• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Wales vs South Africa

Well, from the Stormers I can see AC resting Vermeulen. Schalk (at least not along with Vermeulen), Etzebeth, Malherbe and De Allende though I expect he'll push as much as he can as we don't have quality back-up IMO, particularly with JdV out injured for the entire SR season. That's assuming these players don't get injured.

Apart from those, Senatla, Taute, JdJ, Ntubeni and if he can recapture form possibly Kolisi are the only others I could imagine pushing for a spot in the Bok extended squad. Kleyn, Kobus van Wyk and Kolbe with miniscule chances.

It does not look good for Jean de Villiers. Got this from Sport 24 so I don't know how reliable it is, but this is what the doctors said:

"In my humble opinion, Jean would never be able to return to his normal level of rugby," said Verrier. "He may be able to play again, but his knee will never be normal again. For that reason, I would be very surprised if he ever represents his country again. I haven't seen the scans on Jean but I strongly suspect that he tore the most important ligaments in his knee."

It does not look good for Jean de Villiers. Got this from Sport 24 so I don't know how reliable it is, but this is what the doctors said:

"In my humble opinion, Jean would never be able to return to his normal level of rugby," said Verrier. "He may be able to play again, but his knee will never be normal again. For that reason, I would be very surprised if he ever represents his country again. I haven't seen the scans on Jean but I strongly suspect that he tore the most important ligaments in his knee."

You must use the link:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Jeans-career-may-be-over-surgeon-20141204

It's bit of a kak article to be honest. This surgeon says that he doubts if Jean will be able to play ever agai, but in the same sentence he hasn't seen the scans on Jean's knee.

Poor guy, he has had such disappointments with World cups. Now he was set to captain a Bok campaign and then this. My heart really goes out to the guy- if ever a rugby 'deserved' better..

*cough* Time to persuade Jaque Fourie to come back and play rugby from retirement.

(Maybe Os Du Randt as well)

(Maybe)

*cough* Time to persuade Jaque Fourie to come back and play rugby from retirement.

(Maybe)

That is actually a serious consideration. He is only 31 years old now. IMHO he still has about 3 years left in him. If Victor can, then anyone can.

(Maybe)

That is actually a serious consideration. He is only 31 years old now. IMHO he still has about 3 years left in him. If Victor can, then anyone can.

Well, Fourie is 2 years younger than Conrad Smith. I think the issue is he is comitted to his Japanese club and we just don't know what he offers ATM and in what sort of condition he is.

Sadly I fear even once the 8 months is up for Jean, I don't think it'll be as simple as "oh it's been 8 months, now I can freely run around on it". Dislocations to the knee and those sort of horrendous injuries stay with you and effect your ability; I have had a family member go through that one! I guess we'll see what happens. I'd just be very surprised that when/if he comes back his acceleration is anywhere near the level it has been.

Surely South Africa have enough talent to get some fresh faces in there though? Not sure if wheeling out Dad's Army is the way to go. If it were any other nation who was desperate, I might understand, but this is the second best side in the world.

I'd expect one of Frans Steyn or Damian de Allende to slot in at 12 or for Serfontein to move back to 12 and Juan de Jongh to come in at 13. I too can't see JdV make the RWC. Steyn might not be a fresh face to the Bok setup but the lad is still quite young and apparently has shed 10kgs so I'm willing to back him and Serfontein as our best center combo.

Latest posts