• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] South Africa v Argentina in Pretoria (16/08/2014)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140807055034937933.png

140807055026546244.png

1 Tendai Mtawarira
2 Bismarck du Plessis
3 Jannie du Plessis
4 Bakkies Botha
5 Lood de Jager
6 Marcell Coetzee
7 Francois Louw
8 Duane Vermeulen
9 Ruan Pienaar
10 Handre Pollard
11 Bryan Habana
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Damian de Allende
14 Cornall Hendricks
15 Willie le Roux

Reserves:

16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Eben Etzebeth, 20 Teboho Mohojé, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Morné Steyn
23 Jan Serfontein
140807055034109149.png

140807055030412856.png

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustín Creevy (c)
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Mariano Galarza
5 Tomás Lavanini
6 Pablo Matera
7 Juan Fernández Lobbe
8 Juan Manuel Leguizamón
9 Martín Landajo
10 Nicolás Sánchez
11 Manuel Montero
12 Juan Martin Hernandez
13 Marcelo Bosch
14 Horacio Agulla
15 Joaquín Tuculet

Reserves:

16 Matías Cortese, 17 Lucas Noguera Paz, 18 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, 19 Matías Alemanno, 20 Leonardo Senatore, 21 Tomás Cubelli, 22 Santiago González Iglesias, 23 Lucas González Amorosino

Stadium: Loftus Versfeld
Capacity: 51,762
City: Pretoria
Referee: John Lacey

140807055037391673.jpg

Last edited:
everybody's thinking the same thing. Argentinian massacre. Hopefully not.

everybody's thinking the same thing. Argentinian massacre. Hopefully not.

No disrespect to Argentina but I was thinking the same thing;

It is Loftus and we generally like to get out of the blocks fast. 2nd test not so much but that 1st one usually is a sprint the first 30 minutes.

No disrespect to Argentina but I was thinking the same thing;

It is Loftus and we generally like to get out of the blocks fast. 2nd test not so much but that 1st one usually is a sprint the first 30 minutes.

Yup. And it's the Highveld too. And from what we've seen so far this year from the Boks, they are going to RUN!

I won't be surprised if we get close to the same score we got against them last year...

Yup. And it's the Highveld too. And from what we've seen so far this year from the Boks, they are going to RUN!

I won't be surprised if we get close to the same score we got against them last year...

What was it 73-13! or something like that. I am looking at 20+ but have to say I wouldn't mind a 60 point margin again.

What was it 73-13! or something like that. I am looking at 20+ but have to say I wouldn't mind a 60 point margin again.

I really think it might be. I havent seen the Pumas of late and it makes you wonder why Im predicting such a big score against the Pumas, I mean no disrespect to the unpredictable Pumas but I just gotta feeling. I can almost see the 'Boks gettin the 60 point margin.

LOL, so we have set ourselves up perfectly for a close one with the help of our Samoan and French friends!

LOL, so we have set ourselves up perfectly for a close one with the help of our Samoan and French friends!

Im pretty accurate with my pickings stormy. The 'Boks are pretty hard to gamble on but I think it'll be 67-7.

I think the Argentinian TRFers will now look at my posts with disgust AND! will P.M this post to me if they win along with a message like 'clearly you know nothing about Rugby etc..'

I do think SA will win but only by 10-15. We all underestimated Los Pumas when they entered the competition and they proved us wrong. The Springboks have the best pack in the world, but Argentina are a powerful unit. I can't wait until the first scrum, it'll be tasty.

No high hopes, I'd even say we are worst than last year.

Boks by +50

Argentina looked horrible last year, their EOYT was just poor. I would like to see a close game, but i would guess Boks to be 25+ at half time.

Notably, the Boks are better than last year, regardless of the Pumas' form. Add to that we haven't seen the Pumas recently, last time we saw them at full strength they were barely edging a horrendous Italian side, albeit in Rome. The Pumas B did play a nice series though against Ireland this year, ten times better than what we saw last year as they hosted England. That side was just awful.
I don't think the Boks are reaching 75 again, but I do think it'll be closer to that, than the 2012 result. I think maybe something like 47-14, just a top of the head guess. With the Pumas scoring their one try.
The Pumas are slow starters in this tournament and always have a hard time in S.A., and then come crazy close at home vs them.

Boks by +15, I don't think the disaster last year will be repeated, or at least I hope. I wait a resounding victory for the homeowners but equally, I think SA is the less strong team between the Tri Nations team this year, Aussies and Kiwis are a step above than Saffers IMO. I'm very afraid to face the mighty Woooollabies with Henry Speight.

Im pretty accurate with my pickings stormy. The 'Boks are pretty hard to gamble on but I think it'll be 67-7.

I think the Argentinian TRFers will now look at my posts with disgust AND! will P.M this post to me if they win along with a message like 'clearly you know nothing about Rugby etc..'

No one will say anything, but I think it won't repeat that catastrophe, last year many negative things came together in the first game. But without doubt Boks will win without breaking a sweat.

