• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Fiji (18/09/2015)

Israel Folau would probably be my first choice for fullback because I think he's the best offensive fullback in the world. But if I didn't have the luxury of accurate tackling machines and turnover merchants in the forwards then I'd be more inclined to go with a Mike Brown or Ben Smith who are more reliable in defense. Brown is probably good for England, so I can see why you wouldn't change that. I can also see what you're saying about age. The players you have are good for you guys.

Yeh this is it . I'm not saying the England players are the best I'm just saying as a unit (taking age into account) I wouldn't swap them

Fair play he does look very good in those clips - didn't watch a whole lot of Quins games, and not sure how much game time he got (was brought in as injury/international cover, I believe), so he could well have gone well for them last season, I just remember his first game.

He has his moments but he's okay, not our best winger right now. He's been mostly quiet when he plays for Fiji. Nadolo can also have a quiet game, he barely touched the ball against Canada. I think the english press are really hyping up Nadolo lol, he's not just a crash and bash guy like Lomu or even Savea. His most dangerous asset is his ability to draw in defenders and offload. He does work very hard though.

Last edited:
hello all.

Fiji will not beat a Full strength England for a number of Reasons.

1: they are not fit enough to sustain their tempo of play against a team like England for 80 minutes.
2: Their defence is soft - big individual tacklers does not a good defence make. As a unit they are too disorganised, Canada broke them down in one or two phases in the second half of their match and their forwards are very slow to fold around (see point 1). They are especially poor around the ruck where Samoa opened them up repeatedly and made a lot of easy yards.
3: Their Set piece will not hold up against England, Wales or Australia.

They'll likely score a couple of great tries, on the counter, but i can't see them beating anyone but Uruguay and possibly Wales.

I reckon they have one big game in them at best, England opening game of a home World Cup won't be it.

laters.

hello all.

1: they are not fit enough to sustain their tempo of play against a team like England for 80 minutes.
2: Their defence is soft - big individual tacklers does not a good defence make. As a unit they are too disorganised, Canada broke them down in one or two phases in the second half of their match and their forwards are very slow to fold around (see point 1). They are especially poor around the ruck where Samoa opened them up repeatedly and made a lot of easy yards.

They'll likely score a couple of great tries, on the counter, but i can't see them beating anyone but Uruguay and possibly Wales.

I reckon they have one big game in them at best, England opening game of a home World Cup won't be it.

laters.

Welcome back!

I agree, gone for Fiji to get a few points but a comfortable 20+ point victory for England.

This is our full review: http://fourballsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/rugby-world-cup-2015-fiji-vs-england.html

Effectively says it is the right test for England and George Ford. A game that needs to be managed well against a side that Fijians deem to be their best of all time. Guys like Nadolo are dangerous and will test to see if England have a defense capable of winning the World Cup.

Last edited:
Sure, and that all good, but you haven't answered the question. England have trained together for extended periods 3 times a year for the past 3-4 years, Fiji very rarely have that amount of time together. Therefore, England's backs should bebetter organised and more cohesive. You've literally said that they are likely to play more as individuals.

Fiji have as I have already said had best part of 3 months together pre WC as opposed to the usual couple of weeks.
Thats my answer and reasoning.

- - - Updated - - -

So you're agreeing with me then. Cracking.

How so.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha I think he's had too many brains SA and bangs on the head tbh . He just says anti-England stuff all the time . It wouldn't surprise me if he's one of the "planks" on the rugby banter page if I'm honest

I wouldn't swap our back line for anyone else's in the world at the moment if I'm honest . If Tuilagi comes in at 12 and works wonders we have threats in every position . All very young too (which is why I wouldn't swap our backline for the ABs back line)

Me or anyone else that voice opinions involving England different to the majority of English fans are accused with being anti English and showered with insults, you are just the sort of English fan that Ali Williams was directing his comments about in L'Equipe, let's have a bit more fairness and less insults.
Furthermore you lot seem to get away with anti Wales comments, you are showing an incredible amount of naivety loosely disguised as patriotism if you think Englands backs are better than New Zealands

Fiji have as I have already said had best part of 3 months together pre WC as opposed to the usual couple of weeks.
Thats my answer and reasoning.

- - - Updated - - -

How so.

- - - Updated - - -

Me or anyone else that voice opinions involving England different to the majority of English fans are accused with being anti English and showered with insults, you are just the sort of English fan that Ali Williams was directing his comments about in L'Equipe, let's have a bit more fairness and less insults.
Furthermore you lot seem to get away with anti Wales comments, you are showing an incredible amount of naivety loosely disguised as patriotism if you think Englands backs are better than New Zealands

10 Nov 2012 England 54 - 12 Fiji Twickenham London, England

20 Oct 1999 England 45 - 24 Fiji Twickenham London, England

20 Jul 1991 Fiji 12 - 28 England National Stadium Suva, Fiji

04 Nov 1989 England 58 - 23 Fiji Twickenham London, England

17 Jun 1988 Fiji 12 - 25 England National Stadium Suva, Fiji

This is a history of England's games against Fiji, it is probably why we aren't nervous about it and don't consider it a realistic possibility we could lose. We often pile the points on in a really entertaining game and it should be a great spectacle. Now I agree that Fiji have been playing well and looked more organised than usual, their Pacific Nations performances are a testament to that. The squad is also one of the best in Fijian history, to add to the things in their favour.

