• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New players to watch?

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
As another season begins a host of new faces will be revealed to the world in Super Rugby colours for the first time.

Who should we be looking out for? Who do you anticipate will make an impact when given the opportunity?

I've got a small list of New Zealand players (I tried to restrict is to two players per franchise, and preferably players who haven't yet been capped at Super level) who I think could be superstars for their respective franchises within the next couple of years.

Blues

Forward - Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland Lock)
Tuipulotu was a bit of an unknown last year prior to the ITM Cup. He was one of the star performers for a good Auckland side, with a great work rate. The Blues are notoriously weak when it comes to the second row this year, and with only one Super Rugby proven performer in Tom Donnelly (a player who plays 60 minutes at best), Tuipulotu could be looking at getting some serious game time this year.

Back - Benji Marshall (Auckland First Five)
Need much be said? After being trumpeted as a potential fullback option this season it looks like Marshall will be given the coveted 10 jersey straight from the get go. Last year one of the Blues' biggest weaknesses was the lack of a strong player consistently playing first five, and much of their success this season will depend on how quickly Marshall adjusts to Union.

Chiefs

Forward - Liam Squire (Tasman Number 8)
Squire is big, strong and fast. He's an ideal physical specimen to play in one of the few Chiefs jerseys not yet owned by any of last year's players. While it's likely someone like Kane Thompson will begin the season at the back of the scrum, if injuries strike then it wouldn't be surprising to see Squire given a go. He had a very good season for Tasman last year and hopefully will bring that form into Super Rugby.

Back - James Lowe (Tasman Wing)
Arguably the biggest strength the Chiefs have is their ridiculous depth. Whilst they have few test players, they have a torrent of quality Super Rugby starters, which means that they're the best team equipped to deal with injuries. James Lowe shows enough promise to indicate that he may be another one of those quality players. Like Squire he was one of the key performers in a brilliant Tasman team in 2013, finishing well for the Makos and doing his part in a number of attacking movements. Lowe will probably have a good chance at starting early in the season due to a fair few injuries the Chiefs have at the moment - if he takes his chance he may be a starter later in the season too.

Hurricanes

Forward - Mark Abbott (Hawke's Bay Lock)
Whilst the Hurricanes have had a number of okay locks over the years, it's been a long time since it was really a strength of theirs. Thrush, Eaton, Broadhurst and players of that ilk are fine, but they don't set the world alight. Abbott, on the hand, looks to change that. He's not the tallest of men, sitting just under two metres, but he's a heavy grafter and not afraid to do the grunt work. With guys like Broadhurst more likely to be found in the backline than in the rucks, someone like Abbott could do wonders for the Hurricanes. Look to see him getting a start early in the season and pushing on from there.

Back - Marty Bankes (Tasman First Five)
Although a fantastic performer for Tasman at 10 last season, it looks like Bankes may find himself starting the season for the Hurricanes as their first choice fullback. Bankes has been strong in the three pre-season matches to date and appears to be preferred ahead of Andre Taylor at this point in this, given Taylor's exclusion from the Hurricanes' touring squad to South Africa. Bankes is a prodigal kicker and while many thought he was outshone by another young first five, Ihaia West, in the ITM Cup last season, he is no slouch and is certainly a much safer player.

Crusaders

Forward - Jordan Taufua (Canterbury Loose Forward)
When looking through the Crusaders squad it became pretty evident that they're a very experienced team, given that very few of their players are uncapped. Taufua received some game time last year but was generally selected behind Luke Whitelock when Read wasn't playing. Given the massive depth in the loosies for the Crusaders Taufua may find himself again not receiving heaps of games time, but he's shown in his few appearances that if given the chance he will make a big impact. Taufua has been one of the best players in the pre-season for the Crusaders and may find himself starting at 8 against the Chiefs in the first match of the season with Read sitting it out. Watch him surpass Luke Whitelock as the next cab of the ranks at 8 if Read is rested in any further matches.

