• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Canadian Rugby Championship and General Canadian Rugby Chat.

Not sure if anyone follows Ray's Rugby - but this was quite a good video examining Canada's possible RWC squad - looking at the 60 most likely options.

Last edited by a moderator:
long time lurker first time posting here

I see there hasn't been many posts in the Canada section for awhile.
Has everyone finally had enough of the team? or nothing to talk about?
Perhaps just to busy this summer?

I for one enjoy watching and cheering on the team, but am truly annoyed with recent results (2 wins 11 loses going back to last year, or there abouts).

Pretty disappointed after watching the PNC games and seeing them live in TO vs Samoa. The team at times shows glimpses of what they could be, a fast running enterprising team with plenty to offer moving forward. But then they get up field and within 5 or 10 meters of striking and what shows even more is the lack of cohesion of a team that just doesn't spend enough time together, a team that makes far to many school boy handling errors. They can never seem to make that last breakthrough run or pass without coughing up the ball.
I expected much more from them.

Although my heart says maybe they can pull a few upsets and make it into the QF's, truly I'm not sure they will win a game.

How does everyone else feel about there chances?
How about coach Crowley? I can't help but think he's on his last legs here.
I understand playing everyone to help build team depth but how about sticking to the same team to build cohesion and chemistry. I would love to see a first choice lineup start a few games together, and not 10 to 12 changes per game.

Here's looking to WC, C'mon Canada

Ok sorry didn't see the talk in PNC thread on Canada (not much there prior). but completely sums up my frustration

Last edited:
long time lurker first time posting here

I see there hasn't been many posts in the Canada section for awhile.
Has everyone finally had enough of the team? or nothing to talk about?
Perhaps just to busy this summer?

I for one enjoy watching and cheering on the team, but am truly annoyed with recent results (2 wins 11 loses going back to last year, or there abouts).

Pretty disappointed after watching the PNC games and seeing them live in TO vs Samoa. The team at times shows glimpses of what they could be, a fast running enterprising team with plenty to offer moving forward. But then they get up field and within 5 or 10 meters of striking and what shows even more is the lack of cohesion of a team that just doesn't spend enough time together, a team that makes far to many school boy handling errors. They can never seem to make that last breakthrough run or pass without coughing up the ball.
I expected much more from them.

Although my heart says maybe they can pull a few upsets and make it into the QF's, truly I'm not sure they will win a game.

How does everyone else feel about there chances?
How about coach Crowley? I can't help but think he's on his last legs here.
I understand playing everyone to help build team depth but how about sticking to the same team to build cohesion and chemistry. I would love to see a first choice lineup start a few games together, and not 10 to 12 changes per game.

Here's looking to WC, C'mon Canada

Ok sorry didn't see the talk in PNC thread on Canada (not much there prior). but completely sums up my frustration

Welcome to the forum, from one lurker to another.

Wish I could offer some insight to your questions, but you've more or less taken the words out of my mouth. Collective game time is indeed badly needed, something which could be addressed, in part, by World Rugby committing to a consistent and slightly expanded PNC.

Aside from that it would be nice if Crowley stopped trying to out-think himself by testing every possible configuration of the match-day roster. (In my books, playing Jones at fullback with Pritchard as a wing-sub and Evans in street clothes was a perfect example of this.)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, from one lurker to another.

Wish I could offer some insight to your questions, but you've more or less taken the words out of my mouth. Collective game time is indeed badly needed, something which could be addressed, in part, by World Rugby committing to a consistent and slightly expanded PNC.

Aside from that it would be nice if Crowley stopped trying to out-think himself by testing every possible configuration of the match-day roster. (In my books, playing Jones at fullback with Pritchard as a wing-sub and Evans in street clothes was a perfect example of this.)

Hey guys, I don't post here at all anymore (spend most of my time at T2 Rugby Forum now, lots of Canuck fans, Google it) but I'll offer up what I posted over there with respect to the national team.