However, to an English fan, there is no doubt we will win this, we are better than them in every single position (barring Nadolo on the wing perhaps) and it should be another brilliant match. The game simply needs to be managed well by Ford and co. and it will be another big win for the English at home.

Ali Williams' comments were ridiculous but I wouldn't be surprised if the L'equipe twisted his words, as it is bloody obvious that they don't like the the English (ala Chris Froome).

Ali Williams' comments were ridiculous but I wouldn't be surprised if the L'equipe twisted his words, as it is bloody obvious that they don't like the the English (ala Chris Froome).

I would agree as he was nothing but complimentary about his stay in UK when recovering from serious injury, Nottingham comes to mind?

hello all.

laters.

http://media.photobucket.com/user/daveross/media/return1.gif.html?filters[term]=body%20rising%20from%20coffin%20gif&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=6

Damn right! Not supporting England any more, #arrogance

Probably sensible. Longer range, the Met Office are usually pretty good at predicting what's coming, but not all that good at predicting when!

I just look out the window. The met office often forget this sneaky trick.:D

I just look out the window. The met office often forget this sneaky trick.:D

This is why I can never understand why phones are so desperate to tell you what the weather is like in your location - I too own a window if I want to know what the weather is like currently.

10 Nov 2012 England 54 - 12 Fiji Twickenham London, England

20 Oct 1999 England 45 - 24 Fiji Twickenham London, England

20 Jul 1991 Fiji 12 - 28 England National Stadium Suva, Fiji

04 Nov 1989 England 58 - 23 Fiji Twickenham London, England

17 Jun 1988 Fiji 12 - 25 England National Stadium Suva, Fiji

This is a history of England's games against Fiji, it is probably why we aren't nervous about it and don't consider it a realistic possibility we could lose. We often pile the points on in a really entertaining game and it should be a great spectacle. Now I agree that Fiji have been playing well and looked more organised than usual, their Pacific Nations performances are a testament to that. The squad is also one of the best in Fijian history, to add to the things in their favour.

However, to an English fan, there is no doubt we will win this, we are better than them in every single position (barring Nadolo on the wing perhaps) and it should be another brilliant match. The game simply needs to be managed well by Ford and co. and it will be another big win for the English at home.

Check your calendar mate this is 2015, I'm not saying they will beat England but i can't see the 30 to 40 points some are suggesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Their scrum 1/2 is better than yours as well.

Check your calendar mate this is 2015, I'm not saying they will beat England but i can't see the 30 to 40 points some are suggesting.

You should be more worried of Uruguay rather getting agitated because of a few fan's predictions.

Yeah I agree with you, I think it might be quite a tough encounter for the Pommies, but they should walk away with the win.

You should be more worried of Uruguay rather getting agitated because of a few fan's predictions.

I'm not agitated, just think it's a bit one sided there are a lot of England fans who are good lads, but more than a few on this site that arrogantly try and wind people up, in all honesty you need to be more worried about Fiji than we do about Uruguay, but then we need to be more worried about Fiji than you do about Uruguay.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I agree with you, I think it might be quite a tough encounter for the Pommies, but they should walk away with the win.

Yes agreed, by the way why is Pollard on the bench for you guys I was hopping to see him play ?

I'm not agitated, just think it's a bit one sided there are a lot of England fans who are good lads, but more than a few on this site that arrogantly try and wind people up, in all honesty you need to be more worried about Fiji than we do about Uruguay, but then we need to be more worried about Fiji than you do about Uruguay. ?

Ah come on!!

Neither Wales or England should worry about either Fiji or Uruguay unless they are bonkers and play their reserves! There just is no contest.........

Ah come on!!

Neither Wales or England should worry about either Fiji or Uruguay unless they are bonkers and play their reserves! There just is no contest.........
The issue for Wales is 5 days after the England match is how many of their non reserves will be fit enough to play. Two guys have already gone down injured...

Ah come on!!

Wales have a tight turn around for Fiji after the England game, 5 days. Not anything drastic or game changing, but they'll have to bear that in mind when it comes to player management.

Fiji have some fantastic players, and sound like they might be fairly organised (brought Allain Rolland in as a consultant to lessen penalties apparently). They're no mugs so definitely not one to discard.

Being on this forum reminds me of how lucky I am to be part of an elite invite only rugby forum for only the greatest rugby supporters in the world.

Granted it is only me typing in Word but still.

Fiji have some fantastic players, and sound like they might be fairly organised (brought Allain Rolland in as a consultant to lessen penalties apparently). They're no mugs so definitely not one to discard.

Fiji can creat a try out of nothing, at anytime. How effictively England's rush defence countains Fiji's backs should be the key to the game.

Latest posts