• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Ireland vs Australia

Honestly, I think that both SOB and Healy only have one or two more campaigns in them unfortunately. I just hope that one of them is the next WC, same can be said for Fitz although that's less likely.

Whatever about Healy I seriously don't see SOB being back at what he was. Fitz and Earls will be guys you'll get 9/10 games a season out of. But I think that SOB will be like Ferris. He will keep trying but keep breaking down before calling quits.

Like while I agree with some stuff but on opposite side. Those dinky kicks are part of Schmidts gameplan and it's going well. To say that SA team was shadow of rugby championship is BS though. That was the team that beatNZ and we simply didn't let them perform. I don't think anyone will get too ahead of themselves as form goes up and down Ireland deserve credit and are going I right direction. I for 1 have been critical of Schmidt and have always said he struggles to beat big teams etc with Ireland but I can admit I was wrong and he deserves huge credit as does his coaching team. I'm sure also he won't allow any player rest on their laurels and well bar POC Murray and Sexton I think every other player will think they have to perform to keep spot. Fact is while Healy has been out McGrath and 2 Munster lads are going up levels fast and are all getting to international level so the heat will be on. Also SOB hasn't played consistently due to injuries in a long time so can he reach his old levels and he is in a battle as back row is getting more and more competitive by the month.

I give a lot of credit and with people around me I reiterate a lot about how much difference it makes to have a good coach. It will be very interesting how the once first class players slot back in when these fellas have been going well. I still think Healy and O'Brien are better than their counter parts but I think we should keep Zebo at 11. He's performed very well. Defensively solid, chases and contests kicks well, attacks without being turned over. He's good. D'Arcy should be let go. We have too many young midfield options to ignore now. Fvck the experience argument. He's past it. What you say about SA I think is BS though. They produced quite a few moments of play that could have put themselves in try scoring positions but they kept knocking the ball on. I remember sighing with relief quite a few times when they did because I knew with continuity they would score. Please don't tell me that performance is what beat the ABs. Ireland have played well this November, but the opposition hasn't looked as dynamic as what I saw in the Rugby Championship. I also think Ireland need to expand their game beyond 10 man rugby because across the midfield we don't provide much.

I give a lot of credit and with people around me I reiterate a lot about how much difference it makes to have a good coach. It will be very interesting how the once first class players slot back in when these fellas have been going well. I still think Healy and O'Brien are better than their counter parts but I think we should keep Zebo at 11. He's performed very well. Defensively solid, chases and contests kicks well, attacks without being turned over. He's good. D'Arcy should be let go. We have too many young midfield options to ignore now. Fvck the experience argument. He's past it. What you say about SA I think is BS though. They produced quite a few moments of play that could have put themselves in try scoring positions but they kept knocking the ball on. I remember sighing with relief quite a few times when they did because I knew with continuity they would score. Please don't tell me that performance is what beat the ABs. Ireland have played well this November, but the opposition hasn't looked as dynamic as what I saw in the Rugby Championship. I also think Ireland need to expand their game beyond 10 man rugby because across the midfield we don't provide much.
But why would they do that if we don't have the team to so it or if it doesn't suit us? Schmidt has coached Ireland to beat other teams and it has worked. We played expansive stuff against Scotland, Italy and France (at times) because that was how to beat them and we didn't have the wings to execute it against England which is why we lost. Ireland aren't like New Zealand, we're more than happy to win ugly just take a look at any successful soccer team we've had. If we'd tried to play an expansive game today we'd have lost we may have scored 30-40 points but they'd have scored around 50. Winning rugby matches is what we're doing at the moment and as far as I'm concerned that's better than playing good rugby a la Eddie O'Sullivan.

Honestly, I think that both SOB and Healy only have one or two more campaigns in them unfortunately.

Agreed.

Indeed, I fear they might have done all or the best of their campaigning already. :(

Well I'll start at top
- Healy and SOB are better on form but now they can't live off the past. They've to earn their slots back as does anyone else.
- As BG8 etc will agree there's been no one louder here than me saying Zebo should be a starter.
- Agree re D'arcy poor last week and again today. Madigan I thought completely outshone him and I think he may have a role there.
- If SA didn't knock on they would've won? Well I slated Schmidt before saying nearlys aren't good enough it's still a loss. Well this is other side of coin. And Ireland deserve the credit as their defence was superb and SA even conceded they were by far the 2nd best team that day. Yes SA did well in Rugby championship but that doesn't mean much now as it was same team (their strongest) vs Irish (missing a few).

