• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: England vs. Wales (26/09/2015)

I actually don't mind players being man enough to say "lets go for the win", it wasn't a clear cut 3 points, Farrell was kicking well, but this is the wrong side of the pitch for him and it was not easy at all. Miss it, and wales tap the ball off inside 22, and rumble out the game. There were a couple of issues... Gatland said they were expecting England to go to the front, which shows a lack of imagination under pressure, simple options taken, and predictability is killer at this level. Second, Rob Webber has not been in form at all. His lineouts vs Fiji were at times being collected around the genital area when the guys jumped, and only won because Fiji didn't contest. He doesn't strike me as having the nerve or basic skills to counteract the pressure to then undertake a throw to the tail of the lineout, at which point England would not have been so easily bundled into touch, and had they done so, the Welsh were evidently expecting a throw to the front, so big advantage England. That's also down to a little bit of luck mind. Even if the maul hadn't worked, I'd have been confident of finding some way to get the ball to Brown, May or Watson and saying "Beat a man boys, and the glory is yours", especially with two scrum halves and two out halves defending, I'd have really fancied England in that situation. Unfortunately, not meant to be, but we can't say "we don't want you to be aggressive and attacking minded" and then say "take the safe option, even though it was not a nailed on kick by any stretch of the imagination, and it irks me people here saying "take the points" as if it were a gimme. It wasn't, and needs to stop being presented as such.
Another highly irritating area is in the build up, Woodward et al were saying how phenomenal Gatland was at saying "focus on me, focus on my coaching but dont pressure the boys", and then Lancaster has gone and done this. Now I'm not instantly going to jump ship and say sack him. It was poor selection in terms of Goode on the bench, Nowell or Slade were better impact players who also covered more positions, and could have made the difference, but the starting changes were tactical and fitted a gameplan he had laid out to beat Wales and he stuck to a gameplan. It didnt work, and he'll learn from that. It'll be interesting to see what happens for the next match selection wise, as I would love to see Ford-Burgess/Farrell-Joseph, but can't see this happening. It's attacking but it'll get some excitement for the fans, lets outscore the Aussies and really set the English fans alike... I think Barritt has let himself down in the first couple of games, not just this one against Wales, and didnt take full part in the training camps either. But I dont want to go all gung ho and be taken to the sword by playing Naively, however Joseph i hear is the defensive leader for Bath? So if this is true, he could take over these roles, if Slade plays, i think Barritt is a must from there because we need someone to organise the backline.
However Australia haven't yet clicked as a team either, and they haven't lived up to the World No 2 ***le so far in this tournament. I do believe we have a good chance against them, if we have George on the bench, and potentially would start Mako, who looks to be a much improved scrummager these days, is this true? If we come out with passion and determination, these traits blank out the pressure, being in the zone will alleviate it all and help them play their natural games with focus, so if Lancaster gets them geared up correctly, not too intense but just steely determination, then watch out Aussies

@Colombia

Since you thought Robshaw was wrong, interested to know if you think Japan were wrong to go for the corner.

Different scenario

Japan had nothing to lose by going for it. They go and miss, they lose as expected but keep and gain all the resepct. They gambled, it paid off massively
England had everything to lose by going for it. They went and missed and their prospects look remote, they are ridiculed by all sides and their coach and captain find their jobs getting questioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE Through the team changes SL made it a 'win by 3' match rather than, as we should have done,
a spank them by
15+

Arrogance. When we're you ever gonna spank us by 15+ ? You Lost .. Take the defeat like a man and get on with it

- - - Updated - - -

Typical Pompous scoring . Dan biggar was mom how could he be given a 6 ? Pathetic

Enjoy this while it lasts my Welsh friends! Not sure I'll ever see this again in my lifetime :p

_85788852_rankings.jpg

Enjoy this while it lasts my Welsh friends! Not sure I'll ever see this again in my lifetime :p

_85788852_rankings.jpg
Yeah I think it's relative safe to say ranking changes during the world cup are nonsense and should only ever be assessed post-tournament(RWC, 6N or RC) or post-international window.

Not that I don't think Wales deserve to be temporally higher than us, but 2nd? 3rd in the 6N, above the RC winners and according to that will make the final (if rankings are to be belived)? I think most welsh fans will shocked if they manage that.

Yeah I think it's relative safe to say ranking changes during the world cup are nonsense and should only ever be assessed post-tournament(RWC, 6N or RC) or post-international window.

Not that I don't think Wales deserve to be temporally higher than us, but 2nd? 3rd in the 6N, above the RC winners and according to that will make the final (if rankings are to be belived)? I think most welsh fans will shocked if they manage that.

I'll be more shocked if you make it through the group stages ;)

The group is far from over at this stage, England can still make it through without Wales having any say on the matter. Essentially you're looking at a 4 round boxing match, Wales winning the first round giving England a bloody nose, but plucky Fiji wants to give Wales one and Aus is limbering up to take a whack at both teams.

But we are in the ascendancy we play Fiji at home and just win bonus point or not, you still have to beat Australia , I know which position I'd rather be in !

Very disappointed Wood hasn't been banned and don't agree with comparisons with Tipuric's tackle at all.

But we are in the ascendancy we play Fiji at home and just win bonus point or not, you still have to beat Australia , I know which position I'd rather be in !
Regardless of the Fiji match result you don't definitely qualify as there still have scenarios for both overhaul you. So don't count your chickens until after Saturday...that said I'd rather be in your position.

Crikey you're cockey.

Tell me, what was your last result at home to Fiji? 17-13 or something? No bonus point. What about a few years prior to that? A draw wasn't it...

I still think you'll win but I think it will be the closest Fiji will have come to a win this world cup.

Really? You surprise me. I'm not sure if the betting markets are being slow to react, but Billy's have England to qualify priced at a rather skinny looking 1/2 to qualify from the pool (and still favourites to win the pool!), while Wales are an equally skinny (given the injury crisis with 2 tough pool matches yet to play) 5/1 to make the final. That's a palp if Wales are indeed more likely to make the final than England are to qualify!

Mate. Come on. Don't put the mockers on us. Should know by now anything can happen in this tournament. Fiji will be an incredibly tough game.

Also you lot wouldn't have heard it but you should have heard the sheer arrogance of Greg Martin the Aussie pundit during the post game of this match. He said, 'it puts Australia in a fantastic position because there's no way Wales will beat Australia'. Can't believe they never learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0gV-Wbg04s
It actually almost makes me want England to beat them haha.

Latest posts