• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Sharks vs. Bulls (Round 1)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Durban

Sharks.png
Versus%20Super.png
Bulls.png

19:10 CAT

I don't want to underestimate the Bulls but I think the Sharks are just a more settled squad, at home and hungry enough so I am billing the Sharks to take this derby. Can't wait to see the line-ups and see if some of the fringe/up and coming guys from both teams are gonna get a crack at it.

I don't want to underestimate the Bulls but I think the Sharks are just a more settled squad, at home and hungry enough so I am billing the Sharks to take this derby. Can't wait to see the line-ups and see if some of the fringe/up and coming guys from both teams are gonna get a crack at it.

I don't know about the more settled squad...

There's a lot of fresh faces at the Sharks, and they have new coaches, a new captain, and new vice-captains. Whereas at the Bulls, they have the same coaching staff as they had last year, the same Captain, and most of the guys played together last year in the Currie Cup and Super Rugby tournament.

If anything, the Bulls are supposed to be more settled.

But yeah, I think the Sharks are going to come out with a big statement this opening game. And it's also a home game for them. Also the Bulls doesn't have a good record at Durban. So my gut is telling me that the Sharks are going to win this one, even if it's by the narrowest of margins.

Can't wait to see the line-ups and if Handre Pollard will make his Super Rugby Debut...

Fair enough but what I meant by more settled is that in key positions the Sharks have the same personnel (apart from fullback) and I think these players know their game back to front; The Bulls will have a new hooker (Maku), scrummie (Van Zyl ahead of Hougie?), flyhalf (Pollard?) and fullback from last year's SR tourney. CC and SR are two totally different beasts.

Fair enough but what I meant by more settled is that in key positions the Sharks have the same personnel (apart from fullback) and I think these players know their game back to front; The Bulls will have a new hooker (Maku), scrummie (Van Zyl ahead of Hougie?), flyhalf (Pollard?) and fullback from last year's SR tourney. CC and SR are two totally different beasts.

Hooker will be Callie Visagie
Scrummie will be Hougie with Van Zyl as back-up
Flyhalf, Either Fouche, Pollard or JLP
Fullback will again be Jurgen Visser.

New faces might be a good thing for the Bulls.

They need some more X-factor

Think the Sharks have the more stable squad all things considered. The change in their Management and captains will just steer this ship better.
Also think they will beat the Bulls with a decent margin based on their class players and the Bull lack of decent preparation pre event.

Bulls

15 Jurgen Visser, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 J J Engelbrecht, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Louis Fouché, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies (captain), 7 Jacques du Plessis, 6 Jono Ross, 5 Flip vd Merwe, 4 Paul Willemse, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Callie Visagie, 1 Dean Greyling

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Victor Matfield, 19 Jacques Engelbrecht, 20 Piet van Zyl, 21 Handré Pollard, 22 Ulrich Beyers, 23 Marcel vd Merwe

Very interesting. I have big (LOL XD) hopes for Paul Willemse but feel- at least in light of the exodus of experience from the Bulls- that matfield still has something to offer this team. His inclusion as well as the make-up of the back row (adding Vleis on the bench) tells me that the Bulls will be wanting to bully the Sharks pack.. very interesting, particularly with the Sharks having players like Du Plessis, Alberts and PSdT.

Bulls have some handy players on the bench. I was hoping for 80 minutes from Marcel van der Merwe though that's only for fantasy SR purposes.

Only noticeable weaknesses in the defense capabilities in the back 3 and the starting props + Fouche's perceived inability to play attaching rugby
No push over team by any stretch of the imagination and a strong bench

I'm a bit worried about the front row but maybe the Bulls will fair better with the new scrum laws. Jurgen Visser makes me uneasy, I does some really dumb stuff. Hopefully Jesse Kriel heals fast.

Well I don't know about you guys, but I dislike that team a lot!

Why on earth pick Jono Ross AND Jacques Du Plessis at Flank?? 2 SR debutants!!!!

The rest of the pack is okay IMHO. I'm happy to see Paul get the nod, and easing Victor back into the mix.

I had assumed Deon Stegmann is injured? Otherwise why have all of Ross, Spies, Du Plessis and Engelbrecht who are all just bullies (or in the case of Spies just full of bull)? Sure the Sharks also don't have an out-and-out fetcher but at least they have Bismarck who is a beast on the deck.

