• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Junior World Championship - June 2 to 20

Ireland U20 squad for JWC announced.

RELAND UNDER-20 Squad (2014 IRB Junior World Championship, New Zealand, June 2-20):

Max Abbott (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Rory Burke (Cork Constitution/Munster)
David Busby (Queen's University/Ulster)
Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
Denis Coulson (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Billy Dardis (UCD/Leinster) *
Diarmaid Dee (Young Munster/Munster) *
Dylan Donnellan (UCD/Leinster) *
Peter Dooley (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Ryan Foley (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
Ciaran Gaffney (Galwegians/Connacht) *
Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Dan Goggin (Young Munster/Munster)
Cian Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster)
John Madigan (Dolphin/Munster) *
Nick McCarthy (UCD/Leinster)
Conor McKeon (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Darragh Moloney (Cork Constitution/Munster) *
Rory Moloney (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Ross Molony (UCD/Leinster)
Sean O'Brien (Galwegians/Connacht) (capt)
Jack O'Donoghue (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)
Peter Robb (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Frankie Taggart (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
Peadar Timmins (UCD/Leinster)
Craig Trenier (Terenure College/Leinster) *
Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)

* Denotes uncapped player at international Under-20 level

IRELAND - POOL B FIXTURES:

Monday, June 2: France v IRELAND, QBE Stadium, Auckland, 5.35pm local time/6.35am Irish time (Buy match tickets)

Friday, June 6: Wales v IRELAND, ECOLight Stadium, Pukekohe, 5.35pm local time/6.35am Irish time (Buy match tickets)

Tuesday, June 10: IRELAND v Fiji, QBE Stadium, Auckland, 1.35pm local time/2.35am Irish time (Buy match tickets)

Provincial breakdown : Leinster 14, Munster 9, Connacht 3, Ulster 2.

I always enjoy this tournament ... get to see some of tomorrow's star players - good to see a few of the Super Rugby players in the New Zealand squad

I always enjoy this tournament ... get to see some of tomorrow's star players - good to see a few of the Super Rugby players in the New Zealand squad
Yep, very entertaining tournament. Players able to show off some flair before getting it coached out of them!

Nice Munster representation. A few centres there too which is promising. I gather Goggin is a good talent. O'Donoghue is a strong fella too
I'll be excited to see Dardis too, he was injured all 6 nations I think.
I really hope we perform as we should. 6 nations were a real disappointment but to be fair the weather was ****e for our backs.

JD Schickerling

Jean Luc Du Plessis
Handre Pollard
Andre Esterhuizen
Sergeal Petersen
Warrick Gelant
Jesse Kriel

Names I know. I assume we might see Handre Pollard play at 12 with Du Preez playing at 10? Just seems like a pity not to have both on the field LOL. Esterhuizen is a very handy center and with Petersen, Gelant and Kriel this might be our best back three yet at this tournament and I expect to see SA attack from deep if these guys are given freedom. Pity Cheslin Kolbe isn't included though I am sure WP would'e released him to play if he weren't injured.

I suppose it depends on the pack and 9 is pivotal for SA but I am sure our pack will be dcent as usual.

Jean Luc du Plessis, Jean Luc du Preez, Daniel du Preez, ugh... Annoying!
The du Preez' are twins (can tell them apart by their hair!), younger brother of new WP back Rob, son of former Springbok Rob. Jean Luc du Plessis, son of former Springbok wing and coach Carel. Sad to see Rob duP leave, but I can only assume it is because we signed Swiel, and had Zeilinga ready to go, with an eye on Jean Luc du Preez for the future.
Jesse and Dan Kriel are brothers, Jesse originally involved in KZN rugby before going to the Bulls region. Shame Tyler Fisher is injured, would be a cert as well. Thomas du Toit is apparently a monster, I think we see him as Beast's replacement. Our last few props (Redelinghuys, van Dyk, Schonert) all came through a few years too early.

Jean Luc du Plessis, Jean Luc du Preez, Daniel du Preez, ugh... Annoying!
The du Preez' are twins (can tell them apart by their hair!), younger brother of new WP back Rob, son of former Springbok Rob. Jean Luc du Plessis, son of former Springbok wing and coach Carel. Sad to see Rob duP leave, but I can only assume it is because we signed Swiel, and had Zeilinga ready to go, with an eye on Jean Luc du Preez for the future.
Jesse and Dan Kriel are brothers, Jesse originally involved in KZN rugby before going to the Bulls region. Shame Tyler Fisher is injured, would be a cert as well. Thomas du Toit is apparently a monster, I think we see him as Beast's replacement. Our last few props (Redelinghuys, van Dyk, Schonert) all came through a few years too early.

Who will you be rooting for here, Draggs? Well, with the way the apple cart was turned over last year SA and Wales might not even meet as SA has a very tough pool and I can't see both SA and NZ going through as the best runner up usually comes from one of the less tough pools. I think I changed my mind. SA and NZ might be more ahead of Scotland/Samoa than Aus/Eng and Wal/Ire are of Argentina and France so maybe we see both go through if they can manage to pummel both of Scotland and Samoa (two teams who at senior level at least are very able to keep things close though but I doubt it's the same at this level but I plead ignorance).

