• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand vs England (3rd Test)

just watched the match. A few things:

Fekitoa was very nervous, visibly. Body language for one, and he didn't know when to pass and when to keep the ball. At a point he systematically passed. And after his first huge break in the opening minutes, he kept it and blew a big opportunity. But he's a great talent and should be kept in the AB radar. He can become an excellent Toulon centre if he keeps this up :D

Cruden was on FIRE. Some of the passes he gave, whewwww. First time I see him this good. I might be a bit late as I say this, but he is truly deserving of the AB 10 jersey, and with Beauden Barret (who played very well) they've got a nice bright future at flyhalf.

Credit to England for the score. Yarde is the best England winger I've seen right now. Haven't seen Wade at high test level yet. He's a keeper FOR SURE, miles better than all the others for ENG.

You have to remember this is Fekitoas 2nd test and his 1st start on the back of only a handful of super games, no doubt he was nervous.

Cruden looked sharp.

I was impressed with Yarde also, he made a few breaks and looked sharp.

I went to the game so it was hard to analyze it while in that atmosphere, more about the moment and the hype, I really need to watch it at home to see how things went.

I hate to be that guy (I actually really don't, I love it) but can we all take a moment to appreciate:
a) Savea bumping Ashton
b) Cipriani taking down Savea single handedly

I await goodnumber10's scything commentary on how Cipriani was terrible and should've scored from that opportunity :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to be that guy (I actually really don't, I love it) but can we all take a moment to appreciate:
a) Savea bumping Ashton

I await goodnumbe10's scything commentary on how Cipriani was terribly and should've scored from that opportunity :p

Amazing what you can do with editing these days. that was quite clearly footage of Yarde not Ashton but ashton was edited in.

a) Savea bumping Ashton

I await goodnumbe10's scything commentary on how Cipriani was terribly and should've scored from that opportunity :p

And that Tuilagi is an awful defender but Ashton definitely deserves his place .......

Fair play to Ashton, mind, he was first man in at that breakdown (only because Dave Seymour was still waiting in customs at Manchester Airport, as he only got his passport stamped when he saw Danny make the tackle).

For all Ashton's defensive woes he, at least, doesn't let it get to him - he always gets straight back up and in the line.

Fair play to Ashton, mind, he was first man in at that breakdown (only because Dave Seymour was still waiting in customs at Manchester Airport, as he only got his passport stamped when he saw Danny make the tackle).

Who the hell is this Dave Seymour.

(Okay I will stop now).

a) Savea bumping Ashton

I await goodnumber10's scything commentary on how Cipriani was terrible and should've scored from that opportunity :p

Savea has been bumping guys off like that all year in super rugby. If you try to take him waist high head on, one on one he's going to do that exact move and bump you off almost everytime.

Cipriani was just lucky he was running across field and sort of managed to grasp him. From what I remember of him playing for the Rebels he was good on attack had a decent kicking game but his defence was a joke.

Cipriani was just lucky he was running across field and sort of managed to grasp him. From what I remember of him playing for the Rebels he was good on attack had a decent kicking game but his defence was a joke.

Nah, Danny's easily the top defensive 10 in world rugby right now..

:p

To be fair Cipriani's tackling has never really been suspect, it was his commitment: He'd step away from tackling to leave it to someone else rather than put his body on the line.
In the last 18months he's completely U-Turned and is (at least) up to your average flyhalves tackling standard.

a) Savea bumping Ashton

Ashton was head on, seen Savea do that to Read this year, Cipriani tackle from side/behind is not as hard to do.

Well, really enjoyable to watch from an All Blacks fan perspective. The first half was pretty awesome. I attribute the second half being less spectacular due to the substitutions, for the most part they were totally outperformed by the starters.

