• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand vs England (1st Test)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand vs England

New%20Zealand.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
England.png

Where: Eden Park, Auckland
Referee: Nigel Owens (WAL)
When: 7th June, 2014, 19:35 (Local), 8.35 (UK)​

Now 36 has been ruled out, it looks like the main selection issues for the 1st 15 are:

5. Attwood or Parling. I think Lancaster will plump for the latter due to his experience
6. Haskell or Johnson. Tough one to call; Haskell should get the nod because of his experience, but then again Lancaster is big on loyalty and Johnson was used as the next player in the 6 N when Billy got injured.

10. Burns or Cipriani. Most pundits think Burns will get the nod, although Cips is the form league player.

I reckon the team will be

1) Marler
2) Webber/Ward (I would go Ward)
3) Wilson
4) Launchbury
5) Attwood (due to size and aggression would work better with Launchbury)
6) Johnson (I would go for Haskell)
7) Robshaw
8) Morgan
9) Care
10) Burns
11) May
12) Eastmond
13) Manu
14) Yarde
15) Brown

16) Ward/Webber
17) Catt
18) Thomas
19) Parling (I would go slater as he imo would make more impact off the bench)
20) Haskell (Again I would start Hask and have Kevsic)
21) Youngs
22) Cipriani
23) Pennell

i'm scared.

You see England can never get it right, we have either a brilliant back line (which i think that one is) or a great pack (that one ain't), can't have both at the same time ! We all know he will pick Johnson then Parling at 5, and somehow fly Callum Clarke in to play on the bench. I joke of course :p
What i would go for -
1.Marler 2.Ward 3.Wilson 4.Launchbury 5.Attwood 6.Robshaw 7.Kvesic 8.Morgan 9.Care 10.Cipriani 11.May 12.Eastmond 13.Tuilagi 14.Yarde 15.Brown
16.Webber 17.Catt 18.Thomas:( 19.Slater 20.Haskell 21.Youngs 22.Burns 23.Pennell

Let's just hope that they have no idea who Eastmond is and he catches them with their pants down.

I'm excited about the 2nd test if the players stay fit after the 1st test.

But I'm not looking forward to waking up to see this.

What the predicted NZ team looking likek

1) Woodcock
2) Coles
3) O. franks
4) Retallick
5) Whitelock
6) Messam
7) McCaw
8) Kanio
9) Smith
10) Barritt
11) Savea
12) Nonu
13) Smith
14) Jane
15) Smith

16) Mealamu
17) Crockett
18) Faumainia
19) Bird / Tuipolotu
20) Vito
21) Perenara
22) Cruden
23) Fekitoa/Dagg

?

either way NZ despite missing come players have a stupid amount of depth.

Last edited:
It's not Kyle's tackling that makes people target him, it's the fact that he's smaller than most scrum-halfs.
It's unfair to put him in the same category as someone like Burns who is over 6'.

Do we know for sure 36 is out or is that just an educated guess?

If Eastmond starts thats great, because I want to see more of him, but also a little scary because whoever plays 10 (and any pundit who thinks Burns should start should be fed to Stuart Barnes) we're going to have a very new, very raw 10-12 combo facing off against not only an outrageously good back row but also an opposion 10-12 combo that is much more experienced both in terms of individual caps and game time together.

Our props also scare me, specifically our bench. Thomas just can't scrummage and Catt is hardly convincing. Isn't Matt Mullan our there too?

Best case team for me would be:

1 Marler
2 Ward
3 Wilson
4 Launchbury
5 Attwood
6 Robshaw
7 Haskell / Kvesic
8 Morgan
9 Care
10 Cipriani
11 May
12 Twelvetrees / Eastmond
13 Tuilagu
14 Yarde
15 Brown

16 Mullan
17 Webber
18 Thomas (or any passing, overweight Kiwi with an English granny. Would be preferable).
19 Slater
20 Haskell / Kvesic
21 Youngs
22 Burns
23 Pennell

In reality I think all hope of seeing Robshaw at 6 is lost, we'll probably end up with Johnson and I wouldn't put it past Farrell Sr. to think Burns starting would be a great idea. Maybe we'll even have Brown on the wing and Pennell at 15!

It's not Kyle's tackling that makes people target him, it's the fact that he's smaller than most scrum-halfs.
It's unfair to put him in the same category as someone like Burns who is over 6'.

I did say his tackling isn't to bad. (Which basically means it is alright)

Mullan is also out there, but the way Catt has played for bath recently has been very good I think he would fit alright, and has the chemistry with Webber, Wilson and Attwood in the forwards.

Last edited:
Catt is hardly convincing.

What makes you say that?

He's good.

36 was never really in contention for the first test after he was injured - he still hasn't trained... so he wont play.

I think Attwood might be kept on the bench because of the TH issue.

Gonna be a strange old game. An increasingly injury struck ABs vs a depleted England.

What I want vs what I think:

1. Marler
2. Webber
3. Wilson
4. Attwood - Parling
5. Mr.Berry
6. Haskell - Johnson
7. Robshaw
8. Morgan
9. Care
10. Cipriani - Burns
11. May
12. Eastmond
13. Tuilagi
14. Yarde
15. Brown

16. Ward
17. Mullan
18. Brookes - Thomas
19. Parling - Attwood
20. Johnson - Haskell
21. Youngs
22. Burns - Cipriani
23. Pennell

I'd take Brookes over Thomas for the extra power from the bench. They're both as bad as each other in the scrum, but different in the loose. Thomas more the Gethin Jenkins-extra-flanker type prop, wheras Brookes is just an animal. I'd rather Brookes coming off the bench bringing some bosh, as we lack some firepower in our subs with Binny not there and Attwood (hopefully) starting.
Really really hope Danny starts. There's just no justification for Burns to start. If Twelvetrees was fit I wouldn't even have him in the 23.

Last edited:
I just haven't seen anything to convince me Catt is an internetional prop tbh. I could be doing his a disservice but I think Mullan is a more sensible choice.

With 36 confirmed out (I though he'd gone and was training light, my bad) I guess its Eastmond and, by the looks of it, Burns at 10. Why Burns would be picked to start is beyond me but then for all we know he's been lighting things up in training.

Agreed that Attwood is great to bring on alongside a weaker tight head but I'd also like to see him start and watch what he can do with more time on the pitch. Happy either way.

the only reason i'd have liked 36 in there is to elminate changes - but i really want to see eastmond play so i'm not too dissapointed he's out.

I think longterm he's probably our 12.

will be an interesting game, it'll go one of two ways - England win a legendary test match, or New Zealand rip them a new one

Kvesic is in the latest Inside Line in training kit so I don't think so. Also learnt that is middle name is Boris.

Surely this man must play for England!

Latest posts