Conrad, I think you're wrong about the Wallabies. You've taken way too much out of either (or both of) 1-their flattering results against France 2-the Waratahs winning the SR and general health of Aus teams.
The Boks are too big and powerful, and remember it was the Crusaders who put 40 past the Sharks, not the Waratahs. The Wallabies may be in a good position right now, but they're not better, or even less a level above the Springboks. When these two meet, the Wallabies will have answers with the quick ball they get out of their forwards in the rucks, and their backline shining brightest in a long time, so obviously the thrashings from last year cannot occur again. The Boks and All-Blacks took advantage of a dysfunctional side. Wallabies were in their worst year, by far, possibly ever. Won't be the case again this year.

But the Boks have added a little bit of an attacking dimension themselves, so they're not all up front as traditionally. I think Willie Le Roux still is overrated, and a good level below Ben Smith or Folau, but he along with those super fast wingers (Hendricks, Habana...) injects quickness into the back line, and they may not have been "Oceanian" (NZ, Aus, Pac Isl) in their style, but they've shown some fluid ball movement and space creating ability. Bottom line, they can score tries, and are overall a very well oiled machine.
Will be interested in seeing how South Africa does in the scrum this tournament, although for this game Argentina are without (the best in the world ??) tighthead Juan Figallo, so ARG may show signs of weakness there unfortunately..

Conrad, I think you're wrong about the Wallabies. You've taken way too much out of either (or both of) 1-their flattering results against France 2-the Waratahs winning the SR and general health of Aus teams.
The Boks are too big and powerful, and remember it was the Crusaders who put 40 past the Sharks, not the Waratahs. The Wallabies may be in a good position right now, but they're not better, or even less a level above the Springboks. When these two meet, the Wallabies will have answers with the quick ball they get out of their forwards in the rucks, and their backline shining brightest in a long time, so obviously the thrashings from last year cannot occur again. The Boks and All-Blacks took advantage of a dysfunctional side. Wallabies were in their worst year, by far, possibly ever. Won't be the case again this year.

But the Boks have added a little bit of an attacking dimension themselves, so they're not all up front as traditionally. I think Willie Le Roux still is overrated, and a good level below Ben Smith or Folau, but he along with those super fast wingers (Hendricks, Habana...) injects quickness into the back line, and they may not have been "Oceanian" (NZ, Aus, Pac Isl) in their style, but they've shown some fluid ball movement and space creating ability. Bottom line, they can score tries, and are overall a very well oiled machine.
Will be interested in seeing how South Africa does in the scrum this tournament, although for this game Argentina are without (the best in the world ??) tighthead Juan Figallo, so ARG may show signs of weakness there unfortunately..

My analysis is not only about what you say, this year the Aussie's pack is much stronger with men like Wycliff Palu, Sam Carter and Will Skelton. A front row that has improved a lot since the arrival of Link, Wallabies forwards will be stronger than in previous years. Plus you have to remember the positive record that had Aussies against Saffers with Robbie Deans, that team has always lost against ABs but still managed to beat the Boks on several games. I think the Link's Wallabies are better than the Deans' Wallabies so for me Aussies are the favorites against Boks.

Also remember that in the second test June, Wales was upper to Boks but lost by a silly mistake in the last movement. Another significant detail, SA has lost to Fourie du Preez, their best scrum-half. None of their replacements is on the same level, it will make the Boks' game more predictable.

Last edited:
I've accounted for the Wallabies being much better up front in my previous post and previous times before that. Their recently added girth is only good news as they were very thin as of 2013.
And the Boks were alright in that second test, it's Wales that was awesome. But it does indeed put a bit of a brake on the Boks' recent ascension. They were looking bigger and bigger with each game, and there we see them desperately winning a game at home at the very last second being dominated the entire way. And by Wales, a disappointing side as of 2014.

Hernandez set to start at 12, which is interesting. Akin to Contempomi's move back to 12 towards the end of his career (Though Hernandez was never regularly a 12, even if he always has looked adept in his cameos there). I'd imagine this is a move with the World Cup in mind, the idea being to build a backline around him, as it allows them to mix and match their 10s and establish one of Ammorisino, Tucelet or Cordero at the back and still keep Herandez in the team, something you sense they'll be desperate to do, given the form he's capable of.

I don't want to be negative even if the lose is just in front of us.
Nevertheless I want to believe that this is the best moment to buildup a new team for the RWC, there still over 12 top games before the big show. So let's hope to see the pumas at quarterfinals next year.
By the way, I wouldn't like to throw the pumas out from the competition. Step by step and in few years we can talk about a positive season with some good wins.

well I like that Argentina still has the Rugby culture running quite strong. Last summer was very positive for Argentina, having Six Nation winners Ireland visiting and they didn't bring a bad team, the Pumas B really stood up to them, showed aggressiveness and physicality in the rucks, put good sequences together, scored tries in that 2-test series (4 to IRE's 5), really didn't just roll over. So I'm saying even without their Top 14/Prem/major league players, they've got a nucleus of talent and know-how that can hold its own.

This one was awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts