• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Round 12 - Melbourne Rebels V Sharks

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
What??? ... No Rebels V Sharks thread ... are well, I'll start one then.

Rebels.png

... The Rebels named as per Fox Sport site http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super-rugby/line-ups ... sorry about the alignment of the numbers (copied from a table)

Melbourne Rebels

Cruze Ah-Nau 1
Shota Horie 2
Laurie Weeks 3
Cadeyrn Neville 4
Luke Jones 5
Colby Faingaa 6
Scott Fuglistaller 7
Scott Higginbotham 8
Luke Burgess 9
Bryce Hegarty 10
Tom English 11
Mitch Inman 12
Tamati Ellison 13
Male Sau 14
Jason Woodward 15

Reserves
Pat Leafa 16
Max Lahiff 17
Paul Alo-Emile 18
Hugh Pyle 19
Sean McMahon 20
Nic Stirzaker 21
Tom Kingston 22
Angus Roberts 23
Versus Super.png

Sharks.png

... the Sharks team has been named :) ... and here it is ... courtesy of South Africa's Sport24 site http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Weekend-teams-20110203

Sharks
15. Lwazi Mvovo, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. Paul Jordaan, 12. Heimar Williams, 11. JP Pietersen, 10. Francois Steyn, 9. Charl McLeod, 8. Ryan Kankowski, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Stephan Lewies, 4. Willem Alberts, 3. Jannie du Plessis, 2. Bismarck du Plessis (captain), 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Dale Chadwick, 18. Lourens Adriaanse, 19. Etienne Oosthuizen, 20. Keegan Daniel, 21. Cobus Reinach, 22. Fred Zeilinga, 23. SP Marais

... a few changes from last week, with F.Steyn moving from 12 to the 10 spot, Mr B. du Plessis returning to the hooker and captain's role, J.Deysel returning, and Ryan Kankowski replacing Keegan Daniel at Number 8

Looks pretty close to the strongest run on side that the Sharks could field ... should be a good match ... the Rebels have been a bit inconsistent, but they are playing at home, where they've had a bit of success this year

Last edited:
That Sharks line up is going to be hard to beat. For those who don't know, it'll be raining in Melbourne tomorrow so i'll be sitting under cover at AAMI park! the weather may be a leveler for the Rebels who I am hoping to scrape a win.

Interesting moving Steyn to 10, Inman will have to cover him in defence as Hegarty is about half Steyn's size.

That Sharks line up is going to be hard to beat. For those who don't know, it'll be raining in Melbourne tomorrow so i'll be sitting under cover at AAMI park! the weather may be a leveler for the Rebels who I am hoping to scrape a win.

Interesting moving Steyn to 10, Inman will have to cover him in defence as Hegarty is about half Steyn's size.

If it's wet, he probably won't have to worry about Steyn running at him ... it will probably be the forwards :) ... enjoy the game AI :)

Really keen to see how the Sharks perform on the road, I suppose you could call the Rebels one of the easier teams you could travel to.

That has to be a penalty try.... or at least a yellow. Seriously ref grow some balls!

Wow! even the assistant ref was trying to tell him penalty try

Mvovo does not seem to have a great kicking game for a fullback......

Penalty try in Saracens game last week, pathetic again from the officials

Mvovo does not seem to have a great kicking game for a fullback......

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh..... a great kick there (before Woodward ran through half the Sharks side..).

EDIT: No.... I think I was correct to start with :)

I couldn't agree more. How could that not be a certain try???

It was a certain try. Unless you were an Aussie ref :unsure:

Last edited:
Hahahahaha ... comment of the night Nathan Sharpe ... "The Rebels scrum is going well tonight" ... I couldn't stop laughing :)

Hahahahaha ... comment of the night Nathan Sharpe ... "The Rebels scrum is going well tonight" ... I couldn't stop laughing :)

They are all still alive I suppose....

The ref penalized the wrong player there. The Sharks player clearly jumped into the tackle!

Well, I don't agree that that tackle was just a penalty offense

Scott Higginbotham can't tackle to save himself today. He's missed 3 easy tackles already by my count (and made none....).

Mvovu a great find at 15. Can see him play for the Boks there and Willie le Roux back at wing.
The way that Frans Steyn kick the ball, they will have to change it half time like in cricket ;)

Mvovu a great find at 15. Can see him play for the Boks there and Willie le Roux back at wing.
The way that Frans Steyn kick the ball, they will have to change it half time like in cricket ;)

He looks good in space, but (based solely on this match) I don't think he has the kicking game required for a fullback at international level. Of the 6 kicks he has made he has put one out on the full and put a 2-3 off the side of the boot. Obviously basing my assessment on his kicking game based solely on one match is probably not fair!

Latest posts