• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Test] South Africa vs Wales (1st Test)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Stadium: Kings Park
Capacity: 55,000
City: Durban - South Africa
Referee: Romain Poite
140609122231744772.png

15 Willie le Roux
14 Cornal Hendricks
13 JP Pietersen
12 Jan Serfontein
11 Bryan Habana
10 Morné Steyn
9 Fourie du Preez
8 Duane Vermeulen
7 Willem Alberts
6 Francois Louw
5 Victor Matfield (c)
4 Bakkies Botha
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Bismarck du Plessis
1 Gurthro Steenkamp
140609120406622985.png

140609122230175699.png

15 Liam Williams
14 Alex Cuthbert
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Jamie Roberts
11 George North
10 Dan Biggar
9 Mike Phillips
1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Ken Owens
3 Adam Jones
4 Luke Charteris
5 Alun Wyn Jones (captain)
6 Dan Lydiate
7 Aaron Shingler
8 Taulupe Faletau

Last edited:
I'm just glad Beast won't be facing Hayman again on the weekend. A TH bullying a LH is a rare sight. That said I wouldn't mind at all if both Beast and Jannie get rested; they seem to need it badly though looking at the stats Vermeulen is the Bok with the most playing minutes followd by Mvovo, F Steyn, Alberts and BdP who all seem fine; maybe just a prop thing as I can't believe Beast has suddenly turned ****. Or maybe the world XV scrum was just exceptionally good. I wouldn't know having played on the wing all my life.

So will we see any changes in the starting line-up? HM is not one to make changes easily. So same front row considering Malherbe is innjured, same 2nd row considering Etzebeth and PSdT are injured and TBH, no need to as Bakkies and Matfield actually both played well. Our backrow as a unit is great even if they don't stand out as individuals while sharing the workload like they do and with Arno Botha injured I don't really think there is any need to rotate (player rotation as a management tool should happen at SR level- here's looking at you Jake White, and AC).

Pienaar was once again pedestrian. Really what is he doing there. FdP added so much more impetus and I can't believe any of our local 9's won't add more than what Pienaar is offering. I know HM has a thing for the injured Schreuder which I also don't understand especially with the way Reinach, De Klerk and Hougaard (is he now in a good mindspace now that the Pistorius murder trial isn't headlining anymore?) have been going this year. M Steyn went better than I expected but I still feel the game against the world XV was the one to test both Goosena nd Boshoff. When Lambie is back where will he fit in. I don't even want to get on the backline I am so depressed De Allende is unavaiable.

I am a bit worried about the scrums, Jake White played the top Sharks players to a standstill - props, Willem Alberts and Frans Steyn showing it.
The scrum should hold their own, but nothing more, substitutions to come on earlier in the second half

Happy to say I will be attending this match. Will be my first game at the Shark tank and very much looking forward to it.
We are flying down and taking a few corporate clients out for the game, so will be an all inclusive work/fun trip

I'm just glad Beast won't be facing Hayman again on the weekend. A TH bullying a LH is a rare sight. That said I wouldn't mind at all if both Beast and Jannie get rested; they seem to need it badly though looking at the stats Vermeulen is the Bok with the most playing minutes followd by Mvovo, F Steyn, Alberts and BdP who all seem fine; maybe just a prop thing as I can't believe Beast has suddenly turned ****. Or maybe the world XV scrum was just exceptionally good. I wouldn't know having played on the wing all my life.

So will we see any changes in the starting line-up? HM is not one to make changes easily. So same front row considering Malherbe is innjured, same 2nd row considering Etzebeth and PSdT are injured and TBH, no need to as Bakkies and Matfield actually both played well. Our backrow as a unit is great even if they don't stand out as individuals while sharing the workload like they do and with Arno Botha injured I don't really think there is any need to rotate (player rotation as a management tool should happen at SR level- here's looking at you Jake White, and AC).

Pienaar was once again pedestrian. Really what is he doing there. FdP added so much more impetus and I can't believe any of our local 9's won't add more than what Pienaar is offering. I know HM has a thing for the injured Schreuder which I also don't understand especially with the way Reinach, De Klerk and Hougaard (is he now in a good mindspace now that the Pistorius murder trial isn't headlining anymore?) have been going this year. M Steyn went better than I expected but I still feel the game against the world XV was the one to test both Goosena nd Boshoff. When Lambie is back where will he fit in. I don't even want to get on the backline I am so depressed De Allende is unavaiable.

I think there will be a few changes here and there...

Maybe Marcell v/d Merwe might get his first cap in place of Jannie (I hope).

At lock we will have to play BakTor. Flip is not with the Bokke this week as his brother is getting married on Saturday, which leaves us with Jacques Du Plessis and possibly Mohoje as back-up.

Our backrow shouldn't change, if they do, It might be Schalla in for Alberts...

At 9 we only have 3 options. Pienaar, Du Preez and Hougaard... I'd like to see Pienaar being ignored completely.

Fly Half, I think HM will stick with Morne, and keep Goosen on the Bench hoping he doesn't get injured by the time it's the Rugby Championship.

Centres... This is the big "?". HM has so many good guys on form in this position, who will he pick, as neither Steyn nor Pietersen had a poor game against the World XV.

The back 3 can also stay as they are, Habana looked hungry again, and while many don't like Hendricks, I love the way he plays, and he had a very good game IMHO against the world XV.

Ja, I'm happy with Bakkies and Matfield injuries considered. Front row maybe bring in Oosthuizne at 3 with MvdM on the bench as 1 possible change for the pack. Burger in for Alberts not a bad shout simply because of the workload Alberts has had to carry but not the 1st test IMO. Burger looking good lately; has a bit of an extra center role he plays well on attack and dogged in defense.

Pienaar has to go. I'd start FdP and have Hougaard on the bench. Why not call up Kockott? He is in SA and has played a good game for the world XV so should be in HM's mind surely? Otherwise Reinach and Faf de Klerk have been the form scrummies in SR for SA so why not bring in one of them. No reason why HM can't bring in extra players like he has with Nyakane coming in.

I am happy to leave the rest as is provided Goosen gets at least 30 minutes even though I prefer Mvovo.

Ja, I'm happy with Bakkies and Matfield injuries considered. Front row maybe bring in Oosthuizne at 3 with MvdM on the bench as 1 possible change for the pack. Burger in for Alberts not a bad shout simply because of the workload Alberts has had to carry but not the 1st test IMO. Burger looking good lately; has a bit of an extra center role he plays well on attack and dogged in defense.

Pienaar has to go. I'd start FdP and have Hougaard on the bench. Why not call up Kockott? He is in SA and has played a good game for the world XV so should be in HM's mind surely? Otherwise Reinach and Faf de Klerk have been the form scrummies in SR for SA so why not bring in one of them. No reason why HM can't bring in extra players like he has with Nyakane coming in.

I am happy to leave the rest as is provided Goosen gets at least 30 minutes even though I prefer Mvovo.

I would pick Reinach ahead of Kockott. I have stated before that I have no time for Kockott and he showed again on the weekend what a prick he is. He has a tendency to go overboard, and we need discipline... We have enough forwards to provide grunt, we don't need a small pesky scrumhalf to do that too.

I would pick Reinach ahead of Kockott. I have stated before that I have no time for Kockott and he showed again on the weekend what a prick he is. He has a tendency to go overboard, and we need discipline... We have enough forwards to provide grunt, we don't need a small pesky scrumhalf to do that too.

I will have that cocky cock anywhere close to a Bok team, Reinach a far better player in any event. But there is no chance he will get in as HM's lovechild is Ruaan Pienaar

C'mon, guys. Kockott is a mile better than Pienaar and is on a par with Hougaard and Reinach and ahead of De Klerk (who I think needs big improvements on defense dropping more tackles than he makes).

I don't like the guy, have never and will never. He will be bad for SA rugby just as bad as he was when in Natal. Never said he is a bad player. He is like Kevin Pietersen in the English cricket team. The French can have him for all I care

I will have that cocky cock anywhere close to a Bok team, Reinach a far better player in any event. But there is no chance he will get in as HM's lovechild is Ruaan Pienaar

hey hey HEY HEY !!!! Easy with the cocks here !!

Also it's inconclusive whether he's good enough, remember when Ruan Pienaar was part of the Heineken Cup winning Ulster that's when people started calling for his selection and look how that turned out. I'm not saying the NH is worse, but possibly stylistically different, we can just hope that either Reinach or Hougard really put their hands up and force selection over the next year. Otherwise it's an old FDP which isn't the worst thing that could happen.

On the whole no.9 issue; I'm happy to back FdP for 2015. He is just pure class and slots into the SA setup like a well lubricated.. well, he fits in well.

The other options:

Pienaar; just no
Pretorius; too old, loose and poor on defense
Schreuder; injured near permanently
Kockott; seemingly outside the framework
Groom; not up to scratch
Van Zyl; injured
Vermaak; in France
McLeod; pleaase not
Venter; can't say I've noticed him at all

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Player[/TD]
[TD]Minutes played[/TD]
[TD]Kick/Pass/Run[/TD]
[TD]Tries[/TD]
[TD]Try assist[/TD]
[TD]Clean breaks / breaks create[/TD]
[TD]Defenders beaten[/TD]
[TD]Offloads[/TD]
[TD]Tackles made[/TD]
[TD]Tackles missed[/TD]
[TD]Tackle %[/TD]
[TD]Turn-overs forced[/TD]
[TD]Posession gained / kicks fielded[/TD]
[TD]Handling errors+[/TD]
[TD]Penalties conceded[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Hougaard[/TD]
[TD]1075[/TD]
[TD]98/553/91....[/TD]
[TD]0.......[/TD]
[TD] 2.......[/TD]
[TD] 4/4........[/TD]
[TD]12............[/TD]
[TD]10...........[/TD]
[TD]81........[/TD]
[TD]22.......[/TD]
[TD]78.6%[/TD]
[TD]6........[/TD]
[TD]69............[/TD]
[TD]19.........[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Reinach[/TD]
[TD]833[/TD]
[TD]66/255/59[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 5/2[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]31[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]72.0%[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]34[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]De Klerk[/TD]
[TD]507[/TD]
[TD]67/492/69[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD] 1[/TD]
[TD] 7/2[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]39[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]70.9%[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]32[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I think it's pretty clear that the two form 9's aren't involved and the stats are further damniing when you consider Hougaard has played some rugby on the wing and has had more than double the playing minutes De Klerk has had.

But that's just numbers. In terms of the quality/effectiveness I'd probably use rankings. This would be my opinion:

Passing:
FdP
De Klerk
Hougaard
Reinach
Pienaar

Kicking:
FdP
Pienaar
Hougaard
De Klerk
Reinach

Running:
Reinach
De Klerk
Hougaard
FdP
Pienaar

Defense:
Penaar
Hougaard
FdP
Reinach
De Klerk

Assisting/general:
FdP
De Klerk
Reinach
Hougaard
Pienaar

if that makes sense. I'd be interested to hear (read) other's views..

And you better +rep me for this as it took a damn while!

Last edited:
Interesting with regards to the Beast being played to a standstill over the last few months, while Adam Jones has only been playing half an hour a week since the Six Nations (I think the Probables v. Possibles was his second start since the game v. Scotland). Both could be rusty for different reasons, although Adam has still looked good when he has played, so hopefully we've got an upper hand.

Gatland told Rugby365 he would like to Whitewash the Boks and nothing less would be acceptable.
This is excellent news for the Boks and would be good preparation for the WC next year.

You shouldn't really ever read into what Gatland says in the media. He's really a bit of a gob****e.

Latest posts