• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Final: New Zealand vs. Australia (31/10/2015)

yep calls went both ways.

there was a huge call at ~48min when McCaw won a clean turnover. Pocock went completely off his feet and grabbed the ball then stood up on the opposite side of the ruck to Owens who shouted "release yellow" which pocock ignored then a whole bunch of AB's drove in over the ball and it was about to come free when Owens blew and awarded a scrum to Australia. There was absolutely no way that was Aussie Ball, should have been a penalty against Pocock or at least a scrum to NZ. It was huge in the context of the game Aussie kicked the corner where Ben Smith was carded and they scored a try.

The card itself was just a massive mixup

Owens reviewed it and was happy it was just a penalty
the TMO basically agreed but thought Owens asked him for more replays, they seemed like they had no clue what the other was saying.
Owens seemed to interpret that by showing more replays the TMO was recommending more than a penalty, when the TMO was only showing them again because he thought Owens asked for them...

it was just bizarre, probably caused by how loud it was at the ground.

The tackle itself ben smith lifted the leg only and the other player involved in the tackle that contributed to it being considered a tip tackle was an Aussie. A penalty and warning would have been enough.

this series of mixups was probably worth 14 points for Australia, while some calls went NZ's way as well it didn't have anywhere near the same impact. Australia weren't really in the game at all other than when Ben Smith was in the bin.

overall it was pretty average reffing, but it didn't rob the aussies of victory.

- - - Updated - - -

2011 was not really satisfying, it was more relief. 24 years is a long drought.
2015 hands down more enjoyable, beat better teams and we did it away from home as well

yeah same for me,
2011 was just about ending the drought.
this one is really something to savor
I honestly wouldn't have really minded if we didn't win this one for me personally. I just thought it would be good if all the long time AB's got to go out with another WC to their name. And if anyone deserves a WC its Dan Carter who is now on a level with our other WC winning first fives Grant Fox and Stephen Donald :)

Yep, I saw he was a yard off side. However there'd been that big forward pass favouring the All Blacks in the first half and that Keepu had been watching too many Richard Loe replays. You can't sit through a game worrying about ref calls. Just sit back and enjoy the rugby. In the end the calls usually even out.

It was a great rugby spectacle. Tough for the first 35 minutes as they tried to soften each other and then it busted open with five nicely taken tries. Close until the final 5 minutes and a big spectacular try to round it off. What more could you want?

I was simply pointing it out because the anti-AB crew keep incessantly bellowing about "the forward pass". I know there is always a measure of give and take re the ref's rulings.

Yeah 2011 was a relief after 24 years of not winning
2015 was all about winning away from home.

2015 is my favourite one though, won away from home and back to back.

The AB's were too good in the end.

It was 21-17 at one stage and then they put 2 more tries on.

If the WB's were going to win it, they needed a much better first half - which was never going to happen.

The best team won it.

On the Ben Smith yellow when I was watching the game I just knew as soon as Barnes was involved it was a yellow. Even if it was the TMO that was getting all finicky in Owens ear.

I hate these yellow cards. Its just the same as the one in the Argentina game just absolute nothing bullcrap is all those yellows are.

The scoreline would of likely been something like 32-10 (or even more to NZ) if it wasnt for the Ben Smith yellow. Australia to their credit took full advantage with that chip over.

I felt NZ were really about to blow them to pieces before that Ben Smith yellow and the calls leading upto it that allowed Australia field position in the first place!! Very similar to Sydney that. The pressure was beginning to tell and Australia were not coping well. They got let off the hook big time when they managed to get down into that corner and get Ben Smith yellowed.

Anyway thats my thoughts on the yellow but hey iv been saying it all year. Nothing yellows are nothing.

Last edited:
So, does Woodcock get a medal as well? I am sure Moody got one. I assume the IRB will give medals to everyone who played, even if they had to be replaced on the squad with another player.

So, does Woodcock get a medal as well? I am sure Moody got one. I assume the IRB will give medals to everyone who played, even if they had to be replaced on the squad with another player.

Pretty sure I saw Woodcock on the winners podium with a medal.

On the Ben Smith yellow when I was watching the game I just knew as soon as Barnes was involved it was a yellow. Even if it was the TMO that was getting all finicky in Owens ear.

I hate these yellow cards. Its just the same as the one in the Argentina game just absolute nothing bullcrap is all those yellows are.

