First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
New%20Zealand.png

as i am nearly done with the threads i'll do the ranked no.1 team new zealand

so there were no loses for the all blacks last year absolutely amazing. and some discussions i hear are will Benji Marshall play for the all-blacks and where will he play ?. well im sure he is a number 10 for the blues so i think he'll play there for the all blacks i may be wrong though. i would also like to see TJ Perenara win his first cap he is a talented scrum half. who would you think the all blacks fullback be for the series because Charles Piutau is playing really well for the blues or will it be israel dagg which i dont actually know how he's doing. i think its about time to give Robbie Fruean a place in the allblacks, because he's uncapped for the all-blacks isn't he ? so he needs to be in the quad i think. i also have a feeling that we might be seeing Colin Slade in the squad which i would look forward to seeing.

so the all blacks fixtures are like:

New Zealand vs England
7 June 2014, 19:35 NZST (UTC+12)
Eden Park, Auckland, New Zealand

New Zealand vs England
14 June 2014, 19:35 NZST (UTC+12)
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin, New Zealand

New Zealand vs England
21 June 2014, 19:35 NZST (UTC+12)
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand

as funny as it is there are two different threads about the same tour, it's actually probably a better option. On this forum the English would likely only talk about England and the NZ'ers only about NZ without ever crossing paths though on the same thread. Might as well have two separate ones for each side ! :p

yeah i was thinking about but yeah its mainly so the nz can talk on this forum about the stuff and the english can talk about they're's in they're own thread

TJ Perenara may well get his first cap, but those other players are all unlikely to feature.

I guess it's too early to predict who will be in, and who will be out - injuries will undoubtedly effect the selections, but, I'm not sure that Colin Slade or Benji Marshall will make it, as the first choice 10's should be Aaron Cruden and Beauden Barrett, with probably Tom Taylor being the third option. Robbie Fruean is having another heart operation, so I'm not sure if the AB selectors see him as a viable/reliable option. I would like to see a genuine outside centre chosen in addition to Conrad Smith, as I'm not sure that Ben Smith is the answer there ... maybe they'll use Ryan Crotty to cover 12 and 13, or they select a real outsider such as Tom Marshall (although I don't think he's played outside centre yet) or Malakai Fekitoa

Indeed, Ben Smith could finally start as the first choice fullback, unless Israel Dagg's form improves (and he's got plenty for that to happen). Charles Piutau is another option at fullback.

... I'm quite a big Perenara fan, but I think he will have to become more consistent for the Hurricanes, if he wants to get selected/see any game time.

Shame about Fruean I watched the crusaders vs chiefs game and he was epic bursting through tackles and knocking people down in defence. He's like the New Zealand Tuilagi..... that means he can pass as well :D Quick question why is there a sudden shortage of centres in New Zealand ? I remember in the RWC that players like Fruean where not getting in and now you don't have a out and out outside centre.
I used the word out too much.

Shame about Fruean I watched the crusaders vs chiefs game and he was epic bursting through tackles and knocking people down in defence. He's like the New Zealand Tuilagi..... that means he can pass as well :D Quick question why is there a sudden shortage of centres in New Zealand ? I remember in the RWC that players like Fruean where not getting in and now you don't have a out and out outside centre.
I used the word out too much.

We still have the best outside centre in the world (Conrad Smith), but we don't have a lot of depth behind him. Ben Smith was solid for the AB's during the end of last season (when Conrad was on sabbatical), but was not near as effective as he was on the wing. SBW was a midfield option during the RWC but he is back playing league (though will be back in union again next season), while the likes of Rene Ranger and Richard Kahui went overseas last season (Kahui in particular is a top class international centre). Toeava was another goodish centre option who has left since 2011. Crotty is a solid option at 13, and Ben Smith looked to be slowly growing into the position at the end of last year. 13 is still an area of concern (should Conrad Smith get injured), but I'm much more worried about other areas (particularly LH prop and hooker).

Fair enough is there any chance that Toeava or Kahui can come back in time for the world cup ? I'm hoping you say no so we all stand a chance :)

Fair enough is there any chance that Toeava or Kahui can come back in time for the world cup ? I'm hoping you say no so we all stand a chance :)

Kahui may come back, but he is incredibly injury prone so is unlikely to be fit even if he did return. Not sure what the story is with Toeava's contract, but he is just about as injury prone as Kahui, so the same story applies! I forgot to mention Tamati Ellison as another centre option who has left last season (now playing for the Melbourne Rebels). If Nonu, SBW, and Conrad Smith are fit they will be the main midfield options in 2015, with Ben Smith (and possible Piutau) providing cover at 13, and Dan Carter (if fit....) providing cover at 12. A few ifs in there....

Kahui may come back, but he is incredibly injury prone so is unlikely to be fit even if he did return. Not sure what the story is with Toeava's contract, but he is just about as injury prone as Kahui, so the same story applies! I forgot to mention Tamati Ellison as another centre option who has left last season (now playing for the Melbourne Rebels). If Nonu, SBW, and Conrad Smith are fit they will be the main midfield options in 2015, with Ben Smith (and possible Piutau) providing cover at 13, and Dan Carter (if fit....) providing cover at 12. A few ifs in there....

Yep, any of those guys that are currently out of the country, that are mentioned would be great ... I think Kahui would be my pick as a 13, if he can remain fit ... I'm sure most or all of them will be in the frame next year, but in the interim (this year), I think they'll use Crotty to cover both 12 and 13.

... As for the Hookers, I guess they'll go with three of them ... probably Mealamu, Dane coles, ... and maybe Liam Coltman? and Loosehead Props, Tony Woodcock (although who knows how much longer he can go, and Ben Franks (who's form is pretty good for the Canes right now), maybe it's time to have another look at Whopper (Jamie MackIntosh), although he seems to get penalised a lot at scrum time, like Wyatt Crockett, who I don't personally want to see back because of the number of penalties he gives away

Last edited:
Yep, any of those guys that are currently out of the country, that are mentioned would be great ... I think Kahui would be my pick as a 13, if he can remain fit ... I'm sure most or all of them will be in the frame next year, but in the interim (this year), I think they'll use Crotty to cover both 12 and 13.

... As for the Hookers, I guess they'll go with three of them ... probably Mealamu, Dane coles, ... and maybe Liam Coltman? and Loosehead Props, Tony Woodcock (although who knows how much longer he can go, and Ben Franks (who's form is pretty good for the Canes right now), maybe it's time to have another look at Whopper (Jamie MackIntosh), although he seems to get penalised a lot at scrum time, like Wyatt Crockett, who I don't personally want to see back because of the number of penalties he gives away

I imagine Mealamu, Coles, and Coltman will be the three hookers chosen, but none of those options fill me with that much confidence. Mealamu is past his best and struggles to even get on the field these days due to persistant calf problems. Coles has been solid at test level and has some intriguing skills for a hooker, but I still worry slightly about his lack of physicality and his habit of sitting out on the wing rather than hitting breakdowns. I'm a massive fan of Coltman but his lineout throwing still needs work, and he is not yet proven at Super Rugby level, let alone test level.

In terms of LH prop Woodcock is still our best option, but he has been slowly going downhill for the last few seasons. Crockett seems to have the AB's selectors faith but as you say he is a penalty magnet at scrum time. Ben Franks is probably the form LH prop but I worry about his discipline, and the AB's selectors seem to see him more as a TH option. Joe Moody is a good ITM Cup player but is unproven even at Super Rugby level. Toomaga-Allen is for some reason seen as a LH option even though he has played little (if any) rugby on the LH side at Super Rugby level. John Schwalger is an ex-AB, but has shown nothing for Wellington/the Canes to suggest that will change. MackIntosh is good around the field but would get destroyed by international TH's. I do like the look of Hames, but it is far too soon for him. I don't think there is any reason to panic about our LH options, I would be a bit worried if Woodcock got injured though....

could a kiwi give me a likely NZ 23 for this summer, based on any knowledge/rumors about Henson's intentions or customs for this mid-year tour ?

Ben SMith and Piutau as first choice FBs for sure. I fear that Dagg may still make the first XV though due to his skillset, rather than being the 'form 15'.

I expect NZ's 23 will be pretty much the ones who played in the Autumn tests, with Conrad Smith back at 13 and Dan Carter off on his sabbatical. Maybe Perenara and Coltman to be given bench duty in the 3rd test if the ABs wrap up the test series by test 2. The ABs are lucky that they have a settled 23 that now it is about tweaking one or two positions, particularly the back up.

Ben SMith and Piutau as first choice FBs for sure. I fear that Dagg may still make the first XV though due to his skillset, rather than being the 'form 15'.

Just as he has for the last 2 years :) Like you I think Dagg will be picked, but it is a waste to not pick the best fullback in NZ rugby at 15....

could a kiwi give me a likely NZ 23 for this summer, based on any knowledge/rumors about Henson's intentions or customs for this mid-year tour ?

As The_Blindside states the AB's have a very settled side at the moment, so I don't expect many surprises in the 23 named. I expect we will see something along the lines of:
1. Woodcock, 2. Coles, 3. O Franks, 4. Retallick, 5. Whitelock, 6. Messam, 7. McCaw, 8. Read, 9. A Smith, 10. Cruden, 11. Savea, 12. Nonu, 13. C Smith, 14. B Smith, 15. Dagg
16. Mealamu, 17. Crockett, 18. Faumuina, 19. Luatua/Romano, 20. Cane/Luatua, 21. Kerr-Barlow, 22. Barrett, 23. Piutau

The likes of Ben Franks, Liam Coltman, Dom Bird, Jerome Kaino, TJ Perenara, Tom Taylor, Francis Saili, Ryan Crotty, and Cory Jane could also feature, but are unlikely to play major roles (unless there are injuries, or Kaino plays like the Kaino of 2011...).

Such a boring lineup :p

Does anyone think we might see a bolter or two this year? As it stands at the moment the Chiefs might be able to throw out a guy or two, they're really the only team doing much experimentation with young guys in their lineup (except maybe for the Highlanders).

Such a boring lineup :p

Does anyone think we might see a bolter or two this year? As it stands at the moment the Chiefs might be able to throw out a guy or two, they're really the only team doing much experimentation with young guys in their lineup (except maybe for the Highlanders).
Yeah hooker is the only obvious place I would see a few new names.

Maybe with the Props? Perhaps dropping Woodcock and/or Ben Franks?

In saying that, I still think Barrett should start at 10 over Cruden. :p

how about James Lowe as a possible Bolter? He looked pretty tasty when I watched the recent Chiefs games.

Latest posts