• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs South Africa

TO be fair our centres cant even manage that standard of play let alone our lock....

I think that's a little harsh.
Eastmond is one of the best passers in the Premiership, and I'd back Barrett to recognise the support and pop the pass out.

I think we should drop our wingers and replace them with flankers who can nearly kick a ball the way we are playing.

Was it Watson ? Ha, why wasn't Farrell giving Ashton that type of ball in all that time ? Ha.

Youngs, Ford, May, Eastmond , Barritt, Yarde , Watson
Care, Farrell, Brown

TO be fair our centres cant even manage that standard of play let alone our lock....

I disagree, Eastmond made a pass in even less space last week in exactly the same part of the pitch that could have led to a try had Brown not fumbled it. Eastmond has more vision than most of our players.

I enjoyed this match quite a bit I have to say - very physical as you'd expect from these two teams, but this time around I thought England really got the better of the Boks up front - they dominated the scrums and scored two tries off mauls, which was pretty impressive. Not that the boks were bad in that regard - that one maul that travelled 30 odd metres was pretty special. Other than the forwards though, I thought England were a bit poor with the ball in hand, making a lot of mistakes early on and often telegraphing their attack. The Springboks meanwhile pulled off a couple pretty handy moves, and their try at the start of the second half was a classic.

From an Australian perspective I'm a bit worried about the England and Ireland games, as our team look pretty poor in defence right now and still seem to be adjusting to all the changes in the coaching set-up.

Nah, we need to rob Sam Tompkins and Ryan Hall from rugby league and just give them the ball..

I enjoyed this match quite a bit I have to say - very physical as you'd expect from these two teams, but this time around I thought England really got the better of the Boks up front - they dominated the scrums and scored two tries off mauls, which was pretty impressive. Not that the boks were bad in that regard - that one maul that travelled 30 odd metres was pretty special. Other than the forwards though, I thought England were a bit poor with the ball in hand, making a lot of mistakes early on and often telegraphing their attack. The Springboks meanwhile pulled off a couple pretty handy moves, and their try at the start of the second half was a classic.

Having only watched highlights, I agree. That stood out for me as well. And I hate to say it but I think you guys will struggle with their forwards :p think England might rock your world in that regard. All of their scrums won, 1 lineout out of 19 won, the rolling mauls, the bruteness up front. Forwards lay the platform, and I can't see the Wallabies keeping up with them in that area. But that's for another thread at a later time.

I'll look forward to watching the full match. Could England not capitalize on multiple opportunities or something? On paper their stats are excellent. Most teams would kill for their territory and possession statistics. Also, 22 defenders beaten in comparison to South Africa's one. A 99% tackle success rate to SA's 85. 113 runs with the ball, which is more than SA. And it just goes on. At least they kept it in hand like I said they'd have to, but they also need to finish off opportunities!

Mike, that's interesting stuff but having watched the game live and the highlights its probably the perfect example of why stats based analysis of sport can lead to the wrong conclusions.

England created very very little. South Africa competed very well on the floor and Care adopted the old safety first ploy of waiting for the ball to be presented on a silver platter before passing it to Farrell who whilst average with quick ball is atrocious against a set defence. Lateral and pedestrian until Morgan and Ford made a difference.

Its actually the first time I've doubted Lancaster. I like what he has done in terms of addressing the team ethos / culture but he's obstinate beyond reason. Owen Farrell is wholehearted but cripplingly limited. I honestly believe that he also has 9's second guessing themselves as he's that bad they'd rather not pass to him in anything other than ideal circumstances.

I'm depressed today. This autumn should have been about sending a message. The wrong one has been sent. England have been beaten by a Boks team that did very little, they didn't need to.

Yeah, England didn't really miss chances as none were really created.
For all the set piece work we did well, we had poor ruck ball and then poor decisions/executions from the half backs.

I think we have a great set piece/tight 5, and very exciting outside backs - it's just linking the two together that isn't working whatsoever.

Haven't seen the entire game, as was watching Wales. From what I did see, however, I think England appear to have a plethora of quality second rows to call on, with the new boy (argh! Can't remember his name) very prominent.

Also, thought Mike Brown really let the sport down with his play acting after the South African fella did his utmost to place him carefully back on his feet after realising he'd 'hit' early.

Having only watched highlights, I agree. That stood out for me as well. And I hate to say it but I think you guys will struggle with their forwards :p think England might rock your world in that regard. All of their scrums won, 1 lineout out of 19 won, the rolling mauls, the bruteness up front. Forwards lay the platform, and I can't see the Wallabies keeping up with them in that area. But that's for another thread at a later time.

Yeah, neither can I at this stage to be honest. But then you just don't know with the Wallabies right now - they can be brilliant and diabolical in equal measure... To be hones though I'm more worried about Ireland at this stage.

Haven't seen the entire game, as was watching Wales. From what I did see, however, I think England appear to have a plethora of quality second rows to call on, with the new boy (argh! Can't remember his name) very prominent.

Also, thought Mike Brown really let the sport down with his play acting after the South African fella did his utmost to place him carefully back on his feet after realising he'd 'hit' early.

I think it was more of a 'wtf mate?! wtf!' moment, there's been worse culprits for play acting, naming no names...Habanna...

Not a great fan of Brown as a person but have to say he would be twacked by his mates and coaches these days if he did not try and win a penalty in whatever way possible ! Days of being an honourable chappie are long gone!!!

Happy with the win after last week, we weren't convincing in all areas but I dont think the conditions were condusive to slinging the ball all over the place. Unfortunately for the English if you're going to play a forward oriented style you need a fly half who is kicking well from hand but Farrel was just dreadful, that said we seemed to have no answer to the English maul, and their scrum was very dangerous indeed which were the two areas we were clearly dominated. Lambie was solid and had a one nice chip that lead to a try (willies offload was great as well) but otherwise didnt prove much I thought reinach was a big improvement, kicked well, ran the lines and even tackled well. As people have said neither team showered themselves in glory at this stage Id like us to just lick our wounds and make it you of the UK without sustaining any more casualties.

Lateral and pedestrian until Morgan and Ford made a difference.

Its actually the first time I've doubted Lancaster. I like what he has done in terms of addressing the team ethos / culture but he's obstinate beyond reason. Owen Farrell is wholehearted but cripplingly limited. I honestly believe that he also has 9's second guessing themselves as he's that bad they'd rather not pass to him in anything other than ideal circumstances.

Good first post, welcome!

Really? I'll pass full judgment when I re watch it, but all I remember Brown doing is raising his arms? I think of you've been tackled in the air, even by a player with enough sense to put you down properly, you've entitled to be a bit non plussed by it.

If he'd wanted to 'play act' be could simply have leant forwards as Le Roux was lowering him and made it look considerably more dangerous, probably forcing Walsh to go to the TMO which usually results in a card in these incidences.

Yeah... can't quite understand what it was you thought was "play acting"... he was tackled in the air and was visibly angry about it, he pushed Le Roux.

Glad it was only a penalty though - sensible decision.

Last edited:
That was an exiting game. The tides turned so much in this game at one stage the boks would attack be on attack , Then England would just turn it around and make me fear another loss. It was one of those games where you could not accurately determine the winner until just before the end.

Latest posts