Hi all, first time poster.

How do you all think the bulls will manage this new backrow throughout the year? Will Ross go 80 mins or will J Du Plessis? Who drops out when Stegman returns? Which one has the most potential to rise to super rugby level?

Great to have the rugby back!

How do you all think the bulls will manage this new backrow throughout the year? Will Ross go 80 mins or will J Du Plessis? Who drops out when Stegman returns? Which one has the most potential to rise to super rugby level?

Hi, bootsydan. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a Bulls supporter but the way I see it from the outside is that you have Arno Botha as the Bulls' (and maybe even SA's) best backrower who is sure to start when fit again, Spies is captain and Stegmann is their only true openside so that is the best backrow combination as I see it. Of Jacques du Plessis, Jono Ross and Jacques Engelbrecht I actually see Engelbrecht as adding the most off of the bench as I see him as being the most abbrasive of the 3. I think though that the Bulls should rather have kept either of CJ Stander or Jean Cook; I see these 2 as having more potential than the other 3 mentioned earlier.

That is the opinion though of an avid WP supporter so make of it what you will.

And, yes, it is awesome to have SR back!!

Well, I think all of them will get an equal shot. Jacques Engelbrecht will mostly be on the bench as he is mainly an 8th man, but has been used at blindside flank. Du Plessis is a bit of a new Danie Rossouw. He can play 8, flank and lock, and I think that is how the bulls will use him. As for Jono Ross, I personally don't like him a lot, but he does the basics very well. I see him as the back-up to Stegman, and he can also play 8th man as he did for TUKS in the Varsity cup.

My biggest worry is how the Bulls will turn over ball. Without Stegman, they don't have a fetcher. So my guess is they will go for a lot of bodies at the ruck, and try to outmuscle their opponents for the ball. It used to work in the past, but I just don't think it would be effective with the new ruck laws.

Which also begs the question, if they are going to struggle to get posession, are they going to maintain the kick and chase game??

I'm worried

Well, I think all of them will get an equal shot. Jacques Engelbrecht will mostly be on the bench as he is mainly an 8th man, but has been used at blindside flank. Du Plessis is a bit of a new Danie Rossouw. He can play 8, flank and lock, and I think that is how the bulls will use him. As for Jono Ross, I personally don't like him a lot, but he does the basics very well. I see him as the back-up to Stegman, and he can also play 8th man as he did for TUKS in the Varsity cup.

My biggest worry is how the Bulls will turn over ball. Without Stegman, they don't have a fetcher. So my guess is they will go for a lot of bodies at the ruck, and try to outmuscle their opponents for the ball. It used to work in the past, but I just don't think it would be effective with the new ruck laws.

Which also begs the question, if they are going to struggle to get posession, are they going to maintain the kick and chase game??

I'm worried

I hope they like to tackle then haha. Knowing the Bulls, they will definitely persist with the kick and chase game.

If Jacques du Plessis can be anything like Danie Rossouw then he definitely sounds like one to watch.

I hope they like to tackle then haha. Knowing the Bulls, they will definitely persist with the kick and chase game.

If Jacques du Plessis can be anything like Danie Rossouw then he definitely sounds like one to watch.

Well he is over 2m tall and only 19 years old...

Hi, bootsydan. Welcome to the forum

My view:
Vleis is a great impact player but will also rotate with Spies and/or at 7
Du Plessis needs to up his work rate but he is one mean piece of meat, still feels he is the ideal 4 lock
Ross has not impressed me at all, especially not as a 6, more a natural 8th man I feel

What happened to Shaun Adendorff?

Hi, bootsydan. Welcome to the forum

My view:
Vleis is a great impact player but will also rotate with Spies and/or at 7
Du Plessis needs to up his work rate but he is one mean piece of meat, still feels he is the ideal 4 lock
Ross has not impressed me at all, especially not as a 6, more a natural 8th man I feel

What happened to Shaun Adendorff?

Agree with this 100%

Shaun is in the Vodacom Cup squad, and is on the extended Springbok Sevens squad (basically a back-up in case someone like Frankie Horne gets injured).

Latest posts