• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand vs England (3rd Test)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
New%20Zealand.png
Versus%20Pro%20D2.png
England.png

Date: 21 June 2014

Last edited:
So, both Conrad Smith (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10163158/Conrad-Smith-out-with-broken-thumb) and Israel Dagg are out of this third test, though it looks like Read may well be back.

I like to think Kerr-Barlow will be given a start at halfback, and we'll probably see Fekitoa at 13. Jane will remain in place on the wing with Dagg's injury.

It's possible we'll see Franks and Cruden make way for Faumuina and Barrett. If Barrett starts then it's unlikely TKB will start, however.

Otherwise, I can't see there being many changes. Read will likely take over from Messam.

Looking at the team for the Crusaders game it looks like we'll be starting Chris Ashton for the third test...

Someone should probably kneecap Savea if we want to avoid a repeat of this, every time NZ attack out right wing:

http://youtu.be/7mjbJRMEvO0

HA! send the boys round.

To be fair to Ashton there, he is in a two on one after Lawes is rounded.

He's hanging off and tracking Fall, then realises his support is coming too late and steps in on Fofo!

Don't get me wrong, he's not a great defender but that particular incident he took all the blame for and there is a collective failing that makes it happen.

Also he's the best support runner in the whole england squad and we need more of that.

Damn! Conrad Smith out is a bit blow. That said Fekitoa can do a good job of it I think. If Read is back that'll be a huge boost, particularly if he replaces Messam and moved to 8, with Kaino at 6.

Conrad out is a blow as he is solid in the midfield, Fekitoa is a big boy and could handle Manu in defense just that experience is missing.

I would start Barrett at 1st five and TKB on the bench playing the second half.

Hopefully Read is back, as much as I like Messam, Read and Kaino is god tier.

Really need another big effort to send England home without a win, really good for us that we don't let them get a sniff in.

Conrad out is a blow as he is solid in the midfield, Fekitoa is a big boy and could handle Manu in defense just that experience is missing.

I would start Barrett at 1st five and TKB on the bench playing the second half.

Hopefully Read is back, as much as I like Messam, Read and Kaino is god tier.

Really need another big effort to send England home without a win, really good for us that we don't let them get a sniff in.

Well we have already been in with a sniff but as usual NZ come away with a win in the tight games (it's the reason why they are the best) looks like from an England point of view Care, Farrell, Twelvetrees and Burrell are all injured . After the game they had I'd be feigning injury too ! Haha . Expect to see the same 9, 10, 12, 13 combo from the first test

Well we have already been in with a sniff but as usual NZ come away with a win in the tight games (it's the reason why they are the best) looks like from an England point of view Care, Farrell, Twelvetrees and Burrell are all injured . After the game they had I'd be feigning injury too ! Haha . Expect to see the same 9, 10, 12, 13 combo from the first test

I was just rewatching it... and did we really come in with a sniff of either game? (being a bit devils advocate here)

I mean did anyone think 10 points would be enough to put NZ away on Saturday? They were always going to have a run of scoring. The week before they were in touch the whole game and you're not going to sneak past the post against NZ - you either put them away early like Ireland should have, or you're unlikely to just make it - certainly in this kind of game.

Maybe in a knock out game, but test rugby? In New Zealand? you're not going to edge them.

*EDIT: also, i think you're a little harsh on Farrell, he kicked his goals, he made his hits, he passed exceptionally well. Justin Marshall and the pitch side analyst (on sky NZ) were both commenting on how precise he was. That hit on Savea was immense (and illegal) but if he was fit i'd pick him in a heart ebat - looking forward to seeing Burns play 10 again though.

Last edited:
I was just rewatching it... and did we really come in with a sniff of either game? (being a bit devils advocate here)

I mean did anyone think 10 points would be enough to put NZ away on Saturday? They were always going to have a run of scoring. The week before they were in touch the whole game and you're not going to sneak past the post against NZ - you either put them away early like Ireland should have, or you're unlikely to just make it - certainly in this kind of game.

Maybe in a knock out game, but test rugby? In New Zealand? you're not going to edge them.

*EDIT: also, i think you're a little harsh on Farrell, he kicked his goals, he made his hits, he passed exceptionally well. Justin Marshall and the pitch side analyst (on sky NZ) were both commenting on how precise he was. That hit on Savea was immense (and illegal) but if he was fit i'd pick him in a heart ebat - looking forward to seeing Burns play 10 again though.

