• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs South Africa

Yeah because I want to waste my time going through an entire game to find incidents of poor reffing in a game that I thought was generally reffed ok to counter points of bias made on a South African blog because your feelings have been hurt. Not happening.

So, you instead decided to not watch the game, and see the mistakes mentioned.

Then while remaining arrogant, wasted your time to make a comment on a post for this thread about the game which was posted with the intention to give aid to certain questions raised.

What a way to go about!! Instead of making stupid comments, don't make comments at all. The post wasn't made to focus on biaseness or favouritism, it was made to assist readers on the forum.

Kaplan was a poor poor ref so I take what he says with a pinch of salt. The game was generally reffed well. Shocks me to say, I don't like Walsh but I thought he controlled this game well which doesn't happen often.

So, you instead decided to not watch the game, and see the mistakes mentioned.

Then while remaining arrogant, wasted your time to make a comment on a post for this thread about the game which was posted with the intention to give aid to certain questions raised.

What a way to go about!! Instead of making stupid comments, don't make comments at all. The post wasn't made to focus on biaseness or favouritism, it was made to assist readers on the forum.

Wtf are you on about? I have seen the full game... It's a bit much to imply someone else is arrogantly making assumptions when you come out with something like that.

Also I don't know why you have taken it so personally, I criticised Kaplan for being one sided and you decide to take it as me throwing an accusation at you. I didn't critcise you at all until you decided to make it personal.

I hate to rehash this thread, and I don't know if these points have been touched on already but I was reading this article and Liebenberg (former French int'l) had this to say about England's faults:

"If you look at the match stats they are quite frightening; 65% possession to England, 96% set piece completion, 92% ruck completion and only one tackle missed in 107 attempts! That's outstanding and reading those, you'd expect a 20-point winning margin.

"But their issue is efficiency, or rather lack of it. Break test rugby down and you should be looking for a minimum of seven points for every five minutes spent in the 22 of the opposition. There are no prizes for territorial and possession dominance and quite frankly the way England are finishing, most opponents are prepared to let them keep the ball and take their scores from turnovers and English mistakes," said Liebenberg.

"You then have to look at decision making. Let's examine Danny Care, a man with 50 caps; his pass for the intercept try may as well have been announced with a press release. He was guilty not only of stepping twice before passing, but once he had shuffled the ONLY option available was that pass. He'd closed off every other play that had existed earlier, so any centre worth his salt would have gambled on that interception.

"Further, England's one great strength is their push defence. They are exceptional in this area and press with great speed and momentum. However, the easiest way to unlock a push is with a chip and catch or grubber kick, exactly the play SA made. The defending scrum-half is the key man here and should be corner flagging behind the push to sweep the kick. Care had a key role there and his absence led to another Springbok score," noted Liebenberg, a man famed for the organization and power of his defence.

"South Africa need a lot of credit for their rugby IQ. They identified the weakness in the push defence and they were also happy to let England bosh the ball up all day safe in the knowledge that England's attacking impotence and lack of tactical awareness would let them back into the game.

"With ten tests before the World Cup, England will be very, very worried. And the biggest concern will be the lack of shape and rugby IQ that's blighting their game," remarked Liebenberg.

source: Planet Rugby

Not my opinion necessarily, but this has been discussed extensively it seems on this thread, where England stands, and I just mean to say I feel ppl have exaggerated quite greatly the trouble England are in. And if anything, again, it's flattering because it implies ppl all thought England were *that* great (that they're surprised England couldn't beat the All-Blacks or Springboks).

Not my opinion necessarily, but this has been discussed extensively it seems on this thread, where England stands, and I just mean to say I feel ppl have exaggerated quite greatly the trouble England are in. And if anything, again, it's flattering because it implies ppl all thought England were *that* great (that they're surprised England couldn't beat the All-Blacks or Springboks).
Very difficult to argue with Liebenburg's assessment. England appear to be going back to the days when the backs appeared to have no idea. The dink over the top is a good riposte to the rush defence. League have been doing that, or used to, over 30 years ago. They just don't think smart.

i like him alot and especially, in this article, the way he doesn't try to wheel out one clear cut polemicist argument - he presents the fact that he feels conflicted - i.e one one hand we've lost laods in a row, the other hand they were all against the best opposition some down under with depleted squads.

I entirely agree. We've put lots of pressure on Ford over time by not starting him and not starting him, and now there's this spotlight, but we're surrounding him with pretty hostile adversarial conditions where as Healey said we could at least try and give him some midfield familiarity. I know Eastmond is injured but I rate Joseph and hate that he is excluded. I also don't buy the argument that Ford will be comfortable because he's played in this way with Farrell before, since this was a while ago and at a different level of rugby altogether.

I also think that while Vunipola is clearly out of sorts, he's not being used well. Its far to obvious and he's being lined up. It needs to be mixed up so that defenders are uncertain when he's going to be taking it up.

@ratsapprentice has Eastmond been named in the Bath team?

Healey says he's gone back to Bath, but on rest week or as a contributing player? I thought he was concussed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts