• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Canadian Rugby Championship and General Canadian Rugby Chat.

http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3817&leagueID=0&page=86399

Canada's Under-20 Men's Fifteens Roster:

Ontario – 10
Brandon Blaikie – (Queen's University) Markham, ON
Owen Brombel – (James Bay AA/Guelph Redcoats) Guelph, ON
Paul Ciulini – (Aurara Barbarians) Vaughan, ON
Andrew Coe – (UBC Thunderbirds) Markham, ON
Dillon Goos – (London St. George's) London, ON
Lucas Rumball – (James Bay AA/Balmy Beach) Scarborough, ON
Mitch Santilli – (James Bay AA/Harlequins) Brantford, ON
John Shaw – (Bytown Blues) Ottawa, ON
Matt Tierney – (James Bay AA/Mississauga Blues) Oakville, ON
Adrian Wadden – (Oakville Crusaders) Mississauga, ON

British Columbia – 7
Luke Bradley – (UVIC Vikes) Port Alberni, BC
Giuseppe Du Toit – (UVIC Vikes) Maple Ridge, BC
Harjun Gill – (UBC Thunderbirds) Richmond, BC
Karsten Leitner – (UBC Thunderbirds) Vancouver, BC
Calixto Martinez – (UBC Thunderbirds) Vancouver, BC
Ollie Nott – (UVIC Vikes) Qualicum, BC
Mitch Rothman – (Vancouver Rowing Club) Vancouver, BC

Newfoundland – 3
Justin Aylward – (Dogs RFC) St. John's, NL
Matt Murphy – (Dogs RFC) St. John's, NL
Tony Pomroy – (Baymen) Conception Bay South, NL

New Brunswick – 2
Emil Sehic – (Fredericton Loyalists) Fredericton, NB
Bryce Worden – (Burnaby Lake RFC) Sussex, NB

Alberta – 2
Nate Thomas – (Castaway Wanderers RFC) Red Deer, AB
Brandon Waeyen – (Calgary Hornets RFC) Calgary, AB

Nova Scotia -1
Tim Hart – (Brock University) Fall River, NS

Foreign – 5
Paddy Finlay – (Trinity University) Dublin, Ireland
Dylan Horgan – (UCC Rugby Club) Cork, Ireland
Dan Joyce – (Trinity University) Dublin, Ireland
Alex Colborne – (Queen's) Bristol, England
Conor Young – (Southern Districts RC) Sydney, Australia

It REALLY bugs me that there are more Irish kids on the U20 team than there are Albertans. With the improvements being made in the province though I expect that to change a lot over the next decade. Also what's up with Canadians/Canada Eligibles being associated with Trinity College?

Men's Under-20 March Series Schedule:

Canada U-20 vs. Romania U-20 Exhibition
March 10th – Shawnigan Lake School
Kick off at 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT
Streamed LIVE at www.rugbycanada.tv

Canada U-20 vs. Romania U-20 Exhibition
March 14th – Westhills Stadium
Kick off at 10pm ET/7pm PT

Canada U-20 vs. USA U-20 JWRT Qualifier
March 23rd – Shawnigan Lake School
Kick off at 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT

Canada U-20 vs. USA U-20 JWRT Qualifier
March 27th – Westhills Stadium
Kick off at 10pm ET/7pm PT

Heard about that yesterday.

Also why is Peter O'Leary not with the U20? He is suppose to be better than Shane.

No idea what happened to Peter O'Leary? Maybe he had an unimpressive camp? I mean there's only so many scrum-half positions you can fill on a 30-Man roster and Owen Brombell(Ontario), Tony Pomroy(Newfie) and Dan Joyce(Irish) claimed them. I personally think it's pretty awesome for us if two Canadian kids forced him off the roster, though I'd definitely keep him on the radar in the future if he really is the better of the brothers.

Anyways here's what happened last weekend, as best as I'm willing to do, almost in time for this weekends matches haha.
Round Up for the Weekend of February 14/15

Ospreys: Both teams were without some of their best players due to 6 Nations play. Edinburgh was able to pull out the 24-16 win and ruin another game for Ardron as captain. At least Ardron is getting lots of playing time as he got another full 80.

Glasgow Warriors: Glasgow completely dominated Zebre in Italy in front of an unimpressive crowd of apparently 900. DTH got the start on the wing, scoring a try during his 80' minutes of play. Braid was recalled from London Scottish due to 6N play and subbed on at 66' minute, connecting on two conversions.

