• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Final: New Zealand vs. Australia (31/10/2015)

Why would the ARU fire Cheika? Seems like he did a good job turning the ship around. Things were pretty disastrous towards the end of the McKenzie era. I'm far away from Oz, but from my vantage point, it seems like he's got the team believing in themselves again.

Yeah. Absolutely.
Considering the shambles he inherited 1 year ago and to get that side to the RWC final with a record something like 15 / 11 / 4 (if someone can check me on that) I would say the power has shifted in his favour to possibly his extend his contract out to 2019.

I for one would back him over Lancaster and a few others.

Not forgetting mate, he's a quality player no doubt, but I just feel he lacks a little to completely take over the mantle just at this moment, but I get the feeling by his personality, that he might not arrive there. Nothing personal mate, just a feeling, I could be wrong, I have been a lot before ;)

Fair call and time will tell, pretty sure we can both say he won't be McCaw but then will we see another? I hope so and I hope he wears a black jersey

What about Todd? When England were down here a couple years back Todd was the only thing that saved Canterbury from complete and utter embarrassment.

I cant remember Cane ever being as dominant as Todd has been in some games.

Cane has been boss at international level on a few occasions.

todd is a journeyman super player mate he isn't AB material. Not dynamic enough in anything he does. Like a loose forward Colin Slade. He's too old now anyway Cane is better and is much younger. Ardie Savea will be the one challenging Cane not Todd.

Todd reminds me of Messam a bit, great super player but struggling to crack the top tier, Messam took his chances when given and Todd may do the same, but when the 1st sting players are available he struggles to make the team.

hahaha how wrong you were

AB's were very dominant this game for 70 mins, Wallabies did well when NZ were a man down but they won this pretty easy really. World Champions again! woohoo

Without Ben Smith the Wallabies made a maul try. A fullback can't save that.

After the TK's try the ABs played very nervous under too much pressure and the Aussies gained a lot of meters easily. With a narrow advantage at the first half, the pressure would be HUGE for the men in black. Some mistake by Nigel allowed them more advantage in the end of the first half. So they started the second half very relaxed.

Meanwhile Lancaster has brought in the security guard on a central contract to play 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
All Blacks too good.

I'm proud of the Wallabies for getting there.

Bring on 2016 and more Rugby.

It's either;

PR marketing stunt

PR marketing stunt

or

PR marketing stunt

Either way, ABs have their marketing stunts down pat.

If it was a PR stunt, it was executed perfectly. ABs clinical as always!

I've never been a fan of SBW but he's won me over with his on-field performances this year. He seems to be a decent dude off-field as well. I just don't know why he hangs around with the slime that is Anthony Mundine.

I think Cane is a very good player. Not fair to compare him to the G.O.A.T. McCaw, but people like Read can take over the leadership role and let Cane just focus on his game and grow into being a leader over time.

What an amazing final! Very entertaining. With 3 losses in 4 years and their recent play/class there's no way these guys didn't deserve the cup.

Awesome ABs - untouchable.

Second half really interesting. That scrum destruction at 50 mins was terrifying, and yet it marked the comeback for Aus. At that point I thought the ABs would show their true greatness by scoring tries every way possible - first phase off scrum, rolling maul, crossfield kick etc, but the next try was ... Aus rolling maul.

I guess the ABs lost their concentration. But at 65 mins Carter's face came up on screen - raging against his team mates. So he slots a penalty & DG - game over. Great leadership from a great player.

If Cane was any good he would of got Mccaws spot he hasnt and I reckon another 7 will turn up in the next couple of years. Cain might get the first look in but im almost certain he's not going to hold that position for more than a couple of years.

Hopefully someone like Ardie matures a bit soon. Personally I still think Matt Todd is the best 7 in NZ right now.

Hmmm didn't you also say Carter shouldn't be picked for the RWC, as he was past it and should instead choose Sopoanga, and Carter could not do drop goals because he was crap at them;)
Savea is crap and Naholo should be picked on the left wing just before the France game;
Read should be dropped and Kaino replace him at 8.

Thank god you're not a selector for the ABs.

I think Cane is a very good player. Not fair to compare him to the G.O.A.T. McCaw, but people like Read can take over the leadership role and let Cane just focus on his game and grow into being a leader over time.

I'd drop Read totally and make him go back and focus on Super Rugby to regain form. The new All Blacks captain should be Brodie Retallick or Sam Whitelock.

The NZ starting XV for the coming years?

1 Moody
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Whitelock
5 Retallick
6 Luatua/Messam
7 Cane/Ardie Savea
8 Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Cruden
11 Julian Savea
12 Crotty/Ngatai
13 Fekitoa
14 NMS/Naholo
15 Ben Smith

1 Moody
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Whitelock
5 Retallick
6 Luatua/Messam
7 Cane/Ardie Savea
8 Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Cruden
11 Julian Savea
12 Crotty/Ngatai
13 Fekitoa
14 NMS/Naholo
15 Ben Smith

Barrett for Cruden.

1 Moody
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Whitelock
5 Retallick
6 Luatua/Messam
7 Cane/Ardie Savea
8 Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Cruden
11 Julian Savea
12 Crotty/Ngatai
13 Fekitoa
14 NMS/Naholo
15 Ben Smith

Moala will be making that number 12 position his own in the coming years!

Unless Read gets back to his form of old and keeps it up, we might see 6. Luatua 7. Ardie Savea 8. Akira ioane in a couple of years too.

I'd drop Read totally and make him go back and focus on Super Rugby to regain form. The new All Blacks captain should be Brodie Retallick or Sam Whitelock.

It's like kicking crap up hill, but you need to look past the superficial stuff and watch what he does around the park. Hands down the best #8 in NZ! Also worth a mention that he has become killer in the lineouts now too!!

Latest posts