Canadian_Rugger said:
Honestly, a lot of these guys didn't belong on the International Rugby Pitch. Only real good news from this tournament is some young guys (Sears-Duru, Olmstead, Gilmour) and some others (Woolridge, Thorpe, Hirayama, Barkwill) showed that they can play ball. I am starting to think maybe Crowley is actually on to something because some of our supposed tried and tested have been found wanting (Buydens, Tiedemann, Carpenter, Hotson, Beukeboom, Phelan).

Better we find out now than we find out against Ireland on September 19th.

Like I said, The three warm-up games against USA, Fiji and Georgia should be a different team and give us a good gauge of who starts. The goal has to be to beat Italy and Romania and I think we can beat both of those teams with our best players on the field. Beating France or Ireland is out of reach but stranger things have happened and France has had their share of brain farts against us (1999 anyone) and you never know what Irish team is going to show up at the RWC.

My 30 going to the WC would be the following:

1. Sears-Duru (Buydens has been dreadful all tournament not taking another pro contract after the ITM, we need someone that can scrum!)
2. Barkwill (Carpenter has worked his way out of the starting lineup, Barkwill isn't a world beater but he makes his throws and is good in the loose)
3. Marshall (Top 14 player, quality professional and is good with ball in hand)
4. Cudmore (One of the few truly elite players we have and nobody can replicate his physicality)
5. Pierce (Plays in the Top 14, young but going to be a top level pro)
6. Sinclair (Another elite player who also brings considerable physicality to our game)
7. Thorpe (Showed why we recruited him and why he has been able to stay in the English Premiership for so long)
8. Ardron (Another elite player)
9. McRorie (Kicking and game management/his style compliments Underwood)
10. Underwood (I see him and McRorie as a pair/ditto Mack and Hirayama)
11. Hassler (Elite player, makes the gain line and takes players with him every time he touches the ball)
12. Braid (Good in defence, can also play a variety of positions and runs hard)
13. DTH (Best player we have, World Class player who unfortunately plays for Canada, I want him at 13 so he can touch the ball more and also for his playmaking ability)
14. Paris (One of the fastest players in France and plays in the Top 14, pretty self explanatory)
15. Evans (Good tactical kicking, good with ball in hand, I like him at fullback)

16. Piffero (Same as Barkwill)
17. Buydens (Has been poor but who else do we have?)
18. Woolridge (Stepped up huge and should be able to back up Marshall)
19. Olmstead (Really showed why he belongs on this team should be able to secure a pro contract)
20. Moonlight (Good player but I think Sevens has hurt his XV development, a couple of years ago I thought he was going to get a pro contract in Europe)
21. Mack (I love the energy he brings to the game, is prone to a brain fart occasionally though, I think he and Hirayama should pair together, I want to see these two play Romania)
22. Hirayama (Lots of energy, too bad we didn't start developing him a few years ago when we had the chance, might shine still though)
23. Pritchard (We might need his kicking and has shown that he can still play ball, big game player)

24. Illnicki (step up from Tiedemann)
25. Carpenter (3rd in the Hooker depth chart, may have played his last game for Canada barring injuries)
26. Hotson (Not flashy but just a guy who does his work and is reliable if anything)
27. Dala (impact player and gets around the pitch, I liked what I saw the last 20 min against the Americans)
28. White (Who else do we have)
29. Mackenzie (Quality player who plays a position where everyone we have is quality unfortunately, still makes the team and can be used off the bench)
30. Hearn (Utility player, only reason he makes this squad)
31. Blevins (Added to make 31 :D )

iul said:
Your lads are probably going to go home winless from the RWC innit?

I honestly haven't taken much away from this tournament. It became pretty clear that Crowley and RC were using this as a development tournament. I think you will see a radically different team come the 22nd of August. The team that ran out today was almost a Canada "A".

An injection of Marshall, Cudmore, Sinclair, Paris, DTH, Ardron, Pierce and it's pretty much a whole different team. Sinclair and Cudmore bring a level of physicality that isn't replicated otherwise. Pierce might eventually take the mould as well.

