[2014 Super Rugby] Australian conference

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
This thread is to discuss everything regarding the Perth-based franchise that has been in the competition since 2005.

Wilhelm Steenkamp has joined the side this year and it looks like he won't be the only South African. Rumours are Sharks loose-forward Brynard Stander is on his way to Perth as well. Nothing confirmed yet, but a good signing.

Brumbies bullish on new Japanese Recruit.

Canberra Times
Rugby HeavenNews
Super Rugby
canberratimes.com.auRugby Union. .
Brumbies bullish on Japanese recruit Harumichi Tatekawa
Union News
DateJanuary 5, 2014 (1

Harumichi Tatekawa of Japan has signed with the ACT Brumbies. Photo: Getty Images
HE'S BEEN
described as a Japanese version of Australian Wallabies playmaker Matt Toomua, and the ACT Brumbies are confident their first Asian recruit will come to Canberra ready to make an immediate impact in Super Rugby. The Brumbies have signed Japan's Harumichi Tatekawa, coach Stephen Larkham confident the 23-year-old will be a contender for a Super Rugby debut in round one.

Former Australian coach and now Japan mentor Eddie Jones recommended Tatekawa to the Brumbies, while Wallabies great Toutai Kefu has declared him ''the best Japanese player I've seen''.

''How that translates to Super Rugby is a bit unknown,'' said Kefu, who coaches Tatekawa's Kubota club.

''I think he can do it, he's a talented kid. Skill-wise he can do everything and he's a big, tough boy.

Advertisement ''He's like Matt Toomua, but he's still another foot taller than Toomua and that's unusual in Japan.''

At 181-centimetres tall and 94 kilograms, Tatekawa is a back-line power player in the Japanese competition.

While Japan has long been considered a rich retirement option for ageing Australian players, the Brumbies are looking to cash in on its potential talent.

The Melbourne Rebels signed the first Japanese player in Super Rugby history when they recruited hooker Shota Horie for the past two seasons.

Tatekawa's move to Canberra is part of a development plan and there is a view an Asian side could become part of an expanded Super Rugby competition in the future.

It is understood the ARU was investigating dispensation for all five Australian teams to add an Asian player to their respective rosters to develop the game in that region.

But Larkham said Tatekawa wasn't coming to Canberra to make up numbers, backing him to push for a place in the Brumbies' starting XV for their season opener against the Queensland Reds next month.

The Brumbies will have a translator at training to help Tatekawa settle in when he arrives in the middle of this month.

His arrival will also add valuable depth while Wallabies inside-centre Christian Lealiifano recovers from post-season ankle surgery, ruling him out until at least March.

Larkham, who ended his own playing career in Japan, is confident Tatekawa is ready for Super Rugby.

''Another player in that 10-12 position is great for us, it allows depth and we're quite lucky to have Haru,'' Larkham said.

''There's going to be a lot of competition from those positions and Haru will definitely be pushing for one of those spots given his form for the Japanese team.

''Having played over in Japan for three years, they know the rugby lingo and that won't be a problem.

''The standard of footy in Japan is a little bit less than Super Rugby, but I think individual players have the skills and when you put them in a good system you'll see improvement.

''I've got no doubt Haru will be ready to play. Sometimes they don't get exposure at high-level rugby and this is a good opportunity.''

Kefu described Tatekawa as a ''unique'' talent and said getting used to the increased tempo and physicality would be his biggest challenges.

''By letting these players go to Australia, it's going to snowball development and make them better players by opening a pathway,'' Kefu said.

This could have been the 6th SA side if they keep signing Saffers

Last edited:
Absolutely love to see this- I was hoping the 2 Japanese signings last year would set the trend and it seems like they have. Most importantly, we've got to hope this acts as a platform for the development of Japanese rugby in the run up to 2019

Hopefully the ARU's plan to have a development place at each Super Franchise for Asian players will happen in the short term. If they can participate in the new NRC even better. I would say if there's an influx of Japanese players into Super Rugby then the chances of a Japanese Super team in the future should be greater. If nothing else it opens a pathway to the elite level. By making the national team more competitive then games between Japan and the Big Three become more attractive to fans and broadcasters alike. SANZAR need to penetrate the Asian market sooner rather than later.

... Who are we kidding, there aren't any force fans.

(On the forum)

Well, the Force have had more comments than the Cheetahs and Lions combined.

"Australia's Western Force on Thursday announced the signing of Sharks back-rower Brynard Stander, the eighth South African on their books, as they strengthened their squad ahead of this year's Super Rugby season.
Stander's recruitment for two seasons continues the Perth-based club's move away from a reliance on Australia's east coast-based player pool.
Stander, 23, joins fellow senior squad members Wilhelm Steenkamp, Chris Heiberg and Marcel Brache, and extended squad members Dillyn Leyds, Dylan Sage and Francois van Wyk as newcomers to the Force.
Flyhalf Sias Ebersohn returns for his second season with the club.
Stander is an abrasive and physical back-rower who can play either side of the scrum or at number eight. "

Source - www.supperrugby.co.za

Are they trying to get the Perth SA expat population to cheer the Force rather than their 'old teams'?

