• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 ITM Cup] Predictions

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
I know interest in the NPC has waned on here in the last few years, but I figure it would be good to get a bit of discussion going before the season kicks off in a week!

I think we could be in for a very interesting season.

Premiership Predictions

1 Auckland (last year 3rd)
If they can get some good front-foot ball then they should be nigh unstoppable. Their backline is the best in the competition - possibly the best we've seen at this level in a long time.

2 Canterbury (1st)
Purely because I think we've seen enough of Canterbury over the last few years I've dropped them down a peg to second. Like Auckland they have a great backline (perhaps lacking in flair a bit) and should be in the final, providing they don't have too many injuries.

3 Taranaki (6th)
I think Taranaki will have a good year after last season's disappointment. Bringing in guys like Charlie Ngatai and Marty Mckenzie should see their solid forward player rewarded with a few more tries this year which is where they really fell down in 2013 with the fewest in the competition (14).

4 Tasman (1st in Championship)
Across the park Tasman have a very good squad, many of who will have benefited from a season of Super Rugby. Providing that Marty Bankes is returns from injury early in the season they should be good enough to push for a top four finish.

5 Counties Manukau (4th)
Counties will throw everything they have into their Ranfurly Shield matches, which could have a negative effect later in the season, particularly if they lose the Shield. Like Tasman they have a good all-round squad, and it will be important that Baden Kerr is injury-free.

6 Wellington (2nd)
After last year's fall at the last hurdle Wellington lost a fair few of their seasoned players - guys like Alapati Leuia and Faifili Levave. Add to that players who have relocated elsewhere, such as Lima Sopoaga and all signs point to Wellington regressing a bit this year, especially if some of their key players remain injured. A poor start to see their season crash before it ever really gets going.

7 Waikato (5th)
The starting XV for Waikato's final pre-season match (where the coach has said he is putting out his top team) has an average age of under 22 - presumably the youngest in the competition. Packed with potential and likely future superstars, this season will be a time for Waikato to rebuild. It is probably we will see Waikato relegated this year, but it will be very interesting to see where this squad is another two or three!

Championship Predictions

1 Hawke's Bay (2nd)
Hawke's Bay have recruited well in the off-season, bringing in stalwarts such as Matt Berquist and Jason Shoemark. The team is lacking in experience in the front row, but they will be hard to knock over regardless. Ihaia West's time with the Blues will have helped immensely.

2 North Harbour (7th)
Last year was terrible, but with some good recruiting Harbour should see themselves contesting for top spot in the Championship in 2014. Their backline should be very potent, and is probably second to only Hawke's Bay, plus their pre-season results have been very promising. Once again the requirement will be for their forwards to get fast ball to allow their backline to attack.

3 Otago (3rd)
Otago will likely make the semis by virtue of being not as terrible as the teams beneath them, as opposed to them having any real strengths. That might be a bit harsh, they do perform well as a team and are certainly a better team than the sum of their parts, but it doesn't look like there's a whole lot for Dunedinites to get excited about this year (except a Shield challenge or two!).

4 Bay of Plenty (7th in Premiership)
In contrast to the teams above them, Bay of Plenty had a relatively poor off-season and it's hard to see them making any great improvements from last year. They likely won't be flattened by any teams, but their backline leaves much to be desired and it wouldn't be surprising to see them come out of 2014 as bottom try scorers.

5 Manawatu (5th)
Like Otago, Manawatu tend to perform to a higher standard than their team list implies. They have over performed for the last few years, and their home crowds should get them over the line in a few games where they are unfancied by the rest of the country.

6 Southland (4th)
It's not a good look when your premium players start looking elsewhere to play their rugby. Losing both Marty Mckenzie and Robbie Robinson will ensure that Southland finish near the bottom of the competition, and will likely be competing with Bay of Plenty for the bottom try-scorers tag.

7 Northland (6th)
Northland's big name signing in the off-season was Winston Stanley. That says it all, really.

I think Manawatu are a good chance for the semi's in the championship - although Harbour and Hawke's Bay look the class of the division based solely on squad names.

Our pack always goes bloody well, and hopefully the lineout isn't the nightmare it was last season. Eves, Foreman and Fia is a pretty good front row. We finally have some size in the midfield to go along with Emery, who will be much better this season. Jade Te Rure will be better after his first season last year and I'm hearing / reading good things about NEwton Tudreu sho is an absolute speed machine but was incredibly raw last season.

