• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool B: South Africa vs. Japan (19/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

South%20Africa.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Japan.png

Brighton Community Stadium, Brighton (19/09/2015, 16:45)
Pool B, Round 1

Referee: Jérôme Garcès
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

Teams

South Africa: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Lwazi Mvovo, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Lood de Jager, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Fourie du Preez, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 JP Pietersen

Japan: 1. Masataka Mikami, 2. Shota Horie, 3. Kensuke Hatakeyama, 4. Luke Thompson, 5. Hitoshi Ono, 6. Michael Leitch (c), 7. Michael Broadhurst, 8. Hendrik Tui, 9. Fumiaki Tanaka, 10. Kosei Ono, 11. Kotaro Matsushima, 12. Craig Wing, 13. Male Sa'u, 14. Akihito Yamada, 15. Ayumu Goromaru,

Replacements: 16. Takeshi Kizu, 17. Keita Inagaki, 18. Hiroshi Yama****a, 19. Shinya Makabe, 20. Amanaki Mafi, 21. Atsushi Hiwasa, 22. Harumichi Tatekawa, 23. Karne Hesketh

Last edited:
The Bok team will be announced on Wednesday. And according to team doctor, Craig Roberts every single player is available with selection.

I'm gonna be hnest and say I have no idea what to expect here. There's just so many factors to consider;

1) Eddie Jones probably has a lot of insight into SA rugby that he can use especially how we've struggled to get anything going with 2) French referees' "interpretations". We'll have to get over that as we have more coming.
Then 3) will Japan possibly not field their best XV and rather target other games as 'more winnable'?
4) Will SA rest players or look to set down a 'marker'? What is our best XV? On the one hand our probable best XV will contain many players who are just coming back from injury, many for who this would be their first game so I imagine we'll see a lot of rustiness as those players use these opening matches to try and get match fit. While I think many of our '2nd' choice players would probably be more dangerous or at least more capable of inflating a score line when a match is won which is what I'd be expecting- a tough encounter with the late score line flattering SA somewhat.

Nothing would surprise me though other than Japan giving it to us by 10+; I could see SA by 40 as easily as I could see Japan by 5.

I'll wait for the line-ups.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bok team will be announced on Wednesday. And according to team doctor, Craig Roberts every single player is available with selection.

Though he should be available I read Etzebeth is the only concern for 100% fitness (actual match fitness is big concern though for a great many of our encumbent XV). Etzebeth would be a big blow as he is probably our likeliest player to make a "world XV". We'd probably be alright for Japan still if we only had De Jager, PSdT and Matfield available.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be hnest and say I have no idea what to expect here. There's just so many factors to consider;

1) Eddie Jones probably has a lot of insight into SA rugby that he can use especially how we've struggled to get anything going with 2) French referees' "interpretations". We'll have to get over that as we have more coming.
Then 3) will Japan possibly not field their best XV and rather target other games as 'more winnable'?
4) Will SA rest players or look to set down a 'marker'? What is our best XV? On the one hand our probable best XV will contain many players who are just coming back from injury, many for who this would be their first game so I imagine we'll see a lot of rustiness as those players use these opening matches to try and get match fit. While I think many of our '2nd' choice players would probably be more dangerous or at least more capable of inflating a score line when a match is won which is what I'd be expecting- a tough encounter with the late score line flattering SA somewhat.

Nothing would surprise me though other than Japan giving it to us by 10+; I could see SA by 40 as easily as I could see Japan by 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Though he should be available I read Etzebeth is the only concern for 100% fitness (actual match fitness is big concern though for a great many of our encumbent XV). Etzebeth would be a big blow as he is probably our likeliest player to make a "world XV". We'd probably be alright for Japan still if we only had De Jager, PSdT and Matfield available.

I think we will have insight about the Japan Players too. Some of our players have been playing in Japan, and will know most of the guys in that squad. Most of our players have also played under Eddie Jones when he was Jake White's assistant.

I think we will be going into this game to get our execution right and give most of the guys a run that hasn't maybe played as much this year. I think Duane Vermeulen, Fourie Du Preez, Willem Alberts and Jean De Villiers will all get a start.

I think we will have insight about the Japan Players too. Some of our players have been playing in Japan, and will know most of the guys in that squad. Most of our players have also played under Eddie Jones when he was Jake White's assistant.

I think we will be going into this game to get our execution right and give most of the guys a run that hasn't maybe played as much this year. I think Duane Vermeulen, Fourie Du Preez, Willem Alberts and Jean De Villiers will all get a start.

That's true. FdP is a Suntory mainstay while Burger has gone on many a Japanese stint and the Sun Goliath are supplying the most talent to Japan if I'm not mistaken.