While I'm super agitated that we have gone 2-12 in our last fourteen games with lone victories over Namibia and Portugal. Many games we have lost have been highly competitive affairs. I think Crowley has realized some of our guys aren't up to snuff and he needed to blood some new players. I think come 22nd August, we will see a completely different team on the pitch, let's be honest, the past two games have been a Canada "A" in a lot of respects.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I don't post here at all anymore (spend most of my time at T2 Rugby Forum now, lots of Canuck fans, Google it) but I'll offer up what I posted over there with respect to the national team.

While I'm super agitated that we have gone 2-12 in our last fourteen games with lone victories over Namibia and Portugal. Many games we have lost have been highly competitive affairs. I think Crowley has realized some of our guys aren't up to snuff and he needed to blood some new players. I think come 22nd August, we will see a completely different team on the pitch, let's be honest, the past two games have been a Canada "A" in a lot of respects.

You act as though Canada have all of these great reserves just waiting to take the pitch.

John Moonlight way well be a starter. He stunk. Buydens. Same. All locks. Both hookers. Hearn. Who is 10? The team is a bit of a disaster and doesn't look at all improved from the 2011 World Cup! If anything it is possibly worse. Having guys play in 2nd tier English leagues and the 7s circuit isn't something notable. There aren't a bunch of studs waiting to take the field, though of course Canada's Top 15 are marginally better than these guys.

I find it bewildering the Canadian rugby talk never mentions grassroots rugby or the need to get better athletes playing rugby. On this front Rugby Canada is a dismal failure. Go to the Rugby Canada website. Is there any mention of the fact that people even play club rugby in this country? Nope. The USA Rugby website does. The Australian Rugby Union website does. But somehow in Canada there is no need to emphasize this. Rugby Canada is an old boys club and a joke and Canada will just slip even further down the rugby rankings until it is completely irrelevant.

You know what I received today? An email stating that members of my club, who have a game at noon, can't park at Twin Elm Rugby Park on August 22nd for their game. Because Rugby Canada has a game at 7 pm. They have to get dropped off at a facility 25 minutes outside of Ottawa. And our club OWNS the facility and our members raised over $100,000 to keep the place open. But Rugby Canada can't give us 10 parking spots? I don't even think we make money off of the game. This is so typical of Rugby Canada it is a joke. The grassroots that keep the game alive are always, always, neglected. If the sport wants to succeed then the base has to be strong. Hell I just went to the Uruguay Rugby Union page and they have a tab for "Get Into Rugby."

Will those canadian teams be able to become pro in 2017 and join the six north-american teams of pro rugby that will start in 2016?

Will those canadian teams be able to become pro in 2017 and join the six north-american teams of pro rugby that will start in 2016?

I'm assuming they'll be entirely new entities. I'd be very surprised if they were anything else.

Rock beating Ontario - in Ontario. Now that's news. I've played for both provinces, and IMHO, no way should Ontario be losing to Newfoundland, or an Atlantic rep side. Be interesting to see the rematch July 2nd. I hope the rock stuffs Ontario. But be disappointed too.

Whats the news about Canadian involvement in PRO Rugby? Doug Shroninger has only said that there are "discussions" ongoing...

Rock beating Ontario - in Ontario. Now that's news. I've played for both provinces, and IMHO, no way should Ontario be losing to Newfoundland, or an Atlantic rep side. Be interesting to see the rematch July 2nd. I hope the rock stuffs Ontario. But be disappointed too.

Ontario ran out comfortable winners in the rematch at the Swilers Complex. Went on to win the CRC over the BC Bears. Am I to assume that all capped players are excluded from the CRC for both Ontario and the Bears? I really do not follow Canadian International rugby, but did not recognize any names from the national team in the CRC final lineups.

Anscombe fired as coach of Canada. He'd be a great pickup for a side in my opinion. There might be a few Pro12 coaches looking over their shoulders soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/mark...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

His record is poor but that's because he Canadian union is so inept he had nothing to play with. In the only occasions he has anything like a first choice side of players in reasonable physical condition he scored three tries against Ireland and totally outplayed the US at home.

Canada now have no manager and must play an improving Uruguay home and away early next year to avoid the repechage. I'd make Uruguay big favourites now.

Latest posts