Back - Johnny McNicholl (Canterbury Outside Back)
Again, the lack of inexperienced players in the Crusaders set up means it's hard to pick a 'new' player that will get any game time at all. McNicholl is one of a few rising stars in the outside backs for New Zealand teams and would've likely started many of the Crusaders' matches last season were it not for injury. He can cover both wing and fullback but will likely find himself rotating in the wings alongside Guildford and Nemani Nadolo. He's an elusive runner, a strong kicker and defensively safe, I'm expecting big things from McNicholl this year, he's the kind of guy that could force himself in All Blacks contention come June.

Highlanders

Forward - Gareth Evans (Otago Flanker)
The exodus of quality players from the Highlanders squad has been well documented, but one area where they look to be better than last year is in the loose forwards. Evans was close to being Otago's best player last season, even when asked to play out of position, and would be an ideal starter for a side which at times lacks substance. Evans is a hard worker and moves countless bodies so should be able to help the Highlanders set a solid platform while also being a very secure defender.

Back - Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland Centre)
On the other end of the scale, the Highlanders last season lacked flair in the backs at times - particularly when stricken with injuries. With neither of the midfield positions sewn up by other players, Fekitoa looms as a potential dark horse for the southerners and could find himself starting matches fairly early in the season. He would add size to a relatively small backline and would provide the Highlanders with some heavy impact up the middle.

So, those are my picks for the season - I wouldn't be surprised seeing one of them pick up the best new player of the season come the end of the year!

Who are your picks?

Excellent write-up there Mr Fish!

My thoughts:

Blues

I'm really looking forward to see Tuipolotu get his chance. He is a massive unit and really impressed me a U20 level. As you say he has an excellent opportunity to establish himself at Super Rugby level given the dearth of quality locks at the Blues.

I don't have high hopes for Benji Marshall - 10 is not an easy position to play, and I suspect it will take more than a few warm-up games for him to be ready for Super Rugby. I would like to see a bit more of Tu'ungafasi this season, but he would need a few injuries for this to happen. Visinia could get some time on the wing early in the season (if they are using Moala at centre) and is a exciting young player. He is a big strong guy with a good work-rate and low error rate - I think he is better suited to fullback than wing though.

Chiefs

I think Squire has an excellent chance to grab the Chiefs 8 jersey. He lacks experience, but he could potentially bring a lot more to the table than Kane Thomson (who will do a solid, if unspectacular job). He is incredibly fast for a number 8, and is an excellent line-out option too. The only real question is whether he can translate his ITM Cup for to Super Rugby level. Matt Symons has impressed in the off-season with his fitness levels, but is probably a little way down the pecking order (due to his inexperience).

I do like the look of Lowe - he is another big strong guy, who always seems to back himself. He is quite versatile too (able to play wing, centre, or fullback), but I think he will be lucky to get much time for the Chiefs if everyone is fit as the Chiefs have a lot of depth. He might get a chance at the start of the season though, as the Chiefs seem to have a lot of injuries....

Hurricanes

I suspect Ardie Savea will have a massive season, but he did play a couple of games for the Hurricanes last season (so putting him here is probably pushing it), and I'm sure most people will know what to expect from him. I'm not sure what to expect from Abbott - he is perhaps slightly undersized for a lock which may count against him. Banks is obviously the Canes rookie everyone is expecting the most out of. He really came from nowhere last season - everything he tried seemed to turn to gold. I'm expecting he will have a big season this year whether it be backing up Barrett or starting at fullback.

Crusaders

As you say there are few true rookies for the Crusaders - only Nadolo and Drummond have yet to play Super Rugby (I assume Nadolo didn't get any matches for the Waratahs?). I'm not expecting much from Drummond this season, but Nadolo could have an impact. I say could, as I really have no idea what to expect. He looks fantastic carving up the Japanese league, but Super Rugby is another story. He certainly has the pace and power, but will the Crusaders be willing to include someone who is known to have a poor work-rate, and is a liability on defense? I wonder whether he will be used mainly as an impact sub, as I imagine he could cause damage against tiring defenses!

