2014 Six Nations..

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
hey,
I know the EOYT hasn't even STARTED yet, and though it's got some fantastic matchups, I'm really looking forward to the 6N most.
I bet some of you haven't checked out the fixtures:

Six Nations fixtures

Saturday, 1 February
Wales v Italy (14:30 GMT), France v England (17:00 GMT)
Sunday, 2 February
Ireland v Scotland (15:00 GMT)

Saturday, 8 February

Ireland v Wales (14:30 GMT), Scotland v England (17:00 GMT)
Sunday, 9 February

France v Italy (15:00 GMT)

Friday, 21 February

Wales v France (20:00 GMT)
Saturday 22 February

Italy v Scotland (13:30 GMT), England v Ireland (16:00 GMT)

Saturday, 8 March

Ireland v Italy (14:30 GMT), Scotland v France (17:00 GMT)
Sunday, 9 March

England v Wales (15:00 GMT)

Saturday, 15 March

Italy v England (12:30 GMT), Wales v Scotland (14:45 GMT), France v Ireland (17:00 GMT)

I know we ought to sit through the Autumn tests to see what form the teams are on, but I can't hide I have a feeling France will take this.
We'll beat England at home, Italy at home (coz we can't beat them in Rome !!), lose in Cardiff, win in MField, and beat Ireland at home (and finally break that annoying draw streak).
All this magnificent bullshyt is based on the idea that the next few Autumn tests won't necessarily be indicative of what's to come.

According to some obscure characters on these boards.....I jinx fixtures' outcomes. I certainly hope the exact opposite of all that will happen !..

It may sound far-fetched to some, but I think the time is just about right for a French Grand Slam.

I say England loses in France (finally...), win in MField, beat Ireland at home, finally beat Wales at home....AND LOSE IN ITALY !! (tadaaah...)

Nope

( :p )
No idea what will happen - in theory it's Frances, as they always win after a Lions tour, in practise.... God knows.

Nope

( :p )
No idea what will happen - in theory it's Frances, as they always win after a Lions tour, in practise.... God knows.

STOP...JUST STOP TYPING THAT WORD !!

I can't quite see Wales getting it AGAIN...for some reason it's like there's a natural limit, or like historical trends in the making...from a technical standpoint, Wales have good chemistry+a fantastic FB who makes all his kicks, a huge scrum and giant backs - but for some reason it doesn't seem like it's that likely they'll win again.

Similarly, France has sucked enough recently, reaching an all-time low in the 6N in fact (last year's Wooden Spoon for the first time) - that it seems likely they'll finally ripost with an interesting campaign this season..

Ireland...meh...
Italy no way, Scotland just can't do it either...

England are always strong, but...they don't seem to be favorites somehow either, I just couldn't say with absolute ease and confidence: "England will win this year". While it's still fairly likely, nonetheless.

Personally, and it may be absolute BS, but:
France
England
Wales

in order of probability.

I have a sneaking feeling that Wales will win again and Welsh people will become insufferable for the next decade.

We have Joe Schmidt no need for discussion.

Though given how Leinster are playing at the moment I am a bit worried for the year ahead.

We aren't already?

Good Point Well Made.

However, to be more serious, I think there's an accumulation of factors that weight heavily against Wales. I wouldn't rule them out but the following things

- Lions Fatigue
- Adam Jones not looking as dominant as previously
- Hibbard suffering under the new laws
- Mike Philips' arguable decline
- The extra workload now on Lydiate, Roberts and North
- Being the target/most heavily worked out team

Seem to weigh against a Welsh success. Again, not saying it's going to happen, but it leads me to believe this could be one of those fallow years.

As Olyy said, on paper, this should be France's, but who knows? Scotland and Italy could both be dark horses but you've got got to question the quality in key areas. England might do it, but my feeling is there will have to be something of a revolution; there is the depth to rotate our Lions players and keep them fresh if we wish to. I think we'd need to do that though, that and be suddenly successful in adopting a more attacking mindset. Ireland - depends how quickly Schmidt imposes his mark. In a lot of ways they did well from the Lions tour - Murray and O'Brien visibly grew, Healy didn't really take part, O'Driscoll used very sparingly. I'll repeat, it should be France's, but I'm not sure France know how to win it right now.

You've also got Rory Best.

Less of your trolling.

Will any of Scotland's "project" players be eligible by then? Or are we a year off that?

yeah I agree with Peat. Good points there, well, I don't think Wales are in that bad a situation though.
"France not knowing how to win the ***le" is an interesting and probably accurate statement.

The funny thing that may happen this year, though it's admittedly far-fetched, is because there isn't a clear favorite really, no one team does great and dominates the tournament. And out of the mayhem, Scotland arise the winner. They finished third last season, and who'd have thought co-favorites France and Ireland would actually be bellow them ! Imagine if the first two, Wales and England, lose a couple of games this year, and Scotland manages to survive some matches (like last year VS Ire) - with France and Ireland being mediocre themselves :p

Anyways, the way it looks to me, personally, is the following:
- Italy can't win the ***le. Full stop.

- Scotland can't win the ***le. Heck, there's a chance they'll go winless according to the calendar, think about it: they lose in Dublin, England beats them at home, they lose in Rome, France gets them at home, and finally they get punished in Cardiff.

- Ireland don't look like they're winning the ***le on paper at all, and looking at the calendar: Twickenham and Paris, and even the home match against Wales can easily go against them.

- England have 3 away matches this year, to only 2 home matches. But the home matches are great covers for them, against teams they're glad they play at home: Ireland and Wales. However, 2 of 3 away games are played against the 2 weakest teams; and while Scotland may produce a comfortable English win, Italy I feel (considering 6N results in recent years...) will be a big challenge this year. England haven't looked as poised and substantial as they usually do, in that even if they were playing a mediocre game they would still score tries and pick up good penalties. Last year they looked vulnerable at home against the Squadra Azzurra, and Italy could find that form it had against France last year to finish off the tournament on a historic note..
The Paris match opener is for France to prove their worth. Enough about potential, England should put up a strong fight and go home empty-handed.

- Wales have 3 games at home, but two tough games on the outside - Dublin and London. Whatever happens, they'll win the games at home against Italy and Scotland, but the France match will be huge, and may be tricky for Wales. If it turns out France are on a Grand Slam form, they'll go against the odds and take this one. Clearly the France at home and Twickers matches are the pivotal deciders of a potential third straight ***le, but I can't see Wales going for a GS this time.

- France: nobody has a clue who will show up. Let's be honest, nobody in the world could have predicted a WOODEN SPOON last year when they were favorites and rightfully so. They had big ball carriers, a powerful scrum, capable backs, and a SH/FH combination that was supposed to work as it had some months only prior. Depth on the bench...
Anyways: this year they've got two solid opportunities as shields to beat England and Italy (as comical as it sounds !) at home, and not going to Twickers or Rome is a big plus in itself. Then two straight road trips: Wales is pivotal, and Scotland should be ground for a strong showing on our part. Finally we return home to beat Ireland probably..especially if we've won the first 4, France has proven countless times it doesn't spoil its Grand Slam chance on the very last weekend.
Of course, we may lose to England a third straight year on opening weekend, but then end up winning the tournament. It's happened before.

BOD to finish his 6N career where he started with a hattrick and then lift the trophy a second time.

Latest posts