I have to say I am very excited to see the FdP, Alberts and Vermeulen back. JdV's inclusion I still have a lot of reservations over but we'll see how far along his rehabilitation has come (my impression is his inclusion has been forced) and if my cynicism is misplaced.

I'm hoping for:

Mtawarira, Du Plessis, .. probably Du Plessis (still think our best props in Kitshoff and Koch are at home) (Nyakane, Strauss, Malherbe)
Etzebeth, PSdT (De Jager)
Louw, Alberts, Vermeulen (Kolisi)
Du Preez (... no comment)
Lambie (Pollard)
Habana, De Allende, Kriel, Mvovo, Le Roux (De Villiers)

- - - Updated - - -

I would say that you are going to get the Japanese second stringers, as they have there game against Scotland, which they will have targeted, on Wednesday ... I'm not trying to disrespect Japan at all, but I'd expect that South Africa will run away with it around the 60 minute mark, if they haven't already done so

Got tickets for this one. Can't wait!

May have to get myself a Springbok jersey.

The main questions that need answering at the moment are:
- Who is our starting half-back pairing and
- How are we going to fit Jean de Villiers into the side, if at all.
- Willie?

I think the starting forward 8 is pretty much nailed on assuming no injuries, the backline is full of question marks with perhaps the only secure player being Habana (not because he's the best player ever, just because he is better than any other option).

I think the front row is going to be the Sharks front row of Beast, Bismarck and Jannie.
The Second Row will most probably be Victor and Etzebeth or PSDT
Loose forwards, my guess would be Flouw, Alberts and Vermeulen
halfback would be Fourie Du Preez and Handre Pollard
Centres depending on which position JDV will play, either Kriel or De Allende as his centre pair.
Wings will be Habana and JPP
Fullback will be Willie.

As for the bench I think HM will spring in a few surprizes here
Coenie and Nyakane as the props with Strauss as hooker.
Lood or PSDT as lock replacement
Kolisi or Burger for the loose trio (most probably Schalla)
Paige for Scrumhalf
Lambie for Fullback and Fly Half
Mvovo or Kirchner for outside backs

The main questions that need answering at the moment are:
- Who is our starting half-back pairing and
- How are we going to fit Jean de Villiers into the side, if at all.
- Willie?

I think the starting forward 8 is pretty much nailed on assuming no injuries, the backline is full of question marks with perhaps the only secure player being Habana (not because he's the best player ever, just because he is better than any other option).

FR - Sharks front row it is. I expect we'll see Nyakane, Strauss and Malherbe on the bench. I think we could've done better but oh, well.
SR - Etzebeth will start if fit. Matfield will probably be starting and should consider himelf lucky IMO. De Jager and PSdT get way more stuck into a game.
Loosies - Louw (only fetcher we're taking along), Alberts, Vermeulen to start. I think its a coin toss for the bench option. I think Buger has the inside track but wouldn't be surprised to see Kolisi get a run (maybe even starting ahead of Alberts) to give him game time and- I hate saying this as I am a big fan- ease some political pressure? The other option we've seen HM use is De Jager and PSdT on the bench with PSdT like-for-like (as close as we have in the squad) cover for Alberts.

Halves - I see FdP and Pollard starting with Paige and Lambie on the bench. I wouldn't mind Lambie being seen as 1st choice though I think Pollard has the higher ceiling.

Centers -... I suspect JdV will have a free ride with Kriel the likelier to make way if what we've seen in our loss against Argentina is a clue. I'd be more willing to accept JdV at 12 though with Kriel at 13 and De Allende at 14 where he made his mark for the Stormers in 2014.
Outside - Habana, Le Roux and one of JPP and Mvovo (its a straight up coin toss IMO). How we are going to accommodate DDA, JdV and Kriel will determine the 22 shirt; I see JPP or Mvovo getting the chop before one of our centers.

The Boks are the team to beat at this RWC.
They will run up a cricket score against the Japanese.

So we'll have t wait for tomorrow probably noonish but I'm getting excited. Japan probalt won't test us as much as our matches against Samoa and Scotland but we'll probably be fielding the strongest side we've had since Meyer took over. I'm not 100% happy everywhere and especially feel we've missed better players for the back-ups but that said I don't feel we've missed anyone who'd feature in our best starting XV (bar Kitshoff but his case is just an unfortunate one timing-wise; can't blame the selectors and I think SA hasn't experimented enough regarding selections and game plan-wsie to fully utilize our wing positions but that has t start at CC and SR level so again, no fault of HM).

