• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Super Rugby] New players to watch?

i would rather have seen someone like brad weber as the third choice....does make you wonder, robinson, whoppa, croswell, Schwalger and now weber have all found spots in the Champion Chiefs when discarded by either otago or the highlanders...

The problem with Weber is his lack of size. Not that I think think having a small halfback is necessarily a major issue, but the Highlanders already have probably the two smallest NZ halfbacks in Super Rugby. The one things that Frae Wilson brings is a bit of physicality to the halfback position. He is not huge (around 90kg), but is much bigger than Smith and Tanaka, and plays a very different style (he reminds me in some ways of Jimmy Cowan). I'm sure Wilson's more abrasive nature appeals to Joseph (along with the fact he has played for Wellington & NZ Maori - important factors in Highlanders selection these days!).

I'd add Stephan Lewies, Zeq. Very promising second row who can duplicate PSdTs role in the lineout. Also can have a good turn of pace, as seen yesterday. Oosthuizen and Bresler will partner one of those two as the muscle.

Latest posts