I'd have to disagree . This AB them can be beaten just like anyone else in 2002 (I think) we crept over the line . The game mean is when we had 2 sin binned . The only reason it hasn't happened acne is because other that this team we haven't been able to get inside 20 points of them ! Haha

I don't want to sound grumpy but Farrells passing wasn't exceptional . Don't get me wrong it wasn't poor though . He was run over a few times in defence too . Although I was looking more at 36 when I was saying that . Though he was very poor

I'd have to disagree . This AB them can be beaten just like anyone else in 2002 (I think) we crept over the line . The game mean is when we had 2 sin binned . The only reason it hasn't happened acne is because other that this team we haven't been able to get inside 20 points of them ! Haha

I agree with all of this (even after translating the autocrrects :) ) i'm just not sure there was aver a point in either game i thought - "WE'RE GONNA WIN!!!"

I don't want to sound grumpy but Farrells passing wasn't exceptional .

Exceptionally well, not that he was throwing exceptional passes. He was just precise and they were zipping - he's not Burns or Cip's his passing will seldom open a gap that wasn't there, but he was ticking ti over. In my opinion of course

Don't get me wrong it wasn't poor though . He was run over a few times in defence too . Although I was looking more at 36 when I was saying that . Though he was very poor

36 shouldn't start this week - i wonder if his injury is still playing up.

I don't think we'll see a different side. I think it'll be a swap between Farrell & Burns and that's it. I bet Tuilagi plays right wing again.

Oh no doubt dude the English have had a good sniff both games, was thinking that if we let them get a sniff in the 3rd game you may just see England put on a couple of quick scoring plays.

I thought that combo was good in the first test, made some good breaks and looked promising.

I really want the AB's to win the 3rd test, but if they lost then it might send a signal that some of the old guard is not quite as young as they used to be and the WC is a long time away yet.

Blow about Conrad but very excited to see fekitoa unleashed. Piutau has been a real blow for this series. Would of been nice seeing him tearing down the right wing and savea on the other. Jane shouldn't be starting this week but theres no one else unfortunately. Barrett should get the start but not so sure about TKB. Keen to see more Perenara if anything but smith should still start... impressive little guy.

Also would be cool to see crockett have a crack at it to put some pressure on woodcock. Woody hasnt been bad but crockett deserves a chance.

Last edited:
I agree with all of this (even after translating the autocrrects :) ) i'm just not sure there was aver a point in either game i thought - "WE'RE GONNA WIN!!!"

Yeh sorry I'm on my phone so it changes everything ! Bloody thing lol although I'm pretty chuffed you misspelled autocorrect ! :p haha

Conrad Smith will be a massive loss for the AB's, but it will be exciting to see Fekitoa get a chance at test level (presuming it is him not Crotty starting). The selectors may be tempted to start Crotty though, as he is more in the Smith mould than Fekitoa is (though I think he is a better 12 than 13). Jane obviously will start again and will need a massive match to make up for his absolute shocker last match. I don't think there will be a change at 9 (and think it would be a mistake if there was) - Aaron Smith was poor in the last match, but his passing game is vital to the AB's game-plan (Kerr-Barlow may be on the bench though). I would like to see Barrett starting at 10 though. Cruden showed some improvement last weekend, but still looks a long way away from this best....

I'm not really convinced we should rush Read back into the starting lineup. Not necessarily because of the concussion issues (if they think he is ready I'm happy to trust the medical professionals), but rather because he has played next to no rugby for 2 months. When he came back for the Crusaders he looked decidedly rusty - that's not something we can afford at test level. Personally I would like to see Vito start at 8, with Kaino at 6.

....you are having a laugh, methinks, trying to tell him to correct his spelling/grammar!!!

I don't watch Prem, so I can only judge from watching him in an England shirt, but I don't think Twelvetrees is very good. He's a BIG guy, but he doesn't have a whole lot to his game. I'm sure he's better in the Prem because all England fans seem to appreciate him.
It sucks we don't get to see more Conrad Smith. He was awesome on defense last test, and just his usual self generally. What a beautiful game he's got.
Eager to see Read back.
Do England really have all those injuries for Test 3 ?..

Yeah Conrad is a big loss as he was rock solid last week I felt, gut feeling is they will start Crotty and then give Fekitoa time.

Jane will be on the wing again for lack of a better option, look on the bright side, he can't play a 1st half worse than what he did last week.

Barrett should start, as should A Smith and then TKB replace him.

Starting Backs

9. Smith
10. Barrett
11. Savea
12 Nonu
13. Crotty - I so hope Fekitoa
14 Jane
15 Smith

With TKB, Cruden, Crotty / Fekitoa

As for forwards

Crockett can start and see how he goes.

The huge Messam fan I am still wants to see Kaino at 6 and Vito at 8 if Read is out still.

Starting

1. Crocket
2. Coles
3. Franks
4. Retallick
5. Whitelock
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Vito

Reserves

Woodcock, Mealamu, Faumuina, Tuipulotu, Messam

one thing is for certain imo with Conrad smith gone Manu has to start at 13 Crotty and Fekitoa aren't bad tacklers but lack the experience and knowledge Smith has.

Latest posts