I agree they may have to expand but I'll give Schmidt time. He experimented and is building new centre partnership so deserves credit but in a results driven business he produced. Winning ugly is better than loosing playing beautiful.
Also being bias I thought Dave Foley did well coming on delighted for him after that tosser Neil Francis comments about him last night.

Last edited:
But why would they do that if we don't have the team to so it or if it doesn't suit us? Schmidt has coached Ireland to beat other teams and it has worked. We played expansive stuff against Scotland, Italy and France (at times) because that was how to beat them and we didn't have the wings to execute it against England which is why we lost. Ireland aren't like New Zealand, we're more than happy to win ugly just take a look at any successful soccer team we've had. If we'd tried to play an expansive game today we'd have lost we may have scored 30-40 points but they'd have scored around 50. Winning rugby matches is what we're doing at the moment and as far as I'm concerned that's better than playing good rugby a la Eddie O'Sullivan.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we played like that versus South Africa and Australia because that was the game plan. If we do have the ability to broaden our game plan and spread the ball I hope we see it. The style we are playing at the moment can be negated so I hope what you are saying regarding variability is true.

- If SA didn't knock on they would've won? Well I slated Schmidt before saying nearlys aren't good enough it's still a loss. Well this is other side of coin. And Ireland deserve the credit as their defence was superb and SA even conceded they were by far the 2nd best team that day. Yes SA did well in Rugby championship but that doesn't mean much now as it was same team (their strongest) vs Irish (missing a few).

It was a brilliant win. The occasion of it all was just brilliant. But a part of my brain recognised that SA weren't at their best.

I don't want to be the guy who is a complete down buzz. I'm bloody ecstatic about our November series haha but we have a lot to improve on. I'm just wondering if we actually can.

Last edited:
Maybe you're right. Maybe we played like that versus South Africa and Australia because that was the game plan. If we do have the ability to broaden our game plan and spread the ball I hope we see it. The style we are playing at the moment can be negated so I hope what you are saying regarding variability is true.

It was a brilliant win. The occasion of it all was just brilliant. But a part of my brain recognised that SA weren't at their best.

I don't want to be the guy who is a complete down buzz. I'm bloody ecstatic about our November series haha but we have a lot to improve on. I'm just wondering if we actually can.

I agree SA weren't at best but part of that was due to Ireland not letting them. It's rare teams stay at that level every game.

I agree SA weren't at best but part of that was due to Ireland not letting them. It's rare teams stay at that level every game.

True. Got me thinking. Do NH and SH teams suffer fatigue at the same time of the year? They've just played Super Rugby and the Rugby Championship. Would we be as tired?

Only just seen the highlights, but it looked like the Wallabies played some pretty good footy for a lot of that, and if not for a telegraphed pass and some dropped ball could have got up. Well done to Ireland though - this must be the first time they've beaten South Africa and the Wallabies on an EOYT.

Only just seen the highlights, but it looked like the Wallabies played some pretty good footy for a lot of that, and if not for a telegraphed pass and some dropped ball could have got up. Well done to Ireland though - this must be the first time they've beaten South Africa and the Wallabies on an EOYT.
2006 I think... Hopefully we can start doing it more than once a decade!

Well done Ireland. Haven't seen the match but I would have to say this win really solidifies their place as third best in the world. (Technically behind South Africa, but as they've shown - they can beat them).

They are the best thing going in the North by far. Wales and England just aren't on the save wavelength at the moment. The way I worked it out, Ireland should face Argentina in the quarters next year at the World Cup. A match they would surely win. Anyway, they better hope they win their pool over France otherwise they get to face the All Blacks instead in the quarters. Anyway, assuming the former scenario happens - they'd then move on to play England in the semis (provided England win their pool). Would be interesting. I reckon Ireland are capable of those two objectives. England at home with a raucous atmosphere would be tough though. Not sure how dazzling Ireland's record outside of Ireland actually is.

we made a fair few unforced errors aswell

good game all in all

McGrath: Solid in the scrum and worked hard.
Best: Some excellent play in the loose as usual but his throwing wasn't good enough.
Ross: Tough day in the scrums for Ross. Is he past it now?
POC: MOTM and put in his usual workrate.
Toner: Wasn't at the races at all. I've stood up for him before but this was an awful game from him.
POM: Put in a good shift with some steals.
Ruddock: Worked hard but was a bit slow to the breakdown. 7 isn't his natural position
Heaslip: Worked hard but didn't do anything with the ball.

As a whole the pack didn't play well. Individually they were alright but as a unit they struggled at times. It was only in the second half when they tightened up the game, they played better.

