Alberta Premier League is split between Edmonton and Calgary but only within the two cities. It's the ERU Div 2s and 3s that get to do the Northern traveling.

I'm in Ottawa and have one game a year that's six hours away (Quebec City) and a couple games in Montreal per year (2 hours).

how would replacing the top league section and add a section for Canadian/American rugby sound ? they're are huge numbers off canadian/american users and they're are like no japanese users who uses the top league section and i would definitely read and reply to the forums

It would be nice to have a place to discuss Canadian rugby. Tis the season for rugby in Canada after all so there shouldn't be a shortage of discussions. And I'm sure the Yanks would like a designated place to converge.

Do the Blues only play at Fletchers? Or do they ever have games closer to the City.

It also seams that when ever I am at Fletchers are the days that no big teams have games there.

Latest posts