The scoreline would of likely been something like 32-10 (or even more to NZ) if it wasnt for the Ben Smith yellow. Australia to their credit took full advantage with that chip over.

I felt NZ were really about to blow them to pieces before that Ben Smith yellow and the calls leading upto it that allowed Australia field position in the first place!! Very similar to Sydney that. The pressure was beginning to tell and Australia were not coping well. They got let off the hook big time when they managed to get down into that corner and get Ben Smith yellowed.

Anyway thats my thoughts on the yellow but hey iv been saying it all year. Nothing yellows are nothing.

Mate it was a yellow card and fair enough. Player safety is all that it is about. Barns was not good on the night and missed plenty from both sides.
There is no point complaining about the Owens, as he got many calls wrong both ways as well.
The better team won on the night. Great game for the AB's and Carter was brilliant as was Nonu.Very happy with the Wallabies performance and sticking it out to the end,they will improve further with Cheika at the helm.
Looking forward to the super rugby starting now next year as well as the rest of the Top 14 series.

- - - Updated - - -

All players that were in the team over the tournament get a medal.

Oh OK, I missed that. Living in the US, we have to skulk around the Knockturn Alleys of the Interwebz, looking for bootleg match videos. :D I just got one with the medal ceremony, so I'll have to look at it carefully. Thanks!

So question for Kiwis: which RWC win is the more satisfying? 2011 or 2015? I think I know what the majority on here will say.

I think 2015 was for two reasons:
1) The semi-final against the French laid to rest a lot of past ghosts.
2) Winning it away from home comfortably put to rest a couple of issues namely that we could not win away from home and the choking tag.

2011 for me. Such a nail biter!
2015 was all nerves during the Haka (for me) and for the first 10 minutes but after that it was pretty well in hand.

Seems so:
From the NZ Herald...

In total, 33 All Blacks received winning medals.
That includes original squad members Tony Woodcock and Wyatt Crockett, who were injured and during the tournament and their prop replacements, Joe Moody and Pauliasi Manu.
It is an unexpected reward for uncapped Chiefs loosehead Manu, who officially joined the squad days out from the final when Crockett was ruled out.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11538917

Last edited:

hey, even pauliasi manu got a medal.... he didn't even play, he was called into the squad at the last minute when Crockett was ruled out of the final for cover if one of the other props were injured at the last minute before the final.

It was great to see that SBW got another one to replace the one he gave away as well.

Great game. Great team. Congrats. Its good that Carter got his final. Now I just hope he carries on where he has left off with Racing 92 (and mentors Goosen well over there).

It was great to see that SBW got another one to replace the one he gave away as well.

Yep, had a sneaky feeling World Rugby would sort him out with another medal. Makes a good story so it's just too good of a PR opportunity to pass up.

Congratulations All Blacks. Deserved winners!

But I think it's only fair that South Africa and Australia should play for the silver medal...

This final was a bit underwhelming due to it being a bit one-sided.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations All Blacks. Deserved winners!

But I think it's only fair that South Africa and Australia should play for the silver medal...

This final was a bit underwhelming due to it being a bit one-sided.

In terms of which one of 2011 and 2015 was more satisfying.

2011 for me. 24 years was a long, long wait and being constantly reminded how bad our WC record was compared to how dominant we were outside world cup games sucked. Coming in from the disappointment of 2007 and 2011 being a home world cup just added to the pressure and the relief when we won it.

It was also a bloody great night after that win as well.

2011- Was a nail biter of a final. An odd performance from NZ in the final. They admitted that mentally they couldn't reach the same heights of the SF against Australia where they played superbly. 2011 final they couldn't play the rugby they wanted especially with their 1st5s getting injured they had to simplify their game with each new 1st5.

However,
2015 - Way more satisfying in terms of performances and the teams we faced to win the cup. We faced all the teams that have beaten us in RWC history (France, SA and Aust), also beating Argentina in pool play meant we beat all the top teams. Putting to bed the following theories:
1) Winning away from home
2) France the nemesis (beaten them in 2 straight knockout games)
3) Beaten South Africa to win the world cup
4) Choker tag - they were moments in the SF (trailing at half time and towards the end only leading by 2 points) and Final (18 point lead cut to 4 points) we could have choked. But we stepped up and took control of the game big time. Very satisfying.

Don't agree that the Wallabies were about to be blown to pieces considering they were hot on attack with a penalty advantage before Smith got carded.

Latest posts