London Irish: London Irish continues to have some struggles this year as they fell to Northampton 15-9. Rugged Jebb Sinclair was listed at Lock again and played the full 80. With the bulk of Back Row Canada has, maybe it really couldn't hurt to give him the starting Lock spot in the summer/fall.

London Welsh: Welsh have just been a constant disappointment this season. They got whooped by Sale to the tune of 52-12 and are still winless in all competitions as far as I know. At least Canada's newest Back Row continues to get regular playing time, this time starting the full 80 at Blindeside Flanker.

Cornish Pirates & Doncaster Knights: Three Canadians suited up as the Knights and the Pirates faced off. Phelan and Hotson both started at Lock for Doncaster with Hotson being subbed off at '69. Matt Evans started the full game for the Pirates but was listed on the wing instead of his usual Fullback position. Doncaster strengthened their league position, slipping past Moseley, as they over came the Pirates in a 30-13 win.

Plymouth Albion: Plymouth is fighting for their lives to avoid relegation and dug deep and settled for a 12-12 draw against London Scottish. Andrew Tiedemann got another start at Tighthead as he continues to be the only prop we have starting at a quality level. Unfortunately for us, he was also the only Canadian on the roster that saw game time. Mark Kohler appears to still be out with a rib injury and Tom Hicks returned after a stint with Gloucester, booting Buekeboom from the lineup.

Bedford Blues: This is a weird one. Some guy named Baden Kerr seems to have taken Pritchard's spot at Fullback over the last couple weeks. I can't really blame Bedford since Kerr is only 25 and Pritchard is definitely not 25. But back to the weird part, Pritchard has been listed as starting on the wing the last two weeks. Unfortunately Bedford fell to Jersey 17-3. Justin Blanchet didn't see the game sheet this week, which is kinda disappointing.

Both Top 14 and Pro D2 had the week off from play so none of our French based players had anything going on as far as I know.

BC Rugby: No CDI games this week but Castaway did play Cowichan in VIRU play. Only reason that is of any interest is I heard Ray Barkwill may have suited up. Too lazy to find out if that was true but he definitely needs to be doing something right now if he's going to be on the RWC roster.

Ray's Rugby released a video talking about the Top 60 Canadian players who could be on the radar for the RWC as well as the most likely lineup if chosen today. Some are definitely more unlikely than others. I listened to the video and wrote down all the names, so that we may discuss his choices, because I didn't see him give a physical list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxpx8NRv0fo

Props: Hubert Buydens, Jason Marshall, Andrew Tiedemann, Jake Ilnicki, Doug Wooldridge, Tom Dolezel, Djustice Sears-Duru, James Smith

Hooker: Aaron Carpenter, Ray Barkwill, Ryan Hamilton, Benoit Piffero

2nd Row: Jamie Cudmore, Tyler Hotson, Brett Beukeboom, Jon Phelan, Cameron Pierce, Aaron Flagg

Utility Forward: Evan Olmstead, Callum Morrison, Jebb Sinclair, Kyle Baillie

Back Row: Nanyak Dala, Tyler Ardron, John Moonlight, Kyle Gilmour, Richard Thorpe, Admir Cejvanovic, Seb Pearson, Justin Blanchet, Zac
Coughlan, Matt Mullins, Chauncey O'Toole, Adam Kleeberger

Scrum-Half: Gordon McRorie, Phil Mack, Sean White, Jamie Mackenzie, Andrew Ferguson

Fly-Half: Connor Braid, Harry Jones, Liam Underwood, Shane O'Leary, Nathan Hirayama, Patrick Parfrey

Centers: Ciaran Hearn, Conor Trainor, DTH van der Merwe, Nick Blevins, Phil Mackenzie, Mike Scholz, Pat Kay, Mike Fuailefau

Wing: Jeff Hassler, Taylor Paris, Jordan Wilson-Ross, Justin Douglas, Sean Duke

Fullback: Matt Evans, James Pritchard

31-Man Squad
Props: Buydens, Marshall, Tiedemann, Ilnicki, Wooldridge
Hooker: Carpenter, Barkwill, Hamilton
Locks: Cudmore, Hotson, Beukeboom, Phelan
Back Row: Sinclair, Gilmour, Moonlight, Dala, Thorpe, Ardron
Scrum-Half: McRorie, Mack, White
Fly-Half: Braid, Jones
Centers: Hearn, Trainor, Mackenzie, van der Merwe
Wing: Hassler, Paris
Fullback: Evans, Pritchard

Watched it as well and really enjoyed it, have to say I can't argue with many of his choices and his 31 man side is virtually identical to what I would have picked I could quibble slightly over a couple of the fringe guys, and I might have Underwood on my side if he continues his very good form on the 7's side and plays well in the lead in to the RWC.