I mean, I'm pretty sure FdP will be miles ahead of what we've seen from Pienaar game management wise. Its not like Pienaar has taken the line on at all so even if FdP doesn't/cannot snipe like he used to its not like we are losing anything and with Pollard/Lambie we now have that running threat in the inside channels that Steyn wasn't. Then there is Willem Alberts who is the perfect player for tight RWC matches and one the Bokke has been missing big time (top current Bok for win % at ~79% quite a ways ahead of FdP who comes in 2nd with only ~73%). Vermeulen another coming back. Etzebeth and PSdT have been there on and off but never together or in tandem with our full 1st choice back row. DDA and Kriel are also a rather newish combination and though the team is largely untested and young it just feels to me like things are coming together. Jean de Villiers though.. that's a question mark. We may have a huge re-jig of the back lne to accommodate our encumbent captain. He may not even last for more than 2 games if the trends continue. I have no idea what Meyer's plans are surroundng JdV.

Last edited:
So we'll have t wait for tomorrow probably noonish but I'm getting excited. Japan probalt won't test us as much as our matches against Samoa and Scotland but we'll probably be fielding the strongest side we've had since Meyer took over. I'm not 100% happy everywhere and especially feel we've missed better players for the back-ups but that said I don't feel we've missed anyone who'd feature in our best starting XV (bar Kitshoff but his case is just an unfortunate one timing-wise; can't blame the selectors and I think SA hasn't experimented enough regarding selections and game plan-wsie to fully utilize our wing positions but that has t start at CC and SR level so again, no fault of HM).

I mean, I'm pretty sure FdP will be miles ahead of what we've seen from Pienaar game management wise. Its not like Pienaar has taken the line on at all so even if FdP doesn't/cannot snipe like he used to its not like we are losing anything and with Pollard/Lambie we now have that running threat in the inside channels that Steyn wasn't. Then there is Willem Alberts who is the perfect player for tight RWC matches and one the Bokke has been missing big time (top current Bok for win % at ~79% quite a ways ahead of FdP who comes in 2nd with only ~73%). Vermeulen another coming back. Etzebeth and PSdT have been there on and off but never together or in tandem with our full 1st choice back row. DDA and Kriel are also a rather newish combination and though the team is largely untested and young it just feels to me like things are coming together. Jean de Villiers though.. that's a question mark. We may have a huge re-jig of the back lne to accommodate our encumbent captain. He may not even last for more than 2 games if the trends continue. I have no idea what Meyer's plans are surroundng JdV.

I suspect it would be more around 2 pm local time for us. This time of the year, England is 2 hours behind us.

As for Fourie Du Preez, if anything is to go by Handre Pollard's interview this morning on Blitz, then FdP is in very good form and that Handre is looking forward to playing with the veteran again. I can still remember that it was their partnership that made a huge impact last year vs. the AB's when Pollard scored 2 tries.

Also Interestingly enough, our kickers have had Drop Goal sessions...

Yeah, I meant noonish over there.

Drop goals are critical for those pressure games later on where the ref refuses to make calls.

Bok Team has been announced a bit earlier than was reported. I have added it to the OP. Some suprizing decisions, but a well balanced team.

Eben Etzebeth and Duane Vermeulen has been given another week to get their body at 100%.

Not too impressed with this team TBH. It should do for Japan unless we get big surprises but while the pack (understanding Etzebeth and Vermeulen are being spared) is fine that backline makes me cringe. Heineken, you may say balanced but I say compromized. Pienaar, JdV and Kirchner offer very little.

The worst thing that can happen for us is Kirchner, JdV and Pienaar actually looking like having decent games which they probably will unless Japan put the sort of pressure on us that I don't think they will with the pack we are fielding.

Not too impressed with this team TBH. It should do for Japan unless we get big surprises but while the pack (understanding Etzebeth and Vermeulen are being spared) is fine that backline makes me cringe. Heineken, you may say balanced but I say compromized. Pienaar, JdV and Kirchner offer very little.

The worst thing that can happen for us is Kirchner, JdV and Pienaar actually looking like having decent games which they probably will unless Japan put the sort of pressure on us that I don't think they will with the pack we are fielding.

Well clearly this is not the team that will play against Samoa or Scotland.

Etzebeth, PSDT, Vermeulen, Du Preez, Pollard, De Allende, and Willie Le Roux all not starting.

I say balanced in that for a weakened team we will be able to do the necessary things to win easily.

Matfield, Habana, JdV and Kirchner. It won't make much difference in terms of this match, but surely SA have some better/younger guys than that? I think Japan should reserve a couple of their key figures (such as Michael Leitch who has had a good season at the Chiefs) for the likes of Samoa and Scotland, and just play like mad men in those games. I'm not sure if this is the match the Japanese should expend all their neat tricks and top collective efforts.

Latest posts