I'm a massive fan of McNicholl - his outside swerve is a thing of beauty. Taufua is very talented too, and I would love to see more of him at Super Rugby level (as he is a better player than Luke Whitelock!). His lack of height is a limitation (as he is barely 6'), but he is one of the explosive ball running loose-forwards in NZ rugby (if not the most explosive). He does need to work on his accuracy, but he could really cause a lot of damage to the opposition if they unleash him.

Highlanders

Quite a few new players at the Highlanders. I'm expecting big things out of Matias Diaz. The 20 year-old TH prop has already been capped for Argentina, which tells me he must be pretty handy! The Highlanders don't have a lot of quality in the front row, so he has a good chance to establish himself in the Highlanders starting lineup. Otago lock Tom Franklin is another I'm expecting a lot of out of. He was the pick of the Otago side last season in my opinion. He has a good work-rate, is an excellent lineout option, and his ball running game really impressed last season. He has a lot of competition, but personally it wouldn't surprise me if he was the Highlanders first choice number 5 by the end of the season. Gareth Evans is an intriguing prospect. He reminds me a lot of Adam Thomson (minus a couple of inches in height and some curly hair). He is excellent at turning over the ball at the breakdown for a 6, is a dangerous broken field runner, and seems to have a good work-rate. I'm just not convinced he has the physicality required for Super Rugby, but time will tell.

Fekitoa is the pick of our new backs (as I really don't rate Frae Wilson!). His handling lets him down at times, but he can be very dangerous with ball in hand, and generally look reliable on defense. The Highlanders are stacked with centre this season but have a real shortage of outside backs - it wouldn't surprise me to see Fekitoa in the 11 jersey at the start of the season.

Last edited:
The difference between Tom Franklin and Mark Abbot is 2cm - while Abbot is the slightly heavier of the two. I'm a fan of big locks, but in the grand scheme of things that half inch isn't going to count for much.

The difference between Tom Franklin and Mark Abbot is 2cm - while Abbot is the slightly heavier of the two. I'm a fan of big locks, but in the grand scheme of things that half inch isn't going to count for much.

I think this is a good example why you shouldn't trust listed heights/weights. I would be very surprised if Abbott is as tall/heavy as listed. He spent most of his early career as a number 8, and he was smaller than most of the locks that he came up against in the ITM Cup last season. In contrast Tom Franklin looks at least as tall as listed (he looks taller than Tom Donnelly, who is listed 1cm taller than him), and is at least 5kg's heavier than his listed weight (as he has bulked up a lot in the last year or so). If we lined up Franklin and Abbott side by side I think there would be a noticeable size difference. Abbott certainly isn't tiny by lock standard, but I think it is fair to say he would be among the smaller locks in Super Rugby...

Raymond Rhule, left wing from Cheetahs, just 21 years. He made his first SupeRugby's try today. Watch out!

Raymond Rhule, left wing from Cheetahs, just 21 years. He made his first SupeRugby's try today. Watch out!

Surely that can't be right? I remeber scoring Rhule scoring a number of tries last season possibly even a hattrick or am I getting mixed up?

I've read some reports about Alofa Alofa (that is right), new winger for Waratahs; looks like a hot stepper like a young Ioane. I wonder whether Foxsports fantasy rugby will bring him in as I see he is selected to start for the 'Tahs against the Farce this weekend.

From an SA POV;
Stormers
Ruan Botha
; young lock, part of 2012 successful junior Bok team and our new main line-out operator with Bekker in Japan. A good prospect. Time will tell if he can make a step up.
Cheslin Kolbe; Another junior Bok, this time probably our best player of the 2013 team. Fullback/wing. Tiny but steps and accelerates like Gio Aplon on tik. Like Aplon also has a lot of heart and won't allow a Nadolo to get past him. He won't tackle him backwards but he'll tackle him.
Damian de Allende; big inside center that'll probably play wing with Habana gone but might play at 12 again if JdV or another center gets a rest. Not flashy but very effective.