I have a feeling O'Leary doesn't want to play for us so he'll take himself out of the equation, scrum half I still like White as the 3rd string guy over J. Mackenzie. Fly-Half is pretty ghastly which is such a shame I think this side could beat Italy with a decent #10.

Ilnicki could possibly be replaced by a more "in-form" player if someone stands out in the warm ups. He's unlikely(as his replacement would be as well) to see a lot of game time anyway. 3rd string Hooker is another pick em, I wouldn't be upset if Piffero was in for Barkwill or especially Hamilton who's likely to be injured anyway by September.

I believe unfortunately that Kleebs no longer has much to offer the side, injuries have just destroyed the player he was in 2011 and the other options here are more than good enough to make up for him. On the opposite end I think Pritch has some intangibles to offer the side even if he can only see limited minutes as he offers goal kicking, leadership and good rugby instincts to the team although his attacking threat is considerably diminished.

Locks I wouldn't totally write off Pierce and Flagg if they overachieve in the next few months or Bueks and Phelan perform poorly.

Centres/Wings are so good I'm sexually aroused by the depth of these positions.

Haven't watched it yet, but my gut tells me that Pierce is going to the world cup in place of Hotson.

Have watched the video:

I think Pierce goes in stead of Hotson, Hotson was barely used last November by Crowley and I think he is on the outs. The only question is who starts next to Cudmore, that is a 3 way battle between Phelan, Beukeboom and Pierce IMO. I would say that Beukeboom seems to be the early favourite for the starting spot.

One of Dala and Gilmour I think won't go, most likely Dala. He has had a lot of injury problems recently and he might be battling fitness issues. Think Blanchett or Olmstead will go instead of one of them.

Have heard a rumour that Mack might retire, if he does, it will open a 3 SH spot, Ferguson should go then.

Underwood and O'Leary are the big wildcards. Have heard that Canada wants O'Leary but he wants Ireland. However this does throw the whole Peter O'Leary not making our U20 side this year into question though, was he not willing to commit to the senior side as well? Perhaps Canada didn't want to be burned twice? Who knows, but it is food for thought. I hope Underwood is back to 100%, but concussions are a scary thing. If he is healthy he is my starting 10 and Braid starting 12, unless O'Leary declares and then he is the starting 10 then.

Yeah I guess I should distinguish between who I would choose and who Crowley will choose, I think we might not see Hotson or Phil Mackenzie as they seem to be in his doghouse. Likewise while I like Dala as an impact sub Crowley seems to LOVE him and I really think he'll go as Crowley seems to stick with his guys.

Interesting rumour about Mack, is it just the injury issues? It would be a weird time to leave so close to the RWC and qualfication games for the Rio Olympics around the corner. It would be a blow especially to the 7's side.

Likewisw Ardron will almost certainly be captain when I wouldn't have him on the same side of the changing room as Buydens who I'd probably give the armband too, Ardron is now 0-9 with Canada/Ospreys and seems to be cursed in the role. He could finally break the duck tomorrow against Glasgow.

P. Mackenzie is coming back from injury apparently. he is still in RC's plans, I think his lack of selection was due to the injuries and not form.

P. Mackenzie is coming back from injury apparently. he is still in RC's plans, I think his lack of selection was due to the injuries and not form.

In some of his absenses he was getting appearances with Sale or at least the "A" side they had, maybe it was just bad luck and he had some minor issues that a tour would have exposed. I think he should make the squad so I hope that's the case and not Crowley passing over him, we saw it before with SMS that he was willing to look over quality pro's for an unexplained reason.

when is the Olympic qualifier again? Failing to beat the U.S. there could also cause a ripple effect in our WC squad. If we don't make the Olympics, I could see Douglas and Trainor taking XVs far more seriously.

Qualifiers are mid June in the States, I don't think we'll make it the Americans are on fire at the moment, so barring a momentum shift they have a huge edge.

