• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Australia vs. Wales (10/10/2015)

That's ******** mate and you know it .... The ABs have got away with a fair few thuggish actions over the years . I'm not going to start listing them but there's nothing in what Pocock did and as far as I'm aware has a good disciplinary record ? If so a warning would suffice

Yeah kneeing a guy in he ribs is nothing yet McCaws a cheat and the All Blacks are thugs, bloody hell the garbage I read on this board sometimes is sickening.

Last edited:
Despite being in the so called 'pool of death', the Wallabies have had a fairly easy run so far. I think they've got a pretty easy run to the finals now, I don't see them beating whoever is on the other side of the field. It's not as though they've had to compete against an inform side yet, and people seem to be forgetting this. Yes, Pool A was ***led the 'pool of death', but this was only due to the lacklustre host nation and (when played) a Welsh team with a massive injury list. Fiji weren't exactly on form either. I'm not trying to downplay the Wallaby performance, but I think it's important people recognise that the 'pool of death' label turned out to be not so accurate.

What a load of rubbish! Yes they now have a reasonable run into the finals but nothing is taken for granted, as was nothing taken for granted in the pool games. Wales were good in most areas apart from setting up attacking play when we were down 2 guys. I am tipping Wales to beat SA.

Despite being in the so called 'pool of death', the Wallabies have had a fairly easy run so far. I think they've got a pretty easy run to the finals now, I don't see them beating whoever is on the other side of the field. It's not as though they've had to compete against an inform side yet, and people seem to be forgetting this. Yes, Pool A was ***led the 'pool of death', but this was only due to the lacklustre host nation and (when played) a Welsh team with a massive injury list. Fiji weren't exactly on form either. I'm not trying to downplay the Wallaby performance, but I think it's important people recognise that the 'pool of death' label turned out to be not so accurate.

What a load of rubbish! They have had the hardest run by far! Fiji are easily the best (Tier 2) team not to make the QFs, despite England being off form beating them at hmoe is no easy feat! and regardless of injuries Wales are a very good team and pushed OZ extremely hard! Who has had a tougher run the the QFs then? The only other pool that was remotely competitive was Pool B, but there is no way any combination of teams from pool B trumps what OZ had to get through! Seriously dude, your not only doing a disservice to OZ, but also to the teams they beat along the way.....

People who can't read kinda annoy me a bit :(

People that post crap annoy me as well, wake up sunshine and have some respect for those teams in pool A that were defeated by Australia, I know the Wallabies respected them as did the coach. Just look at the team selections in the pool games.

People that post crap annoy me as well, wake up sunshine and have some respect for those teams in pool A that were defeated by Australia, I know the Wallabies respected them as did the coach. Just look at the team selections in the pool games.

Haha, you beat me to it. Honestly, that's the biggest load of dribble I've seen so far this RWC!

You mean the English team that was about 200 caps below where they wanted to be? Or the Welsh side with so many injuries they could fill a small hospital? Sorry, reality is that Pool was not fitting of the label 'Pool of death'.

You mean the English team that was about 200 caps below where they wanted to be? Or the Welsh side with so many injuries they could fill a small hospital? Sorry, reality is that Pool was not fitting of the label 'Pool of death'.

Tell that to the English! or even the Fijians for that matter! Dude your digging yourself a hole - best to stop!

What? No I'm not. I'm correct; the term 'Pool of death' proved to be an overstatement. Yes, this was the most difficult pool in the competition (not that that's saying much), but not nearly as dangerous as people expected it to be prior to commencement of the tournament.

Every nation has supporters that are stupid. It just reflects poorly on the rest of us that are reasonably fair and only slightly bias. Best to just disregard these bellends.

What? No I'm not. I'm correct; the term 'Pool of death' proved to be an overstatement. Yes, this was the most difficult pool in the competition (not that that's saying much), but not nearly as dangerous as people expected it to be prior to commencement of the tournament.

No, all that happened was England were a disspaointment. If that is the only point you are making then there are about 100 pages in about 8 different threads saying the exact same thing!!

I agree with KeyboardWorrior to an extent. England spend more time horse riding and sipping French Cognac than playing rugby and the Welsh have been like the walking wounded. Aussie have looked really sharp yes, but there's circumstances behind how convincing it was.

Which was a harder pool then?

It was called the Pool of death because three of the teams were ranked within the top 8, meaning on form all three would have likely been in the QFs.

England with as few caps as they have - on pre tournanent form would have been expected to place ahead of Scotland, Argentina and probably France. They capitulated however.

I think you'd have to gave some serious gaps in your rugby knowledge to not see this was a very, very tough pool..

It was called the Pool of death because three of the teams were ranked within the top 8, meaning on form all three would have likely been in the QFs.

England with as few caps as they have - on pre tournanent form would have been expected to place ahead of Scotland, Argentina and probably France. They capitulated however.

I think you'd have to gave some serious gaps in your rugby knowledge to not see this was a very, very tough pool..

Tough? Yes. As tough as expected? No. England have looked pretty ordinary for a long time, and I think a large part of the reason for the label 'pool of death' was because the host nation was in the pool too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sad thing is we have a few more then other nations (on this forum)

Well, no one's proven me wrong so far on this. Just a bunch of strawman arguments.

Keyboard, it was the toughest pool. But I agree with the injuries Wales had the the obvious issues England have that it was overstated how difficult it was.

Not to mention it also had the 9th ranked team which added to the strength of the pool.

Anyway, good luck with this guy!

For anyopne that can reasonably digest information, this is what wiki has to say about groups (pools) of death:
A group of death in a multi-stage tournament is a group which is unusually competitive, because the number of strong competitors in the group is greater than the number of qualifying places available for the next phase of the tournament. Thus, in the group phase, one or more strong competitors in the "group of death" will necessarily be eliminated, who would otherwise have been expected to progress further in the tournament.

Last edited:
Well England only lost to Wales by one kick, and Australia beat Wales by 9 points in a very gutsy effort. Had Biggar missed his kick we would have been talking about Wales not making it out of the quarters. So in that case it is very much the pool of death - especially how England's chances of progressing were being rated by certain sections.

Pool of death simply refers to the competitiveness and the quality of teams. I guess what you are arguing is that in your perception - most teams weren't living up to their pretournament hype. Which is fine. But unless you want to argue that England aren't in the top 8 teams in the world - then it is still a pool of death.

Well England only lost to Wales by one kick, and Australia beat Wales by 9 points in a very gutsy effort. Had Biggar missed his kick we would have been talking about Wales not making it out of the quarters. So in that case it is very much the pool of death - especially how England's chances of progressing were being rated by certain sections.

Pool of death simply refers to the competitiveness and the quality of teams. I guess what you are arguing is that in your perception - most teams weren't living up to their pretournament hype. Which is fine. But unless you want to argue that England aren't in the top 8 teams in the world - then it is still a pool of death.

Yes, I think that's what he is trying to say too. But like I said, stating Wales had injuries and England havent played very well is kinda old news....

The relaity was that OZ had a pretty tough task to top that pool, and certainly relative to anyone else they easily had the toughest run of games. To try and suggest otherwise is ridiculous.