• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Ireland vs Australia

HaHaHa!!!! You are having a laugh....................Wales and Australia are more likely to top the pool with England coming a distant third on the form they have at this time!!

Normally I would agree but I wouldn't be so sure about Wales. Sure there is talent, but they also can't beat Australia or New Zealand. And when they traveled to Twickers this year they lost to the English. Wales had a lot of their top players there today - England still have a lot of guys missing and will only get stronger (you would think). Plus home advantage. When it comes to the world cup, who honestly knows but that's my prediction ;)

Peter O'Mahony made 18 tackles missing 1. Zebo made 10 missing 0.
BG8 can hardly say POM goes hiding now  double figure tackles in both games 

Never said he goes hiding, just that his tackle count wasn't good enough up to now but fair play to him for upping it.

I'll never understand why we need to go negative immediately after something like this. It wasn't our greatest ever performance but we still managed to get the win against a side that did play well, that's a good sign imo before we'd have lost that and probably lost badly but we kept going. Even the players are going to enjoy it for one night at least, if we can't enjoy the highs we're doing something wrong as fans.

People have already spoken about SO'B and Healy and we do know the impact they can bring but they are hardly the only ones we can bring. There's a very good chance Moore will be ahead of Ross by the WC at the very least he'll let us take Ross off after 50 instead of forcing him to play 80. We all know Henderson could bring us something special, especially off the bench in the seeningly unlikely event that Donncha Ryan also comes back fully fit he could be very good for us. Chris Henry would have made a big difference yesterday as an actual 7 and he seems to be recovering well. We have a multitude of 12's coming through who could make a big difference to how we play never minding the fact that D'arcy has shown this season that he can play a lot better than that. Then there's the quality wingers we're missing including our player of the 6N (although of course the ones who played this series didn't do too bad) they all offer more options to Schmidt and the more options he has the better he can adapt our gameplan to situations.

Never said he goes hiding, just that his tackle count wasn't good enough up to now but fair play to him for upping it.

I'll never understand why we need to go negative immediately after something like this. It wasn't our greatest ever performance but we still managed to get the win against a side that did play well, that's a good sign imo before we'd have lost that and probably lost badly but we kept going. Even the players are going to enjoy it for one night at least, if we can't enjoy the highs we're doing something wrong as fans.

People have already spoken about SO'B and Healy and we do know the impact they can bring but they are hardly the only ones we can bring. There's a very good chance Moore will be ahead of Ross by the WC at the very least he'll let us take Ross off after 50 instead of forcing him to play 80. We all know Henderson could bring us something special, especially off the bench in the seeningly unlikely event that Donncha Ryan also comes back fully fit he could be very good for us. Chris Henry would have made a big difference yesterday as an actual 7 and he seems to be recovering well. We have a multitude of 12's coming through who could make a big difference to how we play never minding the fact that D'arcy has shown this season that he can play a lot better than that. Then there's the quality wingers we're missing including our player of the 6N (although of course the ones who played this series didn't do too bad) they all offer more options to Schmidt and the more options he has the better he can adapt our gameplan to situations.

Well fair enough but as I always said just because he doesn't go to double figures doesn't mean he's not contributing but he is a top player and can do whatever it takes. I always knew he was nuts but when I seen him squaring up to Will Skelton and not taking step back it confirmed it.

Regards second point I 100% agree. Considering we were cautious before the series due to injuries etc we should be delighted with performance.

Key thing with Ross is he is in decline but we still need him to play role. We need Moore to get fit again and Furlong hopefully to kick on in next few weeks. Nathan White will come in to mix too. As Forrest I couldn't agree more but Ryan and Henderson will have battles too as Foley is improving rapidly. Toner played poor yesterday but has been good consistently and agree regards Henry but please God make sure he gets right before he returns. His health is more important.
D'arcy I think is probably on the slide but Madigan really laid down a marker yesterday and I think JJ Hanrahan may challenge over next 12 months not forgetting Olding or Payne.
Wingers were perfect this series but again hot competition for places when you consider Earls and Luke Fitz (2 former Lions) and Trimble (current player of year) were out. McFadden also is a possibility so Schmidt certainly has options but motivation for players shouldn't be an issue either

I don't think anyone isn't enjoying this performance? I think everyone has expressed it was a great game and those who are Irish are delighted with the win. Doesn't mean to say we can't look at where we should be improving.

I don't think anyone isn't enjoying this performance? I think everyone has expressed it was a great game and those who are Irish are delighted with the win. Doesn't mean to say we can't look at where we should be improving.

Coulda fooled me reading this thread!

I missed the match. Congratulations and remember, good teams win when playing poorly. Up to Schmidt to find some incision now to start rounding things off and I'll throw out an early prediction - McCloskey to be involved in the spring.

Aaaaaannnnd Fitzgerald pulls out of the Leinster match before it starts. Just ridiculous at this stage.

just watching the game, the aussie commentators really have no clue about this irish team.

Good win by Ireland, it's quite a good game. the difference in intensity between this and Englands games has been stark, the Aviva has turned into a very good home venue, really intense atmosphere.

I watched the match back again and here are my ratings

7 McGrath
6 Best Got some turnovers but his throwing is costly
6 Ross
5 Toner His worst game for Ireland
8 POC
8 POM My motm, edging POC.
7 Ruddock
6 Heaslip
6 Murray
6 Sexton
7 Zebo
5 D'Arcy
7 Henshaw
8 Bowe
6 Kearney Solid but missed a few tackles.

I'd give a lot of credit to Australia for closing down all of Irelands space and being in the backs' faces throughout the match.

just watching the game, the aussie commentators really have no clue about this irish team.

SH players and fans watch very little to no NH rugby.

Kearney 6? He was my man of the match to be honest, his work in the air and kick returns got us out of so much trouble. I'd bump Sexton up one for his place kicking and Heaslip up a couple, that's another one that's strange to me. Zebo could be a 6 arguably as well but for his try.

Kearney 6? He was my man of the match to be honest, his work in the air and kick returns got us out of so much trouble. I'd bump Sexton up one for his place kicking and Heaslip up a couple, that's another one that's strange to me. Zebo could be a 6 arguably as well but for his try.

Kearney and Zebo both 7 in my eyes. The pack won this game and that's where the plaudits are deserved. Kearney did ok was good enough but pack were the backbone of this.

Maybe Kearney deserves a 7. He missed a few tackles so thats why I took a point off. Zebo made a few mistakes too so fair enough.
Heaslip was about a 6. He was fairly average.
I did bump Sexton up 1. Some kicks from hand were poor. Himself and Murray didn't have a great game.

Latest posts