1. Tony Woodcock: Probably his best game in the last four years I think. The scrums went particularly well when he was in, in fact him and Franks certainly seemed to have the dominant scrum in the first 40. After the changes came we simply lost all dominance and in fact got hammered. He was also generally very tidy with his carries, and did good work at the breakdown. 8/10.
2. Dan Coles: Though he played better than Mealamu. Other than blowing the final pass, he showed good speed in making the break. Made plenty of tackles. For me he's probably our first choice hooker now. 7/10.
3. Owen Franks: Put him good hits on defense and again was part of a solid first half scrum, when he was replaced for Faumuina it really hurt our scrum. His carries were also tidy and helped secure great ball at the breakdown. 7.5/10
4. Retallick: A bit of a quieter game I felt. He cleaned out rucks reasonably well and our lineout was generally alright, but not a special game from him. 6.5/10
5. Sam Whitelock: Pretty much the same as Retallick, both made a relatively high number of tackles, hit the breakdowns etc, but nothing really note worthy. 6.5/10
6. Jerome Kaino: Great to see him back at 6! I felt our balance in the backrow felt right in the first half. Was very physical in the contact area, not sure I can think of many players who refuse to go down and muscle their way over the advantage line like him. Good game. 7.5/10.
7. Richie McCaw: I thought he had his best game of the series by far. Made the most number of tackles of any player on the field, and I felt he was pretty accurate in taking the ball before contact, which he seemed to have trouble with in previous tests. 7.5/10
8. Kieran Read: Great to see him back, I think he made a big difference just in terms of option taking. Not sure why he came of, maybe precautionary due to his fitness? Hope it was nothing more than that. 7/10
9. Aaron Smith: Not only two great tries, his option taking was right this game. Sure, we always expect him to provide great delivery, but it was nice to see his linking game and his option taking going so well. 8/10
10. Aaron Cruden: Best game since his return. He was spotting gaps and showing a bit of his speed to exploit them. He was quite luck he didn't blow Savea's second try with that big pass, but to be fair he wasn't bad at all. I love seeing him doing some more wrap-around plays as I think that's when he's near his best. 8/10.
11. Julian Savea: Well...three tries against England..23 tries in 22 tests...Every time he touched the ball he made good decisions, whether it meant passing it back infield or bumping off anyone who tried to tackle him. His tackle on Yarde to take him out was special. Surely the best finisher in the world as well, unstoppable near the line. 9/10
12. Ma'a Nonu: Another good game. One of his kicks was simply beautiful, though it means he'll continue to think he's a playmaking 12...That said no complaints really this game, he was busier, got some nice turnovers and was the All Blacks only distributing centre. 7.5/10
13. Malaki Fekitoa: My only real criticism of him before the game was that he rarely passed, instead taking it himself. In the first half he did exactly that and perhaps cost us some scoring opportunities. In the second half it seems he was told to pass more, which resulted in him taking all the wrong options of when to pass. Second test and first starting so it can be forgiven, and he was good as usual in defense, and showed glimpses of what he can do ball in hand. With that said, plenty to improve on. 6/10.
14. Cory Jane: He needed a good game, and he had a pretty good one. His fend seemed to be working again and was a bit better under the high ball. Not sure if it's enough to keep Piatau out, but was certainly an improvement. 7.5/10
15. Ben Smith: Another very good game from Ben Smith. The guy has a huge work-rate for a fullback, and reads where space is very well. Hopefully this will convince the coaches that he's better than Dagg! 8/10

16. Keven Mealamu: Don't recall him doing anything special at all, and our scrum was suffering when he came on. 6/10.
17. Charlie Faumuina: I don't rate his scrummaging at all. England admittedly replaced their front row and both Brookes and Mullan seemed to provide impact, but Faumuina was pretty pants. 4.5/10.
18. Wyatt Crockett: Well, he got a yellow card and remains a penalty machine. He joined a losing scrum so can't really criticize his scrummaging too much. Still, not a positive impact. 5.5/10
19. Patrick Tuipolotu: Really got a bit of a token sub in the last few minutes. For the short time he was on he looked reasonably good. 6.5/10.
20. Liam Messam: Offered no impact in my opinion. He did what he does, and he made a reasonable number of tackles when he was on, but none of them stopped England making 3-4m past the advantage line. He got a lot of credit for a turnover which was really him catching a ball and passing it, as someone else (Woodcock?) ripped the ball out. Either way, we seemed to lack physicality when he came on and I think if we were to replace Read at halftime, Vito would have done a much better job. 5.5/10
21. TJ Peranara: I like him, but he slowed the game down too much, and he still takes that half step before he passes. His option taking wasn't amazing either, yes we scored a try eventually by just constantly hitting the blindside, but it was really just through magic by Cory Jane. Felt his decision making wasn't great and his delivery was a step down from Smith. 6.5/10
22. Beuden Barrett: Again was probably a small step down from Cruden. His running game was pretty decent but some of his kicks were pretty uninspired. His defense wasn't bad though. 7/10
23. Ryan Crotty: Ironically probably made the most impact of the subs in his short time on. Great defensive work, especially that textbook hit on Yarde. 7.5/10

a) Savea bumping Ashton

I'll be doing an analysis and full write up of your post imminently...it will be fair and objective as always you w*nkpot! :D.*

I am actually going to do something on that England defence when i get time later on today, it has to be done...though to be fair to Ashton, Savea did steam roll Yarde last week as well...