I've never thought much of Douglas in XV's but that could be the factor of him playing so much 7's that he's out of position when it comes to the main game the "Hirayama factor" shall we say. If he changed his focus he might improve.

Edit: Forgot there was a repechage qualifier in 2016 for the team finishing 2nd in mid June of this year.

Yeah 0-7 with Canada(including the Maori game) and 0-3 with Ospreys I believe. I think the only games he's won as a captain at any level were over Uruguay "A" and an incredibly weak U.S.A. selects side at the ARC a while back. A couple of these games were admittedly difficult but I really only think the Moari one was a very distant reach. It's an abysmal record and both these teams need to drop him in the role.

With Canada he's lost to......

New Zealand Moari
Georgia
Romania x2
Japan
United States
Scotland

And Ospreys....

Zebre
Glasgow
Edinburgh

I think y'all are being kinda harsh on him. He's a 23 year old kid who's had the weight of a nation on his shoulders. And it's not like he stole the role, he probably got the Captaincy because his teammates believe in him. Sure Buydens would probably be a better captain for the short term, I for one thought Carpenter should have kept the role until he retired. But winning and losing are a team effort and I bet the year would have been similar no matter who had the armband. Crowley and the rest of the Canadian players have as much to do with losses, if not more, as Ardron being captain. And while the loss to Treviso was rather surprising, the recent losses to Edinburgh and Glasgow are harsh to judge him by. Edinburgh has been a decent side this year and Glasgow is currently leading the Pro 12. Let's not forget Buydens was captain during most of November and Canada lost to the Championship XV and Samoa while barely squeaking by Namibia.

Edit:
Also I was looking at the CDI rosters for this weekend and saw this.
CW
1. John Braddock (c)
2. Ray Barkwill
3. Jake Ilnicki
4. Hubert Buydens

I can't believe our starting Loosehead is stuck playing as a Lock on Vancouver Island. He was great at Manawatu during ITM Cup play and it's a damn near crime he isn't playing pro in England or France right now. I know he has ties to Castaway Wanderers and wanted to stay in Victoria if he didn't get a pro contract but it's kinda frustrating since surely one of the other clubs could be giving him time at Prop. Hopefully Crowley is paying attention and has a talk with Buydens and CW.

Last edited:
I think y'all are being kinda harsh on him. He's a 23 year old kid who's had the weight of a nation on his shoulders. And it's not like he stole the role, he probably got the Captaincy because his teammates believe in him. Sure Buydens would probably be a better captain for the short term, I for one thought Carpenter should have kept the role until he retired. But winning and losing are a team effort and I bet the year would have been similar no matter who had the armband. Crowley and the rest of the Canadian players have as much to do with losses, if not more, as Ardron being captain. And while the loss to Treviso was rather surprising, the recent losses to Edinburgh and Glasgow are harsh to judge him by. Edinburgh has been a decent side this year and Glasgow is currently leading the Pro 12. Let's not forget Buydens was captain during most of November and Canada lost to the Championship XV and Samoa while barely squeaking by Namibia.

Edit:
Also I was looking at the CDI rosters for this weekend and saw this.
CW
1. John Braddock (c)
2. Ray Barkwill
3. Jake Ilnicki
4. Hubert Buydens

I can't believe our starting Loosehead is stuck playing as a Lock on Vancouver Island. He was great at Manawatu during ITM Cup play and it's a damn near crime he isn't playing pro in England or France right now. I know he has ties to Castaway Wanderers and wanted to stay in Victoria if he didn't get a pro contract but it's kinda frustrating since surely one of the other clubs could be giving him time at Prop. Hopefully Crowley is paying attention and has a talk with Buydens and CW.

Yeah I should clarify that I think he shouldn't have been put in this position and he has had some really crap luck in the role. I wonder if Osprey's will keep him in for a few more matches, they have Leinster and Munster up next so it's possible if he captains them to the end of the 6N he could continue this cursed streak.

With Canada I think it's a small change that could be done to give a spark, but Crowley is stubborn so he'll keep him in there bring injury. I simply think it was a "too cute" move by the coaching staff, thinking longer term than they needed to.

Lots of chatter this morning that Rugby Canada will, at long last, be announcing that a Vancouver stop is going to be added to the 7s World Series.

Good timing for me, as I'm moving to Vancouver in a few months :)

Latest posts