Ja, we in SA seem to love bringing in the offspring of former Boks. Every year I have no idea who the majority of the pack are but they tend to be good at this level even if its the backs that come through earlier and are wider known in general. Good to hear we have a monster in the scrum- I'll keep an eye out for him. Shickerling at lock is also technically very capable in the line-outs. If that theme continues through the pack I'd be happy and SA certainly has the backline this year to back things up in the back. The big question for me is the scrummies; those mentioned don't ring a bell. It'll be interesting to see which way we go WRT 10DuP/Pollard, 12Pollard/Gellant 13Gelant/Esterhuizen while either of Estehruizen or Gelant could also play wing. Good to have options I suppose. I think Jesse Kriel at 15 and Sergeal Petersen at 11 are shoe ins and I pick Petersen for top try scorer; that boy (at least prior to injury- I hope he is as electric as he was before) makes Habana look old and tired.

Between the JWC and June tests I knew that would come up... Let's keep dodging it until Wales and SA play!

Andre is seen as a 12 from what I can tell (at the Sharks that is). We have a ****load of brothers in our U19 contract this year. Johan du Toit, brother of Pieter Steph, the du Preez twins, and Philip Marais, of the Jandre-Peet family. Quite a few locks, du Toit and Marais, as well as Hyron Andrews, and Petrus de Buson. Let's see if any make the U20 within the next few years!

JL du Plessis has been used at fullback a few times, but I think it was only temporarily. We seem to have Sean Robinson marked as our next development fullback.

I see Esterhuizen as a big guy with some pace and power so that suits the SA 12 mold perfectly, yes. I guess I would just personally like us to consider a playmaking 12 like Pollard or Gelant with which to better make use of the dangerous guys outside. I think a 2nd playmaker midfield would also give us the opportunity to exploit the pure pace of someone like Petersen on the chip kick which IMO is better used from 12 than 10 simply because the defense has probably already moved up.

I am very excited about seeing some of these backs run from deep and thinking of Kolbe and Justin Geduld now and how ridiculously elusive our back runners could have been had they been fit ad included; something akin to the way Kolbe and Aplon ran off of each other in the Currie Cup (bar the final ;P where the Sharks kept us pretty well contained).

Anyway one place SANZAR has slipped up is not having a Rugby Champioship type event for the age groups such as the 6N teams are doing. I guess the distance and expense is just too great for this level as I am sure they have considered this already. Maybe if there is a host country every year and not to and through travelling with the hosts covering accommodation for the other 3 and then each travelling nation covers their own travel expenses and hosting rotates over 4 years between Arg, SA, NZ and Aus it could work financially. I know if they host it in Cape Town every year the viewing public will pitch and could fund it as we love our age group rugby here and do attend in numbers.

Last edited:
JD Schickerling

Jean Luc Du Plessis
Handre Pollard
Andre Esterhuizen
Sergeal Petersen
Warrick Gelant
Jesse Kriel

Names I know. I assume we might see Handre Pollard play at 12 with Du Preez playing at 10? Just seems like a pity not to have both on the field LOL. Esterhuizen is a very handy center and with Petersen, Gelant and Kriel this might be our best back three yet at this tournament and I expect to see SA attack from deep if these guys are given freedom. Pity Cheslin Kolbe isn't included though I am sure WP would'e released him to play if he weren't injured.

I suppose it depends on the pack and 9 is pivotal for SA but I am sure our pack will be dcent as usual.

Yup, those are the names I know too. But I am a bit confused about Kolbe. He was expected to be on the bench this past weekend for the Stormers, but then was given another week off to recover fully. I would've thought that he was a defenite pick for the Baby Boks, especially since he was our star performer last year.

As for Pollard, this will be his third JWC tournament. And for me, he will be our most valuable asset. In the last couple of games he has come on for the Bulls, he has made some great opportunities for tries, and even scored one against the Highlanders with his blistering pace.

I am just a bit worried about our pool. We have Samoa and NZ!! that will not be easy!

My guess is that they left out Kolbe because of a combination of the uncertainty factor surrounding his injury/form (and the fact that it might seem unfair to drop one of the others at this stage) and teh fact that the Stormers are in desperate need of Kolbe (or any wing for that matter) for SR. He would certainly be a huge boost if fit and travelling with this squad. Who knows, it might still happen?

Imagine a backline of 10Pollard, 11Geduld (if they'd bring him in form the SA 7's squad), 12Esterhuizen, 13Gelant, 14Petersen, 15Kolbe then with Du Plessis and Kriel on the bench as quality back-up. That'd be an electric line-up behind what is usually a quality forward pack. Speaking of the SA 7's squad, aren't Senatla, Adendorf and Werner Kok still young enough for the JRC?

Regarding NZ and Samoa we really should beat Samoa well and I am confident we can get past NZ if we have good line speed in defense and make our 1 on 1 tackles consistently. No reason we can't top our pool IMO even with it being a decidedly tough one.

