• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup

^^^ I sense an emotion. Perhaps sadness?

Looks like it was a pretty high scoring match. France scored 39 points in that final quarter, but it wasn't quite enough. I see the 3rd placed playoff is tonight (vs Lithuania). I don't know what to expect from France this match (given the close loss they have just endured), though to be honest I never know what to expect from France....

I expect USA will win the final by at least 20 points, perhaps more like 30.....

Let's clarify some things.

Spain...oh oh. What a shame.

No excuses. France was best than Spain. Period.

Now...Why?

Coach staff. Head coach, Orenga, is an ex player of very limited talent on the court but a good one at climbing above the corporate ladder to the ceiling in our basketball governative body (FEB) FEB endorses the guy, the guy not only enjoys it, but even bites the hype. He starts to believe in himself.

As the world cup would be celebrated on home ground, FEB makes an effort to get every NBA player. Succeed...everyone who counts, is in. But...are they enough? Of course not. And now is when troubles start; some good players of the best league after NBA (ACB) are out. Some, are in. Ok, that's how it works.

Tournament starts and some flows are easely seen; lack of deffensive efforts and, specially in the game against Senegal, rebound game. Out game too...three pointers don't aim at the rim, but everyhwere else. Experiments like setting up a point guard (Calderon) as shooting guard, position where he's no good at. And the cherry on a pie...seen throughout the tournament; three players never leave the bench. Who? The ones who could fix it up. I'm talking of Felipe Reyes, a very good deffensive player and rebound taker on the power forward zone. I'm talking of Abrines a more focused than Rudy Fernandez at 2/3 with a good 3p percentage. Or Victor Claver, a 3/4 where we lacked height...he's 2.06.

Of course, with that landscape (we had it coming, everyone saw it before) aficionados are asking, yelling, for his resignation

Bronze. Huge effort again from France. My word, this team could be so, so fkng good with consistency...
Typical tournament for us. We beat Spain in Spain with all their players and then fall against Serbia because we didn't play in the 1st half and then played the best bball you've seen all tournament (barring US) in the 4th qtr but too little too late, not enough over the course of 40min.

I'm hugely, hugely relieved we showed our true meddle this time though, and after our Euro Cup last summer, this is pretty fkng sweet. Really, really wanted to see how far France could've taken the US...France played the best bball in stretches of the tournament besides Team USA, but surely not the most consistent.

Well that was easy for USA (as expected). Not much more to say about that.

France's performance surprised me somewhat (I felt they have relied very heavily on Parker in the past), but they obviously have the makings of a very good side.

Anyways..... Good talk Big Ewis. Good talk. Now back to the only sport that really matters........

Yeah that was a laugher. Downright SCARY...just when everybody was saying how vulnerable and accessible the US had got gradually, and how teams would start knocking them on the regular at int'l events; they don't field nearly their best players, all that...they go on and pulverize their final's opponent like they were pestiferous vermin to rid the world from. S-C-A-R-Y. When you think their best 5 was left at home with: 1.CP3 2.Kobe/Wade 3.King James 4.Kevin Love/Blake Griffin 5.Dwight Howard, and no Kevin Durant, Westbrook in all that...yikes. Just fkng yikes !

For France, yes a very pleasant surprise. No longer Parker-dependent. Good on them, very good on them. Darwin, good talk indeed, a bit surprised some of those other interested in bball didn't show up...now yes, back to *the other sport that matters* ;)

well yeah booooring, Argentina were shiit !! If you were French you wouldn't see it that way. It's a shame though, I would've really wanted to see Spain all hyped up if they'd made the final, before the big day, like, yeah they'll beat Team USA I can feel it, it's their year this year, and they're at home, the Gasols are on fire, and Ibaka, and...and fkng BAM Spain gets dismantled-annihilated-hammered ass bish sent into outer space fkd by like 60 and everybody stfu once and for all...but unfortunately that didn't happen...France had to go and eliminate Spain from the tournament again...:rolleyes:

well yeah booooring, Argentina were shiit !! If you were French you wouldn't see it that way. It's a shame though, I would've really wanted to see Spain all hyped up if they'd made the final, before the big day, like, yeah they'll beat Team USA I can feel it, it's their year this year, and they're at home, the Gasols are on fire, and Ibaka, and...and fkng BAM Spain gets dismantled-annihilated-hammered ass bish sent into outer space fkd by like 60 and everybody stfu once and for all...but unfortunately that didn't happen...France had to go and eliminate Spain from the tournament again...:rolleyes:

I don't like basketball

Boooooooooooooring

:p

Pretty nice short mix of France's run:

Well done guys. Really well done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts