• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Australia (03/10/2015)

Well the result does mean a long hard look has to be taken at whats going wrong in English rugby at the top level.
However, teams go in cycles and this England team is full of young talent. They will be powerful in 4 years time if they are kept together.
Lancaster has been to a certain extent unlucky that this is early in the cycle of this team.
Keeping Andy Farrell on board has been a definite hindrance though and he needs to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Well the result does mean a long hard look has to be taken at whats going wrong in English rugby at the top level.
However, teams go in cycles and this England team is full of young talent. They will be powerful in 4 years time if they are kept together.
Lancaster has been to a certain extent unlucky that this is early in the cycle of this team.
Keeping Andy Farrell on board has been a definite hindrance though and he needs to go.

I'd accept the unlucky cycle argument if we'd progressed in the last two years. Honest question have England improved since we beat the AB'S?

Somewhat in shock, but I thank the Australian to have mellowed this feeling, because there was no comparison. And when we fall in this way against a far superior opponent while defeat is easily acceptable. Unlike the defeat last Saturday against the Welsh certainly brave, but not at all impressed me in their rugby. A match that we lost almost all alone.

The WC came too early for us, but the choice of Lancaster have questioned the whole game project just months before the start of the WC was a serious strategic error. The paris he took (Burgess, Morgan) were found as major failures. Lack of leadership and experience was sorely felt.

Then technically speaking, our pack became very weak (I have never seen as weak as this, since I was this team ... 99 WC), a very slow third line in the game, in supporting, especially in discipline, another problem too is the pair of center that was really poor. We will have to find a pillar left and right worthy of the name (although Cole back from injury, and if he resumed his lost weight, he can become very strong), openside flanker one, and inside center.

The hope is that one has talent, it is a certainty, and above all an excellent pool of young talent. We will come back stronger for the WC 2019! This experience will mark the head of our players for life, and that is where we will see if they have shoulders to play internationally.

Lancaster, I hope it stays (he has a contract until 2019, I think) but with two conditions: first, the dismissal of Rowntree and Andy Farrell (Mike Catt should remain), and an obligation of result during the 6 Nations with a win in the next two years.

Now I'm still eager to see the "test match" against Uruguay, and there honestly, if Ford (or Farrell) tries if only one penalty, I insult all my strength . This game we should play thoroughly tries, and why not put more that Australian (11 tries).

I supported them when all was well, and I i will also support them when everything goes bad.

COME ON ENGLAND !!!

England have the talent, would say on par with NZ.

But we like the structure that takes them to England level.

It's a bit like Leicester IMO we have always had decent academy players but getting them to senior level was difficult.

This preseason bring in a NZ coach (Mauger) and we have scored 14 tries in 3 preseason games compared to last preseason were we got 7 tries in 3 games. We have had more academy players play as well.

(Side note Jacob Umaga had a great game yesterday for Tigers @10 looked very calm and aware for 17 year old)

Honestly England RFU need a complete change in ideology and execution.
Deluded forum member..

This sort of performance was always, if not possible, then likely. England seem to be psychologically frail and while somewhat competitive in most test matches, when it comes to the highest levels of intensity it manifests itself in incompetence.

Maybe England need to try to have a bit of fun when they're playing.

Wow, what a needlessly aggressive, arrogant comment. Good job on making sweeping generalizations. Its just sport man, why such scorn? I dont get it

Anyways... I too did not take any pleasure from seeing such an inglorious defeat. Though Ive always had a soft spot for Australia, I was the only person in the entire pub actually rooting for England... Have you seen Game of Thrones? Do you remember this scene? (dont click if youre not up to date etc). This is what that what this match felt like.

If Ireland make it to the semis Ireland vs Oz will be such a cracker...

So, its looking like

South Africa v Wales
Scotland v Australia
Ireland v Argentina ???
France v NZ???

That's arrogant , Wales haven't played Australia yet save your bacon for that

That's arrogant , Wales haven't played Australia yet save your bacon for that

Probably the most likely QF pairings to be fair.

Both Wales and Australia will have noted SA's resurgence and will be keen to avoid them in the QFs. This makes for an intriguing final pool match between the two which I expect Australia to win if they play to their capability.

Likely semis would be:

Ireland v Australia
NZ v South Africa

Last edited:
Sure, but I'm not really a fan of premeditated substitutions in every game. Personally I think most of the time subs should be made in the context of the flow of the game, how that starting player is performing. I get the logic behind it. I see it a lot in Super rugby. A player is going marvellously and the coach subs him off - and the team subsequently starts leaking momentum. It's like, why did you do that?

Yeah I know what you mean. I guess the issue here is that you don't get to see the counterfactual. I can only assume that more often than not the substitution is the best call. Otherwise why would every team be doing it (well all teams I watch anyway).

article-1088601-028F0E34000005DC-620_468x286.jpg
C71001F7-0F66-CDAF-3CA7B7B0F83EF7CE.jpg

God save my Grandma...!! and my Team if it's posible too..!!

(just a little joke, don´t take it so seriously)

How do you come to the conclusion that England have the same talent pool as NZ Tigs?

Depends on who's coaching, doesn't it? Maybe we'll discover the next genius and click, maybe we'll implode, maybe Kofi Annan will be head coach and we'll spend all game trying to negotiate treaties for better sea transportation of rice instead of tackling them. Let's wait and see.

Brendon Rodgers...

What a game. I honestly thought it would be close but didn't expect that to be the result. That's the best I've seen the Wallabies play in a long time.

Sorry to the England fans though, you pin your hopes on your nations team and it hurts when things like this happen. Been there before as a Wallabies fan.

I think the Aussies will be hard to beat. Great game, both sides tried hard.

Latest posts