• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Currie Cup] Round 1

The big issue in South Africa is the fact that all Super Rugby players are contracted to the main provincial team. The Sharks franchise is made up of just 1 provincial team. This is the reason why the ITM Cup is that much more interesting. Their talented players are spread out over several unions rather than just Canterbury, Auckland, Otago, Waikato and Wellington.

Eventually, this cluster of players will lead to the downfall of SA rugby because the lesser players don't get a chance to develop by playing alongside the more talented ones.

Well, the big surprize (or was it really) on the opening weekend was the humbling defeat the Sharks suffered against the Pumas. It was great to see guys like Faf De Klerk and Marnus Schoeman dominate in their positions and take control of the game.

And what about the Blue Bulls?? I was worried the first 10 minutes, when the Cheetahs were running at them from all over the park, and scoring that first try with sustained pressure. But then the Blue Bulls struck back, and it was downhill from there. Francois Hougaard was deserved man of the match, and it was great to see him back at 9 and playing brilliant rugby.

I don't see the Pumas win as a surprise (the SA Pumas not the Argie ones LOL). Its criminal Marnus Schoeman didn't played SR last year. This performance just underlines it.

For me the big surprise is how easily the Bulls dealt with the Cheetahs. I know the Bulls are a more talented side as individuals but I expected the Cheetahs' better continuity would see them being more competitive especially at home. Well done. I thought it'd take more time for the Bulls to come together and that it might happen too late for them like last year. Its gonna be an interesting CC though.

Latest posts