Stander, Steenkamp, Brache and Ebersohn are decent enough players but you won't be building a SR team around them (maybe to add depth for a mid table team at most IMO), not a competitive one in any case.. the others I don't even know!

This is a stop gap measure, I guess they will try to use the NRC to identify local talent and bridge the gap between the local competition and the elite level. The player pool from the east isn't good enough as it stands. Not big enough or deep enough in terms of depth.

They have six locals on the books but they'll need to add a few more.

[2014 Super Rugby] Waratahs

The return of Beale is one of he major topics of discussion. Folau flourished at fullback, will he keep the spot?
Campese has suggested Israel moving to outside centre, but where would AAC and Horne go? Beale or Folau out on the wing over Crawford or Betham?

The return of Beale is one of he major topics of discussion. Folau flourished at fullback, will he keep the spot?
Campese has suggested Israel moving to outside centre, but where would AAC and Horne go? Beale or Folau out on the wing over Crawford or Betham?

I will get my answer in before the inevitable flood of answer from our Australian posters ;)

The question of what to do with Folau and Beale is an interesting one. The Waratahs certainly have an abundance of backline talent - whether they are able to use it correctly is the big question! Personally I think there are two options (1) Beale at fullback and Folau on the wing (my preferred option) (2) Beale at 10 (Folau at 15), with Foley covering 10/15 from the bench. Personally I think Folau has the skill-set to be just as effective on the wing as he is at fullback, the only question would be whether he would see enough ball on the wing to make the most of his talents. With Folau on the wing it would allow Beale and Foley to share the play-making duties, as they are both equally comfortable at 10 & 15.

Personally I can't see Folau being overly effective at 13. His best attributes (his phenomenal ability under the high ball, ability to break tackles when in space etc) would be wasted, and his weaknesses (limited distribution skills, average defense) would be exposed. He could develop into a quality 13 with a few years of training, but I don't think the Waratahs have any need to play him there, especially when they have the current Wallaby 13 in there squad!

For me the ideal Waratahs backline would be as follows:
9. Phipps, 10. Foley. 11. Betham, 12. Horne, 13. AAC, 14. Folau, 15. Beale
20. McKibbin, 21. Lance/Volavola, 22. Crawford

Harumichi Tatekawa is confident he can overcome the language barrier after becoming the first Japanese player to join the Brumbies, who are looking to play him immediately at fly-half or inside centre in their first Super Rugby pre-season trial against the Highlanders in Queenstown on January 31.

Tatekawa speaks minimal English and has the support of Taishi Furukawa as a translator for just this week, with the Kubota backs coach heading home on Sunday, but Brumbies coach Stephen Larkham insists ''rugby has its own language''.

''We've got to get our structures in his head, but he's super keen to get in there,'' Larkham told Fairfax Media. ''He's a playmaker … it's positive the way he's responded and by the end of the week he'll be more up to speed. Rugby has its own language, we speak in a different lingo here.''

Tatekawa is unfazed by the challenge of joining the Brumbies, telling Fairfax Media through his translator "this isn't just a one-year plan, this is a three- or four-year plan for me and this is the first try".

''I want to improve the Japanese rugby level, to take it higher. The language barrier is a big challenge for me. Communication is a vital skill, my English has to improve. [Japan coach] Eddie [Jones] said to take on the challenge and then [go] back to Japan [as a better player].''

Tatekawa has played 20 Tests for Japan, and former Wallabies No.8 Toutai Kefu, the Kubota coach, has described him as the Japanese version of Brumbies and Wallabies five-eighth Matt Toomua.

Brumbies team-mate Scott Fardy, the Wallabies flanker who debuted at Test level only after playing in Japan for three years, has confidence the Cherry Blossoms star will settle in Canberra.

''In rugby, a lot of the terms we use are the same, so he should pick it up pretty quickly," Fardy told Fairfax Media. " Communication is always going to be hard and the physicality is different. But Haru looks at home already and he's a big boy as well.''

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Related LinksNews: Super Rugby 2014 pre-season fixtures External Link

Any chance of Volavola playing at 12?

Personally I'd like a Waratahs backline of

9.Phipps, 10.Foley, 11.Betham, 12.Volavola, 13.AAC, 14.Crawford, 15.Folau
20.McKibbin, 21.Beale, 22.Horne

Any chance of Volavola playing at 12?

Personally I'd like a Waratahs backline of

9.Phipps, 10.Foley, 11.Betham, 12.Volavola, 13.AAC, 14.Crawford, 15.Folau
20.McKibbin, 21.Beale, 22.Horne

Beale over Crawford every day of the week and Horne will probably start too. Where does everyone see Beale playing this year?

at 10 and have brilliant games the first 3 rounds, then make a hash off it, Foley take over and he moves to 15 and he starts drinking again ;)

at 10 and have brilliant games the first 3 rounds, then make a hash off it, Foley take over and he moves to 15 and he starts drinking again ;)

Haha good call, we'll come back in a few weeks and see if you are right.

Latest posts