Murray: He had a bad game. Worked hard but his usual accuracy left him down.
Sexton: Kicked his penalties well but another who had a bad game. Aimless kicking which was also inaccurate.
Zebo: Made a few mistakes which is a few too many. His intercepted offload changed the game.
D'Arcy: Offers very little. A great servant to Irish rugby but his time is well up now and there are other options.
Henshaw: Battled well and had a few good moments. Caught out once or twice but he is learning.
Bowe: Played well. As usual everything he did was done well.
Kearney: He had a good game and almost got that drop goal. He lacks creativity overall but deserves his place after 2 good performances this autumn.

The backs were outplayed. That was partly down to Australia putting them under a lot of pressure.

Ireland is in a good position now. Not playing well and still winning with plenty of players to come back in. I certainly wouldn' be getting carried away yet. They've moved up a level but other teams might now be starting to work them out. There are plenty of options out there for Schmit to explore so thats what I hope will happen for the 6 nations. Time to move past the obsession with experience.

...............they'd then move on to play England in the semis (provided England win their pool). .

HaHaHa!!!! You are having a laugh....................Wales and Australia are more likely to top the pool with England coming a distant third on the form they have at this time!!

Congrats Ireland we'll played, can't see any other team winning the next six nations but Ireland based off these performances, aussie was dangerous even though Phipps was absolutely garbage apart from his two finishes. Genia needs to find some form quick because Phipps is not up to it at this level,not even close.

Despite the defeat, Wallabies showed some interesting things, they are still alive, in the first half seemed that Ireland would win by 50 points, but then rallied the score playing an amazing running rugby. Foley failed easy kicks, the only reason why he's valued above QC is his effectiveness. Without that, Cooper must be at the starting XV

McGrath: Solid in the scrum and worked hard.
Best: Some excellent play in the loose as usual but his throwing wasn't good enough.
Ross: Tough day in the scrums for Ross. Is he past it now?
POC: MOTM and put in his usual workrate.
Toner: Wasn't at the races at all. I've stood up for him before but this was an awful game from him.
POM: Put in a good shift with some steals.
Ruddock: Worked hard but was a bit slow to the breakdown. 7 isn't his natural position
Heaslip: Worked hard but didn't do anything with the ball.

As a whole the pack didn't play well. Individually they were alright but as a unit they struggled at times. It was only in the second half when they tightened up the game, they played better.

Murray: He had a bad game. Worked hard but his usual accuracy left him down.
Sexton: Kicked his penalties well but another who had a bad game. Aimless kicking which was also inaccurate.
Zebo: Made a few mistakes which is a few too many. His intercepted offload changed the game.
D'Arcy: Offers very little. A great servant to Irish rugby but his time is well up now and there are other options.
Henshaw: Battled well and had a few good moments. Caught out once or twice but he is learning.
Bowe: Played well. As usual everything he did was done well.
Kearney: He had a good game and almost got that drop goal. He lacks creativity overall but deserves his place after 2 good performances this autumn.

The backs were outplayed. That was partly down to Australia putting them under a lot of pressure.

Ireland is in a good position now. Not playing well and still winning with plenty of players to come back in. I certainly wouldn' be getting carried away yet. They've moved up a level but other teams might now be starting to work them out. There are plenty of options out there for Schmit to explore so thats what I hope will happen for the 6 nations. Time to move past the obsession with experience.

I think it's harsh on a few. Zebo made mistakes but did a lot right. Murray and Sexton were quiet but certainly not poor. They made massive defensive contribution. Both props deserve huge pats on backs for doing the 80min shift. Heaslip and Ruddock along with POM did massive unseen donkey work too.

Credit where credit is due. Both teams performed like it was a world cup final and it was down to the team who played an 80 minute game. I think people are very critical of the irish team and indeed individual players. Yes, there were some mistakes. A lot of things need fixing. But it's not a crime to be happy over what was a great win for the irish. Have a look at what was achieved (the defence in particular) and enjoy the talent on this Irish team while we are now match-free until February. Leave the criticism up to the coach (when he recovers from appendicitis), and take it all in. Irish rugby, along with Australian rugby, is heading to a good place. We're not there yet, nor are Australia, but we need to be thankful for a battle and for being able to participate in a battle. Fair play to both teams. If they were to play again tomorrow, it could be a different story.

Peter O'Mahony made 18 tackles missing 1. Zebo made 10 missing 0.
BG8 can hardly say POM goes hiding now double figure tackles in both games

Also for people that say Zebo doesn't work hard he's winning most turnovers in team last few games and beating most defenders. It doesn't tell whole story but shows he is going well. Ruddocks stats also are impressive and again the unseen work was what they were at today.

Last edited:

Latest posts