Jamie Booth had huge wraps on him until he destroyed his knee but is back and apparently looking like his old self which is awesome news. If the backs can get over the advantage line consistently we will be hard to beat I reckon. In the last couple of years the backs just sucked on attack so we could only get ground up the guts through the forwards, but that becomes predictable relatively quickly. Our backline defense was also horrendous but the size in midfield should help that a bit hopefully.

It's kind of ironic that after I've been asking for it all season, finally Andrew Horrell and Robbie Fruean will be starting in the midfield tomorrow... for Hawke's Bay.

I reckon this could be the year that Canterbury may not win. This is perhaps a brave call - they have won the last 6 in a row - but I think they are missing a number of key players this season. The likes of Cory Flynn and George Whitelock have been key members of the Canterbury pack these last few years and I feel they will be missed. I assume Joe Moody has joined the AB's squad on a more permanent basis now which leaves them very short at LH prop, and they don't have the loose-forward depth they have had in the past (with G Whitelock and Taufua gone).

I feel their biggest loss this season is Andy Ellis, as he is a brilliant player at this level. Heinz has some skills, but doesn't have Ellis's ability to control a game. The Canterbury backline actually looks more dangerous than the Crusaders backline - Keresoma, Osbourne, and McNicholl could potentially form a lethal back three - but I'm not sure they will be as effective as in the past without Ellis controlling the game from halfback.

Ok, so I've changed my mind. Canterbury will win again. They always do.

As has been mentioned the Auckland side looks very handy, though I do think they are lacking some experience up front. The backline does look very exciting though!

My prediction:

Premiership
1. Canterbury
2. Auckland
3. Counties
4. Taranaki
5. Wellington
6. Tasman
7. Waikato

Championship
1. Hawke's Bay
2. Otago
3. Manawatu
4. Southland
5. Bay of Plenty
6. Northland
7. North Harbour (the never fail to under perform...).

I'm not overly optimistic for Wellington this season (although I'd be surprised if we don't make the semi's). Unfortunately it looks like Riki Flutey will be out for half the ITM Cup, so I'm very worried about who will play 1st 5/8th...

North Harbor appeared to have done fairly well against the All Blacks...maybe they can adopt the U20s only gameplan and give the ball to Tevita Li to score on his own.

I'm not overly optimistic for Wellington this season (although I'd be surprised if we don't make the semi's). Unfortunately it looks like Riki Flutey will be out for half the ITM Cup, so I'm very worried about who will play 1st 5/8th...

North Harbor appeared to have done fairly well against the All Blacks...maybe they can adopt the U20s only gameplan and give the ball to Tevita Li to score on his own.

At the rate they are dropping Wellington may struggle to field XV fit players by the end of the season! As well as the departures of Levave, Sopoaga, Ngatai, Leiua et al. it sounds like Schwalger, Toomaga-Allen, Flutey, and Savea have been ruled out before the season has even started, I'm not sure whether they have any fit locks at the moment.....

I agree North Harbour's best option will probably be to adopt the patented "pass the ball to Tevita Li" tactic. From the reports I heard they struggled against the (makeshift) AB's side - they lost their 40 minute match 41-5 (even with Ma'a Nonu taking the goal-kicking duties for the AB's...).

Oh yeah it was Northland who did reasonably well against the All Blacks :lol:.

Yep, last sounds about right.

I always look at the North Harbour backline on paper at the start of the season and get excited, but they always seem to play as a bunch of individuals rather than a team. This year they could potentially field a backline of:

9. Bryn Hall
10. Matt McGahan (who is very highly rated by Blues management)
11. Tevita Li
12. Pita Ahki
13. Nafi Tuitavake
14. David Raikuna
15. Robbie Robinson

Man for man that is one of the most dangerous backlines in the competition....

Results from the final round of preseason matches:

NOR 7 - 19 NZ (40 minutes)
NH 5 - 41 NZ (40 minutes)
NH 17 - 5 NOR (40 minutes)
TAR 24 - 5 AUK
HB 39 - 22 WAI
BOP 19 - 21 CM
TAS 14 - 14 MAN
WEL 26 - 24 CAN
OTA 12 - 8 SOU

It's interesting having a look at these predictions this late in the season...

Latest posts