• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Australia vs. Wales (10/10/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Australia.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Wales.png

Twickenham, London (10/10/2015, 16:45)
Pool A, Round 4

Referee: Craig Joubert
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png

With the injuries Wales sadly have and the blistering form the Australians are in, I really can't see the Welsh getting a result here. In saying that, Cheika might not play his outright best team and there could be some changes.

If he keeps the same 15 he had for England, I'm putting the Aussies at a bonus point win, 34 - 18.

Biggar needs to pull out another MotM performance to try keep Wales in the game, expect George North to step up as well.

If Australia make a number of changes, especially if he chooses to play Cooper, which I doubt, but you never know with Cheika, I think it will be a lot closer and Wales will have a good chance. But I just don't see a decent reason for him not to field his strongest 15, unless maybe just one or two positions he might rest or try to avoid injury in, Simmons, Folau or Pocock, but doubt it.

I'll be watching Foley closely, I want to see if he can bring consistency to his game. Or if England simply just made him look good (which I get the feeling they did to an extent).

Following on from Kiwi's comments that's exactly what Australia must not do. Wales should be there for the taking but changing any part of the masterplan against them is incredibly risky and suicidal. Look where it got us....

I think Australia will be watching the SA vs. USA game before making a call on selection.

They will have to start thinking of the Knockout phase by now, since both teams have already qualified. And depending on who they feel would be better opposition in the QF's.

Both these teams can afford to lose this game...

id love for us to win this game, but if cheika picks a weakend side and we win it will feel like a hollow victory. I cannot see us winning either way to be honest, they will just be too strong for us. i know most people were not expecting us to beat england but there was way more of a chance of that happening than us overcoming Aus. if we are on top form then it might come close but i just hope we dont have a hammering

Just keep Pocock, Hooper and Fardy together and they'll win, McMahon for the Bench also.. Pocock is probably the best out and out 7 in the world at this moment, so he might want to wrap Pocock in cotton wool for the quarters..

Still amazes me Hooper is only 23 and Pocock 27, Australia are going to be strong for while now.

I can't see either team pulling any punches in all honesty. The it's not just the Springboks you avoid until the finals, it's the All Blacks:

The Winner of this game gets: Scotland(QF), Argentina/Ireland/France(SF), NZ/SA/Aus(Final)
The loser of this game gets: South Africa (QF), NZ/Ireland/France(SF), Ireland/France/Argentina(Final)

I've bolded the most likely option in my opinion.
I feel like having the easier run is worth fighting for, especially since they will get a proper weeks break before the next game.

I cant wait to see Wales get demolished. Australia are going to at least put 4 tries on them

If we have our full strength team it should be a demolition(with respect to Wales and injuries).
But all Aussie teams no matter the sport get the stutters when we are expected to win.
So am worried.

I cant wait to see Wales get demolished. Australia are going to at least put 4 tries on them

Well I think you will get humbled by France on Sunday, France look strong, you could well be right about Oz unless we match them at the breakdown which means playing both our 7's we could be in for a torid evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Why the hostility towards Wales.

Why the hostility towards Wales.

I dont have any hostility towards Wales. I actually support Wales a lot of the time, which cant really be said about Welsh supporters and Ireland judging from this forum... I just love the drama of a good ol thrashing in a World Cup (tier 2 nations excluded), that and Oz have always been one of my favourite sides, though I have no idea why. I just think it would add to the spectacle if Australia, especially Pooper and Foley, absolutely cut loose yet again and go on a rampage. Unfortunate that it might be on a bruised Welsh side but cest la vie

Hooper will most likely be banned for the wales game as he has been cited.

We will just replace him with Sean McMahon. Had a great game against Uruguay.
Yes Wales will be different beast but he is good enough.

I dont have any hostility towards Wales. I actually support Wales a lot of the time, which cant really be said about Welsh supporters and Ireland judging from this forum... I just love the drama of a good ol thrashing in a World Cup (tier 2 nations excluded), that and Oz have always been one of my favourite sides, though I have no idea why. I just think it would add to the spectacle if Australia, especially Pooper and Foley, absolutely cut loose yet again and go on a rampage. Unfortunate that it might be on a bruised Welsh side but cest la vie

Point taken, I'm in an awkward position come next Sunday being a Francophile and having an Irish daughter in law.
Just to show I'm not anti Irish my favourite away trips have always been Thomond Park, fantastic atmosphere.

i know plenty of wales fans who support Ireland 2nd, myself included. though this was a general thing

Hooper will most likely be banned for the wales game as he has been cited.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34443308

A little bit galling from an English perspective (even if he's just warned) 10-47 minutes without Hooper and down a man could of really made a difference. Better team won on the day no doubt but when your teams gone out you want the ref to have made the right decisions. Now Wales may get an 'advantage' England should of had.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34443308

A little bit galling from an English perspective (even if he's just warned) 10-47 minutes without Hooper and down a man could of really made a difference. Better team won on the day no doubt but when your teams gone out you want the ref to have made the right decisions. Now Wales may get an 'advantage' England should of had.
If thats the case then Burgess shouldve gone for 10 to for the late high shot.

Latest posts