I thought Cipriani went well yesterday, i know you think i don't like the guy but that's just not true i was a massive fan when he was at wasps, i just don't think he's been as good as you've been making out this year.

opinions, eh? :)

*(and before any of the gestapo report it, calling hima W*nkpot is a meant in jest)

Tigs Man's trolling if Olly has be superb. Almost made up for the crushing feeling of that first forty minutes. Almost.

We can take plenty of positives from this tour but I'm still left with a sour taste in my mouth after seeing so many opportunities to really be bold with selection get passed up. This was particularly true of the first test but even later on, I really question why some players were even brought along. I know time spent in the England camp is never time wasted but still.

Best outcome from the tour was seeing Burns regain his confidence so dramatically. I can't think of another player whose form seems to be so ties to what is going on upstairs. Let's hope Tigers keep this up and we'll have four genuine contenders for the 10 jersey next season.

To be fair Cipriani's tackling has never really been suspect, it was his commitment: He'd step away from tackling to leave it to someone else rather than put his body on the line.
In the last 18months he's completely U-Turned and is (at least) up to your average flyhalves tackling standard.

I wouldn't put my body on the line if i was playing for a sh*tty little club like Sale either :D

Look, i think Cips had a good tour, he looked sharp when he came on, he played really well when he got a run against the Crusaders. Burns also looked good in test 1, and struggled yesterday behind a walloped pack - the second half saw a much better upfront performance and they both looked good behind it.

Don't think either of them have done enough, or looked impressive enough to redress the current balance of standings - Myler is well outside of the current group.

My point before was not that Cips was rubbish but that Burns despite his loss of form wasn't as bad as everyone was suddenly saying - i think i was proven right on that as he looked like a different player on tour.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put my body on the line if i was playing for a sh*tty little club like Sale either :D

Look, i think Cips had a good tour, he looked sharp when he came on, he played really well when he got a run against the Crusaders. Burns also looked good in test 1, and struggled yesterday behind a walloped pack - the second half saw a much better upfront performance and they both looked good behind it.

Don't think either of them have done enough, or looked impressive enough to redress the current balance of standings - Myler is well outside of the current group.

My point before was not that Cips was rubbish but that Burns despite his loss of form wasn't as bad as everyone was suddenly saying - i think i was proven right on that as he looked like a different player on tour.

Cips is a country mile ahead of Burns (who has the mind problems that Cips has recovered from) who had a shocking season and Cips now should be considered the outright number 2 choice behind Farrell....Ford needs more time to prove himself in big games!

My opinion!

Just watched the first half now.

Thought the guys under pressure from last week,Cruden and Jane had great games. Cruden controlled play and had great execution, Jane was solid, beat his man a few times and showed that good rugby brain of his.

Out loosies were fantastic, this has to be the starting lineup.

Savea was beast mode.

Fekitoa made a few bad calls, passing at bad times and not passing at all, due to his strength and ability he managed to cover it up nicely most of the time.

Hansen really is quite smart, lets his key guys play back into form, backs them when they are down and knows when to introduce/blood new talent.

I thought the yellow card for Vunipola was a bit harsh, was creeping up but didn't appear to have much intent, outside of that his general play was average.

Yarde made a few defensive errors he needs to fix.

Manu was now where near his form of test 1 and just really really out of position.

Brown looked really out of place again, had heard so much about him before the series and a lot of NH voices had him as the best fullback in the world. The game here is faster and you have more pressure on you in that role in the SH, was great for him though from a learning point as he certainly appears to have potential.

All in all a great first half by the AB's.

The irony being he has shown 10 times more commitment for Sale than he did for Wasps :D

Think what your meant to say is that because the level of commitment from wasps players is that much more than the sale players, what appears to be more commitment for sale is actually less than it was for Wasps, it is just that Sale have a lower standard.

Truthfully I cant think of one player who puts in 100% for Sharks, yes maybe that young player (Seaman or something) just starting that you were talking about earlier has potential, but he needs to show it now unless he is building up for the 2019 WC in Japan.

;)

FOaBwKn.jpg

U wot m8

Latest posts