• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 ITM Cup] Round 9 (AKA the return of SBW)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Round 9
[TABLE="class: responsive, width: 470"]
[TR]
[TH]DATE[/TH]
[TH]GAME[/TH]
[TH]VENUE[/TH]
[TH]TIME(NZ)[/TH]
[TH]RESULT[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]08 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Counties Manukau v Auckland[/TD]
[TD]Pukekohe[/TD]
[TD]7:35 pm[/TD]
[TD]41-18[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]09 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Waikato v Bay of Plenty[/TD]
[TD]Hamilton[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Otago v Manawatu[/TD]
[TD]Dunedin[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Wellington v North Harbour[/TD]
[TD]Wellington[/TD]
[TD]2:35 pm[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Hawke’s Bay v Southland (RS)[/TD]
[TD]Napier[/TD]
[TD]5:35 pm[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Auckland v Northland[/TD]
[TD]Auckland[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Taranaki v Canterbury[/TD]
[TD]New Plymouth[/TD]
[TD]2:35 pm[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12 Oct[/TD]
[TD]Tasman v Counties Manukau[/TD]
[TD]Blenheim[/TD]
[TD]4:35 pm[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Counties opened the round with a big upset win over Auckland, keeping them in with a playoff chance.

Discuss.

Last edited:
BOP could beat Waikato if they play like they did last week. In terms of the bookies it's surprising that Manawatu aren't the favourites against Otago so a good bet there.

Probably best to avoid Wellington vs North Harbour, NH will be wanting a semis spot but Wellington well who knows.

HB vs Southland should be a cracker, not only the ahield on the line but Southland will want a semis spot.

Last but not least Naki vs Canterbury should be another good game.

So much on the line this week, we should be treated to some good rugby.

I'm annoyed Cruden isn't playing for Manawatu (and I bet Darwin is stoked he isn't). I heard he withdrew himself after having a book signing or something.. surely if you are contracted to a province and have been released by the AB's to play (which he was) you should front up and play. It isn't that good of a look if you ask me.

We need at least 2 bonus points to lock in the top spot. Hopefully we play like we did last week.

I'm annoyed Cruden isn't playing for Manawatu (and I bet Darwin is stoked he isn't). I heard he withdrew himself after having a book signing or something.. surely if you are contracted to a province and have been released by the AB's to play (which he was) you should front up and play. It isn't that good of a look if you ask me.

We need at least 2 bonus points to lock in the top spot. Hopefully we play like we did last week.

Nah, it's more fun beating you when you are full strength :p

It was good to see SBW get some minutes last night - he looked like a giant next to some of the other players on the park!

Well I was wrong about Otago pulling off the upset! I didn't see the match, but it looks like Manwatu won pretty comfortably in he end.

It has been a very disappointing season overall for Otago. Obviously the loss of many of out best players (Grant, Evans, Tanaka, Popoali'i etc) was too much to overcome, but what really disappointed me was our style of play. Last season we were prepared to attack from anywhere with ball in hand. Though it wasn't the greatest tactical approach of all time we did end up scoring some fantastic tries, were entertaining to watch, and actually won some matches. This season we adopted a completely new tactical approach - kick the ball at all costs. While at times I'm in favour of a more conservative approach, this plainly wasn't working, and we ended up being pretty boring to watch....

Anyways.... Congrats to Manwatu for topping the table. They are going to end up with the (equal) best win loss record in the entire ITM Cup regular season this year...

By all reports he was quiet, but solid. There is a youtube video dedicated to his 20 minutes too:

Aye defiantly looks solid in those clips. Cheers Darwin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was wrong about Otago pulling off the upset! I didn't see the match, but it looks like Manwatu won pretty comfortably in he end.

It has been a very disappointing season overall for Otago. Obviously the loss of many of out best players (Grant, Evans, Tanaka, Popoali'i etc) was too much to overcome, but what really disappointed me was our style of play. Last season we were prepared to attack from anywhere with ball in hand. Though it wasn't the greatest tactical approach of all time we did end up scoring some fantastic tries, were entertaining to watch, and actually won some matches. This season we adopted a completely new tactical approach - kick the ball at all costs. While at times I'm in favour of a more conservative approach, this plainly wasn't working, and we ended up being pretty boring to watch....

Anyways.... Congrats to Manwatu for topping the table. They are going to end up with the (equal) best win loss record in the entire ITM Cup regular season this year...

I saw the last fifteen minutes or so of the Otago match. They were within a try of winning at one point but then some poor defence and ill discipline gave Manawatu the opportunity to finish Otago off, which they promptly did.

Best moment of the CM v Auckland match was this pass by Tim Nanai-Williams:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez Wellington's their best to lose the match to Harbour. Neither team looked really capable of defending.

Do they commentators have a hard on for TJP or what? Harbour fullback chips ahead and TJP catches the ball and commences a thirty metre run to the goal line with no one in front of him. Cue the commentator's saying "THAT is brilliant". They sing his praises all game, didn't often mention how bad his passing was ;)

Pretty sure the commentators just have a hard on for Wellington in general. Wanted to tear my hair out the way they were going on about them when they were pushing Taranaki hard in the first half last weekend. Then when Taranaki would score a try it would seem that it was about what Wellington were doing wrong rather than what Taranaki were doing right. I guess if you're a 'big' team or a 'big' player the commentators will always treat you that way, even when recent form would suggest otherwise.

Petty sure no one has a hard on for Wellington. Commentators talk about what Wellington are doing wrong rather than what other teams are doing right, because Wellington are doing a hell of a lot wrong...has a team gone an entire season without a win? As much as I hate Chris Boyd, not even I expected Wellington doing THIS badly...

Congrats to Hawke's Bay for holding the Shield. Just. Great to see a NZ side able to set-up (and execute) a drop goal when required!

Petty sure no one has a hard on for Wellington. Commentators talk about what Wellington are doing wrong rather than what other teams are doing right, because Wellington are doing a hell of a lot wrong...has a team gone an entire season without a win? As much as I hate Chris Boyd, not even I expected Wellington doing THIS badly...

Nope, because Wellington won yesterday. ^_^

In regards to Wellington doing a hell of a lot wrong, my point was that a team of lesser standing isn't likely to have their flaws spoken about as much as Wellington because it's almost expected them. The moment Wellington show signs of returning to form, the commentators jump all over it because it's what expected.

Have to say I'm concerned about the Hurricanes for next season with Chris Boyd in charge.

Latest posts