My guess is that they left out Kolbe because of a combination of the uncertainty factor surrounding his injury/form (and the fact that it might seem unfair to drop one of the others at this stage) and teh fact that the Stormers are in desperate need of Kolbe (or any wing for that matter) for SR. He would certainly be a huge boost if fit and travelling with this squad. Who knows, it might still happen?

Imagine a backline of 10Pollard, 11Geduld (if they'd bring him in form the SA 7's squad), 12Esterhuizen, 13Gelant, 14Petersen, 15Kolbe then with Du Plessis and Kriel on the bench as quality back-up. That'd be an electric line-up behind what is usually a quality forward pack. Speaking of the SA 7's squad, aren't Senatla, Adendorf and Werner Kok still young enough for the JRC?

Regarding NZ and Samoa we really should beat Samoa well and I am confident we can get past NZ if we have good line speed in defense and make our 1 on 1 tackles consistently. No reason we can't top our pool IMO even with it being a decidedly tough one.

I think Senatla and Kok are now too old, I might be wrong. But not a single guy from the 7's squad has been picked. Maybe they wanted to see who will be available after the last 2 tournaments. Surely there is still time to add or replace guys to the squad. I'd even give a guy like Kwagga Smith a shot. he's a real grafter! What about Kolbe at 9??

I think Senatla and Kok are now too old, I might be wrong. But not a single guy from the 7's squad has been picked. Maybe they wanted to see who will be available after the last 2 tournaments. Surely there is still time to add or replace guys to the squad. I'd even give a guy like Kwagga Smith a shot. he's a real grafter! What about Kolbe at 9??

I have a lot of time for Kwagga and yes, Kolbe has experience at 9- his service could probably bea tad crisper but is not worse than some of our starting 9s in SR but can you imagine the broken field running and darts off the rucks!

I see Esterhuizen as a big guy with some pace and power so that suits the SA 12 mold perfectly, yes. I guess I would just personally like us to consider a playmaking 12 like Pollard or Gelant with which to better make use of the dangerous guys outside. I think a 2nd playmaker midfield would also give us the opportunity to exploit the pure pace of someone like Petersen on the chip kick which IMO is better used from 12 than 10 simply because the defense has probably already moved up.

I am very excited about seeing some of these backs run from deep and thinking of Kolbe and Justin Geduld now and how ridiculously elusive our back runners could have been had they been fit ad included; something akin to the way Kolbe and Aplon ran off of each other in the Currie Cup (bar the final ;P where the Sharks kept us pretty well contained).

Anyway one place SANZAR has slipped up is not having a Rugby Champioship type event for the age groups such as the 6N teams are doing. I guess the distance and expense is just too great for this level as I am sure they have considered this already. Maybe if there is a host country every year and not to and through travelling with the hosts covering accommodation for the other 3 and then each travelling nation covers their own travel expenses and hosting rotates over 4 years between Arg, SA, NZ and Aus it could work financially. I know if they host it in Cape Town every year the viewing public will pitch and could fund it as we love our age group rugby here and do attend in numbers.

I completely agree, they could have a round robin type event where the Rugby Championship countries compete, and it could be hosted by a different country each year ... they also need to set up something similar for Women's Rugby, but that's a topic for another thread

I completely agree, they could have a round robin type event where the Rugby Championship countries compete, and it could be hosted by a different country each year ... they also need to set up something similar for Women's Rugby, but that's a topic for another thread

That sounds very workable if you ask me. The womens and junior teams could easily piggy-back and work around each other. A round robin of 3 games means you could play it over a week (while allowing some time to settle in of course) with 1 mid-week game and double-header fixtures. With the idea being development I am sure playing 3 games in the space of a week would be fine if you allow some depth in the squad and give everyone a run-out.

That sounds very workable if you ask me. The womens and junior teams could easily piggy-back and work around each other. A round robin of 3 games means you could play it over a week (while allowing some time to settle in of course) with 1 mid-week game and double-header fixtures. With the idea being development I am sure playing 3 games in the space of a week would be fine if you allow some depth in the squad and give everyone a run-out.

Yep, and if you played it in the June test window, it wouldn't divert any players from their Super Rugby commitments (if they have any) ... mind you, that might conflict with the JWC... It probably doesn't matter when it's played if it's only a week

EDIT:- It looks like the NZ Womens side have a 4 way tournament in June this year with Australia, Canada, and Samoa ... I wonder why they haven't set something up with the Juniors?

Last edited:
So folks, who do you think will win it? Who'll be the surprise team?
List from 1 - 12 what you think will be the final standings.

So Italy's supposed to organize the tournament next year. Does that mean they can't be relegated? I'd love to see a JWC in Ireland by the way.

So folks, who do you think will win it? Who'll be the surprise team?
List from 1 - 12 what you think will be the final standings.

Hmm, I always find this difficult because of the huge amount of player rotation from year to year.

I don't know about the final standings but the way I would rate them (a total gut suck);

SA - I am basing this on the assumption that we would have a pack that at least should get parity and the fact that I know we should have a very dangerous and surprisingly experienced backline.
NZ - because it's NZ
Wales
England are also always there in this tournament
Ireland
Australia
France
Argentina
Scotland
Samoa
Italy
Fiji

Latest posts