Not newbies but look for improved performances from Frans Malherbe (TH prop), Scarra Ntubeni (Hooker) and Jaco Taute (utility back, mainly 15), all in their 2nd year for the Stormers, all young and two with senior Bok caps while Ntubeni travelled along and is a very promising young hooker.
There are some other guys (Scott van Breda, Pat Howard the ones I like the most- both utility backs) but I doubt they'll start unless we suffer injuries.

Good to see that Bankes, Abbott and McNicholl are all starting matches this week, as well as Ofa Tu'ungafasi. Potentially we could see Lowe, Squire, Tuipulotu and Marshall off the bench too! Just waiting on the Highlanders team to be named now...

I've read some reports about Alofa Alofa (that is right), new winger for Waratahs; looks like a hot stepper like a young Ioane. I wonder whether Foxsports fantasy rugby will bring him in as I see he is selected to start for the 'Tahs against the Farce this weekend.

I looked information about him and saw that he was born in Auckland. He could be selected to play for Wallabies?

For the Rebels, Sean McMahon and not sure how much game time he will get but Jack Debreczeni is supposed to have a lot of potential.

I looked information about him and saw that he was born in Auckland. He could be selected to play for Wallabies?

Being born in New Zealand is almost a prerequisite to playing for the Wallabies ;). But yes, he's lived in Australia longer than three years.

Being born in New Zealand is almost a prerequisite to playing for the Wallabies ;). But yes, he's lived in Australia longer than three years.
Kiwis have to play international rugby somewhere, can't get in ahead of the Samoans at home.

For the Bulls:

Jacques Du Plessis
images

20 years old
119 kg's
2.01 m

Plays flanker and lock. This beast was one of the standout players last year for the baby boks during the Junior World Cup. He played one game last year for the Bulls during the Super Rugby tournament, but was only on the field for 15minutes as he came on as a sub.

He has now made the step-up and is seen as a regular and will most probably start most games in the place of injured Arno Botha.

Handre Pollard
images

Another Baby Bok in the new-look Bulls team. He made his Super Rugby Debut last week against the Sharks when he came on as a sub.

He can play flyhalf and centre. Has been touted as one of the up-and-coming Springbok players. Has to take over the reigns that Morne Steyn has left at the Bulls. He is yet another one of the new group of running flyhalves that SA has all of a sudden produced.

Not new, nearly new, but really hopefully of seeing more of the Blues Tevita Li this year, seen he's already on the bench for tomorrows game. Boy has got some real talent.

I think some Lions players will be selected to play for Boks, if they continue with good performances

Excellent write-up there Mr Fish!

...Fekitoa is the pick of our new backs (as I really don't rate Frae Wilson!). His handling lets him down at times, but he can be very dangerous with ball in hand, and generally look reliable on defense. The Highlanders are stacked with centre this season but have a real shortage of outside backs - it wouldn't surprise me to see Fekitoa in the 11 jersey at the start of the season.

i would rather have seen someone like brad weber as the third choice....does make you wonder, robinson, whoppa, croswell, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Schwalger and now weber have all found spots in the Champion Chiefs when discarded by either otago or the highlanders...[/FONT]

For the Sharks, I see several players who can make a huge impact on the teams performace.

First up, Etienne Oosthuizen
45393.png

Solid lock who can play flanker as well. Played for the Brumbies last season but did not get a chance to show his full potential. With the Sharks, he can compete for a spot in the Bok squad. Bresler and du Toit are the obvious starters, but this youngster might surprise everyone.

Pieter-Steph du Toit
51385.png

another young lock who proved himself last season and made his Bok debut in November. This season, he can make an impact from the start

SP Marais
46266.png

Marais played for the Kings last year, and moved to the Sharks in June. Had a very solid Currie Cup campaign and is the 1st choice for the full-back position, with Ludik (France) and Viljoen (Japan) gone.

Heimar Williams
49825.png

After captaining a u20 Natal Sharks team for 2 years, he has the potential to make the step up. Made his professional debut in last years Currie Cup, and now has his Super Rugby debut. With the rotation coming in further in the season, this guy can cover inside- and outside center.

Latest posts